Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The NFL Thread 14:33 - Jul 30 with 38972 viewsJonnyTheJack

Training camps started last week. Getting closer to it the season starting.

Hard Knocks starts again on the 6th of August. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1713991-hbo-bengals-hard-knocks-teaser-will-t
The NFL Thread on 14:58 - Jan 2 with 1926 viewsjruss1

That idea is gathering pace. But Teddy Bridgewater is highly tripped to go to them number one.

They have the cap space to make a move for Jay Cutler as well. Anything is possible at this point.
The NFL Thread on 15:45 - Jan 2 with 1907 viewsDavillin

The US "bowl system" is not a "system." It's a hodge-podge of money-makers for universities, advertisers, and TV networks.

Before the fans got their wish - screamed at full volume for years - for a so-called "National Championship Game," [which is most certainly not a true "national championship game"], the individual bowl organizers had both a pecking order and a system for choosing teams. Some of that has remained, some has disappeared. For example, up until and including this season, the Rose Bowl always featured a Pacific Coast team vs. a Big Ten Team, and always on New Year's Day. Next season, they lose that distinction as "The Granddaddy of them All" and will feature a "semi-final" game in the "national championship," teams to be selected by the BCS Committee. The mighty have fallen.

When the BCS took over the phoney "national championship system," they went through several ways of choosing which teams would play in it. It's always been a system of voting, the eligible voters changing as the winds change - coaches, athletic directors, TV people, etc. It's a personality contest, really, because who's to say that Auburn and Florida State are the top two? The rankings change every week throughout the season. That's every week.

The latest gimmick in the "national championship" farce is that any established bowl game that isn't chosen to host the semi-final or final game still picks the two teams it thinks its reputation - in terms of money and TV exposure - can persuade in. Penn State, for example, usually had for years a bowl game which was not decided on their national "ranking," but instead on the number of viewers they would draw. [Lots and lots.]

Except for the huge amounts of money involved, you should just consider bowl games as puff pieces and a sop to US fans who seem to need champions or they crack under the strain.

If you like college football, they're fun to watch, usually because they bring together two teams who did not meet each other during the season. They also serve a tangential purpose of showcasing certain players with NFL dreams. You may rest assured that those dreams usually do not come true. Witness the very poor NFL success rates of Heisman Trophy winners over the years.

Just don't take bowl games seriously and you'll enjoy them.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

The NFL Thread on 01:56 - Jan 3 with 1879 viewsDrizzy

The Browns would be a decent gig for any young QB. They have a lot of talent on defense, the NFL's second best wide receiver and picks/cap space available for a lot of rebuilding. It's a shame (OK maybe not a shame) that their FO is so unpredictable and overreacting *cough* Joe Banner *cough*.

Manziel does not go #1 overall in my opinion. He's a phenomenal talent but Bridgewater is a much safer bet. As good a pure pocket passer as you'll see in college. Manziel should go in the first round but there are several other good QBs that don't come with the baggage that teams may opt for such as Derek Carr, Brett Hundley (if he declares) or even Blake Bortles.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

The NFL Thread on 11:22 - Jan 3 with 1870 viewsjruss1

Even though I would take Manziel 1st, I can’t argue with Bridgewater. Bortles looked pretty good when I saw him a few days ago. Can move for such a big guy as well, similar build to Big Ben. I suspect him being a Florida native and going to Central Florida he might be high on the Jags radar. It is a draft full of interesting QB prospects, last year was the worst I can remember. EJ Manuel went first round, Geno Smith second round, I honestly think they would struggle to get drafted at all this year.
The NFL Thread on 16:00 - Jan 3 with 1849 viewsDavillin

Had 8" of snow on the ground overnight. Lovely! A day early to have much effect in Philadelphia, as the field should be clear by kickoff. Forecast 30% chance of snow showers this morning, but we can hope.

Freeze the N'awlins tootsies off, I say.

The NFL Thread on 19:51 - Jan 3 with 1832 viewsJonnyTheJack

Yeah the draft last year was dreadful. Was all about O-Lineman and defensive players. There's some incredible WR's coming out this year that I cant wait to see.

I can't see the Texans drafting Manziel. He's talented enough but Bridgewater is the best pure passer in the draft. Plus all the stuff that comes with Manziel and being from a Texas college.
If the Browns get Mcdaniels then I can see him landing there. He fell in love with Tebow, i'm sure he loves Manziel too.
The NFL Thread on 19:53 - Jan 3 with 1831 viewsJonnyTheJack

The NFL Thread on 16:00 - Jan 3 by Davillin

Had 8" of snow on the ground overnight. Lovely! A day early to have much effect in Philadelphia, as the field should be clear by kickoff. Forecast 30% chance of snow showers this morning, but we can hope.

Freeze the N'awlins tootsies off, I say.

Can't wait for that game Dav. What's the forecast for tomorrow?
Should be a great atmosphere because the fans will be drinking all day.
The NFL Thread on 21:17 - Jan 3 with 1826 viewsDavillin

The NFL Thread on 19:53 - Jan 3 by JonnyTheJack

Can't wait for that game Dav. What's the forecast for tomorrow?
Should be a great atmosphere because the fans will be drinking all day.

Latest for Saturday: "A mainly sunny sky. High 31F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph."

An absolutely perfect day for football!

