Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
new stadium 22:43 - Mar 13 with 29193 viewsdigswellhoop

if Linford cristie stadium not an option do a spurs buy all properties around stadium
new stadium on 14:59 - May 3 with 3294 viewsPlanetHonneywood

new stadium on 10:40 - May 3 by LazyFan

We have to move on from Loftus Road, mentally and physically.

Also, some people forget that a new stadium is not just season tickets alone; external football events also generate a decent amount of income.

True, never as much as PL TV rights, but it's not for that alone, its for when a team is outside the Champ, then you need it as outside the PL is never enough. A new stadium also is under infrastructure (just like our training ground) and, therefore not under FFP. This also ensures the owners don't get cold feet and run off as they have sunk even more costs into us now.

We need a new stadium, that it.

Agreed.

We were going great guns for a while when it was the KPFS, and then it all seemed to unravel when we announced a return to LR.

Why don't we just: rename it; give it a lick of paint; change the floodlights, do something with the club shop, and just pretend we've rebuilt it?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

new stadium on 15:00 - May 3 with 3282 viewsSonofpugwash

new stadium on 14:20 - May 3 by enfieldargh

looks like they sent a treefella up to remove the trees growing out of the LR stand roof.

Dear Mr & Mrs Elerslie Road householder. You know that big blue structure running along your back garden fence? Well we intend to make it another 60 metres higher....ok with that?

https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/ancient+lights

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

new stadium on 15:24 - May 3 with 3209 viewsblacky200

new stadium on 15:00 - May 3 by Sonofpugwash

https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/ancient+lights

The thing is that it is not just the stadium. I think LH said before that to create revenue away from match days there needs to be sufficient space inside the ground plus secure parking very close to the ground. Unfortunately I don't think upgrading LR is a viable prospect.
new stadium on 15:36 - May 3 with 3166 viewsderbyhoop

new stadium on 21:46 - May 2 by joe90

Good bit of info.

I think there are things we could do to improve Loftus Road, but I imagine it’s probably not seen as a worthwhile investment.

Nail on head.

If removing pillars is not an option, no significant improvements are ever going to be viable.
The footprint is too small.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

new stadium on 16:49 - May 3 with 2999 viewsNorthantsHoop

new stadium on 18:18 - May 2 by E17hoop

This feels like Wasps are lifting their skirts and showing us their knickers. They can't survive on their own and would need help in construction.

Could be the way forward, a joint venture.
new stadium on 17:05 - May 3 with 2947 viewsBushman

Why can’t we just upgrade where we are ?

It’ s rarely full anyway

My main gripe is the diabolical catering otherwise obviously the legroom but we’ve lived with it for 45 years

Serious question

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

new stadium on 17:13 - May 3 with 2919 viewsDavieQPR

new stadium on 17:05 - May 3 by Bushman

It’ s rarely full anyway

My main gripe is the diabolical catering otherwise obviously the legroom but we’ve lived with it for 45 years

Serious question

Serious answer. How many times has it got to be said LR loses money a new stadium is needed, with adequate parking, to generate income from other sources.
new stadium on 17:47 - May 3 with 2877 viewsJuzzie

new stadium on 08:11 - May 3 by Rs_Holy

Apologies… I’m going into broken record mode…

https://www.michaeldrain.com/project/qpr-stadium-loftus-road

That's got to be about 6-10 years out of date by now I'd imagine?
Login to get fewer ads

new stadium on 17:53 - May 3 with 2857 viewsJuzzie

It’ s rarely full anyway

Serious question

It's not just about seating capacity. It's all the behind the scenes stuff that is so out of date/inadequate. Corporate/function facilities (matchday and non-matchday events), media facilities, changing rooms, ̶t̶r̶o̶p̶h̶y̶ ̶r̶o̶o̶m̶, manager's rooms, officials rooms, fan catering (sic), toilets, etc etc.
new stadium on 17:54 - May 3 with 2843 viewsRs_Holy

new stadium on 17:47 - May 3 by Juzzie

That's got to be about 6-10 years out of date by now I'd imagine?

Just think how good it would be now 😆👍
new stadium on 17:57 - May 3 with 2818 viewsizlingtonhoop

new stadium on 17:53 - May 3 by Juzzie

It's not just about seating capacity. It's all the behind the scenes stuff that is so out of date/inadequate. Corporate/function facilities (matchday and non-matchday events), media facilities, changing rooms, ̶t̶r̶o̶p̶h̶y̶ ̶r̶o̶o̶m̶, manager's rooms, officials rooms, fan catering (sic), toilets, etc etc.

