Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
new stadium 22:43 - Mar 13 with 29198 viewsdigswellhoop

if Linford cristie stadium not an option do a spurs buy all properties around stadium
new stadium on 14:53 - May 2 with 3543 viewsBAWHoops

new stadium on 10:25 - May 2 by Juzzie

I have a confession to make..... on Saturday my sons youth football team did a trip to see Brentford v Forest. I went along as they needed a few parents to help out and I wanted to see the new ground. Spent most of the game glued to my phone getting updates of our game at Stoke.

It's an odd shape stadium because of the constraints of the triangular patch of ground it sits on but design aside what was clear is that a new stadium is needed to progress because you absolutely have to have facilities that can not only get people into the ground before & after the game (rather than spending money elsewhere) but can be used throughout the week and during the summer. Facilities not just for fans but for the modern game that requires palatial surroundings for the players, managers, officials, media etc.

Revamping Loftus Road won't work and due to all the regulations & requirements even if LR was demolished completely and a new ground built on the same footprint it wouldn't be more than 15-18k (depending on how many seats would be sacrificed for corporate facilities).

'Revamping Loftus Road won't work and due to all the regulations & requirements even if LR was demolished completely and a new ground built on the same footprint it wouldn't be more than 15-18k'

See, the dirty little secret is that a smaller stadium that is well built wis actually the answer

I believe that this is our only option. But you'd have to essentially knock down SAR and turn it into a 3/4 corporate area. Terrace behind the goal and make Stan Bowles a regular stand.
It can be done, but it's a very tough sell to fans

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

new stadium on 14:58 - May 2 with 3481 viewsBostonR

new stadium on 16:19 - Apr 14 by G_Ottershaw

Ok, i think we all agree that the long term future of the club relies on playing in a new facility. Unless the owners are planning to completely move the club outside of london, rename it and accrue a whole new fan base in the process (MK Dons ?), i think it is vital to our identity that we stay in the borough.

So based on the current status quo, i have listed some proposals below, i know there is currently mention of this party won't do this, the other party won't do that, but i tend to take these things with a pinch of salt. Alot of it comes down to the political and economic climate (which looking at world events, are definitely changing) and if the two parties 'have got off on the wrong foot' from the word go...
With a bit of patience and diplomacy i think you should be able to appease all of the parties involved.

I am assuming that as HF council have been quoted alot in recent discussions, that they are the owners of the LC stadium.

When i first saw this discussion, i thought they are missing a bit of a trick here, 'think bigger', we have retail parks, why not have a sports park ie have everything on the site of the existing LC stadium, ie a football stadium, an athletics track, a private sports centre ie David Lloyd type place (an additional revenue stream), smaller pitches for the local football teams etc.
Having looked on google maps at the plot of land, i guess this would not actually be achievable unless they are prepared to encroach onto the common ?

So that leads me to my second proposal; why don't the two facilities (ie LR and LC) literally swap places ?

QPR:
- build a new 20-25K stadium on the site of the LC stadium. (as it is, we seem to be haemorrhaging fans, so 20-25K should be an adequate figure)

Thames Harriers:
- move into LR and develop a more publicised/promoted athletics facility. (regional/national competitions?)
How would this be achieved ?
- dismantle the loft stand
- dismantle the Stanley Bowles stand
- dismantle the School End stand
(all of the above allowing better daylight for the surrounding properties and existing residents)
- keep the infrastructure of South Africa road stand virtually intact (ie the paddocks (outdoor seating), the catering outlets, toilets, stand seating, changing rooms, offices etc) - if necessary specific areas could be refurbished according to their intended usage.
- I would then look to install a new running track between the north east corner of the existing pitch and the south-west corner of the site.
- if additional seating is required, maybe install some temporary outside seating on the former site of the loft stand.

Some initial logistics thoughts;
- would the Thames Harriers (who i presume are the main users of the LC stadium) be prepared to relocate for the duration of the development ? could this be facilitated by something as simple as leasing some mini-buses and drivers to manage the transport concerns ?

Some finance thoughts:
- would QPR want to retain ownership of LR and lease the athletics stadium to HF council ?
- could QPR and HF council arrive at a deal whereby the two plots of land are simply exchanged, obviously if one of the plots has a much higher value than the other, this would need to be factored into the deal.
- in terms of a new QPR stadium, would it be in the club's interest to ask the fans if they would be interested in investing in the new stadium in return for a discounted season ticket (spread across seasons) once the stadium goes live ?

Additional benefits:
- both facilities get to stay in the borough
- both facilities can continue their community engagements
- a dedicated and significantly improved athletics facility may introduce new engagements for the local community
- significantly reduced disruption for the local residents of the LR stadium
- HF council could be seen to be engaging with a diversity of sports (not just football)
- if terms of HF council, if the new athletics facility did not turn out to be viable 10-15 years down the line etc..., they would still be able to retain the land for potential future social housing.

If this proposal 'has legs' and somebody considerably better educated than myself would like to redraft it and submit it to the club (more importantly the board) for a review, please feel free to do so.

If it comes down to selling LR for billions, buying another piece of land for peanuts, building a new stadium and then walking away with the difference, then i guess our time in London will be over.

