Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Les Ferdinand — Patreon 09:07 - Feb 9 with 19874 viewsNorthernr

So.... Interview with Les, fresh off the plane from Heathrow after a scouting trip yesterday.

Tried to ask as many of the points that have come up on here as possible.

Read it here...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/59547

Everybody can listen to it on the Patreon whether subscriber or not (we've made this one a free view, it didn't feel right to paywall it given the significance of the interview and the timing, so apologies to our subscribers for that but I hope you understand)

https://www.patreon.com/LoftForWords
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 17:10 - Feb 9 with 2663 viewsNorthernr

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 17:08 - Feb 9 by Ad99

Excellent stuff, many thanks. Very happy to pay the Patreon for material like this.

LF has a thankless task, and far from an easy one. There must be a myriad of priorities and when the fist XI football is going well then I imagine the job gets slightly easier (or covers up faults).

No pressure or anything but when's the next one? ;-)

I basically get two a season from the club - I get the manager first in the summer, and then an exec during the season. They gimme that and I agree not to pester them every week
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 17:11 - Feb 9 with 2663 viewsCateLeBonR

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 16:34 - Feb 9 by PinnerPaul

See your point Brian but Brentford have no academy and being Cat 1 would only put us on a par with Fulham. Palace, West Ham and the big 3 London clubs.

Why would someone choose us over a PL academy, even if we're Cat 1?

Is it true that we would get more money if we were Cat 1 and a player gets 'poached' - is that the point?

Thanks

I think I read somewhere recently that there was a vote amongst all Premier League clubs that in future it will be a requirement of entry that a club has an academy. Think it might have been Cat 2 minimum. So Brentford will be building one.

Great interview btw Clive.
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 17:20 - Feb 9 with 2598 viewsLongsufferingR

Great stuff Clive. Can't think too many other fan sites get that sort of access to their DOF.

Unfortunately reading the responses, it seems that those who were OK with the job LF is doing now think he's doing an OK job, and those who think he is utterly useless now think he is completely and utterly useless and try to insert their own interpretations into every word he says to spin them accordingly.
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 17:29 - Feb 9 with 2546 viewsessextaxiboy

Fair play to LF for fronting up to the critics (I am a new one) and to Clive for asking some pretty pointy questions . It would have been easy to have done a puff piece.
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 17:38 - Feb 9 with 2495 viewsQPROslo

Thanks Clive. Great questions and his replies all sounded good to me.
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 17:52 - Feb 9 with 2446 viewsSimonD

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 16:52 - Feb 9 by Northernr

I should go and check but I'm tired, Simon Dorset is good on this as always. I think it's much more like any other transfer and you negotiate the transfer fee, whereas for a cat 1 to take from a cat 2 it's a set formula - how old is he + how long you had him = £3.75, ability irrelevent.

And, like I say, there are other rules regarding approaching players, scouting players, taking players on trial that are heavily skewed to a cat one. Little short of them being allowed to just walk onto your training ground, ask Kolli if he fancies a trial at West Ham, and he says yes.

No pressure then.....

As I understand it the compensation is calculated based on how long they've been in the academy of the "training club" as follows:

U9 - U11 - £3,000 per season regardless of category

U12 - U16
Cat 1 - £40,000 per season
Cat 2 - £25,000 per season
Cat 3 - £12,500 per season

I worked out for my article on this many years ago that QPR would have got £109,000 from Liverpool for Sterling if EPPP had come in a season earlier.

I think the training club also receives 5% of any transfer, possibly up to the age of 23.
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 18:20 - Feb 9 with 2357 viewsHAYESBOY

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 17:52 - Feb 9 by SimonD

No pressure then.....

As I understand it the compensation is calculated based on how long they've been in the academy of the "training club" as follows:

U9 - U11 - £3,000 per season regardless of category

U12 - U16
Cat 1 - £40,000 per season
Cat 2 - £25,000 per season
Cat 3 - £12,500 per season

I worked out for my article on this many years ago that QPR would have got £109,000 from Liverpool for Sterling if EPPP had come in a season earlier.

I think the training club also receives 5% of any transfer, possibly up to the age of 23.

Great interview. Fair play to Les for doing it as we are not in a good place at the moment on the pitch so he must of known the question would not be easy.
I find it hard to believe that the breakdown between MW and the academy was down to Covid. I understand that slagging a fellow professional in the game is not the done thing but not buying the Covid response.
Also on Willocks contract. In hearing it rather than reading it I am not too hopeful that he will sign another deal. Les's assertion that players leaving for better contracts is now less of an issue is another one I don't buy.
I am not one who will get one his back though as this is not an exact science. And he is right to say that we could have the Qatar Royal family in running the club, we are still at the mercy of FFP. Like anyone in life, people make mistakes, and IMO I think him and LH have the right intensions. I would also include the owners in that.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 18:47 - Feb 9 with 2264 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 18:20 - Feb 9 by HAYESBOY

Great interview. Fair play to Les for doing it as we are not in a good place at the moment on the pitch so he must of known the question would not be easy.
I find it hard to believe that the breakdown between MW and the academy was down to Covid. I understand that slagging a fellow professional in the game is not the done thing but not buying the Covid response.
Also on Willocks contract. In hearing it rather than reading it I am not too hopeful that he will sign another deal. Les's assertion that players leaving for better contracts is now less of an issue is another one I don't buy.
I am not one who will get one his back though as this is not an exact science. And he is right to say that we could have the Qatar Royal family in running the club, we are still at the mercy of FFP. Like anyone in life, people make mistakes, and IMO I think him and LH have the right intensions. I would also include the owners in that.

