Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, Tony Fernandes 10:41 - Feb 23 with 6557 viewsNW5Hoop

At what point do people start wondering if any responsibility for the crapness of our club lies with the man who owns it, who appointed our last two managers, and who sanctioned (and in some cases drove) the signings they made?

[Post edited 23 Feb 2014 10:42]
So, Tony Fernandes on 10:43 - Feb 23 with 4042 viewshoopstar67

Yeah here we go lets starting blaming the owner who has backed the managers,if he didn't back the manager then you can have a go at him. Brilliant just brilliant.
So, Tony Fernandes on 10:43 - Feb 23 with 4042 viewshoopstilidie

How many people would have been on his back if he'd sanctioned no signings?

I'd sooner have him than most of the other crap we've had to put up with in the recent and not so recent past that's for sure.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

So, Tony Fernandes on 10:44 - Feb 23 with 4032 viewsQPRDave

And like Tony the majority of fans were more than happy with both appointments at the time.....oh don't tell me you never wanted Harry in the 1st place?
Along with all the others that will come out now saying the same
So, Tony Fernandes on 10:45 - Feb 23 with 4023 viewsNW5Hoop

So, Tony Fernandes on 10:44 - Feb 23 by QPRDave

And like Tony the majority of fans were more than happy with both appointments at the time.....oh don't tell me you never wanted Harry in the 1st place?
Along with all the others that will come out now saying the same

Nope. Never wanted Redkanpp in the first place. On record as saying that.

Look, he keeps making terrible decisions. He owns the club. We keep saying he's learning from these mistakes. But he's not.
So, Tony Fernandes on 10:46 - Feb 23 with 4022 viewsbosh67

The academy needs to become the focus and a new young keen manager. That and the proper building of QPR as a brand that can earn monety without the need for us being in the Prem right now. Horrible to be commercial but we do have the right person to do that in TF and he needs to actually stop listening to everyone else and do this the way he has done other businesses.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:02 - Feb 23 with 3988 viewshoopstilidie

So, Tony Fernandes on 10:45 - Feb 23 by NW5Hoop

Nope. Never wanted Redkanpp in the first place. On record as saying that.

Look, he keeps making terrible decisions. He owns the club. We keep saying he's learning from these mistakes. But he's not.

You're also on record ( ad infinitum ) as disliking pretty much every decision that TF has or has not made since the day he rocked up so your take on him has long ago degenerated into just so much white noise for me.

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:05 - Feb 23 with 3975 viewsNeil_SI

I've said it before, I'll say it again, the buck stops with the owner, end of story.

He can rightly take responsibility for any success or failure.

Everybody is quick to jump on the players or the managers back, right now, it's the manager and his back room staff, because he picks the players, the tactics and he and his staff prepare the team. If that team doesn't perform well or to expectation, then they'll cop stick.

And rightly so.

But, who picks the manager to do this job shouldn't be absolved of any responsibility either. In our case, Mark Hughes and Harry Redknapp were hand picked by the owner. Both the wrong appointment for a club like QPR — but both fit the short term ambitions and desire of the owner.

So on one hand, well, he's picking people who fit what he wants, but he's not necessarily picking people on what the club needs. I'm not sure he really understands from a football perspective what the club needs, nor am I completely sure he knows enough about football to know how to hand pick the right person for such a job.

And he's shown so far that he doesn't have patience, he's fired Neil Warnock and Mark Hughes in a short time frame, when he was concerned the outcome wasn't going to be to his liking.

I've said elsewhere, if you took away all of the money the owners had, and they had to operate within their means and the clubs means, would you still think they are good enough for the job at hand and that needs to be done at QPR?

For me, purely from a football perspective, I think Fernandes' reign has been an absolute disaster and we've continued to regress backwards for the most part, and have not built any solid foundations or identity to work with. It's all a bit fractured, and in bits and pieces.