If it comes down to replacing an ageing facility with a new one and treating the new stadium as an investment/asset, then i would still propose the LC site.

Thanks
Ted.

As I see it the Board have two options:

1. Stay at LR, which does not seem to be the preferred option. Having said that, I noted that LH in his recent Q&A suggested they have not fully exhausted all LR options, which was a strange comment, given previous comments on LR proposals. It reads like a "checking" exercise to me just to ensure all the LR design and development options have been thought through.
2. The use of LR as a financial mechanism to invest in a new location must be their preferred option - they have no other. The yield on LR is significant, especially if the club become a joint venture partner in developing the site. The redevelopment of the White City area is significant and is attracting high-end residential residents. My only concern is that given the clear opportunities to both side (the club and the Council) that a deal has not yet been agreed. It would appear that the stakeholder arrangement for the LCS is complex and probably not a priority to resolve at this time. At some point the club has to put a bid on the table for the LCS that all the stakeholders cannot refuse. I am surprised this has not happened. Either the owners are not interested or the two main parties cannot seek a compromise on a way forward.
Having been in RE Investment for may years, money always talks - eventually. Something is not quite right with the club re-location plans at this time.
new stadium on 15:05 - May 2 with 3457 viewsenfieldargh

new stadium on 11:23 - May 2 by Juzzie

I like the thinking above about dismantling three stands and leaving SAR in place and moving athletics there but unfortunately a 400m track won't fit, it's just too big,.

This is the LC track superimposed to the same scale on top of LR.

our athletes would be able to cut corners tho

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

new stadium on 15:14 - May 2 with 3441 viewsActonExile

I reckon we would actually try to build this without informing the people who actually own the land, could add a 'it's a knockout' steeplechase through peoples gardens.

Poll: Wherever QPR end up playing home games in the future, what is most important?

new stadium on 18:18 - May 2 with 3255 viewsE17hoop

new stadium on 10:39 - Apr 13 by dmm

Wasps are planning a new stadium somewhere along the M40 corridor
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/apr/13/wasps-plan-new-wasps-nest-stadium-

If that includes the A40 it could potentially be anywhere from the Westway to South Wales. It'll be interesting to see where it is.

This feels like Wasps are lifting their skirts and showing us their knickers. They can't survive on their own and would need help in construction.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

new stadium on 18:33 - May 2 with 3187 viewsG_Ottershaw

Dropped off this thread for a while, apologies, didn't realise how big an athletics track really is.
new stadium on 18:35 - May 2 with 3178 viewsloftboy

new stadium on 18:33 - May 2 by G_Ottershaw

Dropped off this thread for a while, apologies, didn't realise how big an athletics track really is.

It’s always been 400 metres!!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

new stadium on 18:45 - May 2 with 3123 viewsdubaistu

Weren't the fans asked to pay for signage and a lick of paint in the bogs, we haven't got a pot to pi$$ in!!
Login to get fewer ads

new stadium on 18:57 - May 2 with 3070 viewsG_Ottershaw

new stadium on 18:35 - May 2 by loftboy

If i bothered to look up the actual measurements before posting...
new stadium on 19:10 - May 2 with 3029 viewsdmm

new stadium on 18:35 - May 2 by loftboy

Wasn't it 400 yards when we were kids?
new stadium on 19:46 - May 2 with 2938 viewsswitchingcode

new stadium on 14:26 - May 2 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Dimensions

QPR pitch = 102m x 66m
World Athletics 8 lane 400m athletics track = 176.91m x 92.5m not including adequate surrounds.

I enjoy a good rebuild Loftus Road thread. With modern requirements and regulations, particularly evacuation, circulation and knee room and all the others, plus neighbour impact on those around us I would be highly sceptical about getting even a 15,000 capacity back in a complete rebuild. No matter whether we dig down, place on stilts, steal South Africa Road, or hover in the air above Loftus Road like a mothership. It isn't going to happen. It is ridiculous.

The capacity any new stadium needs to be depends on whether the club has aspirations of being in the Premier League. To sustain a PL team over time you seem to need at least 30,000 - 40,000. Big grounds get full in the good times if there is sufficient catchment population. You hang on to some of those supporters in the bad times. If we can only ever accommodate 15,000 home fans the thing will never add up. Bournemouth and Brentford can never generate enough cash to stay long in the PL these days, and nor can we.

We have to move.

If Brentford’s new stadium had double the capacity 36000 it would generate an extra 15 million a season and that’s if they filled it which they wouldn’t.This is a small percentage of the 110 million + tv money brings in ,income from gate money for most PL clubs apart from the top 6 plays a small part in their survival.
new stadium on 20:02 - May 2 with 2870 viewsCamberleyR

new stadium on 19:10 - May 2 by dmm

Wasn't it 400 yards when we were kids?

440 yds

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

new stadium on 20:51 - May 2 with 2767 viewsjoe90

I know increasing the capacity at Loftus Road is out of the question but is not possible to remove the restricted views from SAR, Loft End and Ellerslie Road?

