Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kolli online abuse 14:15 - Aug 7 with 22567 viewsRangersw12

What's a matter with people FFS

Kolli online abuse on 11:58 - Aug 8 with 2129 viewsMyke

Kolli online abuse on 08:48 - Aug 8 by Northernr

I'll be sure to read this mate.
I'd be interested to know across the group if/how it affected their sleep.
I'm a terrible sleeper, wake up multiple times a night, sometimes never get back off and have to get up at 3am and do stuff, multiple regular and recurring nightmares.

After lockdown lifted I went travelling round Greece for a month and forced myself for that month to do nothing - no social media, no LFW, no lap top, no phone. I would turn it on and catch up with whatsapp messages on the days I was changing islands on the ferry, then turn it off again.

I found by the end of the month that I was sleeping straight through, and the night terrors had stopped.

It was quite alarming really.

Since I've come back I've brought a few things in like my phone goes to sleep after 7pm so I don't get alerts, I don't look at it in the hour before I'm going to bed, and I go to bed with a book for half an hour before sleep. All of which has helped a bit, but not as much as just getting rid of the fcking thing for a month altogether.

I think the damage doing by staring at our screens won't become apparent for another 20 years or so, when there will be numerous (independent) studies completed. It is quite like smoking was in the 60s - 80's Back then EVERYONE smoked (I know vaping is very prevalent now but that is a separate argument) TV ads happily promoted smoking as a way of managing anxiety and stress. Pregnant women were encouraged to smoke to help them relax during the pregnancy. Now of course we know the huge damage that smoking does to us, I believe the same will happen with staring at various aps on a tiny screen for several hours a day - but not for some years yet.
Kolli online abuse on 11:59 - Aug 8 with 2119 viewsQPunkR

QPR - "shit but local"

Kolli online abuse on 12:03 - Aug 8 with 2074 viewsslmrstid

Finally put the ignore button on, can't be doing with people who are deliberately provocative behind their keyboard and go on, and on, and on, and on, and on, because they've clearly got nothing better to do with their life and time. Always a sign of deep unhappiness to me.

I'm sorry for what your family has had to go through Dorse.
Kolli online abuse on 12:19 - Aug 8 with 1880 viewsSheffieldHoop

Kolli online abuse on 12:03 - Aug 8 by slmrstid

Finally put the ignore button on, can't be doing with people who are deliberately provocative behind their keyboard and go on, and on, and on, and on, and on, because they've clearly got nothing better to do with their life and time. Always a sign of deep unhappiness to me.

I have 2 young children and live in a country that prioritizes "Not looking racist" above their basic safety.

If you're not deeply unhappy, then you're not paying attention.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Kolli online abuse on 12:43 - Aug 8 with 1794 viewsHayesender

Kolli online abuse on 09:53 - Aug 8 by Superhoop83

I know this will go down like a lead balloon, especially two days before the start of the season, but for me it's alcohol that kills sleep.

Waking up at around 3am and not being able to go back to sleep is standard for me after a drink, of any amount, and usually the night after that if I had more than a few. I'm lucky that I sleep well when I'm sober, so the contrast is very sharp.

I'll sometimes have broken sober sleep if I get a call of nature in the night and go back to bed thinking about work. However, for me alcohol is the absolute killer and it can take me days to sleep well after a big session.

Yours,

Buzz Killington

That's really interesting. I love going to the pub or my local club for a drink, but due to health reasons I've cut it right back the last few months.

But one thing I have noticed, is for the next 24/48 hours after a good drink, I feel depressed, like really depressed and anxious. Tired constantly, but struggle to sleep, and when I do nod off, I'm awake again after three or four hours, looking blankly at my phone.

Doing what clive did and fcking off round the Greek islands with no social media sounds bliss

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Kolli online abuse on 12:52 - Aug 8 with 1759 viewsJuzzie

Kolli online abuse on 10:58 - Aug 8 by SheffieldHoop

This is the part I'm struggling with a bit. If he was born in London, doesn't that make him English by our usual standard? We all know representing England in football is about as English as its possible to be. All I can say is that generations of my family fought in wars or whatever. Great Uncle John in Crimea 1854 still fighting on horseback with swords. Who cares. Irrelevant to today's conversation. Fine.

