Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Potential Capacity 10:52 - Aug 16 with 16320 viewsbudegan

Rob Phillips phone in on Saturday, a very enthusiastic Swans fan getting into a slightly heated one with Leighton about our potential. Said fan reckoned that if we had the capacity we could command an average gate of 35k, Leighton reckoned 30k.

However with only a few days to go there are still tickets available for our first home game of the season, so am I completely missing something or are they both bonkers?
Potential Capacity on 18:38 - Aug 16 with 1992 viewsStarsky

Potential Capacity on 11:49 - Aug 16 by SwaneeRiver

I know my view is tinted by my experience of selling tickets when I couldn't attend, but on quite a few occasions I've offered tickets for the to clubs (Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and others) and still struggled to sell them
I think the situation is overhyped IMO

Disagree with you totally.
The new fans will be looking to buy them from the ticket office with ease, like going to the cinema.
They probably haven't heard of SwaneeRiver. Or Planetswans for that matter.

It's just the internet, init.

Potential Capacity on 18:41 - Aug 16 with 1983 viewsStarsky

Potential Capacity on 16:28 - Aug 16 by jackjackjackjack

If you look at clubs who had similar attendances to us in the championship, circa-15,000, none of them have suddenly left up to 30,000 once they're in the premier. Crystal Palace average 24,000, and that's with the local derbies. Similar with West Brom. No need to go more than 25,000.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2016 16:31]

Middlesboro

Potential Capacity on 19:04 - Aug 16 with 1958 viewsjackjackjackjack

Potential Capacity on 18:41 - Aug 16 by Starsky

Middlesboro

Middlesbrough averaged 24,000 last season and 19,000 the season before, and around 28,000 the last time they were in the premier.

I don't believe there are 10,000 people around Swansea this weekend wishing they could go and pay to watch the Hull match.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2016 19:04]

Poll: Where will we finish in the Championship ?

Potential Capacity on 19:16 - Aug 16 with 1938 viewsskippyjack

Just listened to it.. and Leighton James gave me an headache.. about time he f*cked off to a care home ain't it?

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Potential Capacity on 19:17 - Aug 16 with 1934 viewsowainglyndwr

Potential Capacity on 19:04 - Aug 16 by jackjackjackjack

Middlesbrough averaged 24,000 last season and 19,000 the season before, and around 28,000 the last time they were in the premier.

I don't believe there are 10,000 people around Swansea this weekend wishing they could go and pay to watch the Hull match.

They way I look at this is.
Going back to the Petty days at that time if someone had said that we would be in the Premiership now with sell out crowds away from the vetch you would think that something was wrong with them.
Now 27 to 30, 000 would be fine some sell outs some not.
Just look at Burnley small town about 80, 000 population but good support.
We can build and slowly become a decent size club.
After all Swansea Population around 250, 000 and 1000s surrounding andvin West/Mid Wales amd dare I say Eastern Wales Swans
Potential Capacity on 19:37 - Aug 16 with 1910 viewsDDCH

cost is a huge factor as well as not being able to sit with your mates. Lots of people will not go and sit on their own for a lot of things. I rung the grand up for Jimmy Carr tickets but as they didn't have 2 together we said no thanks even though we could have got 2 tickets.

I always advocate get them when they are young. I was given a free ticket for my first game and was hooked, as it was nothing like the allwhites schoolboy pass for St.Helens my dad had got me.....the North Bank was a magical place to me as a 13 year old.

I used to then pay £3 to get into the northbank. My paper round use to give me £7 a week so I was happy to pay it and have some cash spare. If a concession is £20 does an average paper round pay £45 a week?

Affordability and walk up are a big thing that being at capacity rules out.

The poster formally known as DannyDyersChocolateHomunculus

Potential Capacity on 20:36 - Aug 16 with 1865 viewsAl_Bundy

not just about around Swansea !! should aim at our catchment area
[Post edited 16 Aug 2016 20:36]
Potential Capacity on 21:12 - Aug 16 with 1821 viewsWingstandwood

Potential Capacity on 20:36 - Aug 16 by Al_Bundy

not just about around Swansea !! should aim at our catchment area
[Post edited 16 Aug 2016 20:36]

That catchment area is one that many another club would be envious about!

Argus!

Login to get fewer ads

Potential Capacity on 21:23 - Aug 16 with 1806 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Potential Capacity on 19:37 - Aug 16 by DDCH

cost is a huge factor as well as not being able to sit with your mates. Lots of people will not go and sit on their own for a lot of things. I rung the grand up for Jimmy Carr tickets but as they didn't have 2 together we said no thanks even though we could have got 2 tickets.

I always advocate get them when they are young. I was given a free ticket for my first game and was hooked, as it was nothing like the allwhites schoolboy pass for St.Helens my dad had got me.....the North Bank was a magical place to me as a 13 year old.

I used to then pay £3 to get into the northbank. My paper round use to give me £7 a week so I was happy to pay it and have some cash spare. If a concession is £20 does an average paper round pay £45 a week?

