Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! 13:39 - Sep 23 with 17879 viewsModeratorC

Oh what a huge derby game for the smaller Welsh clubs.

It’s on a Sunday, 3pm KO.

And it’s LIVE on Sky as the featured game.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/63038/swans-look-to-cove

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/63043/the-big-game-build

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/63050/full-steam-ahead-f

This post has been edited by an administrator
Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 08:46 - Sep 30 with 1021 viewsRichardO

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 00:43 - Sep 30 by theloneranger

The Norwich commentators made a point the other week, how much energy our team use pressing and winning the ball back, and that it was impossible to keep it up for 90 mins - and needed a good bench to succeed with those tactics.

I agree but you cannot change the whole team to keep that press up, Bristol changed tactics we didn't, similar to Cardiff, against Norwich Grime did not drop so deep so often he kept higher up the pitch but in the last 15 he didn't and again we got put under pressure.
Why is Grimes dropping so deep consistently making our shape the same why the fullbacks need to be a bit more wise in their choice and timing of positioning same as Grimes , if Grimes is high up the park then the fullback need to sit deep offering the centre halves an alternative to Grimes, Bristol block the wings outlet on the right in the first half and changed to stoo the path through on the left which really means the only space was through the middle but with the fullbacks so high it meant Grimes ended up drop deeper, midfield was lost as Cooper carried on trying to press leaving Franco to stem the tide and resulting in the inevitable and often seen goal agains.
In trying to persist down the wings so often the shape of the midfield is lost.
Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 08:49 - Sep 30 with 1018 viewsjack247

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 07:05 - Sep 30 by builthjack

Agree. We need 18-19 good players. We have 12/13.
You have to blame the owners/Coleman for this.
Luke Williams would have wanted another 4 or 5 in, but obviously got ignored.

Absolutely. They still have one or two acolytes insisting they are doing a good job, the vast majority can see they have made life difficult for every manager since relegation.

Cullen and Vipotnik as our only strikers ffs
Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 08:53 - Sep 30 with 994 viewsjack247

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 08:46 - Sep 30 by RichardO

I agree but you cannot change the whole team to keep that press up, Bristol changed tactics we didn't, similar to Cardiff, against Norwich Grime did not drop so deep so often he kept higher up the pitch but in the last 15 he didn't and again we got put under pressure.
Why is Grimes dropping so deep consistently making our shape the same why the fullbacks need to be a bit more wise in their choice and timing of positioning same as Grimes , if Grimes is high up the park then the fullback need to sit deep offering the centre halves an alternative to Grimes, Bristol block the wings outlet on the right in the first half and changed to stoo the path through on the left which really means the only space was through the middle but with the fullbacks so high it meant Grimes ended up drop deeper, midfield was lost as Cooper carried on trying to press leaving Franco to stem the tide and resulting in the inevitable and often seen goal agains.

We just have to temper the press until we’ve got a squad capable of playing it IMO. That one is squarely on Williams, but he would probably argue 3 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats from 7 games is an acceptable return. It’s certainly a much better start than last season or Martins.

Really worry about the squad depth though. It’s looking stretched already.
Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 09:04 - Sep 30 with 969 viewsRichardO

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 08:53 - Sep 30 by jack247

We just have to temper the press until we’ve got a squad capable of playing it IMO. That one is squarely on Williams, but he would probably argue 3 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats from 7 games is an acceptable return. It’s certainly a much better start than last season or Martins.

Really worry about the squad depth though. It’s looking stretched already.

Agree about the points return but the points dropped against Cardiff and Bristol do rankle a bit given how well we played at times in the first halves, when we play through the middle we look impressive but that really depends on Grimes being higher up the pitch.
Not sure the drop in quality of players is the sole reason for our capitulation I feel it is down to tactics employed.
[Post edited 30 Sep 9:06]
Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 09:12 - Sep 30 with 946 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 08:46 - Sep 30 by RichardO

Its too much of a coincidence that we have struggled when substitutes are made in the second half and we lose momentum. The opposition seem to have stronger squads and the changes don't affect them so much. Bringing on Peart-Harris is an example, no way is he a forward. Blame Williams or blame Grimes if you want but the facts are simple.
Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 09:50 - Sep 30 with 886 viewsFireboy2

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 09:12 - Sep 30 by Whiterockin

Its too much of a coincidence that we have struggled when substitutes are made in the second half and we lose momentum. The opposition seem to have stronger squads and the changes don't affect them so much. Bringing on Peart-Harris is an example, no way is he a forward. Blame Williams or blame Grimes if you want but the facts are simple.

