Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, Tony Fernandes 10:41 - Feb 23 with 6561 viewsNW5Hoop

At what point do people start wondering if any responsibility for the crapness of our club lies with the man who owns it, who appointed our last two managers, and who sanctioned (and in some cases drove) the signings they made?

[Post edited 23 Feb 2014 10:42]
So, Tony Fernandes on 07:21 - Feb 24 with 1099 viewsBasingstokeR

Can I please request a future board ban or rule on the use of the vague terms "football man", "football person" or "football people" unless your stating some accompanying examples. It's like saying sack the manager without any idea of who you'd bring in, who are these "football people"; give examples (and how do you become one)?

Please don't use Dan Ashworth as an example unless you genuinely believe he's not just a rarity (given the fact he's gone straight through into the FA setup and West Brom have replaced him with their 36 year old Legal Director and Secretary and said at the time "We were never going to find a sports scientist with an academy background, who was into recruitment and was used to dealing with players and contract negotiations."). Also at the FA, Ashworth has brought in a certain familiar name as "head of talent"... was he a "football person"?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2438594/Football-Association-a
So, Tony Fernandes on 07:53 - Feb 24 with 1087 viewsdaveB

So, Tony Fernandes on 12:09 - Feb 23 by QPR442

God we really do have some idiot fans don't we?

People forget before Tony it was BE and FB and they were complete t###s!
People forget the buckets outside before the game or Ollie not having enough players or the thought (that we were very close) to folding.
People forget the years before TF came to QPR

People need to get off TF's back because he is the best thing that has happened to this club in recent history.
He has backed the managers with money, he is open, sorting out a new training ground and stadium and still people moan?

Those moaners will be the ones that don't go to games in League One/Two if we lose our owners.

Sadly these forums really bring the trolls out at times. As I said recently we really have become spoilt.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2014 12:19]

I remember the buckets we used the money to buy a player rather than pay any bills which says it all about the short term nature of the club, we moan about it but we're just as much to blame as various owners and managers.

I like Fernandes, he could be a great owner but he's not a great deal different to Flavio imo. No fans consultation on any real issue, new rules throw in to the family stand last summer which make you feel like a criminal if you dare to not take your child to a game are met with a rules are rules response when you complain.

Every on field problem we have faced has been answered by another signing, we talk of lessons learned yet haven't learnt any really. Money thrown at players who are past their best and short term loan deals show we haven't a clue about building something. If the stadium and training ground come off then great that is something that can leave a legacy at the club but overall as much as i like the bloke it's ben a complete disaster so far. There is a reason the atmosphere is so poor at games these days and it's not all to do with the football on offer, none of us really deep down identify with the club or players anymore, it's not QPR it's something else and not something to get excited about. Thats also why other fans hate us as we're not the loveable club anymore, we're Chelsea without the trophies
[Post edited 24 Feb 2014 7:54]
So, Tony Fernandes on 08:00 - Feb 24 with 1082 viewskysersosaqpr

Are you nuts? Owners have put in nearly £100m and gone with two well regarded managers (at the time they were appointed) one of who was on the brink of being England manager. I reckon we have the best owners in the country.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

So, Tony Fernandes on 08:25 - Feb 24 with 1059 viewsjohnhoop

So, Tony Fernandes on 07:53 - Feb 24 by daveB

I remember the buckets we used the money to buy a player rather than pay any bills which says it all about the short term nature of the club, we moan about it but we're just as much to blame as various owners and managers.

I like Fernandes, he could be a great owner but he's not a great deal different to Flavio imo. No fans consultation on any real issue, new rules throw in to the family stand last summer which make you feel like a criminal if you dare to not take your child to a game are met with a rules are rules response when you complain.

Every on field problem we have faced has been answered by another signing, we talk of lessons learned yet haven't learnt any really. Money thrown at players who are past their best and short term loan deals show we haven't a clue about building something. If the stadium and training ground come off then great that is something that can leave a legacy at the club but overall as much as i like the bloke it's ben a complete disaster so far. There is a reason the atmosphere is so poor at games these days and it's not all to do with the football on offer, none of us really deep down identify with the club or players anymore, it's not QPR it's something else and not something to get excited about. Thats also why other fans hate us as we're not the loveable club anymore, we're Chelsea without the trophies
[Post edited 24 Feb 2014 7:54]

We were even more like Chelsea without the trophies during the utterly odious reign of Flabio and the poison dwarf. Yet the atmosphere in the promotion season was electric and could hardly be more different to this season's apathy and rancor. It was f--- all to do with the owners. It was because unlike today we had an enthusiastic and motivated manager with a clear game plan and we played entertaining and attacking football.
So, Tony Fernandes on 08:30 - Feb 24 with 1052 viewsRS44

What a pathetic op. seriously, you need help.

