Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies 21:38 - Jul 31 with 30468 viewsconnell10

Well we need a win so 2-1 to the R,s
[Post edited 31 Jul 21:39]

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 16:56 - Aug 3 with 3330 viewsHooping_Mad

Left it late to change it, Smyth should have been moved over to the left before he lost his temper. Colback and Field kill off our own attacks, often went back when forward was easier and tactically move advantageous. Bench looks to light again.

Plus points: Pitch looks nice, Frey did press effectively, Nardi still looks like a good find and kept the score down again. Clarke-Salter keeping fit is a plus, Dunne was solid at RB.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 16:59 - Aug 3 with 3274 viewsEsox_Lucius

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 16:53 - Aug 3 by andrew1302

You wonder if we will ever score, actually get a shot on target. defence is okay, midfield ish and up front a bit League 2. Brighton were really so much better. Quicker to the ball, quicker more accurate passing and frankly in total control. We offer zero threat which could be a big problem. Smyth has no idea when the goal looms, Frey is a tank and the rest just not worth mentioning. Lloyd is really no where near this level . Really quite worrying. Who will score a goal?

Lloyd didn't look out of place at all.

The grass is always greener.

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:00 - Aug 3 with 3220 viewsNed_Kennedys

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 16:14 - Aug 3 by derbyhoop

Errors playing out from the back. JCS slips, Colback concedes penalty in desperation.
Welbeck scores. 0-1

Dive for the penalty: Premier League class.
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:00 - Aug 3 with 3207 viewsdavman

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 16:50 - Aug 3 by loftboy

GOALS. We don’t look like we have any in the team.

This. Last season I was very, very worried. This season with no Chair, no Willock and seemingly no replacement for either, we are utterly toothless going forward. Frei and Celar look OK, but aside from the Dixon Bonner free kick, zero chances for either of them.

Anderson massively disappointing throughout Pre-Season and he is our only "creative presence" there. A central midfield of Field and Colback is hardly going to create much and the kids (Kolli and Lloyd need loans; they are nowhere near the standard to play week in week out).

...and the bench was ridiculous today. Early pre-season we put two teams out; can't manage that now even with the kids.

End of lasty season optimism tarnished somewhat. This I can see at least three teams that will be worse, but 16th now feels about right.

We're still waiting for Eze to go aren't we?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:05 - Aug 3 with 3043 viewsPindarus

Clueless in midfield, punchless and paceless in attack.
Somebody remind what Colback is for, apart from giving away penalties and getting booked.
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:06 - Aug 3 with 3018 views1BobbyHazell

I think we're all agreed that the keeper and back 4 are solid.

A lot on resting on Varane's ability to be the link between the back and the front as Colback and Field together are a tough watch if we are going to be passing from the back. Regardless of the personnel that still needs work as it has such obvious break down points and needs more receiving opportunities for the attacking players than hurtling towards their own goal line trapped by the sideline and a defender right up their arse.

Where's Chair? Could really do with a couple of young ball playing attacking mids on loan from the prem.

Anderson is a little lost, very hard for him playing with the 2 behind and Smyth as there isn't a lot of link up football in them. And he was poor and very imprecise when he did get it.

Kolli definitely promising and seems to have the ability to inter play with others.
Smyth is Smyth, we all know what we are and aren't getting with him.

Celar looks like he might have a bit of football in him.

Interesting times ahead, Chairs availability and loans are going to be key.
[Post edited 3 Aug 17:08]
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:08 - Aug 3 with 2961 viewspaulparker

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 16:21 - Aug 3 by Hooping_Mad

Warbs beat Man Utd 4-2 in a preseason.

And then got no where near the play offs despite spunking our budget on crap , it’s a friendly with a squad that still will need 4 new players

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:09 - Aug 3 with 2925 viewsNed_Kennedys

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 16:55 - Aug 3 by OakR

Well I thought we did ok, against what in reality is a much better team.

Their press was.mucj much better than most teams we will face, and it showed up at times so e of our decision making and showed where we can improve.
We clearly wanted to keep practising passing it out from the back, and it won't get much more difficult than today.

As a spectacle it wasn't up to much, but a good workout I think.

I'm still feeling confident about the season.