It's no use coming out saying you want to build a young and hungry team, and then allow the manager to spend money on players not for that cause. It's no use coming out and saying that it's a long term project and we're happy to spend a few years rebuilding in the Championship, when clearly you want to go up at the first time of asking — and have therefore let the manager do what he wants because he knows more than you (and then probably firing him if it doesn't go well).

In the summer we had a real chance to lay our cards on the table, and discuss what we wanted in terms of the direction and style at the club, but we blew it. If there was a clear difference of opinion then, there should have been a parting of ways and finding the person who would really match what you wanted.

But, I think it's all smoke and mirrors, Fernandes does and has wanted promotion at all costs, that's why we are where we are. It's convenient for him if it doesn't go wrong to say the owners have done all they can and move the blame there, and then fall back onto the young and hungry players and club story. We haven't learned many lessons.

Somewhere along the line, he needs to choose what he wants and stick to it. If he wants promotion at all costs, then just be that way. Completely. Pay over the odds, but on the right players, and become like say a mini Real Madrid. That's probably actually what he wants.

Having said all of that, we're still in the play offs, and can still win promotion in the end. It would be embarrassing however, for the money we've spent, to be pipped to first and second, especially by clubs on much lower budgets and who have operated in the correct way, like Burnley (who we took their best player in Charlie Austin and yet they've still recovered from that loss, and yet when we lose him to injury we've crumbled away).
So, Tony Fernandes on 11:12 - Feb 23 with 3948 viewshoopstilidie

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:05 - Feb 23 by Neil_SI

I've said it before, I'll say it again, the buck stops with the owner, end of story.

Everybody is quick to jump on the players or the managers back, right now, it's the manager and his back room staff, because he picks the players, the tactics and he and his staff prepare the team. If that team doesn't perform well or to expectation, then they'll cop stick.

And rightly so.

But, who picks the manager to do this job shouldn't be absolved of any responsibility either. In our case, Mark Hughes and Harry Redknapp were hand picked by the owner. Both the wrong appointment for a club like QPR — but both fit the short term ambitions and desire of the owner.

So on one hand, well, he's picking people who fit what he wants, but he's not necessarily picking people on what the club needs. I'm not sure he really understands from a football perspective what the club needs, nor am I completely sure he knows enough about football to know how to hand pick the right person for such a job.

And he's shown so far that he doesn't have patience, he's fired Neil Warnock and Mark Hughes in a short time frame, when he was concerned the outcome wasn't going to be to his liking.

I've said elsewhere, if you took away all of the money the owners had, and they had to operate within their means and the clubs means, would you still think they are good enough for the job at hand and that needs to be done at QPR?

For me, purely from a football perspective, I think Fernandes' reign has been an absolute disaster and we've continued to regress backwards for the most part, and have not built any solid foundations or identity to work with. It's all a bit fractured, and in bits and pieces.

It's no use coming out saying you want to build a young and hungry team, and then allow the manager to spend money on players not for that cause. It's no use coming out and saying that it's a long term project and we're happy to spend a few years rebuilding in the Championship, when clearly you want to go up at the first time of asking — and have therefore let the manager do what he wants because he knows more than you (and then probably firing him if it doesn't go well).

In the summer we had a real chance to lay our cards on the table, and discuss what we wanted in terms of the direction and style at the club, but we blew it. If there was a clear difference of opinion then, there should have been a parting of ways and finding the person who would really match what you wanted.

But, I think it's all smoke and mirrors, Fernandes does and has wanted promotion at all costs, that's why we are where we are. It's convenient for him if it doesn't go wrong to say the owners have done all they can and move the blame there, and then fall back onto the young and hungry players and club story. We haven't learned many lessons.

Somewhere along the line, he needs to choose what he wants and stick to it. If he wants promotion at all costs, then just be that way. Completely. Pay over the odds, but on the right players, and become like say a mini Real Madrid. That's probably actually what he wants.

Having said all of that, we're still in the play offs, and can still win promotion in the end. It would be embarrassing however, for the money we've spent, to be pipped to first and second, especially by clubs on much lower budgets and who have operated in the correct way, like Burnley (who we took their best player in Charlie Austin and yet they've still recovered from that loss, and yet when we lose him to injury we've crumbled away).

