Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . 14:30 - May 27 with 9775 viewsJonDoeman

Stoke City hope to discover on Monday whether Mark Hughes is willing to make a return to management at the Britannia Stadium, ESPN understands http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1461224/stoke-city-waiting-mark-hughes-make-de

It Is What It Is !!

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 23:49 - May 27 with 1597 viewsNorthernr

I'm amazed and yet not amazed:

Not amazed:
Obviously he was dreadful at QPR but the English attitude to managers is odd. In Italy a manager, particularly in the lower leagues, can survive three, four,maybe five bad jobs and still get another. Here people like Peter Reidy Reid, Alex McLeish etc always seem to get another job, but others are written off after one bad one. It seems to be based entirely on getting your face in the media here. Hughes has no doubt got Kia out there talking about what a shambles QPR is, no infrastructure, no youth, no training ground, no scouting etc miracle he kept us up in the first season, would take years to turn the club around etc etc and he'd be right on all of those points. Stoke will look at the things we looked at - got Fulham to eighth, finished in the top ten with Blackburn and got to a cup final, brought players like Dembele, Kompany, Samba to this country. They may well think they're getting into something good here - experienced manager who has done well with clubs of a similar size to them in the past available for nothing after one bad job at a club that was set up to fail whoever was in charge.

Amazed:
Nothing that Stoke are saying makes Mark Hughes seem like a good idea. This idea that they've spent far too much in the transfer market and want to steer away from that in favour of a more long term, continental style where players are bought young and the academy is focused on is the exact opposite of what Hughes did at QPR and Man City, and the reason he left Fulham. Since leaving Blackburn Hughes' MO has been to get into a club, get Rigg and Kia involved, get the cheque book out and go bloody mad with it. When Fulham stopped him doing it he walked out and said they weren't ambitious enough. If Stoke want somebody who is going to come in and work with their existing DoF in a continental set up where he is effectively a head coach who works with the players he is given, without Rigg, without Kia, and without a load of blank cheques then why on earth are they looking at Mark Hughes? And why, given what a dreadful job he did with us, is he still somehow in a position where he can leave Stoke hanging while he "thinks a few things over" ???!!! He should be grateful somebody north of Matlock Town in the football pyramid is showing any interest whatsoever.

All I can say is I wish I had Joorabchian in my corner. That crook could sell sand in the desert. I'd fancy myself to get a manager job somewhere if he was my agent. (sorry, adviser)
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 01:09 - May 28 with 1560 viewsTacticalR

But Kia is not Mark Hughes' agent (for the cynical might construe that as a conflict of interest). No my friends, he is merely his advisor.

Air hostess clique

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 04:07 - May 28 with 1533 viewsCanadaRanger

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 14:45 - May 27 by imustbemad

Fingers crossed he gets it. Canot stand Sjoke and Hughes will then be off the QPR wage bill. Win Win.

+1

And maybe he'll re-sign some of his amazing former players.

I'd let Boswinga go for 5 million + Peter Crouch...

If he asks nicely...
Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 05:07 - May 28 with 1525 viewsexiled_dictator

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 01:09 - May 28 by TacticalR

But Kia is not Mark Hughes' agent (for the cynical might construe that as a conflict of interest). No my friends, he is merely his advisor.

Although routinely described in the press as a football agent, Joorabchian is not a licensed agent. The involvement of unlicensed agents in transfers in the English Premier League is prohibited by the Football Association, therefore, Joorabchian does not himself claim to be an agent, saying "I think the agency business is very different". He describes his business as advising players on their rights, and clubs on transfers and contracts. Obviously, it is most desirable if you have the situation where you are advising both the player and the club, thereby creating a double financial whammy, or what is more generally known as a 'Kia'.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 08:03 - May 28 with 1493 viewsade_qpr

If Hughes gets the job what will be Sjokes relegation odds?

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 22:56 - May 28 with 1374 viewsLblock

Please let it be true let it be true let it be true

The Beeb now reporting successful talks and could be announced by end of the week
I'm out from 1pm on Friday so if this gets confirmed by then I may have one extra drink

I wish them well in their partnership and both receive what they are truly owed

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 23:02 - May 28 with 1363 viewscarrotcrunch_R

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 08:03 - May 28 by ade_qpr

If Hughes gets the job what will be Sjokes relegation odds?