A chairman who invests in his club, backs his managers, commits to the future with the new training ground and reveals plans for a new stadium that can see us compete financially in the future, yet he needs to take the blame for a run of bad results?

When he appointed HR he appointed a man with 30 years managerial experience, covering all professional divisions in the country. He's won domestic cups, domestic leagues & managed in the Champions League. How the fcuk can you blame TF for a bad run of form? He's appointed a manager 99% of people thought would do well, and barring the last few games we've done better than what any of us thought we were going to do this season. So yes, lets all blame TF

Grow up FFS
So, Tony Fernandes on 09:39 - Feb 24 with 1028 viewsPunteR

I don't want Tony Fernandes to go, I just want him to change his strategy. The first thing he should do apart from come off twitter, is to try and lose our "big spending QPR" tag. How does he do that?. Well, don't spend big!. He needs to stop making big announcements like"exciting times ahead" because it raises the expectations of fans,who, speaking for myself just want 3 points on a Saturday by committed,hardworking players.
For 15 years our focus as a club was to get back on our feet and get back to the premier league. It took a long time to achieve but we did it in style in our promotion season. The premier league was massively disappointing though and some fans on this board don't even want to go back up. The club should be buying players from the lower leagues and bringing in youth, players that,as fans we want to see achieving. The fans imo will cheer that team on,creating a better atmosphere and direction for the club.
If Brentford, Southampton,Swansea etc can build stadiums and their clubs in the lower league,so can we.
Tony Fernandes can't effect what goes on the pitch for 90 minutes but he can effect everything else. Just as an analogy, its like he's bought a house from Briatore that needs underpinning and all he's done is fitted a newer kitchen and extended out the back.
I want Fernandes to stay and for it to work out for him as he genuinely wants to do the best for everyone,he's just got to except what he's bought and sort out the foundations.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

So, Tony Fernandes on 09:49 - Feb 24 with 1018 viewsNortholt_Rs

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:30 - Feb 23 by Neil_SI

I find your views really interesting here. I see a lot of similarities between us and Cardiff and Hull, or the current owners versus our previous owners, but the PR done and the way its handled, is different and that alters perception.

Fernandes and his team are far better in that aspect, that's one of their strengths. They're good with PR and can get people on board.

But, I see no difference in their goals for what they want QPR to be say versus Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone. They're just going about it in a slightly different way. I've often likened this to say a wrestler, where one is a heel and one is a face, but both trying to achieve the same thing.

Briatore was more of "I'll do what I want" and that's that. He felt he could change everything and fans views didn't matter. Fernandes is a bit more savvy and knows he has to keep the fans on side, so he'll do more consulting but in the end, he'll still do what he wants anyway.

It's the same with Cardiff changing their kit, another Malaysian owner there... but Fernandes was straight on the PR offensive saying we're blue, even if he would have liked red, but that you just can't change it. That's smart tactics for public perception. Fair play to him, and easy PR win.

Overall I think none of those above types are really that suitable for clubs like ours. We're miles apart in terms of expectations, culture, history and heritage, and some of that doesn't really matter to them in the bigger picture in terms of making money or using football clubs as part of a more global portfolio.

But it is the way it's going, unfortunately.

"...using football clubs as part of a more global portfolio."

But plastic fans will never buy into the global brand aspirations of Fernandes, Cardiff, Hull, etc because they'll only ever 'support' clubs that win stuff... How many kids do you see in Barcelona shirts vs. Osasuna or even Atletico Madrid kit? It's a totally misguided concept.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

So, Tony Fernandes on 10:22 - Feb 24 with 991 viewsdaveB

So, Tony Fernandes on 08:00 - Feb 24 by kysersosaqpr

Are you nuts? Owners have put in nearly £100m and gone with two well regarded managers (at the time they were appointed) one of who was on the brink of being England manager. I reckon we have the best owners in the country.

best owners in the country wow, that's some statement. Why do you think they are the best?
Login to get fewer ads

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:27 - Feb 24 with 966 viewsFDC

So, Tony Fernandes on 10:45 - Feb 23 by NW5Hoop

Nope. Never wanted Redkanpp in the first place. On record as saying that.

Look, he keeps making terrible decisions. He owns the club. We keep saying he's learning from these mistakes. But he's not.

