Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread - A Royal Preseason 09:37 - Jul 27 with 25578 viewsHooping_Mad

Never done one of these, fully expecting a cricket score.

Nardi hat-trick.

U R's

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 20:46 - Jul 27 with 2650 viewsstainrods_elbow

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 20:39 - Jul 27 by 1JD

A good exercise in terms of knowing where we are at, and what we are lacking.

I believe MC knows what we need, but perhaps the powers that be might not. For example, you might have people at the club saying the CM is fine, but in MCs eyes, it is not. And in my eyes, it certainly is not. You can’t play the ways he wants to play with the current set of CM players and combinations.

Agree on Smyth - enigma was being kind. He’s infuriating and not at the level required, but he’s a good impact sub off the bench.

Out of interest, where do you/others see us finishing on the basis of what you've seen of us in pre-season (barring significant in-comings)?

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 20:50 - Jul 27 with 2642 viewsJevlar

Wasn't at the game today but perhaps a loss like this will serve as a reality check and temper expectations all round. Not saying that we're all expecting a play off tilt!

Even before today, I have thought we were 2/3 players short (striker, attacking mid, defensive/centre mid).

What has at least been encouraging this pre-season is seeing the emergence of Kolli and perhaps Lloyd. Kolli in particular is a match day squad addition.

Lloyd could benefit from a brief lower league loan (in league 1/2) to get some more game time.
[Post edited 27 Jul 20:50]
Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 20:51 - Jul 27 with 2634 viewsHooparoo

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 17:53 - Jul 27 by PlanetHonneywood

Well, not in this life!

Let it be

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 20:54 - Jul 27 with 2577 viewsstainrods_elbow

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 20:50 - Jul 27 by Jevlar

Wasn't at the game today but perhaps a loss like this will serve as a reality check and temper expectations all round. Not saying that we're all expecting a play off tilt!

Even before today, I have thought we were 2/3 players short (striker, attacking mid, defensive/centre mid).

What has at least been encouraging this pre-season is seeing the emergence of Kolli and perhaps Lloyd. Kolli in particular is a match day squad addition.

Lloyd could benefit from a brief lower league loan (in league 1/2) to get some more game time.
[Post edited 27 Jul 20:50]

Why can't Lloyd get it with us? Should the likes of Dykes and Frey really be keeping him out?

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 20:54 - Jul 27 with 2603 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I don’t think a reality check will do us any harm.
Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 21:01 - Jul 27 with 2571 viewsLazyFan

Nardi = Played okay and his distribution was okay.

Dunne = Played well and his usual solid self
Cook = Was decent
Clarke-Salter = Was okay but should have avoided getting a yellow at the end. Did a nice pass to Smyth in the first half that put him clean through.
Paal = Very poor, hes been found out now, while he has the skills he lacks pace. It's the reason he gave the goal away as he was unable to get back in time and then lamely chested it. And it's the reason he plays in the Champ, not quick enough.

Colback = Was very poor, looked unfit and was unable to get up and down the pitch.
Field = Was poor and did little even in the tackle.
Andersen = Was okay, but he doesn't look fit. Looked spent at half time.

Smyth = Was our main threat and best player. But even he was just decent.
Frey = Was poor, really he's a L1 player as he's just not mobile enough.
Lloyd = He got found out here. Yeah, he can beat his man, but then he loses the ball, and it's swept up. He's more of a striker than a winger, I would say. He should go out on loan now that we know his limits.

(Celar 58') = Made some decent runs but never really got into the game, though.
(Dykes 68') = Looked better than Frey, but not by much, then, of course, went off injured.
(Kolli 68') = He was better than Lloyd and linked well with EDB when he moved to the LW.
(Dixon-Bonner 80') = Played better than Field or Colback, linked well with Kolli.
(Santos 80') = Looked okay.
(Morrison 80') = Looked okay
(Larkeche 86') = Too little time to judge, but at least was ready when called upon.

We have a big problem: without Chair or Willock, our creativity only comes through Andersen, who looks unfit, and Smyth, who is one-dimensional. Our forwards couldn't score in a brothel (unless Celar comes good), so we have the very QPR problem of failing to score. Worse, with Paal's mistake, we can see the return of Charity Park Rangers in effect.

We need to sign at least two more players, a creative player and, of course, the mythical forward. Of course, Dykes gets injured again when we want to sell him. We have the funds to do this if we are cautious with them.

Jay Stansfield comes to mind, and then there is that analytics on forwards we have read about here. Remember, Leeds was in for Chair before, so we should assume he could go at any time.

zzzzzzzzzz

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 21:06 - Jul 27 with 2532 viewsPaddyhoops

Haven’t seen any of the pre season games but lots of people on here not very happy with this game in particular.
Pretty certain we will be ready come the season opener.
Not getting my knickers in twist over it .
If were four down at half time v WBA . I’ll start to worry. For now I’m going to enjoy my Summer.
Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 21:11 - Jul 27 with 2473 viewsJevlar

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 20:54 - Jul 27 by stainrods_elbow

Why can't Lloyd get it with us? Should the likes of Dykes and Frey really be keeping him out?