To me peart williams just ambled about.
Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 09:57 - Sep 30 with 873 viewsonehunglow

Another game,another false dawn
We were lucky to get a point
We were lucky to beat Norwich
Ok we have no strikers but in the end it is down to tactics.
Having Grines @t centre back is the root cause

Jesu,anyone alive out there ….

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 10:18 - Sep 30 with 844 viewsvetchonian

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 09:04 - Sep 30 by RichardO

Agree about the points return but the points dropped against Cardiff and Bristol do rankle a bit given how well we played at times in the first halves, when we play through the middle we look impressive but that really depends on Grimes being higher up the pitch.
Not sure the drop in quality of players is the sole reason for our capitulation I feel it is down to tactics employed.

yes had we not dropped thise points we would be sitting in the play off places just a point behind 2nd place.
Not bad given some on here were predicting relegation....yes its still eaely days yet despite our weak squad we seem to be doing well.
The best start to a season in a while with at times some entertaining football on display.
It seemsas fans Cooper ,Martin,Duff and now Williams are castigated ...in Duffs case it seems justified given his current tenure.
Williams may argue his tactics are working given where we are though I fear we are now as predictable as we were under Martin with opposition Managers waiting for us to runnout of legs then attack.
It.worked at Coventry as we had that second goal Vigs keeping and the fact thier finishing was crap saved us against Norwich along with Cabangos tackle.
Its not all William's fault as is much discussed the tools he has been given by the owners have narrowed his choices though yes he is still playing round pegs in square holes and seems determined to only attack along the wings
Still 7 games in we are in touching distance of the play offs and automatics....still early days maybe the still undeused new signings will soon step up....people have short memories Tymon came in for a huge amount of criticism at the start of last season.
As as been hinted on here there are possibly things going on on the background re the ownership...so who knows what that will bring
Yes we seem to be running things vey tight financially and lets hope that makes us stable financially.....after all thats what the previous ownership did on our rise from the ashes until we got to the PL.
Personally Id be happy with a financially stable mid table Championship club having a go in the cups its something I dreamt of 40 years ago.
Still a ling way to go this season...Parker and Govea to return...Bianchini to step up...maybe Wilson breaking rhough.

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 10:24 - Sep 30 with 840 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 10:18 - Sep 30 by vetchonian

yes had we not dropped thise points we would be sitting in the play off places just a point behind 2nd place.
Not bad given some on here were predicting relegation....yes its still eaely days yet despite our weak squad we seem to be doing well.
The best start to a season in a while with at times some entertaining football on display.
It seemsas fans Cooper ,Martin,Duff and now Williams are castigated ...in Duffs case it seems justified given his current tenure.
Williams may argue his tactics are working given where we are though I fear we are now as predictable as we were under Martin with opposition Managers waiting for us to runnout of legs then attack.
It.worked at Coventry as we had that second goal Vigs keeping and the fact thier finishing was crap saved us against Norwich along with Cabangos tackle.
Its not all William's fault as is much discussed the tools he has been given by the owners have narrowed his choices though yes he is still playing round pegs in square holes and seems determined to only attack along the wings
Still 7 games in we are in touching distance of the play offs and automatics....still early days maybe the still undeused new signings will soon step up....people have short memories Tymon came in for a huge amount of criticism at the start of last season.
As as been hinted on here there are possibly things going on on the background re the ownership...so who knows what that will bring
Yes we seem to be running things vey tight financially and lets hope that makes us stable financially.....after all thats what the previous ownership did on our rise from the ashes until we got to the PL.
Personally Id be happy with a financially stable mid table Championship club having a go in the cups its something I dreamt of 40 years ago.
Still a ling way to go this season...Parker and Govea to return...Bianchini to step up...maybe Wilson breaking rhough.