It might be best to bet on them now you will get better odds
Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 23:12 - May 28 with 1336 viewseghamranger

If you look on the bbc sport website,its gives Hughes figures compared to Pulis. Hughes wins easily and on paper its a no brainer. Good luck to Stoke, think he will do a job there.

Will get him off our books and they will crash and burn!
Login to get fewer ads

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 23:32 - May 28 with 1309 viewsTacticalR

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 23:12 - May 28 by eghamranger

If you look on the bbc sport website,its gives Hughes figures compared to Pulis. Hughes wins easily and on paper its a no brainer. Good luck to Stoke, think he will do a job there.

Will get him off our books and they will crash and burn!

Do you mean this article?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22689474

Their win rates in the Premiership are quite similar (especially when you factor in that Hughes has managed at 'ambitious' clubs like Manchester City), plus Pulis has never been relegated.

But as Northernr pointed out, they seem to want hire Hughes to do the opposite of what he has been doing.

Air hostess clique

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 00:01 - May 29 with 1276 viewsbarbicanranger

Sorry if I've missed something, but how do we know this lightens the load we have to pay to Hughes?
Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 01:41 - May 29 with 1240 viewsGetMeRangers

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 00:01 - May 29 by barbicanranger

Sorry if I've missed something, but how do we know this lightens the load we have to pay to Hughes?

As once he starts to manage someone else his previous contract has to be torn up. If not, he has to sit on gardening leave until the contract expires
Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 06:21 - May 29 with 1211 viewsLblock

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 01:41 - May 29 by GetMeRangers

As once he starts to manage someone else his previous contract has to be torn up. If not, he has to sit on gardening leave until the contract expires

Not quite the case.

I understand if he takes a wage less than his contract with us we have to pick up the slack. The disparity cannot be stupid and his new wage would have to be "reasonable and comparative to the average amount for similar roles"

In typical QPR fashion he'll probably go there and be a right success but I don't really care; I just want his chapter with us closed and him being somewhere where we have a chance of our paths crossing again
Home to Sjoke in one of the cups next season would be in order!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 09:24 - May 29 with 1145 viewsLoft1979

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 04:07 - May 28 by CanadaRanger

+1

And maybe he'll re-sign some of his amazing former players.

I'd let Boswinga go for 5 million + Peter Crouch...

If he asks nicely...

+2
Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 09:28 - May 29 with 1134 viewsJonDoeman

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 06:21 - May 29 by Lblock

Not quite the case.

I understand if he takes a wage less than his contract with us we have to pick up the slack. The disparity cannot be stupid and his new wage would have to be "reasonable and comparative to the average amount for similar roles"

In typical QPR fashion he'll probably go there and be a right success but I don't really care; I just want his chapter with us closed and him being somewhere where we have a chance of our paths crossing again
Home to Sjoke in one of the cups next season would be in order!!

That cannot be true.

It Is What It Is !!

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 09:30 - May 29 with 1127 viewsJonDoeman

Sparky set for Stoke: Mark Hughes set to be unveiled as new Stoke City boss today
29 May 2013 09:08

Former QPR, Blackburn and Wales boss set to return to top-flight management with the Potters, who are expected to announce Hughes' appointment today
Back in the game: Mark Hughes is set to be unveiled as Stoke City's new manager Back in the game: Mark Hughes is set to be unveiled as Stoke City's new manager
PA

Mark Hughes is set to be unveiled as Stoke City's new boss today.

Hughes has agreed a contract at the Britannia after lengthy discussions with chairman Peter Coates, chief executive Tony Scholes and technical director Mark Cartwright.

Stoke targeted Hughes after being impressed with the jobs he did at Blackburn and Fulham where he worked within a budget and kept the club well placed in the Premier League.

Mirror Sport revealed on Monday how Hughes was edging closer to a return to management after his nightmare at QPR. It is believed Hughes has agreed a rolling one year contract.