Why is TF getting flak for sacking MH and replacing him with HR?
Didn't we have a piece in the paper stating categorically that he'd been outvoted by the board as he wanted to keep MH longer term? And another piece saying that he was little more than a mouthpiece for the "real" owners of the club? He can't be both responsible for it all and not responsible for any of it can he?

Login to get fewer ads

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:13 - Feb 23 with 3941 viewsLowerloftLad

I wanted Harry I thought he would really change qpr he has not done that I'm 100% per cent that Fernandes thought I the same so you can't blame him everything Harry asked for Harry got Harry picked the side Harry picked the players it's not going right I went mental yesterday after the game it was awful it has nothing to do with Fernandes. They only thing I will give Harry is its a massive loss to have no Barton,Austin,Phillips,Simpson,Johnson,faurlin there our lots of key players missing but it's the manner in how there playing and losing that has got to the fans

Fernandes is not to Blame

Harry though very much so

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:14 - Feb 23 with 3938 viewsNW5Hoop

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:02 - Feb 23 by hoopstilidie

You're also on record ( ad infinitum ) as disliking pretty much every decision that TF has or has not made since the day he rocked up so your take on him has long ago degenerated into just so much white noise for me.

That's fine. I don't dislike him. I'm not calling for him to leave. But I refuse to be sucked into the "he is the best thing that ever happened to this club" cheerleading. I take the view that ALL football club owners are in it for their own ends, not for the best interests of the club, and so ALL football club owners should be regarded with suspicion. In the case of TF, I think if you balance his reputation against what he's achieved since taking over, any rational person (especially if you take out the comparison of him agasint previous owners) would be left wondering why he's so adored.
So, Tony Fernandes on 11:16 - Feb 23 with 3926 viewshoopstar67

And rightly so.

I normally agree with most of the stuff you say Neil but not on this occasion,regarding managers i think at the time it was a 50/50 split regarding warnock,his replacemet Hughes i seem to remember a majority were happy with his appointment and most were wanting Fernandes to sack him more quickly than he did and were moaning he was showing to much patience with him,once again Rednapp most people were pleased with including me but he has been a massive letdown, especially with team selections and the constant changing, Fernandes has done all he can as an owner and backed each manager,of course he wants promotion, it goes without saying and he is putting his money where is mouth is with players, new training ground and stadium. Yes he has made mistakes, everyone does, but i'm sorry the buck lies with the manager, coaches and players.
So, Tony Fernandes on 11:17 - Feb 23 with 3921 viewsDoughnut

Apart from pushing the Big Red Button marked 'Suicide', having a go at TF is wrong anyway! What is the problem?? Any other club, (Cardiff & Hull in particular) would be giving their right arm for a sane, mild mannered and Indulgent owner, who for the last couple of seasons has done his level best for this club. His only fault is that he picked two losers to manage the club. But before doing so, he must have thought,as I did admittedly, they were very good managers that would do the job. He got that wrong and THAT'S IT!!!
So, Tony Fernandes on 11:17 - Feb 23 with 3920 viewshoopstilidie

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:14 - Feb 23 by NW5Hoop

That's fine. I don't dislike him. I'm not calling for him to leave. But I refuse to be sucked into the "he is the best thing that ever happened to this club" cheerleading. I take the view that ALL football club owners are in it for their own ends, not for the best interests of the club, and so ALL football club owners should be regarded with suspicion. In the case of TF, I think if you balance his reputation against what he's achieved since taking over, any rational person (especially if you take out the comparison of him agasint previous owners) would be left wondering why he's so adored.

Who said there has to be "he is the best thing that ever happened to this club" cheerleading? There's a wealth of middle ground.

is he in charge? Is he just a mouthpiece? was he too quick to sack MH? Too slow? Wrong appointment? Not responsible at all as he was outvoted?
Which of these?