Morning vetchy I feel frustrated again.
There were signs we might be improving and being more positive but we seem typesetted,doomed to slow the game down when we should be upping it
Bristol did just that
Teams have long since worked us out
We need to change . This means not employing ciaches like Williams and Martin .
I think we have enough to stay up but no more seeing we have no real strikers . That is down to the owners .
However, we can do better with what we have
Ronald has been going backwards at a rate of knots l Why?
Grimes cannot help but drift back and get in loved with everything we do.
Why does he pass direct to the opposition so often .
These are questions to be addressed by the coach
Why does Darlong walk around. Why does he play act
Why start with Naughton ,who limitations were exposed yesterday as I’ve said many times before. He gets left for dead and had to foul.

Franco is the main man and unless he is crippled ,should stay on,seeing Grimes replaced . If ever a player looked naquered to me,it’s our captain .

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 10:36 - Sep 30 with 802 viewsjack247

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 09:04 - Sep 30 by RichardO

I’m with you 100%. It’s a combination of both. Grimes was too deep too often yesterday, no argument there.

I do think there is a noticeable and consistent drop off in the second half, due to the way we press being so energy consuming and the replacements not being suited to that type of game.
Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 10:36 - Sep 30 with 802 viewsvetchonian

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 10:24 - Sep 30 by onehunglow

Morning vetchy I feel frustrated again.
There were signs we might be improving and being more positive but we seem typesetted,doomed to slow the game down when we should be upping it
Bristol did just that
Teams have long since worked us out
We need to change . This means not employing ciaches like Williams and Martin .
I think we have enough to stay up but no more seeing we have no real strikers . That is down to the owners .
However, we can do better with what we have
Ronald has been going backwards at a rate of knots l Why?
Grimes cannot help but drift back and get in loved with everything we do.
Why does he pass direct to the opposition so often .
These are questions to be addressed by the coach
Why does Darlong walk around. Why does he play act
Why start with Naughton ,who limitations were exposed yesterday as I’ve said many times before. He gets left for dead and had to foul.

Franco is the main man and unless he is crippled ,should stay on,seeing Grimes replaced . If ever a player looked naquered to me,it’s our captain .

Understand your frustration.
we missed Cullens running arounfd and pressing yesterday that said Vip gave a good account of
himself .
Im frustrated as we wasted 4 points in both "derby's".
We do need a striker and need to secure at least a second goal when we are on top.
On a positive note for me when we are on top we do create scoring opportunities more than we have seen in recent seasons i feel....maybe the statos on here can back that up?

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 10:38 - Sep 30 with 799 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 10:36 - Sep 30 by vetchonian

Understand your frustration.
we missed Cullens running arounfd and pressing yesterday that said Vip gave a good account of
himself .
Im frustrated as we wasted 4 points in both "derby's".
We do need a striker and need to secure at least a second goal when we are on top.
On a positive note for me when we are on top we do create scoring opportunities more than we have seen in recent seasons i feel....maybe the statos on here can back that up?

Decent reply
Bloody football.
Worse than crack cocaine

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 11:10 - Sep 30 with 736 viewspete

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 09:12 - Sep 30 by Whiterockin

whiterockin it is showing with NO disrespect to any player that our squad is very lightweight both in quality and numbers and for me there is only 1 area of the club to blame and thats not here on the ground, said it before the season started we need a tidy squad of quality not cheaper younger lads it shows in every game we have had approx 60 mins of fairly good football then when changes happen we have to hang on
Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 11:40 - Sep 30 with 709 viewsRichardO

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 10:18 - Sep 30 by vetchonian

