Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? 23:08 - Feb 19 with 43042 viewsGloryHunter

I was 22 in 1975, and I voted "No". This was based on my political heroes Michael Foot and Tony Benn warning against the dangers of entering the EU. After that, I softened my opposition somewhat. I like the fact that I can now cross most European borders without being searched and showing my passport, and I have since acquired a German wife, who is free to live and work in the UK (although she is not allowed to vote here, despite having paid UK taxes for 25 years). But, to be honest, I am thinking of voting "Out". What do other posters on here think?
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 14:15 - Feb 22 with 2250 viewsElHoop

To be honest Disco, I couldn't really give a fook whether they get child benefit or not, or how much they get. I feel as if I'm being forced to care about stuff like this because it's something that Cameron could negotiate over, as against immigration itself which was non-negotiable. I don't think that many people were that bothered by the amount of benefit being paid before this renegotiation bollocks started. Hopefully everybody will forget about this stuff and discuss the more serious issues which are the level of immigration and the effect of leaving the EU on the economy.
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 14:33 - Feb 22 with 2219 viewsDiscodroids

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 14:15 - Feb 22 by ElHoop

To be honest Disco, I couldn't really give a fook whether they get child benefit or not, or how much they get. I feel as if I'm being forced to care about stuff like this because it's something that Cameron could negotiate over, as against immigration itself which was non-negotiable. I don't think that many people were that bothered by the amount of benefit being paid before this renegotiation bollocks started. Hopefully everybody will forget about this stuff and discuss the more serious issues which are the level of immigration and the effect of leaving the EU on the economy.

100% agree.

".... You are the... Duke of New York... You're A-Number One!".

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 14:54 - Feb 22 with 2200 viewsElHoop

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 14:33 - Feb 22 by Discodroids

100% agree.

Glad top hear it Disco. They got away with smoke and mirrors in the election campaign but this time there's nowhere at all to hide. They can rubbish Farage and Galloway if they want, but there's some big guns out there with plenty of ammo and they'll be loading and firing and hitting.
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 15:24 - Feb 22 with 2158 viewsHollowayRanger

can and will never understand how/why children born in foreign countrys to foreign nationals should be paid british child support/welfare payments to me they have no right to such payments

but if it really must happen they should get no more then they do in their own country

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 15:56 - Feb 22 with 2135 viewsessextaxiboy

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 12:49 - Feb 22 by hoof_hearted

Trump or Hitler? LOL. Great to se them linked together like that. The answer is yes, under certain circumstances which would hopefully never arise. Hungary?

Trump and Hitler Gentlemens Outfitters
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:48 - Feb 22 with 2049 viewsJuzzie

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 15:24 - Feb 22 by HollowayRanger

can and will never understand how/why children born in foreign countrys to foreign nationals should be paid british child support/welfare payments to me they have no right to such payments

but if it really must happen they should get no more then they do in their own country

Brits too working in other EU countries can and do claim from their host country on children they have living back home.

It does work both ways but not sure if we gain or lose from it, probably lose as I'd imagine there are more in the UK from across the EU than we have in the EU.

work for a huge global company (some 7,000 people worldwide) and say I get the chance to work in Germany for a couple of years because my skills would be a benefit but couldn't afford to move my family there, the EU state would help by contributing for my son's upkeep at home.

Like most things, it was probably meant in good faith i.e. giving people the chance to work abroad, but how much of it is people exploiting the situation?
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 18:13 - Feb 22 with 2034 viewsNW5Hoop

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 07:51 - Feb 20 by Watford_Ranger

The arguments for staying in are all based on theory IMO. I don't buy for a minute that trade will be hit. As said above, we'll get a similar deal to the Swiss. French and German consumers and importers/exporters aren't just going to allow tariffs to be lobbed onto UK goods. A sixth form economics student could tell you trade barriers aren't worth putting in place. Out for me.

Why on earth would they do that? Why would the EU say: Yes, we are happy to give you all the free trade benefits of EU membership, but without any of the responsibilities that come with membership? If they do that they'll have nationalist movements across Europe demanding the same. The case that they'll never take away the free trade provisions — that we'll get a better deal than Norway and Switzerland, who pay a stiff financial and political price for access to the European market from outside the EU — is based on a piece of logical insanity:
1. We cannot trust the EU to protect our interests if we are in!
2. We must trust the EU to protect our interests if we leave!
Does no one else see how bonkers that is?
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 18:21 - Feb 22 with 2019 viewsessextaxiboy

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 18:13 - Feb 22 by NW5Hoop

Why on earth would they do that? Why would the EU say: Yes, we are happy to give you all the free trade benefits of EU membership, but without any of the responsibilities that come with membership? If they do that they'll have nationalist movements across Europe demanding the same. The case that they'll never take away the free trade provisions — that we'll get a better deal than Norway and Switzerland, who pay a stiff financial and political price for access to the European market from outside the EU — is based on a piece of logical insanity:
1. We cannot trust the EU to protect our interests if we are in!
2. We must trust the EU to protect our interests if we leave!
Does no one else see how bonkers that is?