So considering Rayan is as English as any of us - and we all accept that - Is it even possible for him to be racially abused? I genuinely had no idea he was anything other than White & English?

“ This is the part I'm struggling with a bit. If he was born in London, doesn't that make him English…….”

You’re looking at in in black and white, it doesn’t work like that. Understanding that may help make take a massive leap into realising how it actually is.

My wife was born and brought up in Kyrgyzstan but is of Russian descent.
Despite living her life there until her early twenties when she decided to leave, she has never ever felt Kyrgyz.

She had a Kyrgyz passport, she now has a British passport (has done for nigh in 20+ years and from before we met) yet in her heart and soul she feels Russian, regardless of where she was born of what passport she holds.

Yes, at first I struggled to get my head around it but once I understood and respected where she was coming from, I get it.

In summary, it no one else’s business but their own.
No one else has the right to tell or decide for people as to how they feel as in terms of a person, culture, etc. Don’t just look at someone’s birth certificate or passport, it’s never that straightforward.
Kolli online abuse on 13:01 - Aug 8 with 1592 viewsSheffieldHoop

Kolli online abuse on 12:52 - Aug 8 by Juzzie

“ This is the part I'm struggling with a bit. If he was born in London, doesn't that make him English…….”

You’re looking at in in black and white, it doesn’t work like that. Understanding that may help make take a massive leap into realising how it actually is.

My wife was born and brought up in Kyrgyzstan but is of Russian descent.
Despite living her life there until her early twenties when she decided to leave, she has never ever felt Kyrgyz.

She had a Kyrgyz passport, she now has a British passport (has done for nigh in 20+ years and from before we met) yet in her heart and soul she feels Russian, regardless of where she was born of what passport she holds.

Yes, at first I struggled to get my head around it but once I understood and respected where she was coming from, I get it.

In summary, it no one else’s business but their own.
No one else has the right to tell or decide for people as to how they feel as in terms of a person, culture, etc. Don’t just look at someone’s birth certificate or passport, it’s never that straightforward.

All well and good, but I dunno if you've seen the news, we're living through a time when people are being called far right for not believing that a Rwandan is a Welshman.

You can't have it both ways - Either your nationality is set by your place of birth and cannot be argued, or it isn't and can.

I used to believe the former, as that's what we're told we have to believe in these pathetic arguments about who is or isn't racist, but in reality everybody knows it's the latter.

Kolli online abuse on 13:06 - Aug 8 with 1567 viewsJuzzie

Kolli online abuse on 13:01 - Aug 8 by SheffieldHoop

All well and good, but I dunno if you've seen the news, we're living through a time when people are being called far right for not believing that a Rwandan is a Welshman.

You can't have it both ways - Either your nationality is set by your place of birth and cannot be argued, or it isn't and can.

I used to believe the former, as that's what we're told we have to believe in these pathetic arguments about who is or isn't racist, but in reality everybody knows it's the latter.

The world should revolve by the rules of SheffieldHoop?

You sound like my mum, she cannot understand how things can be anything other (and this is not a left or right thing) than how she understands and believes they should be.

Ain’t gonna happen.

Edit: the point I’m trying to make is that it is not black and white, nothing ever is and is why there is so much confliction.

You keep saying that people should just ‘ignore it’ when they are getting abused online but you are getting yourself in a lather and defending to the hilt that people are being called far right because they are questioning the nationality of someone.
In the great scheme of things, what’s it got to do with you? Why are you crusading it?

Why don’t you follow your own advice and ignore it? As a newish Dad, and congratulations on that, there are a million things closer to home that’s more important. Focus on your family and let everyone one else worry about what’s going on in the world. Trust me, it’s so much better.