It does seem as if Williams is playing things safe with his substitutions, he has got us results before with the use of Abdulai, Bianchini, Vipotnik, Fulton, Naughton and Allen our own players who for the most part are considered to be fringe squad players at the moment and Pearl-Harris our loan player.
We should have been out of sight against Cardiff and Bristol but we didn't see them off in the first halves when we should have, opposition teams adjust their setup to come out and attack us, we really need to counter those changes to keep us on the front foot. I really think that Grimes should be one of the players coming off as he gives ground away in the middle of the park instead of providing a presence in the centre of our midfield a presence that against Norwich he did provide up until about the seventieth minute but then flagged whether it because of cramp or injury but he reverted to dropping too deep as Norwich applied pressure on us instead, in games he should be higher up the park preventing that pressure whilst maintaining our own by dropping back the midfield gets disjointed and doesn't function properly. Coaches tactics to prevent opposition teams applying that pressure need to be addressed we have the players in Eom and Ronald with the pace to hurt team which we have complained we have lacked in the past if the width is being stifled maybe they should be tried tucking playing off the centre forward and give the full backs space down the wings to attack.
Early days but other options have to be used to keep control in games.
[Post edited 30 Sep 11:44]
Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 11:46 - Sep 30 with 693 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 11:40 - Sep 30 by RichardO

It does seem as if Williams is playing things safe with his substitutions, he has got us results before with the use of Abdulai, Bianchini, Vipotnik, Fulton, Naughton and Allen our own players who for the most part are considered to be fringe squad players at the moment and Pearl-Harris our loan player.
We should have been out of sight against Cardiff and Bristol but we didn't see them off in the first halves when we should have, opposition teams adjust their setup to come out and attack us, we really need to counter those changes to keep us on the front foot. I really think that Grimes should be one of the players coming off as he gives ground away in the middle of the park instead of providing a presence in the centre of our midfield a presence that against Norwich he did provide up until about the seventieth minute but then flagged whether it because of cramp or injury but he reverted to dropping too deep as Norwich applied pressure on us instead, in games he should be higher up the park preventing that pressure whilst maintaining our own by dropping back the midfield gets disjointed and doesn't function properly. Coaches tactics to prevent opposition teams applying that pressure need to be addressed we have the players in Eom and Ronald with the pace to hurt team which we have complained we have lacked in the past if the width is being stifled maybe they should be tried tucking playing off the centre forward and give the full backs space down the wings to attack.

And there it is
The truth
It’s exactly as things are

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 12:05 - Sep 30 with 650 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 11:40 - Sep 30 by RichardO

If you think Williams is playing safe with the substitutions, who would you take off the bench and add, personally I think he probably has the best bench available, it's just not good enough, possibly I would put Wilson if fit instead of Pearl-Harris. As for your comments about Ronald yes he has pace but has been gash this season.
Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 12:05 - Sep 30 with 647 viewsLegend83

As already discussed, it's hard to do this when the squad is as thin as it is, but sometimes it's healthy for players who have become "auto-picks" to get a game or two on the bench to remind them there is competition for their positions.

Ronald is a prime candidate, I feel he is resting a bit on his early-promise laurels. All he currently offers is work-rate, which is not enough.

Grimes is the other obvious candidate but we all know he is seemingly un-droppable. I don't like to criticise our players generally, but his terrible performance needs calling out. Bullied off the ball too easily, slow to get back, no vision - how many times I could see Ronald, Franco and Vip waving their arms for a ball over the top and he hesitated before playing a sideways pass to Tymon.

Given he has the lion's share of our overall possession, it just is not good enough. How many other teams in the Championship have one midfielder who plays this possession-hogging, slow, zero-threat "quarterback" role?

And don't get me started on the two corners we had near the end where he failed to beat the first man TWICE, and didn't even have the humility to apologise to the team.

He is Mr. Consistent - consistently playing at 70% of his capability.
Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 12:07 - Sep 30 with 638 viewstheloneranger

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 09:50 - Sep 30 by Fireboy2

To me peart williams just ambled about.

Luke Williams made a big point of saying Peart-Harris was far from match fit when he joined us - he'd had hardly any pre season with Brentford - not part of the first team or their second team.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 12:20 - Sep 30 with 599 viewsunion_jack

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 12:05 - Sep 30 by Legend83

As already discussed, it's hard to do this when the squad is as thin as it is, but sometimes it's healthy for players who have become "auto-picks" to get a game or two on the bench to remind them there is competition for their positions.

Ronald is a prime candidate, I feel he is resting a bit on his early-promise laurels. All he currently offers is work-rate, which is not enough.