Defensively we did ok, going forward we were very poor.
As others have said it looks like we have gone backwards attacking wise since last season.
No goals in pre-season in the English matches isn’t a good omen.
Hopefully a few new attacking signings in early next week: Cifuentes needs them.
That will then mean we can get the likes of Lloyd and Kolli out on decent loans as they are not the answer yet.
Login to get fewer ads

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:11 - Aug 3 with 2885 viewsmart_Goblin

Hindsight is wonderful thing but perhaps playing 3 Premier league teams in 4 games where it would be relatively well known that we wouldn’t see much of the ball was a bit of an error . We look so poor on the ball and we don’t ever look forward or dare play forward .
Obviously Reading was the exception and we look just as shite.

You can see the belief drain away so now we’re seeing tiny glimpses of this time last year where players can’t make simple passes to each other .
Concerned by the body language of our more senior players too . Colback especially. He looks like someone who thinks he is a premier league footballer but deep down knows his legs have gone . Cook too. Got to be a reason he isn’t captain .
Ain’t got my glasses on so appologies if this is a mess .
A bit like our team at the moment . No cohesion or pattern of play .
Like we are just hanging on for Ilias to come back
[Post edited 3 Aug 17:18]
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:14 - Aug 3 with 2814 viewsStanisgod

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 16:14 - Aug 3 by 1BobbyHazell

All came from Field turning backwards and playing back to a partly trapped defender when we had just turned the ball over.
It's a real issue at the moment.
[Post edited 3 Aug 16:14]

Correct, there were two easy forward passes on but he just turned back which directly led to the non penalty.
Only JCS of the back 4 can play this way.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:16 - Aug 3 with 2751 viewsNed_Kennedys

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:11 - Aug 3 by mart_Goblin

Hindsight is wonderful thing but perhaps playing 3 Premier league teams in 4 games where it would be relatively well known that we wouldn’t see much of the ball was a bit of an error . We look so poor on the ball and we don’t ever look forward or dare play forward .
Obviously Reading was the exception and we look just as shite.

You can see the belief drain away so now we’re seeing tiny glimpses of this time last year where players can’t make simple passes to each other .
Concerned by the body language of our more senior players too . Colback especially. He looks like someone who thinks he is a premier league footballer but deep down knows his legs have gone . Cook too. Got to be a reason he isn’t captain .
Ain’t got my glasses on so appologies if this is a mess .
A bit like our team at the moment . No cohesion or pattern of play .
Like we are just hanging on for Ilias to come back
[Post edited 3 Aug 17:18]

Good to write off Colback and Cook before the season has even begun FFS 👍
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:17 - Aug 3 with 2739 viewsrbee

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 15:52 - Aug 3 by Hooping_Mad

To be so close to first game with no creativity is not a good look after last years poor start, love him or loathe him the boss man needs to wise up.

In an interview a few days ago Marti said tha we needed more attacking options. He will be all too aware of our limitations going forward and creating chances.
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:20 - Aug 3 with 2672 viewsSK_hoops

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:00 - Aug 3 by davman

This. Last season I was very, very worried. This season with no Chair, no Willock and seemingly no replacement for either, we are utterly toothless going forward. Frei and Celar look OK, but aside from the Dixon Bonner free kick, zero chances for either of them.

Anderson massively disappointing throughout Pre-Season and he is our only "creative presence" there. A central midfield of Field and Colback is hardly going to create much and the kids (Kolli and Lloyd need loans; they are nowhere near the standard to play week in week out).

...and the bench was ridiculous today. Early pre-season we put two teams out; can't manage that now even with the kids.

End of lasty season optimism tarnished somewhat. This I can see at least three teams that will be worse, but 16th now feels about right.

We're still waiting for Eze to go aren't we?

No Chair for next season? Have I missed something?
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:24 - Aug 3 with 2578 viewsmart_Goblin

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 16:40 - Aug 3 by Nov77

We attack our own penalty area more than they do

Oh my god . This completely

Their penalty came from Field having half of LR to look and find Lloyd wide but decided to turn back into trouble and we’re 1-0 down .

Doing my nut in
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:27 - Aug 3 with 2540 viewsrbee

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 15:49 - Aug 3 by aston_hoop

Hopefully Varane is a big upgrade on what we have. Hopefully there is someone coming in who can match Chair's creativity.

I just hope that Varane is an attack minded midfielder.

Many fans aren't bothered but Willock is going to be a huge miss. We always had Willock or Chair in the team, often both, taking us forward. Now we have neither.