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:18 - Feb 23 with 3915 viewsWatford_Ranger

Owners don't generally know anything about football and therefore spend a lot of money appointing people that do, be they management on the pitch or off it. If Fernandes or the rest of the board are putting the money in, which they are, I don't see why they deserve blame for the failures of their staff.
So, Tony Fernandes on 11:21 - Feb 23 with 3905 viewshoopstar67

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:13 - Feb 23 by LowerloftLad

I wanted Harry I thought he would really change qpr he has not done that I'm 100% per cent that Fernandes thought I the same so you can't blame him everything Harry asked for Harry got Harry picked the side Harry picked the players it's not going right I went mental yesterday after the game it was awful it has nothing to do with Fernandes. They only thing I will give Harry is its a massive loss to have no Barton,Austin,Phillips,Simpson,Johnson,faurlin there our lots of key players missing but it's the manner in how there playing and losing that has got to the fans

Fernandes is not to Blame

Harry though very much so

Totally agree, also you have to remember Phillips and Faulin were not playing every game, dropping players is fine when they are out of form, but Phillips was starting to play well and then gets dropped and im sure Faulin would have been dropped again if he had one bad game.We have never played the same team twice which is part of the problem
So, Tony Fernandes on 11:21 - Feb 23 with 3901 viewsNeil_SI

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:16 - Feb 23 by hoopstar67

I normally agree with most of the stuff you say Neil but not on this occasion,regarding managers i think at the time it was a 50/50 split regarding warnock,his replacemet Hughes i seem to remember a majority were happy with his appointment and most were wanting Fernandes to sack him more quickly than he did and were moaning he was showing to much patience with him,once again Rednapp most people were pleased with including me but he has been a massive letdown, especially with team selections and the constant changing, Fernandes has done all he can as an owner and backed each manager,of course he wants promotion, it goes without saying and he is putting his money where is mouth is with players, new training ground and stadium. Yes he has made mistakes, everyone does, but i'm sorry the buck lies with the manager, coaches and players.

That's fair enough mate.

I think he had to give Hughes more time, because he picked him. He didn't pick Warnock, he inherited him. So there's a difference, sacking Hughes right away would have been an admission of failure.

For me, we'll just continue to go in swings and roundabouts with managers and players, and look, this isn't just an issue for Fernandes, it's something that started with the previous regimes before him and has carried through.

Fernandes has certainly put his money where his mouth is, no doubt about that, as did the previous owners to be fair. I just don't think they've spent well or wisely. We've got such little value for money over the years, it's incredible.
So, Tony Fernandes on 11:25 - Feb 23 with 3881 viewsTHEBUSH

Some people on here say, the buck stops with Tony Fernandes, but more or less only quote his failures.

It's alright criticising the man, but please also give him some credits.

It's easy to find faults in anyone, no one is perfect, so please state the pluses as well, otherwise, what's the point !!
So, Tony Fernandes on 11:30 - Feb 23 with 3854 viewsNeil_SI

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:17 - Feb 23 by Doughnut

Apart from pushing the Big Red Button marked 'Suicide', having a go at TF is wrong anyway! What is the problem?? Any other club, (Cardiff & Hull in particular) would be giving their right arm for a sane, mild mannered and Indulgent owner, who for the last couple of seasons has done his level best for this club. His only fault is that he picked two losers to manage the club. But before doing so, he must have thought,as I did admittedly, they were very good managers that would do the job. He got that wrong and THAT'S IT!!!

I find your views really interesting here. I see a lot of similarities between us and Cardiff and Hull, or the current owners versus our previous owners, but the PR done and the way its handled, is different and that alters perception.

Fernandes and his team are far better in that aspect, that's one of their strengths. They're good with PR and can get people on board.

But, I see no difference in their goals for what they want QPR to be say versus Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone. They're just going about it in a slightly different way. I've often likened this to say a wrestler, where one is a heel and one is a face, but both trying to achieve the same thing.

