Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! 22:27 - Oct 13 with 5079 viewsRangersDave

Funnily enough 2 things from me......

Football on 2 consecutive days at L.R. at Christmas.

That Leeds Home match, when i went, like half the ground, onto the pitch to cheer 'that' team!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 22:32 - Oct 13 with 3665 viewsqpr_1968

getting rid of the plastic.....and watching the players run out onto good old soil again....

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 22:35 - Oct 13 with 3652 viewsbosh67

Nice thread...

Going with my dad.
Turning into a stand manager when I went with my dad.
My dad getting quite angry when substitutions I made from the stand actually came on and didn't do well and me having to say, I'm not actually the manager, it's not my fault.
Walking back down South Africa Road after a good win with my dad.
All those things, over those years, make me smile.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 23:16 - Oct 13 with 3556 viewsMyke

Mentioned this before on a different thread, but it would have to be sitting in a pub in Galway in 1986, watching the second leg of the League Cup semi-final surrounded by Liverpool fans and them initially being amused and ultimately won over by my joy and jubilation. A feeling not shared by the bar manager, who chucked me out for 'over exuberant celebrations'
It was a pity the final never got played as I feel we definitely could have won it.
Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 00:08 - Oct 14 with 3499 viewsnumptydumpty

Nah Impossible

Have never smiled at QPR.

What a ridiculous idea

We all go to LR to get peed off surely !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 03:14 - Oct 14 with 3401 viewsPlanetHonneywood

How excellent QPR were towards a much loved and missed friend of ours, who died of cancer in 2005. Visited him in hospital; sent a video message from IH and the players to his wedding; and conducted a beautiful service when his ashes were taken to be buried under the goal at the Loft end.

The period between Clive Allen's winner against Palace to when we walked out at Wembley in 1982.

AKUTRs Dave Thomas.

When Ant Hobbs and myself formed the Manc Rs in 1995. Six blinding funny years later, and on my last night before leaving Manchester, we had 25 gathered to watch us on a Monday against Fulham. Totally ruined the pub's quiz night.

Being the only Rfosi in a pub in Manila wedged between United and City fans giving it fookin large the night of the Aguero game!

The instantaneous brother or sisterhood whenever you meet an Rfosi anywhere in the world (as in, bumping into Morrissey's QPR supporting bodyguard in Manila the night of Aguero game!).

Being a self-diagnosed insomniac, logging on to here to read and write on a thread like this on LFW.

In fact, if it wasn't for the effing bloody football, supporting QPR would be the best thing ever!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 07:32 - Oct 14 with 3260 viewsSydneyRs

The magical times of the mid 70s and more so for me because I don't remember much of that, the early 80s when we had a brilliant manager, took a very good Spurs team all the way in the FA cup and romped to promotion the following season (my first going regularly).

Then more than holding our own in the first division, finishing top London team and many great victories over so called bigger teams. Winning at Old Trafford and Anfield which never seemed like it would ever happen, scum 6-0, Newcastle 5-5, that sublime second half v Spurs in 92 with Wilkins running the show. Arsenal in the cup during a monsoon.

I think above all though we're just different. We have a different ground, wear a different kit (ignoring imposters Reading), aren't trendy or followed by African twitter bots like Chelsea etc. Shit but local.

I despise these pathetic glory hunter so called fans of the big clubs. Don't go to games, have no real connection, just latching onto another "fashionable" thing hoping it gives them some sort of cred (it doesn't).
Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 07:36 - Oct 14 with 3259 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 07:32 - Oct 14 by SydneyRs

The magical times of the mid 70s and more so for me because I don't remember much of that, the early 80s when we had a brilliant manager, took a very good Spurs team all the way in the FA cup and romped to promotion the following season (my first going regularly).

Then more than holding our own in the first division, finishing top London team and many great victories over so called bigger teams. Winning at Old Trafford and Anfield which never seemed like it would ever happen, scum 6-0, Newcastle 5-5, that sublime second half v Spurs in 92 with Wilkins running the show. Arsenal in the cup during a monsoon.

I think above all though we're just different. We have a different ground, wear a different kit (ignoring imposters Reading), aren't trendy or followed by African twitter bots like Chelsea etc. Shit but local.

I despise these pathetic glory hunter so called fans of the big clubs. Don't go to games, have no real connection, just latching onto another "fashionable" thing hoping it gives them some sort of cred (it doesn't).

Actually my antipodean amigo, we can save each and every word before, now, and after, by trotting out that time honoured mantra: SHIT BUT LOCAL!

Brilliant!
[Post edited 14 Oct 7:37]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 08:01 - Oct 14 with 3205 viewsdmm

Arriving at my seat on the first home game of the season. Immaculate pitch, familiar faces and the expectation of what's to come.

The smile often disappears quite quickly though!
Login to get fewer ads

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 08:27 - Oct 14 with 3160 viewslondonscottish

The good bits are always when I make it to the Defectors before the game, having a half time chat with Loft mates at half time and meeting up in the C&S after the game.

