Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we weak at left back?? 13:52 - Jul 28 with 8906 viewsJules4367

Not a criticism, not a moan but an observation which I hope the team have seen.

Time and again for the last two seasons goals have come from teams getting round the back and Paal not being able (or willing) to commit to tackling and it is noticeable that the goal came from that same area yesterday.

Does Paal need support on our left?
Are we weak at left back?? on 13:55 - Jul 28 with 4537 viewscolinallcars

He's better higher up the pitch.
Are we weak at left back?? on 13:58 - Jul 28 with 4512 viewsstevec

Let’s sort the front four out first
Are we weak at left back?? on 17:02 - Jul 28 with 4326 viewsdavman

Are we weak at left back?? on 13:55 - Jul 28 by colinallcars

...but he's not.

I have never seen him beat his man and his crossing is crap.

Add into the mix that he cannot defend and it's not a great picture.

Great touch, good a keep ball, always available and, er, that's it.

Overrated as much as Chair is underrated.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Are we weak at left back?? on 17:10 - Jul 28 with 4314 viewsnix

I'm not certain of this but my perception is that he's left more isolated than the right back on average. Paal seems to often have to be 1-1 with an attacker and sometimes 2-1. It's pretty rare that Chair, for example, only has to beat the other team's right back, there's often two players against him.

When Dunne is defending there is often Smyth helping to cover, also Andersen tends to be more on the right of the pitch than the left to mop up balls that fall loose.
Are we weak at left back?? on 17:15 - Jul 28 with 4287 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I didn’t see him yesterday granted, but I’ve never thought Paal was a weakness. Was a candidate for POTY after the CBs for me last season.

LB not a priority for me.
Are we weak at left back?? on 17:44 - Jul 28 with 4209 viewsmart_Goblin

Paal was targeted by teams last season regularly as players with the run on him beat him
In the air almost every time.
Paal is ok but nothing more. I think we can improve that position as Larkeche isn’t the answer either
Are we weak at left back?? on 17:48 - Jul 28 with 4192 viewsHastings_Hoops

Are we weak at left back?? on 17:02 - Jul 28 by davman

...but he's not.

Was top scorer for a long period last year and always gets a high score on gaffr (championship fantasy football).
[Post edited 28 Jul 17:49]
Are we weak at left back?? on 18:24 - Jul 28 with 4101 viewsessextaxiboy

Another overeaction after a pre season friendly .

Last week it was Santos in one of his first games against a Prem side

Now its Kenny Paal who made a single mistake that cost us a vital win in a pre season friendly .
The guy who came here leaving a pregnant partner on the word of Beale and then played all through the turmoil and angst that came after scoring a few vital goals along the way .
Maybe you would like Nico back ?
Login to get fewer ads

Are we weak at left back?? on 18:34 - Jul 28 with 4086 viewsLazyFan

Paal is a very talented player, I don't agree he's not good in the air, I think he is.
His challenge is that he is not quick enough for the ever faster Championship, and as a result, he gets beaten for pace by players who skill-wise alone would never beat him.

For example, if Smyth were up against him, he would beat Paal many times just on pace alone. Teams are now wise to this and he gets targeted a lot now. Chair, in the latter third of the season, actually did run back and help out a lot, which really helped Paal out.

We also have Fox, who can play that position and did well in it when required. Ideally, we need a new LB who is pacy and a decent crosser (as that's the Champ for you), but we have more significant priorities, which the manager has now made public.

We need more forwards. As I guess read Marti, we need a first-team RW to replace Willock (as Smyth is not a first-teamer and can also play LW as backup if needed). And, of course, we need a number 9 as Frey is not up to it (I would put Kohli ahead of him now as he can play there too), and Dykes is injured and also not up to it. Possibly also a creative player like Andersen who cannot last a full 90, let alone 3 games per week.

So, three players ahead of a LB. And then it seems Varane as DMC is incoming so, that makes 4. Unless, of course, we flog Paal to Watford, which we should do. And then go out and get a real young quick replacement. I doubt we will get an LB without selling Paal first, so that's that, then.

zzzzzzzzzz

Are we weak at left back?? on 20:18 - Jul 28 with 3927 viewsaston_hoop

Ziyad Larkeche is about to join Dundee on loan so we are certainly going to be a little bit weaker at least

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Are we weak at left back?? on 20:34 - Jul 28 with 3874 viewsLogman

Are we going to need to move another centre back to full back ? JCS ?

(That's not as daft as it sounds)
Are we weak at left back?? on 21:12 - Jul 28 with 3748 viewsstainrods_elbow

Are we weak at left back?? on 20:18 - Jul 28 by aston_hoop

Ziyad Larkeche is about to join Dundee on loan so we are certainly going to be a little bit weaker at least

Makes little sense to me, as the squad is already too light.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Are we weak at left back?? (n/t) on 21:22 - Jul 28 with 3708 viewsMyke

Are we weak at left back?? on 21:12 - Jul 28 by stainrods_elbow

Are we weak at left back?? on 21:33 - Jul 28 with 3690 viewsCateLeBonR

Are we weak at left back?? on 17:02 - Jul 28 by davman

...but he's not.