Grimes is the other obvious candidate but we all know he is seemingly un-droppable. I don't like to criticise our players generally, but his terrible performance needs calling out. Bullied off the ball too easily, slow to get back, no vision - how many times I could see Ronald, Franco and Vip waving their arms for a ball over the top and he hesitated before playing a sideways pass to Tymon.

Given he has the lion's share of our overall possession, it just is not good enough. How many other teams in the Championship have one midfielder who plays this possession-hogging, slow, zero-threat "quarterback" role?

And don't get me started on the two corners we had near the end where he failed to beat the first man TWICE, and didn't even have the humility to apologise to the team.

I’d expect Mumbles Rangers under 11s to put better corners in than that. I think I was screaming at the TV when I saw them!

He needs to be benched. For his own good as well as the team’s as a whole.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 12:22 - Sep 30 with 592 viewsjack247

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 12:07 - Sep 30 by theloneranger

Luke Williams made a big point of saying Peart-Harris was far from match fit when he joined us - he'd had hardly any pre season with Brentford - not part of the first team or their second team.

That’s the third this summer. Appreciate two of them were deadline day and one was a free because his club hit the wall, but come on.
Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 12:57 - Sep 30 with 536 viewsFlashberryjack

2 steps forward and 2 steps back.
Just about sums up the way I'm feeling about the team atm.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 13:02 - Sep 30 with 526 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 12:05 - Sep 30 by Legend83

A player who has a great left foot failing to do what your average Sunday League player does
Repeatedwithin a minute

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 13:15 - Sep 30 with 501 viewsRichardO

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 12:20 - Sep 30 by union_jack

I’d expect Mumbles Rangers under 11s to put better corners in than that. I think I was screaming at the TV when I saw them!

He needs to be benched. For his own good as well as the team’s as a whole.

He has been relieved of corner taking duties by previous managers and Williams also had stopped using him as well, but at one point yesterday Tymon was taking a corner and it left Naughton and Grimes as our two player to defend against a possible counter attack, absolutely barmy. At least in the second half Tymon stayed back and was screaming for Key not to take the corner and to get back to defended instead which left Grime to take the corner which you point out he is not the best, Williams really needs to sort out a better corner taker to deliver them, let Grimes stay on the edge of the box he has the shooting skills to be of use there.

As for who would replace Grimes if he was substituted it would be Allen as he has the skill set to match Grimes in a 30 minute stint. If you are taking Cooper or Franco off then try Abdulai at least give him the chance there. If you are worried about over working Eom or Ronald maybe Key or Tymon can shift up bringing Naughton off the bench to play rightback or leftback as needed.

Vipotnik did a lot better while having to drop so deep but runners then need to go beyond him but I really don't know how the match officials miss so many rugby tackles on players as they go to run into space for a possible return ball.
[Post edited 30 Sep 13:16]
Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 13:19 - Sep 30 with 486 viewsunion_jack

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 13:15 - Sep 30 by RichardO

He has been relieved of corner taking duties by previous managers and Williams also had stopped using him as well, but at one point yesterday Tymon was taking a corner and it left Naughton and Grimes as our two player to defend against a possible counter attack, absolutely barmy. At least in the second half Tymon stayed back and was screaming for Key not to take the corner and to get back to defended instead which left Grime to take the corner which you point out he is not the best, Williams really needs to sort out a better corner taker to deliver them, let Grimes stay on the edge of the box he has the shooting skills to be of use there.

As for who would replace Grimes if he was substituted it would be Allen as he has the skill set to match Grimes in a 30 minute stint. If you are taking Cooper or Franco off then try Abdulai at least give him the chance there. If you are worried about over working Eom or Ronald maybe Key or Tymon can shift up bringing Naughton off the bench to play rightback or leftback as needed.

Vipotnik did a lot better while having to drop so deep but runners then need to go beyond him but I really don't know how the match officials miss so many rugby tackles on players as they go to run into space for a possible return ball.
[Post edited 30 Sep 13:16]

To be fair, if the officials had spotted everything, our goal wouldn’t have stood.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 13:21 - Sep 30 with 482 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Bristol City : Match day thread : SUNDAY ! on 12:22 - Sep 30 by jack247

That’s the third this summer. Appreciate two of them were deadline day and one was a free because his club hit the wall, but come on.

So why bring him in?
Madness

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024