Affordability and walk up are a big thing that being at capacity rules out.

Exactly. With the right incentives we can grow our fanbase significantly. Gate revenue isn't an important fctor in the premier league so £10 tickets for kids and pensioners £ 15 for students and all of a sudden we're selling out 28,000 on a regular basis.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Potential Capacity on 21:25 - Aug 16 with 1804 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Potential Capacity on 21:12 - Aug 16 by Wingstandwood

That catchment area is one that many another club would be envious about!

Look at Burnley's catchment area. Three huge and one very large club within a 20 mile radius. They manage quite well.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Potential Capacity on 22:40 - Aug 16 with 1758 viewsSwaneeRiver

Potential Capacity on 17:35 - Aug 16 by hobo

So how do we manage to cope by holding massive concerts there?

We don't - remember the aftermath of the recent concert held there ?
Potential Capacity on 01:00 - Aug 17 with 1710 viewsSlugster664

Potential Capacity on 17:35 - Aug 16 by hobo

So how do we manage to cope by holding massive concerts there?

They don't! It is absolute carnage, embarrassing for our city.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being negative about expanding to say 30k or so, I just think our council are not capable to provide sufficient transport links/surrounding area walkways.

The whole road system needs to be changed, it really is shit imo
[Post edited 17 Aug 2016 1:09]

STID

Potential Capacity on 03:11 - Aug 17 with 1687 viewsGlyn1

I don't believe there are 10,000 either, but there are probably a couple of thousand who would like to see the match.

Look, what's the worst that could happen - we might expand the stadium to 30,000 and get absolutely no increase in attendance at all - but no-one believes that that would happen. Even if it did, it wouldn't be a crippling financial load on the club.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Potential Capacity on 06:57 - Aug 17 with 1659 viewsSwaneeRiver

Potential Capacity on 03:11 - Aug 17 by Glyn1

I don't believe there are 10,000 either, but there are probably a couple of thousand who would like to see the match.

Look, what's the worst that could happen - we might expand the stadium to 30,000 and get absolutely no increase in attendance at all - but no-one believes that that would happen. Even if it did, it wouldn't be a crippling financial load on the club.

Bottom line is, the new owners are looking at the financial bottom line.
The expansion would cost many millions, which would take years to be repaid by gate receipts. There is no benefit financially in it going ahead for them, thus IMO why they returned the deposits.
All adds up to no expansion - at least in the near future unless TV revenue drops off and getting fans through the gate becomes more of a lifeblood again
Potential Capacity on 08:34 - Aug 17 with 1630 viewsStarsky

Potential Capacity on 06:57 - Aug 17 by SwaneeRiver

Bottom line is, the new owners are looking at the financial bottom line.
The expansion would cost many millions, which would take years to be repaid by gate receipts. There is no benefit financially in it going ahead for them, thus IMO why they returned the deposits.
All adds up to no expansion - at least in the near future unless TV revenue drops off and getting fans through the gate becomes more of a lifeblood again

I assume by your postings on this and in previous postings that you don't want the expansion.
If you and others can't see that we need the expansion so the club can grow in stature and stop another generation of potential fans from missing out, then we're always gonna be a stepping stone for some of our players wanting to play for a bigger club.

As said earlier, who would have thought we'd be virtually sold out for every league game in these Premier years? It certainly didn't happen during the First Division years in the early 80s.

Potential Capacity on 08:53 - Aug 17 with 1623 viewsLandore_Jack

Potential Capacity on 01:00 - Aug 17 by Slugster664

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being negative about expanding to say 30k or so, I just think our council are not capable to provide sufficient transport links/surrounding area walkways.

There was chaos with the taxis at the Lionel Richie concert. The council are useless.

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/lionel-richie-fans-cause-thousands-of-po

#backtojack

Potential Capacity on 09:05 - Aug 17 with 1606 viewsraynor94

Potential Capacity on 01:00 - Aug 17 by Slugster664

Of course the road system needs to be changed, when the Morfa was built nobody envisaged it having to cope with crowds of 30.000, the area just can't handle it, open up Landore halt, it would go a long way to alleviating the problems

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Potential Capacity on 09:15 - Aug 17 with 1586 viewsjasper_T

Potential Capacity on 08:34 - Aug 17 by Starsky

I assume by your postings on this and in previous postings that you don't want the expansion.
If you and others can't see that we need the expansion so the club can grow in stature and stop another generation of potential fans from missing out, then we're always gonna be a stepping stone for some of our players wanting to play for a bigger club.

As said earlier, who would have thought we'd be virtually sold out for every league game in these Premier years? It certainly didn't happen during the First Division years in the early 80s.

Stadium size doesn't matter to the new generation of fans. Swansea are a top flight club. The kids that in previous decades were becoming Liverpool and United fans without ever going to Old Trafford or Anfield, are now wearing Swansea shirts around town. They watch every game on tv or online.