Always gold. Unlike the football.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 08:40 - Oct 14 with 3130 viewsstevec

My 11 year old son’s reaction to the Oldham game, before during and forever after.

My dad on a Tottenham supporters coach literally rolling down the stairs and gently onto the pavement at Wembley thankfully with the cup final tickets still clutched in his hand.
Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 09:20 - Oct 14 with 3030 viewsEsox_Lucius

Walking out of Wembley in May 1967 and leaving Villa Park in May 1968. I don't think I have ever been happier from watching Rangers. The 100's of R's I have befriended, and lost RIP, since I first walked through the turnstiles in W12.

On a more incongruent note, but it still makes me smile to this day...
Stood with Dave Thomas and a few others after a game and Danny Dichio comes out of the ground in his collarless suit and looking the part. A few fans stop him and ask for autograph/ photo which he obliges.
DT "Hey, Danny, when you've got a minute"
DD waves hand to acknowledge the shout and carries on signing etc.
DT " Don't forget, when you've got a minute"
DD "Yeah, OK"
DT a minute later " You haven't forgotten have you Danny?"
A couple more rounds of DT asking him to pop over to see him and you could see DD getting a bit narked and eventually strode over and asked "What?"
DT "You couldn't get me Les Ferdinand's autograph could you?"
DD "Prick!" and walked off towards White City station.

The grass is always greener.

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 09:24 - Oct 14 with 3010 viewsTheChef

Evening games and walking up the steps to PU seeing the lights and the pitch.

Always lovely.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 09:51 - Oct 14 with 2957 viewsCateLeBonR

This video. Red cards and red shorts!

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 09:51 - Oct 14 with 2955 viewsterryb

Many of mine are from wins against Ipswich!

68/69 first win in division One
74/75 first win at home that season, bottom playing top
83/84 the first time I saw us win at Portman Road & the best I've seen us play there
04/05 winning there with the Paul Furlong goal & costing Ipswich promotion
10/11 Jamie Mackie & Kyle Walker

Other ones
67/68 Keith Bradley own goal to win promotion at Villa
69/70 winning 1-0 at Watford with our only attack of the game
69/70 FA Cup against Derby & Dave Mackay own goal
75/76 thrashing Tottenham at WHL
83/84 winning at Norwich to achieve the East Anglian double (& we were brilliant)
85/86 watching us on television at Liverpool LC SF
91/92 watching us on television at old Trafford
02/03 Oldham play off win
03/04 own goal to seal promotion at Wednesday
11/12 Watford away
11/12 NO POINTS DEDUCTION!

Every season when I meet my friends in the pub for the first time that season
[Post edited 14 Oct 9:55]
Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 10:07 - Oct 14 with 2883 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 09:51 - Oct 14 by CateLeBonR

This video. Red cards and red shorts!

I watched a big match revisited over the weekend between Man City and Ipswich from 1982. Kevin Bond scored a fabulous equaliser for Man City. Anyway I found myself counting the number of red cards that would be issued today and got to about 7. Some of them went completely unpunished, the players just got on with it and they carried on playing football. It was glorious to watch.

As it happens Trevor Francis did get sent off for head butting someone just before half time but that's what red cards used to be reserved for.

Watching footballers get tackled without writhing about in faux agony felt completely alien. It's become such a strange sport.
[Post edited 14 Oct 10:08]
Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 10:59 - Oct 14 with 2708 viewsTheChef

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 10:07 - Oct 14 by Padulas_Shampoo

I watched a big match revisited over the weekend between Man City and Ipswich from 1982. Kevin Bond scored a fabulous equaliser for Man City. Anyway I found myself counting the number of red cards that would be issued today and got to about 7. Some of them went completely unpunished, the players just got on with it and they carried on playing football. It was glorious to watch.

As it happens Trevor Francis did get sent off for head butting someone just before half time but that's what red cards used to be reserved for.

Watching footballers get tackled without writhing about in faux agony felt completely alien. It's become such a strange sport.
[Post edited 14 Oct 10:08]

Yeah I've been watching some of those lately.

Players not afraid to play long balls, wingers running down the wing and putting crosses in. Some players having the temerity to shoot from long distance. Not keeping the ball just for the sake of keeping it, but y'know, trying to get it forward and score a goal.

It was all quite exciting really.

Cheers,
Charles Hughes

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 11:16 - Oct 14 with 2664 viewsGaryBannister86

Old skool packed away ends / atmosphere

> Fulham away first time we played there in years (lost)
> Reading away on Spencer debut (lost)
> Southampton away (won 2-1 Channing scored)

in modern times, only Luton this season has matched it for me
Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 11:41 - Oct 14 with 2592 viewswelwynranger

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 03:14 - Oct 14 by PlanetHonneywood

How excellent QPR were towards a much loved and missed friend of ours, who died of cancer in 2005. Visited him in hospital; sent a video message from IH and the players to his wedding; and conducted a beautiful service when his ashes were taken to be buried under the goal at the Loft end.

The period between Clive Allen's winner against Palace to when we walked out at Wembley in 1982.

AKUTRs Dave Thomas.