Login to get fewer ads

The NFL Thread on 23:51 - Jan 3 with 1812 viewsjruss1

Lambeau Field today....

Just a death trap. Set to be a lot colder Sunday than when this picture was taken earlier.
The NFL Thread on 19:38 - Jan 4 with 1784 viewsC_jack

Predictions for the weekend.

Colts
Eagles
Chargers
Packers

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

The NFL Thread on 14:44 - Jan 5 with 1758 viewsDavillin

What a downer was yesterday!

Eagles should not have lost, but did. Andy Reid (whom I still like and respect) definitely should not have lost, but did.

That was almost as bad as when my two girl friends left our mènage á trois.

The NFL Thread on 14:51 - Jan 5 with 1751 viewsC_jack

The NFL Thread on 14:44 - Jan 5 by Davillin

Eagles should not have lost, but did. Andy Reid (whom I still like and respect) definitely should not have lost, but did.

KC were sitting ducks once they lost 3 offensive players, Luck still had to step up and pull it off though. Big moment for him. Andy Reid's clock management was as ever bizarre, taking a timeout after the 2 minute warning?

The NFL Thread on 21:09 - Jan 5 with 1734 viewsjruss1

Bungals do it again.
The NFL Thread on 21:11 - Jan 5 with 1732 viewsJonnyTheJack

The superior QB has won all 3 games so far. That could be Dalton's last game in Cincy. Not good enough.
The NFL Thread on 21:20 - Jan 5 with 1725 viewsjruss1

They are loaded everywhere else. I'd draft a QB and at least have a competition mid-season.
The NFL Thread on 22:07 - Jan 5 with 1716 viewsBanosswan

The NFL Thread on 14:44 - Jan 5 by Davillin

Come on now Dav, you deal in facts, the teams that lost should have lost

As an aside, happy new year and I hope that bear makes another appearance.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

The NFL Thread on 02:34 - Jan 6 with 1704 viewsDavillin

The NFL Thread on 22:07 - Jan 5 by Banosswan

Come on now Dav, you deal in facts, the teams that lost should have lost

As an aside, happy new year and I hope that bear makes another appearance.

Please not that I did not say "deserved to win," in which case your post would have been100% on. I just expressed my personal disappointment inartfully in my post.

Happy New Year to you, too.

p.s. I don't expect the bear to be back this year. I've been checking every day when I take my dogs out back [I can see the alley from the dog's run]. Something else fairly large [about the size of a large dog] went by yesterday, but the snow was 8" deep, so I couldn't identify the tracks. [Dogs are not allowed to run free any more.]

The NFL Thread on 00:51 - Jan 12 with 1670 viewsJackFish

Saints recover the onside kick, Colston makes the catch on the sideline then instead of getting himself into touch he throws the ball forward to another receiver!? They probably wouldn't have made it anyway but was a little odd!
The NFL Thread on 15:50 - Jan 12 with 1649 viewsjruss1

Fantastic performance from The Pats last night. Run game dominant, and rookie linebacker Jamie Collins is going to be a star.
The NFL Thread on 16:05 - Jan 12 with 1645 viewsDarran

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jan/12/red-hot-chili-peppers-super-bowl-ha

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The NFL Thread on 22:15 - Jan 12 with 1618 viewsNeathJack

Cam Newton could make a Premier League footballer yet with this sort of playacting!

The NFL Thread on 22:26 - Jan 12 with 1615 viewsC_jack

Wasn't really arsed about the 49'ers before tonight, but f**k CK after those shenanigans in the end zone. He's on my dislike roster.

The NFL Thread on 16:23 - Jan 13 with 1571 viewsshandyjack

Colts out due to a poor defence effort and Luck having a very bad day at the office. Gutted but will keep an eye on the rest of the seaosn

Poll: Expectation for the season

The NFL Thread on 12:11 - Jan 14 with 1528 viewsJackFish

Looking forward to two very even looking championship matches next weekend.

49ers have won all their matches since week 10, and have the best record away from home in the NFL, but did get smashed in Seattle at the start of the season.

I didn't see the Pats game this weekend but sounded like they were very impressive against the Colts. Got a feeling they can take the Broncos.

Who does everyone think will make it to the superbowl?
The NFL Thread on 13:03 - Jan 14 with 1514 viewsLe_Swans

The NFL Thread on 12:11 - Jan 14 by JackFish

Looking forward to two very even looking championship matches next weekend.

49ers have won all their matches since week 10, and have the best record away from home in the NFL, but did get smashed in Seattle at the start of the season.

I didn't see the Pats game this weekend but sounded like they were very impressive against the Colts. Got a feeling they can take the Broncos.

Who does everyone think will make it to the superbowl?

The Pats running game was outstanding against the Colts, Blount was on fire, Brady hardly threw at all, under 200 yards and no TD's (last 3 games have been his lowest 3 game average for years apparently) shows how they're adapting I guess.

I'm going for the Bronco's and Seahawks for the Super Bowl, think Peyton will turn it on (again) he needs another Super Bowl ring on his resume, he's too good to only have the one.

And though I'm a Niners fan I think the home advantage will work for the Seahawks, Kaepernick will really struggle to get his calls out and will end up running too much, not going to work against that defence, should be close though.

As a side, they mentioned on Sky Sports Saturday that a Penalty can be called for excessive noise from the crowd, anyone heard of that before?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024