Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Young lad in the east stand 11:56 - Aug 31 with 20483 viewsBenJ94

Saw a young lad leaving the east stand yesterday after the game in a full Manchester United kit. I suppose you can only the parents. If I were a steward, I'd have stopped them from going in.
Young lad in the east stand on 11:28 - Sep 1 with 1844 viewsRichythejack

Young lad in the east stand on 11:06 - Sep 1 by perchrockjack

richy has a point but its a fair question as to why so many still are obsessed with the "big " clubs in south WALES.

Kids should be looking to support their local club.

NO scouse/Geordie kid, for example, would be seen dead in a manure arse Chelsea shirt and Swansea City has much work to do yet .

As for rugby interest, why is the support for the Ospreys so appalling

I think until Wales as a nation become a true football country then this will never happen.

Excited to see if Wales qualify for the Euro's and put a good run togehter in the tournament what will happen to Wales as a nation. We are still a massively focused nation in terms of Rugby from grass roots to national level.

Poll: Should Darran be banned from the forums?

Young lad in the east stand on 11:52 - Sep 1 with 1814 viewsperchrockjack

But its not our national game many will opine, which is crap of course.

MENTALLY, the nation, as a whole, is Rugby.

The fact that crowds ,apart from internationals, are modest doesn't detract from this simple fact.

WE are seen as a rugby country

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Young lad in the east stand on 12:35 - Sep 1 with 1782 viewsDewi1jack

Young lad in the east stand on 11:52 - Sep 1 by perchrockjack

The fact that crowds ,apart from internationals, are modest doesn't detract from this simple fact.

I'm disagreeing with you Perchie.
I think there are more people watching and playing football in Wales than there are watching and playing Rugby

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18904719

"The Football Association of Wales says about 100,000 (80,000 registered) play football, compared to the Welsh Rugby Union's estimate of over 45,000 registered rugby players."

Add in parents/ grandparents/ friends watching kids football to all the clubs playing in whatever league and that figure hammers week in week out, how many watch even the biggest rugby games.
Judgment weekend 4 regional, supposedly the biggest and the best clubs playing their main rivals attendance of 55,000 with tickets at about £10 for the weekend
When Carduff were in the PL (fleeting visit, blink you missed it!!) between us and them we got an average of over 47,000 with tickets at around £35 in sold out venues
Or to make a fair comparison between Rugby and the 2 main Welsh football teams (in a similar sized venue), with tickets starting at about £40 + travel to London, take over 70,000 to Wemberlee against 55,000 travelling to the Millennium and paying a tenner.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Young lad in the east stand on 12:44 - Sep 1 with 1768 viewsDr_Winston

Have a stroll round any Park or sports field in Wales, count the number of people playing football as opposed to rugby and then come back with this nonsense.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Young lad in the east stand on 12:50 - Sep 1 with 1753 viewsMillJack

Young lad in the east stand on 12:44 - Sep 1 by Dr_Winston

Have a stroll round any Park or sports field in Wales, count the number of people playing football as opposed to rugby and then come back with this nonsense.

In Perch's defence I think he was trying to say that despite it regularly being trotted out that Wales national sport is rugby it is, in fact, complete b0ll0cks.
Young lad in the east stand on 12:51 - Sep 1 with 1747 viewsWhiterockin

Young lad in the east stand on 12:44 - Sep 1 by Dr_Winston

Exactly. Look at Ashleigh Road playing fields now compared to 10 years ago. The number of football pitches far outnumber rugby. It is a similar story all over Swansea.
Young lad in the east stand on 12:52 - Sep 1 with 1738 viewsjack247

You haven't grasped this yet.

Rugby is not our national game. It may be perceived that way by people in other countries, but that couldn't be less relevant. We don't all shag sheep, sing in choirs or work down the coal mines either.

What is relevant is that people in Wales choose to watch and play football in far greater numbers. Yes, the 6 nations and Autumn Internationals sell out and pack pubs, but where are those people the other 40-odd weeks of the year. Not many of them are watching the Ospreys or playing for their local club.