Agree about the Covid thing.

I’m Team Warburton all the way but leaving a space on the bench or putting two keepers on it is a prick move.

Could easily have said to Ramsey ‘hey, send me your best 16 year old. Probably won’t get a game but it will show the process is working’.
Login to get fewer ads

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 19:47 - Feb 9 with 2125 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 11:32 - Feb 9 by Northernr

Yeh as Brian says above, this is the silver bullet really. I did say "aren't you trying to push pis up hill running a category 2 academy surrounded by cat 1" but I didn't follow up with "so why are we spending money on this training ground without pushing for cat 1". It was an obvious follow up which I missed so apologies.

Just finished reading, and fascinating. However, the Academy lines just seemed weird.
13 players have been poached, 75% who could have played in the 1st team, so let's spend X millions on a state of the art facility, but not protect those assets by making it Cat 1. Only at QPR.

No need to apologise, hindsight and all that.
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 21:08 - Feb 9 with 1935 viewsPunteR

Very good interview Clive. Great questions and the order of them made the whole thing flow well.
I've been really critical of Les Ferdinand recently and my opinion hasn't changed after this.
It's a very difficult job. We all know that. I'm just struggling to give him a lot of sympathy these days unfortunately. Great player but his DoF role is rightly up for debate.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 21:14 - Feb 9 with 1931 viewsJPC

Clive, thanks for the brilliant interview. I read it first, then listened to it, and it can’t be easy asking so many pointed questions knowing that they may be near the knuckle for the recipient. I thought on the whole Les’ responses were pretty good, considering that it all looks a bit gloomy. I think he does a good job of describing the balancing act the board have, of reducing the wage bill by some 80% (success I think), developing the training ground and academy, but not seeing young players coming through - which I think must count as a failure for now.
I do find it interesting that some posters have said that he worries too much what the supporters think - and I agree up to a point - but I think he realises that supporters are the club and its that balancing act that’s so hard.
I felt that it was a great insight into just how hard a position we’ve been in and continue to be in with no simple solutions
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 21:25 - Feb 9 with 1905 views89_50

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 15:27 - Feb 9 by Northernr

On point 1, that £6m Willock thing was definitely a hypothetical example, not something that happened and they turned down. I thought that at the time, but when I transcribed it I saw how that read and went back and clarified and, yes, hypothetical.

Understood. Thanks for clarifying. I've listened once and read once, so more than likely heard something that pricked the ears and took it as rote.

The comments about egos and Les's assessment of the market are interesting in the context of Willock's situation.
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 22:02 - Feb 9 with 1814 viewsHeadington

Excellent questions (particularly the probing, follow up ones) and credit to Les for his frank, honest responses. Despite all the current troubles it is refreshing we can have an open dialogue like this. (The Martin signing still a bit odd to me).
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 22:36 - Feb 9 with 1710 viewsstainrods_elbow

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 18:20 - Feb 9 by HAYESBOY

The road to them (good intentions/intensions) is paved with them, as the saying goes.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 22:44 - Feb 9 with 1712 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 16:52 - Feb 9 by PinnerPaul

Thanks, that's answered my question I've just asked.

Very professional interview, easy for you if you're interviewing Blackburn's DOF, but given the emotional investment, can't have been easy!

Especially distancing yourself form the "Sign a striker" and "Willock is worth £30M" comments, which tbf to everyone here appear on social media (I'm taking that from you as I don't do social media)

Thanks again

Hi Paul,

Sorry for not answering eralier, was out for the evening.

Clive has answered since, I see. That's my understanding of things as well.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 22:48 - Feb 9 with 1681 viewsDejR_vu

Kudos to the club for agreeing the interview, hats off to Clive for not pulling any punches, and credit to LF for answering all the questions.

I agree with the point made previously that that’s unlikely to change anyone’s mind; those that don’t think LF is doing a good job, I suspect, will hear those answers and think there’s nothing new, nothing unexpected, those with a different view will probably maintain that view.

The fact is there are other clubs, similar to us, who are doing better than us, arguably starting from a weaker position than us, so it’s not impossible, it can be done. If, after 8 years, you don’t have have any answers, it’s time to move aside and let some one else have a go.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 23:08 - Feb 9 with 1618 viewsLblock

Can Danny Paddox superimpose Les’ head onto Chemical Ali’s famous denial speech as the Yanks were driving up Presidential Avenue?