When Ant Hobbs and myself formed the Manc Rs in 1995. Six blinding funny years later, and on my last night before leaving Manchester, we had 25 gathered to watch us on a Monday against Fulham. Totally ruined the pub's quiz night.

Being the only Rfosi in a pub in Manila wedged between United and City fans giving it fookin large the night of the Aguero game!

The instantaneous brother or sisterhood whenever you meet an Rfosi anywhere in the world (as in, bumping into Morrissey's QPR supporting bodyguard in Manila the night of Aguero game!).

Being a self-diagnosed insomniac, logging on to here to read and write on a thread like this on LFW.

In fact, if it wasn't for the effing bloody football, supporting QPR would be the best thing ever!!

The instantanious brotherhood or sisterhood of seeing an Rs fan anywhere.
About 5yrs ago i was in Weston Super m
Mare, walking along the prom with my wife. I had an Rs tshirt on.
A man with 2 small children saw me and shouted across the road
URRRRS done a fist pump and put his thumb up..
That made me smile.
Many times when i have been driving i have had felliwsv Rs in other cars honking or flashing or waving as they drive past.
We are like an extended family.
61 yrs a Rangers fans remember all the thins highligted on here , but havent seen ( might have missed it ) a reference to ZAMORA day.
Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 11:47 - Oct 14 with 2577 viewsdmm

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 10:59 - Oct 14 by TheChef

Yeah I've been watching some of those lately.

Players not afraid to play long balls, wingers running down the wing and putting crosses in. Some players having the temerity to shoot from long distance. Not keeping the ball just for the sake of keeping it, but y'know, trying to get it forward and score a goal.

It was all quite exciting really.

Cheers,
Charles Hughes

My father in law was a sports lecturer at Chester college and knew Charles Hughes. He hated the style of football Hughes promoted but would have loved Cifuentes style.
Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 12:57 - Oct 14 with 2409 viewsW7Ranger

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 09:51 - Oct 14 by terryb

Many of mine are from wins against Ipswich!

68/69 first win in division One
74/75 first win at home that season, bottom playing top
83/84 the first time I saw us win at Portman Road & the best I've seen us play there
04/05 winning there with the Paul Furlong goal & costing Ipswich promotion
10/11 Jamie Mackie & Kyle Walker

Other ones
67/68 Keith Bradley own goal to win promotion at Villa
69/70 winning 1-0 at Watford with our only attack of the game
69/70 FA Cup against Derby & Dave Mackay own goal
75/76 thrashing Tottenham at WHL
83/84 winning at Norwich to achieve the East Anglian double (& we were brilliant)
85/86 watching us on television at Liverpool LC SF
91/92 watching us on television at old Trafford
02/03 Oldham play off win
03/04 own goal to seal promotion at Wednesday
11/12 Watford away
11/12 NO POINTS DEDUCTION!

Every season when I meet my friends in the pub for the first time that season
[Post edited 14 Oct 9:55]

All great moments/memories Terry.

But I have to pull you up on the bottom 2 moments. You're a year out. Should be 10/11
[Post edited 14 Oct 12:57]
Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 13:13 - Oct 14 with 2360 viewsterryb

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 12:57 - Oct 14 by W7Ranger

All great moments/memories Terry.

But I have to pull you up on the bottom 2 moments. You're a year out. Should be 10/11
[Post edited 14 Oct 12:57]

OOPS!

I won't edit so that my moment of madness remains for all to see!
Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 13:18 - Oct 14 with 2347 viewshantssi

Pretty much all of the above, but people will always have a chat to you about football if you’re wearing colours as they know you’re a real fan of a real club not a plastic supporting a team at the other end of the country.
Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 13:41 - Oct 14 with 2229 viewsDavieQPR

Looking at an old replica poster I have, Barnet v QPR November Saturday 28th 1931 KO 1.30 ( no floodlights in those days) Admission 6d Adults 3d Under 16's. Spectators are respectfully requested to enter the ground by 1.15pm.
That's under 3p to get in.
Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 14:28 - Oct 14 with 2121 viewsBluce_Ree

Rob Steiner taking a ball to the nuts, dying for a few minutes, getting up and then pretending to look for his testicles on the floor.

The fans shouting 'TIMMMMYYY' in a high voice when Tim Flowers came over to the Loft at the start of the second half.

Specifically, beating Cardiff in the evening when they show up and there has to be police cars and helicopters because they're such c*nts. Beating them is always so much sweeter for it.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Things about Rangers over the ages that make you smile! on 14:44 - Oct 14 with 2061 viewsThird_Division_South

Going to a game at Cambridge with my brother and before the days of Sat Nav, seeing the team bus and saying ‘follow that coach, they’ll know where the ground is’ and getting so close behind them that we ended up going through a set of double gates and parking right behind the coach before the gates were closed again. Even better, Clive Allen gave us a couple of complimentary tickets.

On a more poignant note, going to the game against Swansea and being in the paddock behind Taarabt when he scored that goal. It was the last game my Dad ever went to after him taking to my first in the 1950s
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024