Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread 02:41 - Aug 7 with 13343 viewsKeithHaynes

An opportunity for head coach Michael Duff share the love around, but hopefully not too much as we’ve slipped up before in this competition. And of course have won it as well.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 09:52 - Aug 9 with 1136 viewsBoundy

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 09:42 - Aug 9 by Badlands

Given the opposition and our overall play he was OK a few decent passes and runs made up for some unforced errors but it looks like he will be a solid first choice player.
But, unlike some claiming it was a good game, I (and many in the ground by the sound of it) thought it was largely error strewn and lack lustre. A lot of hit and hope balls.
Accepting Northampton offered little threat, which made busting a gut unnecessary, we were sloppy. Play like that in the Championship and this season could be a hard watch for anyone hoping to see quality football. (Anyone suggesting Cabango is slow would have considered Darling and Wood's speed of play to be on a geological timescale. That said, Wood was my MOM.)
There were a few flashes of quality most notably from Key, Grimes, Mikola and Ginnelly.
We are desperate for a left back / wing back. Abdulai is very willing but also very right footed, though not on the Routledge level of one footedness, and it is unfair to play this right sided midfielder in that position. Played in position he strikes me as being quite a talent.
Rushworth surprised me. So good at the weekend but his distribution last night was way short of the mark and once again way short of his CB. Fulton, too, was off the pace.
Summery … 5/10 when 4/10 would have won the game.
Ginnelly's goal will be hard to beat for goal of the season.
Mikola looks ready.
Left back needed.
We are lacking a Leon (& left back) but otherwise I'd say this squad is as strong as Rodgers' 2010/11 promotion winning team.

As a counter I as there and enjoyed the occasion as did many around me the atmosphere considering the numbers was good , although as you say the opposition were not up to much and at times it became a bit of a training match ,as would be expected .
It was a chance to bring in players who haven't featured so far . No one was injured no one received a red card . Joe had a good run out considering he was firstly not to play for a month that was good . Naughton run out of a steam rightly subbed but still showed he had something to offer .
Despite a full tranche of substitutions we continued to dominate . We showed we could play short and long where needed to and with the exception of one brain fart by Rushworth I thought his distribution was good either by hand or with the foot .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 09:55 - Aug 9 with 1121 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 09:50 - Aug 9 by RichardO

Every team is vulnerable if they push high up the pitch against a team which is given time on the ball to pick there passes and have pace, Duff's team has looks as if he has worked on getting the team to hunt in numbers to close players down and has add pacey players to the team to both negate the threat out wide and increase our mobility and threat up top.
A point to note is that at our attacking corners we had at all time the option of two players with pace to foil counter attacks
The inclusion of both Allen and Cooper increased the tempo of play in the middle of the park aided by Naughton's better passing options but given both Allen's injury history and
Naughton's defensive weaknesses (lack of pace and stature) will need to find out who will be able to step up an claim their position.
Hope we can match yesterday performance against better opposition.

Which makes one wonder just why he was offered another deal.
Being good in training is not enough

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 10:00 - Aug 9 with 1107 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 08:13 - Aug 9 by cadleigh

I enjoyed Duff’s post-match interview. Particularly interesting to hear that he thinks we still need another 2-3 players.

Can anyone who saw the match last night tell us how Ashby did?

With the 9 subs on the bench rule we now need 20 quality players every match to be competitive and give the manager options. I think the 2-3 players is the minimum we need when we get injuries and are into two games a week mode.
Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 10:22 - Aug 9 with 1086 viewsBadlands

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 09:52 - Aug 9 by Boundy

As a counter I as there and enjoyed the occasion as did many around me the atmosphere considering the numbers was good , although as you say the opposition were not up to much and at times it became a bit of a training match ,as would be expected .
It was a chance to bring in players who haven't featured so far . No one was injured no one received a red card . Joe had a good run out considering he was firstly not to play for a month that was good . Naughton run out of a steam rightly subbed but still showed he had something to offer .
Despite a full tranche of substitutions we continued to dominate . We showed we could play short and long where needed to and with the exception of one brain fart by Rushworth I thought his distribution was good either by hand or with the foot .

Would agree with most of that … opinions on play will always be open for discussion.
But I would take issue on Rushworth's distribution being good.
But as you say a chance for a run out, game won, no injuries.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 10:51 - Aug 9 with 1053 viewscadleigh

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 09:08 - Aug 9 by herbie

I was at the game. He doesn't look like he is yet up to speed and will take a few games to get used to the players and the Championship.
It was good to see players last night starting to look to play the ball forward quickly and into feet. Cullen had a very good game and was getting behind the defence well, and had a lovely contribution to the first goal.
I also liked Abdullai who while playing out of position and on his weaker side, did a very decent job indeed.
It was worth travelling down from Cardiff last night just to see Ginelly's goal. He looks like being a fan's favourite already.

Thanks Herbie, much appreciated.

Poll: How long would you give Russell Martin to turn things around?

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 10:59 - Aug 9 with 1038 viewscadleigh

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 10:22 - Aug 9 by Badlands

Would agree with most of that … opinions on play will always be open for discussion.
But I would take issue on Rushworth's distribution being good.
But as you say a chance for a run out, game won, no injuries.

Thanks for both of those responses. Sounds familiar from the pre-season matches I attended - lots of errors, some players being played out of position and some gaps that we need to fill. But it's a work in progress, we are heading in the right direction, and there's every indication that the manager understands what's wrong and has plans to put it right. And increasingly, the players to do it. I haven't felt this positive since Laudrup left. (Not that I am comparing Duff to Laudrup - it's just that Laudrup's last season was the last time I felt we genuinely had momentum in the right direction, rather than treading water.)