We are the 5th largest economy in the world and use that to be massive importers of EU goods . We are a massive market for them and money talks .
Login to get fewer ads

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 18:47 - Feb 22 with 1991 viewsR_from_afar

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 14:07 - Feb 22 by jonno

According to Radio 4 this morning that CBI "research" has since been discredited. And they would say that, anyway. By the way, the EU bill is actually £55 million per day, not 24.

Interesting, how and by whom?

I see that a Financial Times/ICSA survey in December found that
70% of FTSE 350 firms expect "some" or "significant" damage if we leave the EU.

What is the source for the £55m figure?

Also, bear this in mind: If we leave, we of course will still be able to buy and sell goods and services with the rest of the EU, but it would not be on as good terms as we currently enjoy because tariffs and other barriers to trade would return

The exact terms will be down to the deal we negotiate with the European Union, of course. However, the EU would be in the driving seat when negotiating, given that 11% of their trade is with the UK, whereas we rely on the EU for 50% of our trade.

Another thing is we will slowly revert to being the dirty man of Europe again. If we are governed by the Tories or UKIP and leave the EU, emissions regulations, regulations on pesticides and on beach / water cleanliness will all be relaxed.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 19:05 - Feb 22 with 1961 viewsessextaxiboy

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 18:47 - Feb 22 by R_from_afar

Interesting, how and by whom?

I see that a Financial Times/ICSA survey in December found that
70% of FTSE 350 firms expect "some" or "significant" damage if we leave the EU.

What is the source for the £55m figure?

Also, bear this in mind: If we leave, we of course will still be able to buy and sell goods and services with the rest of the EU, but it would not be on as good terms as we currently enjoy because tariffs and other barriers to trade would return

The exact terms will be down to the deal we negotiate with the European Union, of course. However, the EU would be in the driving seat when negotiating, given that 11% of their trade is with the UK, whereas we rely on the EU for 50% of our trade.

Another thing is we will slowly revert to being the dirty man of Europe again. If we are governed by the Tories or UKIP and leave the EU, emissions regulations, regulations on pesticides and on beach / water cleanliness will all be relaxed.

RFA

In Dec 2015 our imports from theEU exceeded our exports to the EU by 6.6 billion .
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 19:52 - Feb 22 with 1925 viewsHollowayRanger

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 17:48 - Feb 22 by Juzzie

Brits too working in other EU countries can and do claim from their host country on children they have living back home.

It does work both ways but not sure if we gain or lose from it, probably lose as I'd imagine there are more in the UK from across the EU than we have in the EU.

work for a huge global company (some 7,000 people worldwide) and say I get the chance to work in Germany for a couple of years because my skills would be a benefit but couldn't afford to move my family there, the EU state would help by contributing for my son's upkeep at home.

Like most things, it was probably meant in good faith i.e. giving people the chance to work abroad, but how much of it is people exploiting the situation?

very true I am im sure 99.9% of people have no problem what so ever with people coming here to work

and vast majority do

but there is a small growing number of people coming here to commit crime/fraud and take advantage of our good will, that number will continue to grow and grow while we have no control of our borders

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 20:59 - Feb 22 with 1882 viewsderbyhoop

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 19:52 - Feb 22 by HollowayRanger

very true I am im sure 99.9% of people have no problem what so ever with people coming here to work

and vast majority do

but there is a small growing number of people coming here to commit crime/fraud and take advantage of our good will, that number will continue to grow and grow while we have no control of our borders

Because of the uncertainty over UK's membership of the EU, the £ v $ rate fell to its lowest rate for 7 years.
The exchange rate also fell against every major currency, including the Euro.

You might think that won't affect you. However
1) Oil is traded in $. A falling exchange rate means that, to UK business, oil will be more expensive, reversing the recent falls that were due to overproduction. How would you feel if you had to pay an extra 10p on every litre of fuel?
2) Last year I got 1.42 euros to the £. It's now 1.27. That represents an 11% fall in value. Next time you buy Italian tomatoes, Spanish oranges, French wine or a German car, its going to be more expensive.