Ospreys play in the equivalent of the Champions League every season and our attendances when we were in League one were better than they get now. I accept their games are almost all televised, but being on Sky doesn't have much affect on how many turn up to our games.

It is people in Wales and what they choose every week, rather than people in other countries, or people with pink cowboy hats on a couple of times a year that determine our national game.

And I'm saying this as someone who enjoys rugby, just not when the Swans are playing.
Young lad in the east stand on 12:56 - Sep 1 with 1706 viewsTrundle10

Young lad in the east stand on 12:52 - Sep 1 by jack247

You haven't grasped this yet.

Rugby is not our national game. It may be perceived that way by people in other countries, but that couldn't be less relevant. We don't all shag sheep, sing in choirs or work down the coal mines either.

What is relevant is that people in Wales choose to watch and play football in far greater numbers. Yes, the 6 nations and Autumn Internationals sell out and pack pubs, but where are those people the other 40-odd weeks of the year. Not many of them are watching the Ospreys or playing for their local club.

Ospreys play in the equivalent of the Champions League every season and our attendances when we were in League one were better than they get now. I accept their games are almost all televised, but being on Sky doesn't have much affect on how many turn up to our games.

It is people in Wales and what they choose every week, rather than people in other countries, or people with pink cowboy hats on a couple of times a year that determine our national game.

And I'm saying this as someone who enjoys rugby, just not when the Swans are playing.

The Wales Rugby team is far more popular than the Wales football team for starters. Rugby is much bigger accross Wales in my opinion.
Login to get fewer ads

Young lad in the east stand on 12:56 - Sep 1 with 1705 viewsDr_Winston

Can't remember many of our attendances being affected by live coverage even before we got to the Prem, never mind now.

It's a lame excuse and always have been. If people truly cared they'd be there in person.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Young lad in the east stand on 12:59 - Sep 1 with 1680 viewsjack247

Young lad in the east stand on 12:56 - Sep 1 by Trundle10

The Wales Rugby team is far more popular than the Wales football team for starters. Rugby is much bigger accross Wales in my opinion.

Everyone loves the rugby as a day out, including me. Obviously there are die hard rugby fans, but there arent that many of them. You can't really class people who only watch internationals as true fans.
Young lad in the east stand on 13:02 - Sep 1 with 1664 viewsTrundle10

Young lad in the east stand on 12:59 - Sep 1 by jack247

Everyone loves the rugby as a day out, including me. Obviously there are die hard rugby fans, but there arent that many of them. You can't really class people who only watch internationals as true fans.

I prefer football but it is not in the Welsh public phsyche the way Rugby is. Anyone who claims Wales football is more popular than Wales rugby is a lunatic.
Young lad in the east stand on 13:04 - Sep 1 with 1645 viewsjack247

Young lad in the east stand on 13:02 - Sep 1 by Trundle10

I prefer football but it is not in the Welsh public phsyche the way Rugby is. Anyone who claims Wales football is more popular than Wales rugby is a lunatic.

You are mixing up being a supporter and enjoying a day out.

I agree that its a common perception, in Wales as well as internationally, but you don't have to look very hard to realise its an incorrect one.
Young lad in the east stand on 13:07 - Sep 1 with 1638 viewsjack247

As an aside to the rugby debate and perhaps closer to the original point, we obviously do have a lot of Man U and Liverpool supporters living here, but we have a lot more local support than most places.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3048791/Liverpool-rule-UK-Arse

The areas in black on the map are the areas where there are more supporters of the local team than any other.
Young lad in the east stand on 13:09 - Sep 1 with 1628 viewsDr_Winston

Young lad in the east stand on 12:56 - Sep 1 by Trundle10

How many people play Rugby in North Wales?

Young lad in the east stand on 13:18 - Sep 1 with 1607 viewsjack247

Young lad in the east stand on 13:09 - Sep 1 by Dr_Winston

About four I think
Young lad in the east stand on 13:22 - Sep 1 with 1597 viewsyescomeon

I thought no-one but I was wrong.

Upthecity!

Young lad in the east stand on 13:23 - Sep 1 with 1592 viewsJBT95

Young lad in the east stand on 13:02 - Sep 1 by Trundle10

Are you on drugs or something?