[Post edited 8 Aug 13:22]
Login to get fewer ads

Kolli online abuse on 13:14 - Aug 8 with 1511 viewsdaveB

This is the part I'm struggling with a bit. If he was born in London, doesn't that make him English by our usual standard? We all know representing England in football is about as English as its possible to be. All I can say is that generations of my family fought in wars or whatever. Great Uncle John in Crimea 1854 still fighting on horseback with swords. Who cares. Irrelevant to today's conversation. Fine.

So considering Rayan is as English as any of us - and we all accept that - Is it even possible for him to be racially abused? I genuinely had no idea he was anything other than White & English?

Your Race is not the same as your nationality so yes no matter which country you are from it is possible to be racially abused
Kolli online abuse on 13:15 - Aug 8 with 1464 viewsSheffieldHoop

Kolli online abuse on 13:06 - Aug 8 by Juzzie

The world should revolve by the rules of SheffieldHoop?

You sound like my mum, she cannot understand how things can be anything other (and this is not a left or right thing) than how she understands and believes they should be.

Ain’t gonna happen.

Edit: the point I’m trying to make is that it is not black and white, nothing ever is and is why there is so much confliction.

You keep saying that people should just ‘ignore it’ when they are getting abused online but you are getting yourself in a lather and defending to the hilt that people are being called far right because they are questioning the nationality of someone.
In the great scheme of things, what’s it got to do with you? Why are you crusading it?

Why don’t you follow your own advice and ignore it? As a newish Dad, and congratulations on that, there are a million things closer to home that’s more important. Focus on your family and let everyone one else worry about what’s going on in the world. Trust me, it’s so much better.

[Post edited 8 Aug 13:22]

Not really. I'm constantly asking you lot to clarify what the rules are, as the rules seem to apply differently based on who you are and what you think. I just see it as another symptom of the 2 tier society we live in, that the vast majority of people on here deny exists.

People on here only accuse me of trolling because deep down they haven't got any answers to the questions I pose. Perhaps if you lot had better answers, I'd stop asking?

EDIT in response to your edit - One of the reasons I struggle to ignore it is that I live around it. My Church is full of Muslims pretending to convert in aid of their asylum appeal. It only takes 1 rejection and who knows what happens? Do you think I should keep taking my children to Church with me on a Sunday? Is that the responsible thing to do? Did you not read about the Liverpool Women's hospital attack?

Had a thing recently on a bus, 2 asylum seekers from a local hotel got on demanding to be taken to the hospital. Bus driver says call an ambulance, I ain't moving until you get off. After 20-30 minutes it obviously ended up in a fight with these 2 asylum seekers spitting in people's faces. I'm on the bus with my (at the time) 1 year old trying to get to an appointment.

Last night I'm being sent videos of "Muslim Defence League" rioters marching around Sheffield with weapons looking for people to attack, while the media is busy pretending everything is fine and normal. How am I supposed to ignore it?
[Post edited 8 Aug 13:34]

Kolli online abuse on 13:17 - Aug 8 with 1441 viewsSheffieldHoop

Kolli online abuse on 13:14 - Aug 8 by daveB

Your Race is not the same as your nationality so yes no matter which country you are from it is possible to be racially abused

But racially he looks white to me? Maybe I need to refer back to my Deuluxe Colour chart.

And was born in England? So he's a white Englishman isn't he?

Kolli online abuse on 13:24 - Aug 8 with 1416 viewsJuzzie

Kolli online abuse on 13:15 - Aug 8 by SheffieldHoop

Not really. I'm constantly asking you lot to clarify what the rules are, as the rules seem to apply differently based on who you are and what you think. I just see it as another symptom of the 2 tier society we live in, that the vast majority of people on here deny exists.

People on here only accuse me of trolling because deep down they haven't got any answers to the questions I pose. Perhaps if you lot had better answers, I'd stop asking?

EDIT in response to your edit - One of the reasons I struggle to ignore it is that I live around it. My Church is full of Muslims pretending to convert in aid of their asylum appeal. It only takes 1 rejection and who knows what happens? Do you think I should keep taking my children to Church with me on a Sunday? Is that the responsible thing to do? Did you not read about the Liverpool Women's hospital attack?