Perhaps Lloyd should but my thoughts are influenced by the lack of loan time Armstrong got and the ‘what if’ feeling there is with his transfer.

Wouldn’t want Lloyd to possibly suffer the same way. Although they are different players

You’d like to think Dykes may be on his way out or we at least get another forward in, if we have the £££, which we probably don’t!
Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 21:31 - Jul 27 with 2363 viewsbosh67

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 21:01 - Jul 27 by LazyFan

Nardi = Played okay and his distribution was okay.

Dunne = Played well and his usual solid self
Cook = Was decent
Clarke-Salter = Was okay but should have avoided getting a yellow at the end. Did a nice pass to Smyth in the first half that put him clean through.
Paal = Very poor, hes been found out now, while he has the skills he lacks pace. It's the reason he gave the goal away as he was unable to get back in time and then lamely chested it. And it's the reason he plays in the Champ, not quick enough.

Colback = Was very poor, looked unfit and was unable to get up and down the pitch.
Field = Was poor and did little even in the tackle.
Andersen = Was okay, but he doesn't look fit. Looked spent at half time.

Smyth = Was our main threat and best player. But even he was just decent.
Frey = Was poor, really he's a L1 player as he's just not mobile enough.
Lloyd = He got found out here. Yeah, he can beat his man, but then he loses the ball, and it's swept up. He's more of a striker than a winger, I would say. He should go out on loan now that we know his limits.

(Celar 58') = Made some decent runs but never really got into the game, though.
(Dykes 68') = Looked better than Frey, but not by much, then, of course, went off injured.
(Kolli 68') = He was better than Lloyd and linked well with EDB when he moved to the LW.
(Dixon-Bonner 80') = Played better than Field or Colback, linked well with Kolli.
(Santos 80') = Looked okay.
(Morrison 80') = Looked okay
(Larkeche 86') = Too little time to judge, but at least was ready when called upon.

We have a big problem: without Chair or Willock, our creativity only comes through Andersen, who looks unfit, and Smyth, who is one-dimensional. Our forwards couldn't score in a brothel (unless Celar comes good), so we have the very QPR problem of failing to score. Worse, with Paal's mistake, we can see the return of Charity Park Rangers in effect.

We need to sign at least two more players, a creative player and, of course, the mythical forward. Of course, Dykes gets injured again when we want to sell him. We have the funds to do this if we are cautious with them.

Jay Stansfield comes to mind, and then there is that analytics on forwards we have read about here. Remember, Leeds was in for Chair before, so we should assume he could go at any time.

"Jay Stansfield" I think we're more in the market for Lisa Stansfield.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 21:35 - Jul 27 with 2344 viewsconnell10

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 20:46 - Jul 27 by stainrods_elbow

Out of interest, where do you/others see us finishing on the basis of what you've seen of us in pre-season (barring significant in-comings)?

18th maybe

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 21:45 - Jul 27 with 2292 viewsbosh67

Highlights. Certainly not disastrous. Smyth the main threat and unlucky not to score on two occasions. Does Paal get an assist for the goal? Not his finest moment.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 21:50 - Jul 27 with 2269 viewsdmm

As football fans we are a fickle lot. Last Saturday most, including me, were very pleased with the performance against the Spuds, even though we lost. Today most, including me, are now rather unhappy.

There are certainly issues to be dealt with but maybe we should try to be a little more circumspect.
Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 21:57 - Jul 27 with 2254 viewsCateLeBonR

Alfie Lloyd
Da da, da da, da ,da
Alfie Lloyd…

Again not a bad performance from a player with (correct me if I’m wrong) 0 league appearances.

🟦⬜️
Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 22:16 - Jul 27 with 2167 viewsstevec

Was all for moving on Willock and Sinclair but expected some forward reinforcements.
Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 22:26 - Jul 27 with 2131 viewsbosh67

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 22:16 - Jul 27 by stevec

Was all for moving on Willock and Sinclair but expected some forward reinforcements.

I suspect (hope) things may well happen in the next few weeks but it does depend on what money is actually available.

Never knowingly right.

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 22:47 - Jul 27 with 2036 viewsnumptydumpty

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 21:45 - Jul 27 by bosh67

Highlights. Certainly not disastrous. Smyth the main threat and unlucky not to score on two occasions. Does Paal get an assist for the goal? Not his finest moment.

If you were there Bosh, you.could have seen it was a poor performance especially in the second half.

Fingers crossed Celar turns out to be decent!!
[Post edited 27 Jul 22:48]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 03:32 - Jul 28 with 1732 viewsrbee

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 21:50 - Jul 27 by dmm

As football fans we are a fickle lot. Last Saturday most, including me, were very pleased with the performance against the Spuds, even though we lost. Today most, including me, are now rather unhappy.