We don't "need" expansion at all, and it certainly wouldn't stop us being a stepping stone club (plenty of 30k+ clubs are just that).
Potential Capacity on 10:14 - Aug 17 with 1555 viewsPrivate_Partz

Potential Capacity on 09:15 - Aug 17 by jasper_T

Stadium size doesn't matter to the new generation of fans. Swansea are a top flight club. The kids that in previous decades were becoming Liverpool and United fans without ever going to Old Trafford or Anfield, are now wearing Swansea shirts around town. They watch every game on tv or online.

We don't "need" expansion at all, and it certainly wouldn't stop us being a stepping stone club (plenty of 30k+ clubs are just that).

I really don't get your argument. If you follow it to the nth degree we might as well close all the grounds and sit in front of our tellies and computers. The match day experience plays a much greater part in people's lives than you think.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Potential Capacity on 10:43 - Aug 17 with 1532 viewsSwaneeRiver

Potential Capacity on 08:34 - Aug 17 by Starsky

On the contrary. I was looking forward to the opportunity to buying seats in the middle of the new improved and enlarged Upper East Stand.
If it happens, I'll certainly buy two there, as by the time it happens my boy will be working and earning a decent wage (he's nearly 15 now), so he can pay for his own Adult ST.
Works out cheaper for me - win win situation ...
In all seriousness I wanted the expansion to go ahead and still do. The opportunity for friends and family to see us in the top flight would be great, and to build the fanbase is where we need to go.
However, I am guessing the new owners are doing the "math" and saying " 5000 extra seats = £3.3 million per season. An expansion will cost (?) £30 million. Therefore it would take a minimum of 10 years to get the money back" (excluding beverage sales, etc)
Of course that's if they all sold at £35 per seat. Reality is, the majority would be ST's, of which many would be concessions, as would a portion of matchday ticket sales.
I am not against it, but just playing devil's advocate
[Post edited 17 Aug 2016 10:54]
Potential Capacity on 10:48 - Aug 17 with 1528 viewsjasper_T

Potential Capacity on 10:14 - Aug 17 by Private_Partz

I really don't get your argument. If you follow it to the nth degree we might as well close all the grounds and sit in front of our tellies and computers. The match day experience plays a much greater part in people's lives than you think.

Match days are great. But the club isn't losing out on a generation of fans by not having thousands of empty seats waiting for them to buy tickets "like they're going to the cinema". Tickets aren't that hard to come by if you're not picky (and come to see Swansea, not the team Swansea are playing), and football at the top level is more accessible than ever before to the armchair fan. Kids down the park are already wearing Swansea shirts while they run rings around their fat dads in stretched and faded United tops.

The hand-wringing over only having 20k stadium capacity is over the top. Expansion is far from necessary and a lot of factors that are out of the club's hands make it a less than ideal proposition (transport links, ownership issues etc.).

The most important factor to the continued growth of the club is investment in the playing staff. If the new owners were Saudi billionaires then expand by all means, but with limited funds its obvious to me where the priorities should be. Drop into the Championship and we won't fill the stadium we have.
Potential Capacity on 12:42 - Aug 17 with 1483 viewsStarsky

Potential Capacity on 10:48 - Aug 17 by jasper_T

Match days are great. But the club isn't losing out on a generation of fans by not having thousands of empty seats waiting for them to buy tickets "like they're going to the cinema". Tickets aren't that hard to come by if you're not picky (and come to see Swansea, not the team Swansea are playing), and football at the top level is more accessible than ever before to the armchair fan. Kids down the park are already wearing Swansea shirts while they run rings around their fat dads in stretched and faded United tops.

The hand-wringing over only having 20k stadium capacity is over the top. Expansion is far from necessary and a lot of factors that are out of the club's hands make it a less than ideal proposition (transport links, ownership issues etc.).

The most important factor to the continued growth of the club is investment in the playing staff. If the new owners were Saudi billionaires then expand by all means, but with limited funds its obvious to me where the priorities should be. Drop into the Championship and we won't fill the stadium we have.

Disagree totally

Potential Capacity on 13:02 - Aug 17 with 1457 viewsgiantstoneater

Will the experiment on safe standing areas have an impact on capacity or is the Premier committed to all seater stadiums?
Potential Capacity on 13:55 - Aug 17 with 1423 viewsairedale

Potential Capacity on 13:02 - Aug 17 by giantstoneater

Will the experiment on safe standing areas have an impact on capacity or is the Premier committed to all seater stadiums?

Hopefully the experiment will be a success, and they can eradicate unsafe standing.

Apparently the stadium capacity goes up with the introduction of safe standing too.

Anyone know where they are going to trial it?
[Post edited 17 Aug 2016 13:57]
Potential Capacity on 14:14 - Aug 17 with 1400 viewsjasper_T

Potential Capacity on 12:42 - Aug 17 by Starsky

Disagree totally

And I'm the one accused of being negative.

Cheer up, things are fine.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024