Aw come on.
League cup. 2 Div 2. Play offs. Ibiza cup...
new stadium on 18:02 - May 3 with 2788 viewsJuzzie

new stadium on 17:57 - May 3 by izlingtonhoop

Aw come on.

Cabinet?
new stadium on 18:06 - May 3 with 2765 viewsHAMRanger

new stadium on 17:57 - May 3 by izlingtonhoop

Aw come on.

... Evening Standard Five-a-Side (x5)
I went to a few of those. They were good fun
Maybe that's the answer, we join a 5-a-side league and then don't need such a big pitch?
new stadium on 18:44 - May 3 with 2683 viewsBostonR

It’ s rarely full anyway

Serious question

If recall LH stated it costs circa £1M plus pa just to maintain the stadium and its facilities. I would imagine that a huge percentage of that figure is not planned preventive maintenance but emergency maintenance, which is crazy. We are literally throwing that money away before a ball is kicked.
A new stadium would allow the club to design a fit for purpose facility that can be fully costed on all aspects such as maintenance and running costs.
new stadium on 19:00 - May 3 with 2650 viewsLanhoop

It’ s rarely full anyway

Serious question

Maybe take the stadium tour and look closely. We know the bits we see on match day are falling apart, behind the scenes is just as bad. As much as we old guys are attached to the place we need a better stadium for so many reasons. A bit of paint isn't going to fix it.
new stadium on 20:05 - May 3 with 2516 viewsJuzzie

new stadium on 19:00 - May 3 by Lanhoop

Maybe take the stadium tour and look closely. We know the bits we see on match day are falling apart, behind the scenes is just as bad. As much as we old guys are attached to the place we need a better stadium for so many reasons. A bit of paint isn't going to fix it.

I did a stadium tour about 10 years ago and it then made me realise we can’t just talk about seating when stadium is discussed. It’s so much about all the other stuff too.
new stadium on 08:59 - May 4 with 2164 viewsSonofpugwash

I once came across a stadium where the main stand was built over the road and the traffic went underneath it in a tunnel,can't find it anywhere now.Would that be possible with the SAR?

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

new stadium on 10:07 - May 4 with 2016 viewsjoe90

new stadium on 08:59 - May 4 by Sonofpugwash

I once came across a stadium where the main stand was built over the road and the traffic went underneath it in a tunnel,can't find it anywhere now.Would that be possible with the SAR?

The old Atletico Madrid Stadium had a road under one of the stands. There's another more glamorous example in Birmingham:

new stadium on 10:18 - May 4 with 2002 viewsdaveB

what non match day revenue are they realistically going to get. Other sporting events you'd think there are bigger stadiums on our doorstep for that, parking revnue seems impossible in the area especially when you have a major car park around the corner in Westfield, renting space out for corprate events how many of them would you get.

I think it is time to consider buying that school, re build the stadium stand by stand to create a pretty nice and comfortable 18,000 capacity stadium like that lot up the road have done, we really don't need any more. The space we currently have for offices move it to the training ground
new stadium on 10:45 - May 4 with 1952 viewsClive_Anderson

new stadium on 10:18 - May 4 by daveB

what non match day revenue are they realistically going to get. Other sporting events you'd think there are bigger stadiums on our doorstep for that, parking revnue seems impossible in the area especially when you have a major car park around the corner in Westfield, renting space out for corprate events how many of them would you get.

I think it is time to consider buying that school, re build the stadium stand by stand to create a pretty nice and comfortable 18,000 capacity stadium like that lot up the road have done, we really don't need any more. The space we currently have for offices move it to the training ground

Is the school even for sale?

If you knocked everything down and moved the South Africa Road stand towards the road a little and moved the executive boxes to the corner the school was above a new School End stand, you could get a slightly bigger stadium I suppose.

With some safe standing you could probably get a 23-25k stadium overall. Is it worth it though? Would cost a fortune.
new stadium on 11:03 - May 4 with 1894 viewsizlingtonhoop

new stadium on 18:02 - May 3 by Juzzie

Cabinet?

Shelf..?
new stadium on 11:29 - May 4 with 1825 viewsMonkey_Roots

new stadium on 08:59 - May 4 by Sonofpugwash

Car bomb.