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 11:57 - Aug 9 with 956 viewsBadlands

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 10:59 - Aug 9 by cadleigh

Thanks for both of those responses. Sounds familiar from the pre-season matches I attended - lots of errors, some players being played out of position and some gaps that we need to fill. But it's a work in progress, we are heading in the right direction, and there's every indication that the manager understands what's wrong and has plans to put it right. And increasingly, the players to do it. I haven't felt this positive since Laudrup left. (Not that I am comparing Duff to Laudrup - it's just that Laudrup's last season was the last time I felt we genuinely had momentum in the right direction, rather than treading water.)

One thing Duff did at the weekend, after Andulai came on, and last night was place the 47 on the half way line for our attacking free kicks and corners. He has more defensive qualities, is bigger and as fast as Cooper who seemed to get that job more often than not. I still think we should keep two back as the high press and attack leaves us exposed in defence.
I'm not keen on the style of play he appears to favour but still far more optimism than in recent years (although I thought Guidolin would have done us proud.)

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 12:16 - Aug 9 with 934 viewscadleigh

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 11:57 - Aug 9 by Badlands

One thing Duff did at the weekend, after Andulai came on, and last night was place the 47 on the half way line for our attacking free kicks and corners. He has more defensive qualities, is bigger and as fast as Cooper who seemed to get that job more often than not. I still think we should keep two back as the high press and attack leaves us exposed in defence.
I'm not keen on the style of play he appears to favour but still far more optimism than in recent years (although I thought Guidolin would have done us proud.)

Good point. I felt positive when Guidolin was appointed too. And my son has just reminded me that during Monk's first season, all the sports tech, power naps on the training field, micro-attention to players, had me feeling like we were kicking on to another level, even while the play wasn't enthralling. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 13:35 - Aug 9 with 843 viewsunion_jack

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 09:52 - Aug 9 by Boundy

That brain fart was Fisher-esque but I expect him to get that out of his system totally very quickly.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 15:08 - Aug 9 with 778 viewsFlashberryjack

Great team performance, thought Joe and Cooper were outstanding.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 16:19 - Aug 9 with 718 viewsRichardO

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 09:55 - Aug 9 by onehunglow

Which makes one wonder just why he was offered another deal.
Being good in training is not enough

Because he thinks Naughton can with his experience can help the young trio of Central defenders
Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 16:47 - Aug 9 with 693 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 16:19 - Aug 9 by RichardO

Because he thinks Naughton can with his experience can help the young trio of Central defenders

Yeah,of course .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 18:51 - Aug 9 with 624 viewsGVJack

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 08:57 - Aug 9 by felixstowe_jack

I see the Southampton fans were not happy with 72% possession last night as they managed to conceed 3 goals.

I hope they'll get used to it
Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 19:28 - Aug 9 with 606 viewsRichardO

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 16:47 - Aug 9 by onehunglow

Yeah,of course .

Should have put a question mark at the end of my response. The three centre backs against Birmingham and the two Wing backs were rarely troubled in open play and dealt with most attacks, the goal was another school boy mistake. Given the size of the Birmingham team at corner we did relatively well against that threat.
Could we say we are looking like we are going to make as many mistakes as last year, I don't think so Duff ensured we don't get caught during counter attack by leaving two pacey players back. That didn't change against Northampton.
Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 23:57 - Aug 10 with 491 viewsBadlands

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 16:19 - Aug 9 by RichardO

Leader needed when Cabango isn’t available.

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 08:53 - Aug 11 with 451 viewsRichardO

Swansea City v Northampton Town : Match day Thread on 23:57 - Aug 10 by Badlands

Leader needed when Cabango isn’t available.

If Cabango is carrying a bit of a niggling injury which he cannot shake off would think going to a back four would be possible with Darling and Wood in the middle.
Some question Darling's abilities but Martin played him on the left of the back three similar to Cabango and both struggled in that position while Wood managed a bit better,.
Darling looks better on the right side of a three but did make a number of mistakes initially being out muscled off the ball, he has rectified that somewhat but still needs a bit of work experience wise in a settled team, he is also a threat in the opposition's box.

You must remember with Manning as the left wingback or LCB Manning in his urge to get successful get forward would leave the defence a bit bare at times when he played as a fullback he paid more attention to the defensive role.

Ashby on the right and hopefully and incoming left back.
That would also allow Key to play on the right in front of Ashby. For me Key is a must start given his performances seen so far. Would Ashby be a suitable third CB seems to have lots to have pace and strength.

When we played 4 at the back last year we while using below par out of position full backs we went on a good winning run. We have a bit more strength in depth for the right side as we all know need more on the left hopefully resolved with incoming loans.

Against Northampton for the final 10 mins+6 mins injury time when Naughton was forced off we went to a back four of Key, Darling , Wood and Abdulai, 3 in the middle a energetic but tiring Cooper, an ineffective Paterson and Fulton being overly cautious having to be the mainstay in the middle meant things slowed down but with the 3 upfront Cullen, Ginnelly and the seemingly imposing Kuharevich, the middle could be bypassed to some positive effect.

Looks as if Duff is getting to know his players, sure he will make mistakes in his selection but he seems to know how to be adaptable to players and situations as they develop.
Going to need it more so while the transfer window is open.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024