There must be a way of removing the pillars? They’re not a sophisticated structure!
new stadium on 21:20 - May 2 with 2688 viewsCamberleyR

new stadium on 20:51 - May 2 by joe90

I know increasing the capacity at Loftus Road is out of the question but is not possible to remove the restricted views from SAR, Loft End and Ellerslie Road?

There must be a way of removing the pillars? They’re not a sophisticated structure!

They weren't even a sophisticated structure when the SAR and SBS were built in the late 60s/early 70s as cantilevered stands were in existence then most notably the North Stand at Hillsborough and the Alex Ferguson (North) Stand at Old Trafford which were both originally built for the World Cup. Putting pillars in them to support the roofs was the cheapest option.
[Post edited 2 May 2023 22:06]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

new stadium on 21:46 - May 2 with 2622 viewsjoe90

new stadium on 21:20 - May 2 by CamberleyR

They weren't even a sophisticated structure when the SAR and SBS were built in the late 60s/early 70s as cantilevered stands were in existence then most notably the North Stand at Hillsborough and the Alex Ferguson (North) Stand at Old Trafford which were both originally built for the World Cup. Putting pillars in them to support the roofs was the cheapest option.
[Post edited 2 May 2023 22:06]

Good bit of info.

I think there are things we could do to improve Loftus Road, but I imagine it’s probably not seen as a worthwhile investment.
new stadium on 08:11 - May 3 with 2366 viewsRs_Holy

new stadium on 21:46 - May 2 by joe90

Good bit of info.

I think there are things we could do to improve Loftus Road, but I imagine it’s probably not seen as a worthwhile investment.

Apologies… I’m going into broken record mode…

https://www.michaeldrain.com/project/qpr-stadium-loftus-road
new stadium on 08:38 - May 3 with 2260 viewswombat

new stadium on 08:11 - May 3 by Rs_Holy

buying the school would help with the land we have toi play with and bigger deeper double tier stands would prob increase the capacity to 22/24k but ita a big if ,

does anyone know if a feasabilty study has even been done on closing south africa road to traffic on a perm basis ?

Poll: which is your favouite foot

new stadium on 08:50 - May 3 with 2235 viewsSonofpugwash

The only practical solution seems to be shrinking the players and spectators.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

new stadium on 10:40 - May 3 with 2099 viewsLazyFan

We have to move on from Loftus Road, mentally and physically.

Also, some people forget that a new stadium is not just season tickets alone; external football events also generate a decent amount of income.

True, never as much as PL TV rights, but it's not for that alone, its for when a team is outside the Champ, then you need it as outside the PL is never enough. A new stadium also is under infrastructure (just like our training ground) and, therefore not under FFP. This also ensures the owners don't get cold feet and run off as they have sunk even more costs into us now.

We need a new stadium, that it.

zzzzzzzzzz

new stadium on 11:22 - May 3 with 2048 viewsBAWHoops

This design is pretty much my point.

Stanley Bowles & Ellerslie capacity reduced in order to put in more corporate boxes.

Fans won't like it, but it's essentially our only option.

It requires massive commitment from the owners though and proper schmoozing of the council.
Will never happen

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

new stadium on 11:28 - May 3 with 2040 viewsKerryE

The only problem with that design is that we are keeping the existing floodlights
new stadium on 12:11 - May 3 with 1941 viewsjoe90

It's a nice design but can't see us ever getting the planning permission for that, particularly the Ellerslie Road stand, just isn't enough room.

There are elements of it we could use to upgrade some of the stadium. As I mentioned, I'd explore options to remove the pillars/obstructed views.

Our most realistic option does seem to be leaving the area. Sad as it would be I really can't see us staying in W12.
new stadium on 14:04 - May 3 with 1751 viewsQPR_Jim

new stadium on 12:11 - May 3 by joe90

It's a nice design but can't see us ever getting the planning permission for that, particularly the Ellerslie Road stand, just isn't enough room.

There are elements of it we could use to upgrade some of the stadium. As I mentioned, I'd explore options to remove the pillars/obstructed views.

Our most realistic option does seem to be leaving the area. Sad as it would be I really can't see us staying in W12.

It might work if it were on the SAR stand and school end. We could rebuild the SAR and school end with reduced away capacity on the lower tier of School end accessed from ER. The boxes could then be the upper tier of School end accessed from SAR stand and entrances. If the school were to move as well you could have a big bar and catering area behind their for home fans/members and linking to the hospitality areas.
new stadium on 14:13 - May 3 with 1723 viewsClive_Anderson

If you bought the Springbok pub and demolished it and the school, completely rebuild the stadium and rotate the pitch a bit to fit better with the new space then you could get a slightly bigger stadium, but it would probably still be too small and cost a fortune to build in such a tight space.
new stadium on 14:20 - May 3 with 1698 viewsenfieldargh

new stadium on 11:28 - May 3 by KerryE

The only problem with that design is that we are keeping the existing floodlights

looks like they sent a treefella up to remove the trees growing out of the LR stand roof.

Dear Mr & Mrs Elerslie Road householder. You know that big blue structure running along your back garden fence? Well we intend to make it another 60 metres higher....ok with that?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024