There are certainly issues to be dealt with but maybe we should try to be a little more circumspect.

Exactly this! A week ago we were going to have a good season but today we are going to be struggling this seaason. We can analyse our pre-season performances over 100 pages here and still have no idea how we will line up and perform against WBA in two weeks time.

Pre-season friendlies are meaningless right however any manager will tell you that they want to win every game. I suspect that our players were well up for the challenge of playing Spurs last week but not so much yesterday in Reading's soulless, empty stadium.

Watching the highlights I would say Reading's keeper made a couple of good saves and Frey missed what is likely to be the best chance he will receive all season. He had the time and space to put his book down, remove his sunglasses, get up from his lounger and nod the ball in.
[Post edited 28 Jul 4:15]
Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 04:39 - Jul 28 with 1694 viewsLblock

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 21:31 - Jul 27 by bosh67

"Jay Stansfield" I think we're more in the market for Lisa Stansfield.

Strikers are hard to find

The club have been around the world looking for one

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 06:38 - Jul 28 with 1580 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Not having seen any of the PSFs, but reading the more sensible posts of those who have, and decades of experience following this lot, the reality of where we are currently, is probably somewhere between the Spurs and Reading performances.

However, we still seem to have several blokes who, for us and for them, could really do with being less shot-shy. Sometimes you just need to put your effing laces through it and aim for the nearest of the four corners of the goal!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 09:21 - Jul 28 with 1266 viewsDannyPaddox

Meanwhile in Baggiestan.

4 training ground ‘home’ games for WBA:

Bolton L 1-2
Peterborough W 2-1
Blackpool L 1-2
Mallorca L 0-1

Intriguingly their next game is on Friday away at Cambridge followed by away at Birmingham the next day.

Cambridge also have Friday/ Saturday fixtures, away at Colchester on Saturday. So though you’d think Cambridge v WBA on Friday is a glorified U21 fixture it is a 7.45 kick off with ticket prices full whack the same as our Cup game.

Perusal of their message boards WBA sound a bit like us, knocking it around but lack of firepower up front.

In addition Jason Molumby engaged in behind closed handbags fisticuffs with a Spaniard.

Agent Paddox signing off.
Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 09:28 - Jul 28 with 1231 viewsdmm

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 09:21 - Jul 28 by DannyPaddox

Meanwhile in Baggiestan.

4 training ground ‘home’ games for WBA:

Bolton L 1-2
Peterborough W 2-1
Blackpool L 1-2
Mallorca L 0-1

Intriguingly their next game is on Friday away at Cambridge followed by away at Birmingham the next day.

Cambridge also have Friday/ Saturday fixtures, away at Colchester on Saturday. So though you’d think Cambridge v WBA on Friday is a glorified U21 fixture it is a 7.45 kick off with ticket prices full whack the same as our Cup game.

Perusal of their message boards WBA sound a bit like us, knocking it around but lack of firepower up front.

In addition Jason Molumby engaged in behind closed handbags fisticuffs with a Spaniard.

Agent Paddox signing off.

Stop it. You'll go blind.
Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 09:50 - Jul 28 with 1172 viewsgazza1

PSF or not we should not be loosing to a 'bog standard' team like Reading, they are seriously not very good. The Manager and his coaches will be very disappointed and the players should be as well, just like most of the Supporters were I would suggest.

We are still lacking 'up front' otherwise we are not too bad and we will compete with the better teams in the Championship.(Dykes will struggle to make any impact as we have seen for a long time now and Frey isn't impressing me atm but not seen enough of the new lads).
[Post edited 28 Jul 9:51]
Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 09:53 - Jul 28 with 1162 viewsBurnleyhoop

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 20:29 - Jul 27 by cheeseydane

Didnt see the game, but maybe the absence of Chair, Willock, Hayden and Armstrong from the squad that finished last season is having a bigger effect than anticipated.

The lack of creativity without Chair and a half arsed Willock was stark. Those two have made us tick for the last four seasons. We looked blunt without them.

Lloyd made a lot of mistakes and shouldn’t be a starter, but there is potential there. Kolli should be starting in Chairs absence as his back injury is apparently worse than initially expected.

The inability of Colback and Field to turn with the ball frustrated me the most. Didn’t even look behind them before playing the ball back on most occasions.
Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 11:10 - Jul 28 with 1023 viewsMrSheen

Cheer yourselves up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cv2g0x989eno
Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 11:39 - Jul 28 with 941 viewsMedwayR

Match Thread - A Royal Preseason on 11:10 - Jul 28 by MrSheen

Cheer yourselves up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cv2g0x989eno

I saw they were playing Celtic and thought that could be a bit of aggro with chelsea's links to Glasgow Rangers, then I realised it was in USA so not one for the fans, modern football eh.

Poll: Who’s better?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024