And now Hughes is back in the management game but will be expected to cut the club's budget, reduce the number of high earners and reshape the squad in a "different direction."

Stoke want to focus on the academy, developing younger players and also playing more expansive football after fans got fed-up of the direct style under Tony Pulis.

Hughes, set to bring in his trusted backroom team of Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki, will also be expected to work alongside technical director Mark Cartwright.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mark-hughes-set-stoke-city-1918760#i
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

It Is What It Is !!

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 09:32 - May 29 with 1059 viewsfakekerby

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 09:30 - May 29 by JonDoeman

Sparky set for Stoke: Mark Hughes set to be unveiled as new Stoke City boss today

Former QPR, Blackburn and Wales boss set to return to top-flight management with the Potters, who are expected to announce Hughes' appointment today
Back in the game: Mark Hughes is set to be unveiled as Stoke City's new manager Back in the game: Mark Hughes is set to be unveiled as Stoke City's new manager
PA

Hughes has agreed a contract at the Britannia after lengthy discussions with chairman Peter Coates, chief executive Tony Scholes and technical director Mark Cartwright.

Stoke targeted Hughes after being impressed with the jobs he did at Blackburn and Fulham where he worked within a budget and kept the club well placed in the Premier League.

Mirror Sport revealed on Monday how Hughes was edging closer to a return to management after his nightmare at QPR. It is believed Hughes has agreed a rolling one year contract.

And now Hughes is back in the management game but will be expected to cut the club's budget, reduce the number of high earners and reshape the squad in a "different direction."

Stoke want to focus on the academy, developing younger players and also playing more expansive football after fans got fed-up of the direct style under Tony Pulis.

Hughes, set to bring in his trusted backroom team of Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki, will also be expected to work alongside technical director Mark Cartwright.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mark-hughes-set-stoke-city-1918760#i

Mark Bowen, absolutely useless from the podcast, quotes like "we've never had to do defensive set piece training before" astounded me. I still struggle to figure out exactly what this merry band of idiots did with their time.
Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 09:32 - May 29 with 1058 viewstoboboly

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 09:30 - May 29 by JonDoeman

PA

Stoke are my new second favourite team.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 09:53 - May 29 with 1005 viewshoopsa07

Confirmed - feel sorry for the stoke fans they have to endure a lot and I was impressed when they came down to LR
Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 10:07 - May 29 with 972 viewsdaveB

seems pointless to replace Pullis with Hughes, a sideways step but he'll probably do ok with them which will be annoying
Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 10:28 - May 29 with 939 viewsadhoc_qpr

Amazed anyone has given him a decent Prem job so quickly!

Still perhaps the fact that Harry has been unable to improve our performance at all has mitigated the damage to Hughes reputation and our mercenary players are getting all the blame (ignoring the fact of who signed them...)
Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 10:39 - May 29 with 921 viewsQPR_Jim

Realistically how much are we going to benefit from this financially? I imagine his wages are lower, so are we still going to have to pay him top-up to match our old contract or does our old contract go out the window.
Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 11:11 - May 29 with 891 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Well this is a good start to the summer, hopefully it continues

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 11:32 - May 29 with 861 viewsdaveB

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 10:39 - May 29 by QPR_Jim

Realistically how much are we going to benefit from this financially? I imagine his wages are lower, so are we still going to have to pay him top-up to match our old contract or does our old contract go out the window.

i imagine we'll still end up having to pay him as the man has no shame and will take us for every penny he can, if he had anything about him he'd have resigned after the Southampton game and took no money
Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 11:33 - May 29 with 857 viewstoboboly

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 10:39 - May 29 by QPR_Jim

As far as I was aware as soon as a new contract was signed any old contracts were null and void.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 12:01 - May 29 with 823 viewsTW_R

Stoke waiting on Hughes decision . on 11:33 - May 29 by toboboly

As far as I was aware as soon as a new contract was signed any old contracts were null and void.

Exactly. It's not a loan deal. The bloke has a new job, with new employers. Surely not even we're stupid enough to have written a contract that says "look, if you're crap and we fire you, we'll still pay you when you get another job"!!?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024