Had a thing recently on a bus, 2 asylum seekers from a local hotel got on demanding to be taken to the hospital. Bus driver says call an ambulance, I ain't moving until you get off. After 20-30 minutes it obviously ended up in a fight with these 2 asylum seekers spitting in people's faces. I'm on the bus with my (at the time) 1 year old trying to get to an appointment.

Last night I'm being sent videos of "Muslim Defence League" rioters marching around Sheffield with weapons looking for people to attack, while the media is busy pretending everything is fine and normal. How am I supposed to ignore it?
[Post edited 8 Aug 13:34]

Why are you asking people on here to ‘clarify the rules’? It’s not anyone on here’s job to.
I suggest you go to your local MP’s next surgery and ask them, that’s the first step into engaging with the law/rule makers of this country.
Kolli online abuse on 13:27 - Aug 8 with 1377 viewsRanger123

Thicker than a submarine door
Kolli online abuse on 13:30 - Aug 8 with 1359 viewsFDC

Kolli online abuse on 13:27 - Aug 8 by Ranger123

"Interesting thoughts"
Kolli online abuse on 13:33 - Aug 8 with 1281 viewsSheffieldHoop

Kolli online abuse on 13:27 - Aug 8 by Ranger123

Yeah, I'm 31 with 2 kids and a house in an economy configured to prevent me from achieving any of it, I'm perfectly fine with how thick I am, thanks.

Kolli online abuse on 13:34 - Aug 8 with 1278 viewsSheffieldHoop

Kolli online abuse on 13:24 - Aug 8 by Juzzie

Why are you asking people on here to ‘clarify the rules’? It’s not anyone on here’s job to.
I suggest you go to your local MP’s next surgery and ask them, that’s the first step into engaging with the law/rule makers of this country.

My new local MP is a trans rights activist.

Kolli online abuse on 13:44 - Aug 8 with 1227 viewsJuzzie

Kolli online abuse on 13:34 - Aug 8 by SheffieldHoop

Does that prevent them from being able to clarify aspects of this nations laws/rules?

I have a Facebook friend who I eventually unfollowed because he became insufferable.
He was very much Remain and once the referendum happened he would go into meltdown on a weekly basis about it all. He’s just retired and is one more post away from a heart attack.
He kept going on and on about his local MP and how he’d let everyone down so I said to him “why don’t you bullet-point your concerns on a pice of paper and go and talk to him about it. Keep it rational, keep it polite, but overall insist on answers and don’t accept any typical politician’s answers which is saying anything other than answering the question”.
A few weeks later and after more mouth-frothy post I asked him if he’d seen his MP, no response.
This happened a couple more times. I’m guessing he never went, just happy to constantly get angry all the time on Facebook. It’s not worth it.

If I may give the same advice to you, if you have questions go and speak to the appropriate people.
I’d also kindly recommend perhaps taking a step back because it feels to me you’re just getting so wound up all the time. Divert your time and energy to your lovely family. They want your time and attention, they don’t want to see you getting angry on a something (ie social media/forums) that really isn’t that important.
[Post edited 8 Aug 13:59]
Kolli online abuse on 13:50 - Aug 8 with 1162 viewsSheffieldHoop

Kolli online abuse on 13:44 - Aug 8 by Juzzie

Does that prevent them from being able to clarify aspects of this nations laws/rules?

I have a Facebook friend who I eventually unfollowed because he became insufferable.
He was very much Remain and once the referendum happened he would go into meltdown on a weekly basis about it all. He’s just retired and is one more post away from a heart attack.
He kept going on and on about his local MP and how he’d let everyone down so I said to him “why don’t you bullet-point your concerns on a pice of paper and go and talk to him about it. Keep it rational, keep it polite, but overall insist on answers and don’t accept any typical politician’s answers which is saying anything other than answering the question”.
A few weeks later and after more mouth-frothy post I asked him if he’d seen his MP, no response.
This happened a couple more times. I’m guessing he never went, just happy to constantly get angry all the time on Facebook. It’s not worth it.

