Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Halifax Building Society 18:19 - Jul 1 with 7571 viewsbritferry

Shot themselves in the foot over the pronouns politically correct nonsense

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Halifax Building Society on 21:47 - Jul 3 with 1325 viewsFlashberryjack

Halifax Building Society on 21:00 - Jul 3 by Sirjohnalot

I’ve asked a number of people to explain what they mean by ‘woke’. What do you think it means ?

A wok is a deep round-bottomed cooking pot that originated in China. It is common in China and similar pans are found in parts of East, South and Southeast Asia, as well as being popular in other parts of the world.

What is a Gammon?

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Halifax Building Society on 22:10 - Jul 3 with 1271 viewsSirjohnalot

Halifax Building Society on 21:47 - Jul 3 by Flashberryjack

A wok is a deep round-bottomed cooking pot that originated in China. It is common in China and similar pans are found in parts of East, South and Southeast Asia, as well as being popular in other parts of the world.

What is a Gammon?

Normally an insulting term that’s used for stereotypically older white men who go red in the face when very angry about something but sometimes find it difficult to explain why.

What does woke mean ?
Halifax Building Society on 22:53 - Jul 3 with 1233 viewsLuther27

Halifax Building Society on 21:43 - Jul 3 by Gwyn737

It’s a term some people use to describe things they don’t like.

It means according to Wikipedia… "alert to racial prejudice and discrimination" that originated in African-American Vernacular English

Blog: Grenfell Tower

Halifax Building Society on 23:05 - Jul 3 with 1223 viewsBryanSwan

Halifax Building Society on 19:43 - Jul 2 by Luther27

I’ve had enough of shte like this. Perhaps Halifax should concentrate on the customer experience at their branches as it’s awful….and don’t get me started about telephone and online services with them.
I left them pre Covid and bloody glad I did.

This is genuinely hilarious.
I cannot believe a small name badge can get anyone so angry.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Halifax Building Society on 23:32 - Jul 3 with 1209 viewsWingstandwood

Halifax Building Society on 22:10 - Jul 3 by Sirjohnalot

Normally an insulting term that’s used for stereotypically older white men who go red in the face when very angry about something but sometimes find it difficult to explain why.

What does woke mean ?

The word WOKE is what many people NOW perceive it to be in its current state and what it has become, evolved, morphed into and what it is since it's been hijacked.

When people (black commentators/academics/authors included) think of WOKE they think of cancel culture, manufactured offence to gratuitously smear someone, irrational theories and beliefs, false claims of victimhood and common sense gone AWOL etc, etc, etc.

It's not thought of an insult by many but more of a descriptive (of all leanings hey?) e.g. gay left wing comedian Andrew Doyle/Titania McGrath views it exactly in the same way as many also!

You know going exactly the same way political correctness went?

Individuals once perceived political correctness as an empathetic ideal that brought good manners, decency, compassion and morals e.g. helped to change attitudes for the better. A perfect example is TV comedy series ‘Love Thy Neighbour’ that became cringingly embarrassing and outdated to watch.

But TODAY most people see political correctness as something completely different that has been abused to create manufactured offence or wrongfully exploited to cater for other peoples irrationality or warped agenda's.

Great example e.g. Jack Straw being demeaned by an audience member on TV for using the word 'Afro' when black communities have been themselves more than happy to put it above their buildings for decades i.e. “Afro Caribbean Centre”.

Political correctness then and political correctness now!

Argus!

Halifax Building Society on 07:10 - Jul 4 with 1136 viewsSirjohnalot

Halifax Building Society on 23:32 - Jul 3 by Wingstandwood

The word WOKE is what many people NOW perceive it to be in its current state and what it has become, evolved, morphed into and what it is since it's been hijacked.

When people (black commentators/academics/authors included) think of WOKE they think of cancel culture, manufactured offence to gratuitously smear someone, irrational theories and beliefs, false claims of victimhood and common sense gone AWOL etc, etc, etc.

It's not thought of an insult by many but more of a descriptive (of all leanings hey?) e.g. gay left wing comedian Andrew Doyle/Titania McGrath views it exactly in the same way as many also!

You know going exactly the same way political correctness went?

Individuals once perceived political correctness as an empathetic ideal that brought good manners, decency, compassion and morals e.g. helped to change attitudes for the better. A perfect example is TV comedy series ‘Love Thy Neighbour’ that became cringingly embarrassing and outdated to watch.

But TODAY most people see political correctness as something completely different that has been abused to create manufactured offence or wrongfully exploited to cater for other peoples irrationality or warped agenda's.

Great example e.g. Jack Straw being demeaned by an audience member on TV for using the word 'Afro' when black communities have been themselves more than happy to put it above their buildings for decades i.e. “Afro Caribbean Centre”.

Political correctness then and political correctness now!

I’m, I suppose, an example of ‘woke’ but I don’t get offended by much. I think it’s wrong to say, ‘that’s offensive’ better to say ‘I find that offensive’ as it’s a personal thing.

When you say manufactured offence, Ironically this thread is a perfect example of that and ‘woke’. People apparently cancelling their bank accounts for a name badge. What’s that if not manufactured ?

All I want is a society where people are kind to each other, people accepted for what they are and treated fairly.
Halifax Building Society on 10:57 - Jul 4 with 1095 viewsCatullus

What does woke mean ?