I know it’s a random out there unlikely thought, but if I had it, some nefarious actor may have it too.
new stadium on 15:10 - May 4 with 1574 viewsNewBee

new stadium on 10:25 - May 2 by Juzzie

I have a confession to make..... on Saturday my sons youth football team did a trip to see Brentford v Forest. I went along as they needed a few parents to help out and I wanted to see the new ground. Spent most of the game glued to my phone getting updates of our game at Stoke.

It's an odd shape stadium because of the constraints of the triangular patch of ground it sits on but design aside what was clear is that a new stadium is needed to progress because you absolutely have to have facilities that can not only get people into the ground before & after the game (rather than spending money elsewhere) but can be used throughout the week and during the summer. Facilities not just for fans but for the modern game that requires palatial surroundings for the players, managers, officials, media etc.

Revamping Loftus Road won't work and due to all the regulations & requirements even if LR was demolished completely and a new ground built on the same footprint it wouldn't be more than 15-18k (depending on how many seats would be sacrificed for corporate facilities).

Some background;
1. BFC had to move from GP - not only was it crumbling and a money-pit, but with all-seater required for the top two divisions, it would have had its capacity reduced to four figures in another couple of years (unless relegated to Lge One, of course);
2. The owner had a choice of building a larger stadium away from TW8 (Heathrow-way?) or a smaller one locally;
3. He chose to stay local for various reasons and in the knowledge that even in the new stadium, the club could not break even, never mind turn a profit in the Championship (or below);
4. After initial indifference, even hostility, London Borough of Hounslow was persuaded to back BFC's move (supporters fielding candidates in a local election helped greatly!);
5. Benham originally considered building extra facilities (hotel, conferencing etc) to generate non-match revenues, but then conceded that he/BFC knew nothing about running such businesses, while west London is already coming down with competitors with years of experience;
6. He could conceivably have fitted 20k into the GTech, but realised that by adding premium/hospitality features etc, 17.5k would generate more revenue than an extra 2.5k "ordinary" punters;
7. More generally, a 30-40k stadium is not absolutely essential to survive in the Prem - TV money far outstrips matchday receipts. Rather it is sound management, on- and off-the field which really counts.

What does this suggest to QPR?
1. You have to move from LR, since rebuilding it is not an option and like BFC at GP, it is increasingly holding you back;
2. You should remain in LBHF if possible;
3. Regarding No.2, if you cannot get LBHF onside - and I can't see it myself - then you should consider another more friendly Borough (see eg Barnet FC moving to London Borough of Harrow);
4. Your new stadium would not need to be that much bigger than LR, if at all, were everything else about the club to be right;
5. You don't need a site larger than the minimum required for football, since ground-sharing aside, trying to generate extra revenues from other activities is often highly risky*.

P.S. Any of your son's youth team thinking of becoming Bees fans yet?

* - BFC once bought one of the four corner pubs at GP, to avoid fans putting their drinking money into someone elses pockets. It ended up losing the club money!
[Post edited 4 May 2023 15:38]
new stadium on 15:31 - May 4 with 1521 viewsNewBee

new stadium on 21:20 - May 2 by CamberleyR

They weren't even a sophisticated structure when the SAR and SBS were built in the late 60s/early 70s as cantilevered stands were in existence then most notably the North Stand at Hillsborough and the Alex Ferguson (North) Stand at Old Trafford which were both originally built for the World Cup. Putting pillars in them to support the roofs was the cheapest option.
[Post edited 2 May 2023 22:06]

Little known piece of trivia: The first cantilver stand to be built in an English football stadium was actually in Scunthorpe United's Old Show Ground, in 1958!

It is probably not coincidental that Scunthorpe is a steel town and the stand was built by the United Steel Structural Company, which was based in South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.

Incidentally, horse racing had been building cantiliver stands in Britain since the 1930's, as had football clubs on the continent etc. But since cantilevering cost more than traditional roofing construction, football clubs in this country were too penny-pinching, and behind-the-times generally, to bother with such new-fangled ideas.
[Post edited 4 May 2023 15:39]
new stadium on 15:55 - May 4 with 1459 viewsNewBee

new stadium on 11:29 - May 4 by Monkey_Roots

Car bomb.

I know it’s a random out there unlikely thought, but if I had it, some nefarious actor may have it too.

If you've been to the new Spurs Stadium, which is contructed adjacent to, but set back from, Tottenham High Road, you may have noticed that there are metal bollards on the edge of the road/pavement, to prevent car bombs being driven right up to the stadium.

This feature was consciously incorporated into the design quite late in the day, after the Manchester Arena bombing in March 2017. (Spurs stadium opened April 2019)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024