If I may give the same advice to you, if you have questions go and speak to the appropriate people.
I’d also kindly recommend perhaps taking a step back because it feels to me you’re just getting so wound up all the time. Divert your time and energy to your lovely family. They want your time and attention, they don’t want to see you getting angry on a something (ie social media/forums) that really isn’t that important.
[Post edited 8 Aug 13:59]

I think it tells me enough to know precisely what attitude he'll take towards me.

I actually raised the Bus incident with him on the phone while he was trying to win my vote prior to the election. He was every bit as dismissive of my experience as you'd expect. "Should've called the police by the sound of it" - Well durr. That is who told us they were from the fcking hotel. Did anything get done about it or them? I got no further news, so I presume not.

The message from our MPs - Which is the exact same the message I get on here - Is ignore it. Tolerate it. Accept it.

You, Clive, anybody else that finds it depressing sharing a football club with somebody who thinks as bluntly as I do - Sorry but that's how I see it and I won't pretend I don't just because we all support the same football club.
[Post edited 8 Aug 14:24]

Kolli online abuse on 13:51 - Aug 8 with 1186 viewsSuperhoop83

Kolli online abuse on 12:43 - Aug 8 by Hayesender

That's really interesting. I love going to the pub or my local club for a drink, but due to health reasons I've cut it right back the last few months.

But one thing I have noticed, is for the next 24/48 hours after a good drink, I feel depressed, like really depressed and anxious. Tired constantly, but struggle to sleep, and when I do nod off, I'm awake again after three or four hours, looking blankly at my phone.

Doing what clive did and fcking off round the Greek islands with no social media sounds bliss

I won't bore others on here about the downsides of drinking, but I recommend Alcohol Explained (both 1 and 2, although 2 is better imo) by William Porter if you're interested in what drinking does to us, and our brain in particular.

I've wrestled with quitting booze for about 3 years and I think I'm just about ready to do it, but I've said that before during 50 and 100 day dry spells which ended on trips away. It also doesn't help that I don't know a single sober person, or that I support QPR.
[Post edited 8 Aug 13:51]

Suffering since 1978.

Kolli online abuse on 13:54 - Aug 8 with 1139 viewsmikeygunn

Kolli online abuse on 13:34 - Aug 8 by SheffieldHoop

You ok hun?
Kolli online abuse on 14:08 - Aug 8 with 1033 viewsdaveB

Kolli online abuse on 13:17 - Aug 8 by SheffieldHoop

But racially he looks white to me? Maybe I need to refer back to my Deuluxe Colour chart.

And was born in England? So he's a white Englishman isn't he?

Even if he was a white Englishman he could still be racially abused, I'm not sure why this is difficult to understand
Kolli online abuse on 14:11 - Aug 8 with 993 viewsSheffieldHoop

Kolli online abuse on 14:08 - Aug 8 by daveB

Even if he was a white Englishman he could still be racially abused, I'm not sure why this is difficult to understand

Last I heard on here - Reverse racism doesn't exist?

Kolli online abuse on 14:27 - Aug 8 with 940 viewsSydneyRs

Kolli online abuse on 12:03 - Aug 8 by slmrstid

You certainly don't do this if you have a joyful existence that's for sure.
Kolli online abuse on 14:34 - Aug 8 with 876 viewsSheffieldHoop

Kolli online abuse on 14:27 - Aug 8 by SydneyRs

You certainly don't do this if you have a joyful existence that's for sure.

Did that make you feel better?

Kolli online abuse on 14:41 - Aug 8 with 837 viewsqprxtc

This is a right f ucking larf. Just the antidote to the shite in the world right now.

I’m going to go down the pub drink a shitload of Guinness and a litre of Sherry back home. Talk bollocks up to my eyeballs.

And then put this thread in the f ucking bin of my brain and some twa t on ignore.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024