From memory I think we can start next week with 8 of the 11 that beat Leeds 4-0. Begovic replaced by Nardi whilst Chair and Willock are missing. Ouch! Chair and Willock provided a goal and 3 assists in that game.
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:29 - Aug 3 with 2507 viewsrbee

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 16:25 - Aug 3 by Hooping_Mad

FWIW Frey probably isn't the answer today. Love to be wrong

Currently Frey isn't the answer if you are Desperado for a goal.
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:29 - Aug 3 with 2500 viewsSonic_Hoop

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 16:35 - Aug 3 by aston_hoop

Paul Smyth has the pace and determination of a whippet and the touch of a whippet

Laughed out loud at that.
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:35 - Aug 3 with 2374 viewsterryb

I've not seen any of the game, so I can't make any comment apart from saying that it is no surprise that we struggled to create chances.

However, imagine what West Brom fans will be feeling after losing 4-1 at Birmingham & being placed on a EFL Business Plan. Are they in the place we were 12 months ago?
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:41 - Aug 3 with 2283 viewsrbee

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 16:52 - Aug 3 by HAYESBOY

Better second half after the goal but not impressed with this fascination of playing around in our area from goal kicks.

You could say that our playing out from the back requires a little tweaking. A few passes in and around our area then we hoof it as opposed to a straight forward goal kick.

It's pre-season fellow fans. Ridiculous to be criticising player’s pre-season. Let’s save our incisive analysis until next Saturday at 5pm. Also cut our new signings plenty of slack.
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:46 - Aug 3 with 2222 viewsaston_hoop

I do think we'll have a few more coming in. Maybe a couple of midfielders, a left-back and crucially, a couple of attacking wide players. Varane should be a good midfield option. But the lack of creativity without Chair is vast and needs to be resolved before the window 'slams shut'. I am sure that is what Cifuentes means when he talks about needing attacking players too. He knows we need to replace Willock and have a Chair backup

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:48 - Aug 3 with 2197 viewsBurnleyhoop

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:06 - Aug 3 by 1BobbyHazell

I think we're all agreed that the keeper and back 4 are solid.

A lot on resting on Varane's ability to be the link between the back and the front as Colback and Field together are a tough watch if we are going to be passing from the back. Regardless of the personnel that still needs work as it has such obvious break down points and needs more receiving opportunities for the attacking players than hurtling towards their own goal line trapped by the sideline and a defender right up their arse.

Where's Chair? Could really do with a couple of young ball playing attacking mids on loan from the prem.

Anderson is a little lost, very hard for him playing with the 2 behind and Smyth as there isn't a lot of link up football in them. And he was poor and very imprecise when he did get it.

Kolli definitely promising and seems to have the ability to inter play with others.
Smyth is Smyth, we all know what we are and aren't getting with him.

Celar looks like he might have a bit of football in him.

Interesting times ahead, Chairs availability and loans are going to be key.
[Post edited 3 Aug 17:08]

Odd that Dixon-Bonner doesn’t get more starts, Field and Colback together does not work. Neither are creative and lack the ability to turn quickly a progress the ball through the transitions.

Varane, when he turns up, will need to hit the ground running, ideally in the direction of the opponents penalty box and not ours.
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:55 - Aug 3 with 2087 viewsMyke

Solid defensively but missing Chair 's drive and ability. Willock has been mentioned as a loss but I think Armstrong is an even bigger hole to replace. Barely missed on here but we certainly missed his pace and directness over the past couple of friendlies. Not prolific enough of course but at least gave oppo defences something to think about.
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 18:07 - Aug 3 with 1952 viewsrbee

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:55 - Aug 3 by Myke

Solid defensively but missing Chair 's drive and ability. Willock has been mentioned as a loss but I think Armstrong is an even bigger hole to replace. Barely missed on here but we certainly missed his pace and directness over the past couple of friendlies. Not prolific enough of course but at least gave oppo defences something to think about.

You could say the same about Smythe.

Armstrong, Smythe, Dykes and Frey all add something to the team but rarely score goals. Willock a far bigger miss for me.
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 18:09 - Aug 3 with 1929 viewsVancouverHoop

[glass half full] Frey put himself about a bit to today. If he can do that on a regular basis he'll be handy. I didn't think Kolli was that bad. Trying to fill Chair's role was a thankless task, and the through ball he provided for our best (only?) shot on goal was nicely done. [/glass half full]
Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 18:19 - Aug 3 with 1791 viewsrbee

Hove Albion V The R,s match thread.Sponser Pukka Pies on 17:20 - Aug 3 by SK_hoops

No Chair for next season? Have I missed something?

The word from the club is that Chair is out with a back injury.

I don't think it's beyond the realms to suggest that his absence is connected to his Belgian escapade.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024