I read that just now as total denial that anything they’ve done, or most worryingly, continue to do, is wrong.
Yes he appears candid but in being so he forgets himself and answers other excellently put questions totally contradicting key answers previously
For example…..
Answer A Sinclair might be a better player this season if the Head CoCh had danced to our tune.
Answer B Lyndon is out long term so we needed an over the hill 34 year old but we are sticking to the plan

Why leave it till the window was shut? Why not wait until Roberts is over his own recent mortal wounding that’ll last a week.

If his only success in his 8 year tenure is cutting the wage bill 80% and inot getting relegated then fair play. However if that’s our bar then fcuk it I’d sooner go full Rotherham and bounce up and down at this level whilst “only” losing £1.5mill a YEAR not a bleedin’ month!!!!
Avoids and deflects too much for me…. The stuff about Lootown is hilarious and reinforces we simply don’t have a clue.

The answer is to get a shrink in as he’ll get Willock back scoring worldies and the rest of them thinking the sun is still shining so we’ll be top again.
Just who signed these players with characters that fall apart like Weetabix in hot milk????

Great interview that just convinced me further the club is finished for at least another 5 to 10 years as a force

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 23:13 - Feb 9 with 1615 viewsnick_hammersmith

I think we were meant to have sold one of the CBs, like Dickie, but it fell through
It explains that signing and then the subsequent drop in form

-just a theory
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 23:37 - Feb 9 with 1572 viewsstanistheman

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 19:47 - Feb 9 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Just finished reading, and fascinating. However, the Academy lines just seemed weird.
13 players have been poached, 75% who could have played in the 1st team, so let's spend X millions on a state of the art facility, but not protect those assets by making it Cat 1. Only at QPR.

No need to apologise, hindsight and all that.

Excellent point.

No point in having a Cat 2 academy only to see your best players poached , may as well upgrade to Cat 1 or disband the whole thing.
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 23:50 - Feb 9 with 1538 viewsdistortR

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 23:37 - Feb 9 by stanistheman

Excellent point.

No point in having a Cat 2 academy only to see your best players poached , may as well upgrade to Cat 1 or disband the whole thing.

They are going to be poached if we go cat A, if we only get an extra £15k/season they've been with us.
Essentially, we need to be able to offer better facilities then we have (Under way), top coaching (?) and a pathway to the first team.
The latter is a bit catch 22 at the moment. The pathway isn't there (Villa should be paying us to bring their youngster up to speed, ffs), but then the youth aren't good enough.....
I would like to see the FA look again at the loans system, limiting the amount you can loan, in or out, would hopefully lead to a better distribution of promising youngsters around the league, and give them more game time.
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 23:51 - Feb 9 with 1530 viewsdaveB

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 23:37 - Feb 9 by stanistheman

Excellent point.

cost is the issue, costs around 2million quid a year to run a category 1 academy
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 00:18 - Feb 10 with 1481 viewsDejR_vu

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 23:51 - Feb 9 by daveB

cost is the issue, costs around 2million quid a year to run a category 1 academy

It doesn’t cost a lot less to run a Cat2.

The academy is a weird one. Investment in it doesn’t count towards P&S, yes, or have I misunderstood? And we keep being told our owners would spend more if only they could. So, if we’re a development club that keeps losing our best prospects to other clubs, and there are no restrictions on expenditure on the academy, why not spend more on the academy to protect our assets? That means we’ve more chance of generating bigger transfer fees, more money to reinvest. In other words, it’s more likely to make the model work. All in or don’t bother, surely?

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 05:57 - Feb 10 with 1330 viewsbongo_king

Great interview, with some "pwopa" questions!

I'd say its worth listening twice and trying to keep an open mind. After my 1st listen, I was pretty concerned. Felt like our DoF doesn't so much do the directing, but rather was largely directed.

2nd listen, his passion came through and I picked up better the directing / liaising role he's had in many things.

Overall, left with mixed feelings. Would say still just about more good than bad from LF on balance, but there have been some clear mistakes (the whole things about him and the board doing "due diligence" on players Beale identified stinks for me and the stuff about loans does not sit well either).
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 06:58 - Feb 10 with 1279 viewsDixie_CT

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 17:11 - Feb 9 by CateLeBonR

I think I read somewhere recently that there was a vote amongst all Premier League clubs that in future it will be a requirement of entry that a club has an academy. Think it might have been Cat 2 minimum. So Brentford will be building one.

Great interview btw Clive.

https://trainingground.guru/articles/premier-league-clubs-must-be-at-least-categ

Premier League Clubs will need at least a Cat 3 Academy so we won’t need to worry about that regulation for a while.

Also an interesting article on pre-academies rules under 5s (yes, it happens) - under 8s. Bayern Munich now start at Under 11s, bravo 🙌🏼

https://trainingground.guru/articles/premier-league-launches-pre-academy-regulat
[Post edited 10 Feb 2023 7:01]
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 08:11 - Feb 10 with 1143 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

Thanks for this Clive. Really appreciate these interviews.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024