I'm with you on this one. No fan of Redknapp, but have no faith in there being any real change in philosophy should he be replaced.
So, Tony Fernandes on 11:54 - Feb 24 with 943 viewsWeaverQPR

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:27 - Feb 24 by FDC

I'm with you on this one. No fan of Redknapp, but have no faith in there being any real change in philosophy should he be replaced.

This is the problem TF has set the trend of big names.

@WeavQPR

So, Tony Fernandes on 12:36 - Feb 24 with 918 viewsR_from_afar

So, Tony Fernandes on 11:17 - Feb 23 by Doughnut

Apart from pushing the Big Red Button marked 'Suicide', having a go at TF is wrong anyway! What is the problem?? Any other club, (Cardiff & Hull in particular) would be giving their right arm for a sane, mild mannered and Indulgent owner, who for the last couple of seasons has done his level best for this club. His only fault is that he picked two losers to manage the club. But before doing so, he must have thought,as I did admittedly, they were very good managers that would do the job. He got that wrong and THAT'S IT!!!

+1 I don't remember a huge adverse reaction from the fanbase when Hughes and then Redknapp were brought in. The consensus seemed to be that like them or loathe them, they were the best qualified people for the job at the time.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

So, Tony Fernandes on 12:57 - Feb 24 with 914 viewsCiderwithRsie

Certainly Fernandes has to take some responsibility. He's ultimately in charge.

But the main thing that has gone wrong is that two successive managers have failed to build a team which either looks capable of getting into/staying in the Premier League or has much empathy with the fans, and a pile of money has been spent. That in turn is the result of appointing two highly rated candidates and giving them the financial backing they wanted. It's hardly a case of rank stupidity - he's not sold off or mortgaged QPR's assets, he's not sold our best players, he's not been trigger-happy, he's not failed to back his managers financially [even in the face of a lot of public moaning from Redknapp.] He's not tried to monkey around with the traditions of the club other than the new stadium issue.

He's also trying to invest in the long term infrastructure of the club via new training ground and stadium.

What I think he has got wrong is that I don't think he understands the ethos of the club and why we love it. Frankly if all I cared about was success I wouldn't waste my time here. The club was built on a community spirit that bound a relatively small residential area with successive teams that always felt close to the fans. A policy of developing young players, preferably from our own youth team, supplemented with some old pros who had usually been prematurely cast aside and had a point to prove, helped foster that.

A clearer idea of that would I think have warned him off both Hughes and Redknapp because even their successes have been based on a different model. He might for example have seized on the success McClaren had and the published comments of our youth teamers on this site about the benefits of his coaching, together with Redknapp's weird "sack me now" comments in close season to offer HR early retirement or a reduced role and put McClaren in charge of the side.
So, Tony Fernandes on 17:41 - Feb 24 with 873 viewsRangersAreBack

Quite happy for TF to remain on the board and concentrate on building the infrastructure - this is his forte. However football matters are not his strength; he should delegate this responsibility to someone more qualified.
So, Tony Fernandes on 19:02 - Feb 24 with 852 viewsNW5Hoop

So, Tony Fernandes on 08:30 - Feb 24 by RS44

What a pathetic op. seriously, you need help.

A chairman who invests in his club, backs his managers, commits to the future with the new training ground and reveals plans for a new stadium that can see us compete financially in the future, yet he needs to take the blame for a run of bad results?

When he appointed HR he appointed a man with 30 years managerial experience, covering all professional divisions in the country. He's won domestic cups, domestic leagues & managed in the Champions League. How the fcuk can you blame TF for a bad run of form? He's appointed a manager 99% of people thought would do well, and barring the last few games we've done better than what any of us thought we were going to do this season. So yes, lets all blame TF

Grow up FFS

OK, as I said to someone else, why when you read something you don't agree with do you have to just resort to insults - "Pathetic … you need help… Grow up FFS".

Second, it's not about blame. It's about responsibility. Part of what I say about TF is because I keep reading the unquestioning praise of him, and it just doesn't tally with what I see having happened to the club over the past two and two thirds seasons. He is not some newcomer — he's been here long enough to have actually changed things, but our strategy still seems unchanged from the first week he came in. Surely that has to be something to do with him, or at the very least something he could address? If he was going to learn from mistakes, he's had time to do so. If he was going to change the culture of the club, he's had time to do so. If he got wool pulled over his eyes in the Hughes era (and, yes, I'm one of those who's not so sure he did), then why does it seem to be happening again.

People say he's an astute businessman who's just acted naively. From my experience there aren't a lot of astute businessmen who act naively. They might get things wrong, but it's rarely out of naivety — it's usually what happens when the rest of us make mistakes: they just f*cked up. Like we all do.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024