Woke in itself isn't the problem, it's when it gets taken to extremes and it becomes nonsense. Like when some people insisted only a homosexual actor could play a homosexual role yet were fine with a black actor playing a famous white person.

Otherwise, I guess, in many respects I am personally woke. Thing is, it's easy to react to a story in the news media and then find out the story isn't quite what you were told. I have fallen for it and still fall for it, every day is a learning day though.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Halifax Building Society on 11:20 - Jul 4 with 1087 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

What does woke mean ?

A woke person may point out that using the insulting term Gammon to describe exclusively an older white make is ageist, racist and sexist. And that anyone using it should be publicly shamed, fired from their job and throw themselves off the nearest cliff.
Login to get fewer ads

Halifax Building Society on 12:17 - Jul 4 with 1051 viewsSirjohnalot

Halifax Building Society on 11:20 - Jul 4 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

A woke person may point out that using the insulting term Gammon to describe exclusively an older white make is ageist, racist and sexist. And that anyone using it should be publicly shamed, fired from their job and throw themselves off the nearest cliff.

There is no difference between the two insults I agree
Halifax Building Society on 12:24 - Jul 4 with 1046 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Halifax Building Society on 12:17 - Jul 4 by Sirjohnalot

There is no difference between the two insults I agree

Wokes and gammons could have an in depth discussion and learned debate about their own points of view, how they’ve reached that opinion and attempt to perhaps connect with each other and achieve some sort of compromise or understanding of the others viewpoint.

But it’s far easier just to fling shit at one another.
Halifax Building Society on 13:24 - Jul 4 with 1010 viewsSirjohnalot

Halifax Building Society on 12:24 - Jul 4 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

Wokes and gammons could have an in depth discussion and learned debate about their own points of view, how they’ve reached that opinion and attempt to perhaps connect with each other and achieve some sort of compromise or understanding of the others viewpoint.

But it’s far easier just to fling shit at one another.

Again. Completely agree
Halifax Building Society on 18:44 - Jul 4 with 906 viewsLuther27

Halifax Building Society on 23:05 - Jul 3 by BryanSwan

This is genuinely hilarious.
I cannot believe a small name badge can get anyone so angry.

If you read the my post again you’ll discover that I left the Halifax before this small name badge was ever thought of.
My point is if they applied more energy into customer service I probably wouldn’t have left.

Blog: Grenfell Tower

Halifax Building Society on 19:34 - Jul 4 with 865 viewsonehunglow

Now Gammon has been overtaken and given a new meaning.

Gammon,chips ,peas lovely with nice Rose .

Hand cut Gammon naturally

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Halifax Building Society on 23:01 - Jul 4 with 819 viewsKilkennyjack

What does woke mean ?

Regards the term gammon, wiki says ….

So: 180 years ago, the 26 year old Charles Dickens was already using the word “gammon” to describe a large, self-satisfied, middle aged man who professes an extreme patriotism in large part to disguise his essential selfishness and corruption.

If the cap fits innit …..

Stay woke people …. 🇺🇸✊🏾

Beware of the Risen People

Halifax Building Society on 00:19 - Jul 5 with 803 viewsLohengrin

Halifax Building Society on 21:43 - Jul 3 by Gwyn737

It’s a term some people use to describe things they don’t like.

It depends how educated you are, Gwyn? If you asked my expensively educated daughter that would be her answer, but I went through that same system in a previous generation, when we were actually encouraged to think broadly with a spirit of enquiry.

It’s a well-worn cliche to say that everything done, everything said or thought has been done before. It’s become that way because, in essence, it’s basically true.

‘Woke.’ Anybody trumpeted that as short-hand for an entire world view before? Well, what do you think? ‘Erwache’ ring any bells? The ends may be dissimilar but the means don’t differ overly much. The Brown-shirted Zealots of the SA suffered no dissent in pursuit of their social revolution either.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Halifax Building Society on 08:11 - Jul 5 with 738 viewsonehunglow

Halifax Building Society on 00:19 - Jul 5 by Lohengrin

It depends how educated you are, Gwyn? If you asked my expensively educated daughter that would be her answer, but I went through that same system in a previous generation, when we were actually encouraged to think broadly with a spirit of enquiry.

It’s a well-worn cliche to say that everything done, everything said or thought has been done before. It’s become that way because, in essence, it’s basically true.

‘Woke.’ Anybody trumpeted that as short-hand for an entire world view before? Well, what do you think? ‘Erwache’ ring any bells? The ends may be dissimilar but the means don’t differ overly much. The Brown-shirted Zealots of the SA suffered no dissent in pursuit of their social revolution either.

Thanks Lowengrin.
That was an early day refresher from my old school days.

Tsuss

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Halifax Building Society on 09:36 - Jul 5 with 708 viewsBoundy

Halifax Building Society on 23:01 - Jul 4 by Kilkennyjack

Regards the term gammon, wiki says ….

So: 180 years ago, the 26 year old Charles Dickens was already using the word “gammon” to describe a large, self-satisfied, middle aged man who professes an extreme patriotism in large part to disguise his essential selfishness and corruption.

If the cap fits innit …..

Stay woke people …. 🇺🇸✊🏾

Wiki says .anything you want it to say

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024