"Overrated as much as Chair is underrated"

I think they're both underrated.
Are we weak at left back?? (n/t) on 21:34 - Jul 28 with 3682 viewsMyke

Are we weak at left back?? (n/t) on 21:22 - Jul 28 by Myke

I am less concerned about Paal's ability than the fact that he is in the final year of his contract and either needs to sign an extension or be sold before we lose him for nothing. He is not the quickest but is reliable in every other way and with our new found solidity in the middle, crosses into the box are not the danger they used to be (Dunne is a huge part of that) I would be happy for Paal to play every game next season IF he signs an extension
With regard to Lakeche if he is going on loan that is not a bad plan as he is very inexperienced and we have Fox to cover if necessary. Also frees up another few quid
But we need the Paal situation resolved ASAP.
Are we weak at left back?? on 21:52 - Jul 28 with 3634 viewsLazyFan

If they loan him out, it's usually to free up wages and bring in someone who they feel is better suited for the same position.

Like we did with Dozy for Hayden. I thought we should have given Larks more starts as he looked okay to me, but others disagree and maybe they know better as I have not watched him that closely. Also, Marti clearly thinks there is no point so, hence the loan.

Marti is, in one way, quite ruthless; in another, he gives players such as LLyod and Tuck chances. And then, if they cannot, loan them out so they can at least get minutes elsewhere.
He even did it with Richards.

I quite like this approach, you know, playing players to find out if they could get in the team, maybe in a diff position such as he did with Dunne and Fox last season.
It's a shocking concept, I know.

zzzzzzzzzz

Are we weak at left back?? on 22:16 - Jul 28 with 3576 viewswombat

Are we weak at left back?? on 13:55 - Jul 28 by colinallcars

Presume you wasn’t at millwall away ? That little experiment of paal playing midfield failed miserably

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Are we weak at left back?? on 23:15 - Jul 28 with 3449 viewsnumptydumpty

I think Larkeche could improve but rumours of a loan.

Paal - is for me inconsistent - but weak in defence at times.

Strange both are rumoured for moves.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Are we weak at left back?? on 09:47 - Jul 29 with 3236 viewsHooparoo

Surprised that Larkeche is going out on loan. We don’t have many natural lefties and I was hoping to see more of him this season

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Are we weak at left back?? on 09:50 - Jul 29 with 3205 viewsTheChef

Are we weak at left back?? on 09:47 - Jul 29 by Hooparoo

Surprised that Larkeche is going out on loan. We don’t have many natural lefties and I was hoping to see more of him this season

Paal has been very good for us, I mean he played virtually every game last season and I think rarely put a foot wrong.

For sure though he does lack support/competition, especially if Larkeche is going out on loan. But if that is happening that would suggest we have someone else lined up to come in (you would hope...).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Are we weak at left back?? on 10:35 - Jul 29 with 3096 viewsthehat

Not a huge fan of Paal - He certainly gets targeted by opposition teams with diagonals.

My biggest criticism of him is he hardly ever manages to stop crosses.
Are we weak at left back?? on 11:23 - Jul 29 with 3013 viewsfrancisbowles

Are we weak at left back?? on 21:52 - Jul 28 by LazyFan

If they loan him out, it's usually to free up wages and bring in someone who they feel is better suited for the same position.

Like we did with Dozy for Hayden. I thought we should have given Larks more starts as he looked okay to me, but others disagree and maybe they know better as I have not watched him that closely. Also, Marti clearly thinks there is no point so, hence the loan.

Marti is, in one way, quite ruthless; in another, he gives players such as LLyod and Tuck chances. And then, if they cannot, loan them out so they can at least get minutes elsewhere.
He even did it with Richards.

I quite like this approach, you know, playing players to find out if they could get in the team, maybe in a diff position such as he did with Dunne and Fox last season.
It's a shocking concept, I know.

Larkeche was given a start in the behind closed doors friendly last week. If this rumour is true, it suggests Marti didn't like what he saw.
For me, Larkeche is exciting as an impact sub going forward but has been poor defensively.
As for Pal. He was very good for us for most of last season but he has been very poor so far, in pre season.
Either way one left back may be required.
Are we weak at left back?? on 12:06 - Jul 29 with 2934 viewskernowhoop

The club must know best, but this move disappoints me. I saw him as part of the squad - versatile and an under-developed talent. I hope that he comes back better for the Dundee experience.
Are we weak at left back?? on 21:40 - Jul 29 with 2734 viewsJules4367

Are we weak at left back?? on 18:24 - Jul 28 by essextaxiboy

Another overeaction after a pre season friendly .

Last week it was Santos in one of his first games against a Prem side

Now its Kenny Paal who made a single mistake that cost us a vital win in a pre season friendly .
The guy who came here leaving a pregnant partner on the word of Beale and then played all through the turmoil and angst that came after scoring a few vital goals along the way .
Maybe you would like Nico back ?

With respect -
No- not an over reaction based on pre-season as the OP clearly states!
It was a question and at least some if the replies concur that there IS a weakness there, if only lack of support/cover!

Let’s see how it pans out and whether teams again focus on a right sided overlap and crossing attack - as they have for two seasons!

Time will tell and, as both Marti and his post match interviewer said- better to react to things seen in friendlies than wait till the season and start losing points!
Are we weak at left back?? on 22:08 - Jul 29 with 2684 viewsgazza1

Paal is the least of our worries, we need a striker and, perhaps, another CM player.

As for Larkeche, send him out and sell him if we can - not good enough.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024