Briatore was more of "I'll do what I want" and that's that. He felt he could change everything and fans views didn't matter. Fernandes is a bit more savvy and knows he has to keep the fans on side, so he'll do more consulting but in the end, he'll still do what he wants anyway.

It's the same with Cardiff changing their kit, another Malaysian owner there... but Fernandes was straight on the PR offensive saying we're blue, even if he would have liked red, but that you just can't change it. That's smart tactics for public perception. Fair play to him, and easy PR win.

Overall I think none of those above types are really that suitable for clubs like ours. We're miles apart in terms of expectations, culture, history and heritage, and some of that doesn't really matter to them in the bigger picture in terms of making money or using football clubs as part of a more global portfolio.

But it is the way it's going, unfortunately.
So, Tony Fernandes on 11:40 - Feb 23 with 3823 viewsjointy

Totally agree I suspect Beard and Fernandes do not even know the rules in regard to how many loan players are allowed in a match day squad and if they do I think it might even make it worse!
So, Tony Fernandes on 11:40 - Feb 23 with 3821 viewsDoughnut

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:30 - Feb 23 by Neil_SI

I find your views really interesting here. I see a lot of similarities between us and Cardiff and Hull, or the current owners versus our previous owners, but the PR done and the way its handled, is different and that alters perception.

Fernandes and his team are far better in that aspect, that's one of their strengths. They're good with PR and can get people on board.

But, I see no difference in their goals for what they want QPR to be say versus Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone. They're just going about it in a slightly different way. I've often likened this to say a wrestler, where one is a heel and one is a face, but both trying to achieve the same thing.

Briatore was more of "I'll do what I want" and that's that. He felt he could change everything and fans views didn't matter. Fernandes is a bit more savvy and knows he has to keep the fans on side, so he'll do more consulting but in the end, he'll still do what he wants anyway.

It's the same with Cardiff changing their kit, another Malaysian owner there... but Fernandes was straight on the PR offensive saying we're blue, even if he would have liked red, but that you just can't change it. That's smart tactics for public perception. Fair play to him, and easy PR win.

Overall I think none of those above types are really that suitable for clubs like ours. We're miles apart in terms of expectations, culture, history and heritage, and some of that doesn't really matter to them in the bigger picture in terms of making money or using football clubs as part of a more global portfolio.

But it is the way it's going, unfortunately.

Yes of course TF has the final say, he's the man with the money. He could of course, open it up completely to the views of one-and-all on here.....and then what? Chaos...so many conflicting views, some rational....some utterly f*cking barmy. You're right about being PR savy.
I like to put myself in his shoes, at times like this...... I know what I'd do with the club.......and none of us on here would like it one bit.
So, Tony Fernandes on 11:43 - Feb 23 with 3808 viewsjointy

And rightly so.

Bang on
So, Tony Fernandes on 11:48 - Feb 23 with 3788 viewsNeil_SI

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:12 - Feb 23 by hoopstilidie

Why is TF getting flak for sacking MH and replacing him with HR?
Didn't we have a piece in the paper stating categorically that he'd been outvoted by the board as he wanted to keep MH longer term? And another piece saying that he was little more than a mouthpiece for the "real" owners of the club? He can't be both responsible for it all and not responsible for any of it can he?

It's hard to know what is and isn't fact with those paper pieces, but to me, it's irrelevant in any case.

If he is a mouthpiece for "real" owners, it makes no difference, he is the Chairman of the club.

If you are so fundamentally against something and it goes against your beliefs — then you step away and resign.

The way business works in Malaysia, it's common for people to be proxies and "faces" of a business, and I suspect Fernandes is a face in some of his other business ventures back home. I don't really think this is the case for QPR though. I could be wrong — but that doesn't alter any of my views.

Let's say he's not the real owner of QPR — why would we want something like that for a club like ours? I certainly wouldn't want to be a mouthpiece behind owners at a club — you're just putting yourself in the firing line for no good reason at all.

But overall, if he is a mouthpiece, the point still stands. I'm not even sure if it's flak, I was just commenting on the fact that the owner(s) have proved to date that they've not got the patience having fired Warnock and Hughes already.