Get ready for a rocky ride up to and, maybe, beyond the referendum.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 21:18 - Feb 22 with 1866 viewsessextaxiboy

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 20:59 - Feb 22 by derbyhoop

Because of the uncertainty over UK's membership of the EU, the £ v $ rate fell to its lowest rate for 7 years.

1) Oil is traded in $. A falling exchange rate means that, to UK business, oil will be more expensive, reversing the recent falls that were due to overproduction. How would you feel if you had to pay an extra 10p on every litre of fuel?
2) Last year I got 1.42 euros to the £. It's now 1.27. That represents an 11% fall in value. Next time you buy Italian tomatoes, Spanish oranges, French wine or a German car, its going to be more expensive.

Its only temporary. In the mean time it makes our goods cheaper and more competitive abroad .
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 21:23 - Feb 22 with 1856 viewsKerryE

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 20:59 - Feb 22 by derbyhoop

But what a boost for our exports!
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 21:28 - Feb 22 with 1848 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 21:33 - Feb 22 with 1836 viewsKerryE

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 12:30 - Feb 22 by essextaxiboy

Can you honestly see anyone like Trump or Hitler getting past first base in any European country again ?

Yes, look what happened in the old Yugoslavia for example.

Lack of wars is the singularly most compelling reason for the EU. Pity career politicians have to run it though.
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 21:47 - Feb 22 with 1823 viewsessextaxiboy

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 21:33 - Feb 22 by KerryE

Yes, look what happened in the old Yugoslavia for example.

Lack of wars is the singularly most compelling reason for the EU. Pity career politicians have to run it though.

Yugoslavia was a communist state . We are a member of Nato .
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 22:20 - Feb 22 with 1782 viewsBrightonhoop

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 07:54 - Feb 22 by essextaxiboy

He has obviously never bought a used car .

One of the many problems of electing thick as shit Etonians.
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 22:27 - Feb 22 with 1775 viewsjohncharles

The idea that Boris will become Prime Minister off the back of this just scares the shit out of me.

Strong and stable my arse.

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 22:38 - Feb 22 with 1760 viewsBrightonhoop

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 22:27 - Feb 22 by johncharles

The idea that Boris will become Prime Minister off the back of this just scares the shit out of me.

I think it's going to be an exit, the opening salvos today were just the start, but the Tories are tearing themselves apart on this, open civil war in the Tory Party. I cant see Cameron reaching the end of March before a Boris takeover.
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 22:51 - Feb 22 with 1752 viewsjohncharles

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 22:38 - Feb 22 by Brightonhoop

I think it's going to be an exit, the opening salvos today were just the start, but the Tories are tearing themselves apart on this, open civil war in the Tory Party. I cant see Cameron reaching the end of March before a Boris takeover.

Boris as PM and Donald Rump president of the US of A. Now that's what I call a nightmare scenario.
Bear in mind that we will be out of Europe and will be more than ever up the Yankee bum.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2016 22:53]

Strong and stable my arse.

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 23:11 - Feb 22 with 1733 viewsBrightonhoop

Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 22:51 - Feb 22 by johncharles

Boris as PM and Donald Rump president of the US of A. Now that's what I call a nightmare scenario.
Bear in mind that we will be out of Europe and will be more than ever up the Yankee bum.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2016 22:53]

Seems the Republicans are waking up to the nightmare of Trump being unelectable, so we'll see on that one, the idea of Boris as PM of a UK out of the EU is worryingly far more likely. I suspect a General Election will occur soon after June 23rd just to get him out again.
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 23:13 - Feb 22 with 1731 viewsQPRDave

Could be quite interesting

Trump;" Hi Boris It's the commander in chief. Nothing doing this weekend so I've decided I'm bombing Mexico and eyerak ..you in?"

Boris ;"Well yes,no well no, erm haha yes, yes I er (ruffles hair) well anyway I digress , Haha
erm well I suppose, Oh to hell with it whatever you thinks best Don. Could be a laugh eh?"
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 23:54 - Feb 22 with 2516 viewsFDC

This makes it sound like leaving the EU would mean no TTIP for Britain. If that's the case it's a very good reason to leave

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11962277/Major-blow-for-Brex
[Post edited 23 Feb 2016 3:07]
Euro Referendum - What do Loft for Words posters think? on 12:50 - Feb 23 with 2402 viewsR_from_afar

And: "Exit would be negative for trade and investment in the UK, given the close links with the EU as the UK's single most important trading partner and largest source of foreign-direct investment," Kathrin Muehlbronner, a senior vice president at Moody's, said.

Standard & Poor's, which still rates Britain as AAA, said in October that Britain's credit rating could be cut by as much as two notches if it left the EU.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024