There are many on here clamouring for another change, which would be a fourth manager in a short space of time, and for me, if that trend continues, it proves we've not quite got it right from the top, if they feel they have to keep replacing managers and players.

To me, unless we stick to a plan and the culture is correct from the top, it really doesn't matter who is the manager.
So, Tony Fernandes on 11:57 - Feb 23 with 3758 viewsNW5Hoop

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:48 - Feb 23 by Neil_SI

It's hard to know what is and isn't fact with those paper pieces, but to me, it's irrelevant in any case.

If he is a mouthpiece for "real" owners, it makes no difference, he is the Chairman of the club.

If you are so fundamentally against something and it goes against your beliefs — then you step away and resign.

The way business works in Malaysia, it's common for people to be proxies and "faces" of a business, and I suspect Fernandes is a face in some of his other business ventures back home. I don't really think this is the case for QPR though. I could be wrong — but that doesn't alter any of my views.

Let's say he's not the real owner of QPR — why would we want something like that for a club like ours? I certainly wouldn't want to be a mouthpiece behind owners at a club — you're just putting yourself in the firing line for no good reason at all.

But overall, if he is a mouthpiece, the point still stands. I'm not even sure if it's flak, I was just commenting on the fact that the owner(s) have proved to date that they've not got the patience having fired Warnock and Hughes already.

There are many on here clamouring for another change, which would be a fourth manager in a short space of time, and for me, if that trend continues, it proves we've not quite got it right from the top, if they feel they have to keep replacing managers and players.

To me, unless we stick to a plan and the culture is correct from the top, it really doesn't matter who is the manager.

The point about the culture of the club is crucial. Dave Mac's been banging on about this for ages — and he's surely been proved an awful lot more right than wrong. The culture of our club under the Fernandes era, regardless of who the manager has been, has been: if they're famous and available, sign them, regardless of age and wage demands. Now, the common thread in all those signings has been the board, not the manager. So why does everyone assume it MUST be the manager's fault we've found ourselves lumbered with so many overpaid underachievers. And even if all those signings were the managers' doing, surely it's part of the chairman's job to say no sometimes?

Yes, of course I want a chairman who'll make money available for the right signings. But I also want a chairman who'll say, "You know what, I really don't think Jermaine Jenas, Yossi Benayoun etc will add much to the team," and one who won't say, "Park Ji Sung will really help us crack the south east Asian market."
So, Tony Fernandes on 12:01 - Feb 23 with 3743 viewsNeil_SI

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:25 - Feb 23 by THEBUSH

Some people on here say, the buck stops with Tony Fernandes, but more or less only quote his failures.

It's alright criticising the man, but please also give him some credits.

It's easy to find faults in anyone, no one is perfect, so please state the pluses as well, otherwise, what's the point !!

I think he has plenty of positives, I'm just not sure he is right for football or even sport.

He's not had a great time in Formula 1 either, he's been involved there for four or five years and yet to register a single point. It's a different kettle of fish obviously... but sport is about building environments that encourage you to develop, compete and win and you need the knowhow in those sports to do so.
So, Tony Fernandes on 12:02 - Feb 23 with 3736 viewsSpiritofGregory

No one has a problem with Tony being at the club, he is a very likeable chap and he and the other shareholders have invested in our club. However that should not mask his shortcomings as a football chairman. He is very good at the corporate side it's just that he knows nothing about football, players, managers and agents. I'm sure that we are all in agreement that his transfer policy has been a failure and we recognised it early on.

It's better to pick off the gems in the lower leagues then to sign ex premier league rejects. If you don't want to waste lots of money and would rather unearth young quality players from the lower leagues, don't employ Harry. The chairman should always control the manager, the chairman should never be in awe of the manager (Hughes interviewing the club). You should always sign a manager who is producing results at their current club such as where they are in the league and what resources they've had and if they promote youth and have a track record of finding quality affordable players. They should also be delighted to join your club and see it as a step up and the same goes for the players.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024