Just because Wales rugby sell the Millennium Stadium out in the Sicks nations and against New Zealand does not mean this is a rugby country.

No rugby region gets more than 10k average attendance. Ourselves and Cardiff have had 20k+ the last number of seasons.

Attendance for the international football team dropped because of a lack of quality players and due to the fact games are Tuesday night etc. Plus Wales face better opposition and often would get beat, times are changing though.

Rugby internationals are either at 1430/ 1730 Saturday or a Friday night. AKA when most people wanna go out on the razz.

Rugby is a social event and not a sporting event. It's utter crap to watch, why would a 15 year old girl be interested in that crap.
Young lad in the east stand on 13:26 - Sep 1 with 1583 viewsMillJack

Despite the general opinion that rugby isn't particularly popular in the north of the country I can tell you that it simply isn't true.

Rugby at grassroots level is very, very popular at junior & youth level and there are some excellent clubs in those areas, Wrexham, Rhyl, Colwyn Bay and Caernarfon to name just a few.

The area now has it's own region (RGC1404) who they WRU are slowly trying to improve, a little like Connacht in Ireland. They're home ground of Eirias Park is the home of Wales U20's team and Rupert Moon is doing some fantastic work in that area to improve the region.
Young lad in the east stand on 13:32 - Sep 1 with 1565 viewsDewi1jack

Young lad in the east stand on 12:56 - Sep 1 by Dr_Winston

Can't remember many of our attendances being affected by live coverage even before we got to the Prem, never mind now.

It's a lame excuse and always have been. If people truly cared they'd be there in person.

If I remember right, think we played Newcastle (????) in the Championship when the eggs were playing Argentina(????) and even though the barcodes didn't bring many, our crowd figure wasn't far down on the average.
Think this was the 1st time we'd gone head to head with a Wales home rugby international.
Now it's a regular occurrence with not many empty seats in our place.

Love seeing the International fans on TV (pissed up women, with daffodil faces who have absolutely no idea of rugby rules. S'pose I can include most of the blokes in that statement as well )
Embarrassing is just such an understatement to use. The word just doesn't cover it.
That and according to the figures, domestic violence has a major increase when Wales play rugby

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Young lad in the east stand on 13:35 - Sep 1 with 1563 viewsDr_Winston

Young lad in the east stand on 13:26 - Sep 1 by MillJack

Despite the general opinion that rugby isn't particularly popular in the north of the country I can tell you that it simply isn't true.

Rugby at grassroots level is very, very popular at junior & youth level and there are some excellent clubs in those areas, Wrexham, Rhyl, Colwyn Bay and Caernarfon to name just a few.

The area now has it's own region (RGC1404) who they WRU are slowly trying to improve, a little like Connacht in Ireland. They're home ground of Eirias Park is the home of Wales U20's team and Rupert Moon is doing some fantastic work in that area to improve the region.

I don't doubt that there's a few North Walians into it, but it's far fewer than play/watch/support football.

Young lad in the east stand on 13:42 - Sep 1 with 1539 viewsjack247

Young lad in the east stand on 13:32 - Sep 1 by Dewi1jack

If I remember right, think we played Newcastle (????) in the Championship when the eggs were playing Argentina(????) and even though the barcodes didn't bring many, our crowd figure wasn't far down on the average.
Think this was the 1st time we'd gone head to head with a Wales home rugby international.

Love seeing the International fans on TV (pissed up women, with daffodil faces who have absolutely no idea of rugby rules. S'pose I can include most of the blokes in that statement as well )
Embarrassing is just such an understatement to use. The word just doesn't cover it.
That and according to the figures, domestic violence has a major increase when Wales play rugby

When we were in League one, we used to rearrange games to avoid clashes with the 6 nations, as we were reliant on floating fans as well as the hardcore support back then and many floating fans, quite understandably, chose to watch the rugby.

Im not sure when we decided not to bother, may have been the Prem, but I think it was in the Championship.
Young lad in the east stand on 14:13 - Sep 1 with 1514 viewsJackUlation

Young lad in the east stand on 12:08 - Aug 31 by Uxbridge

A nasty incident around a kid wearing an opposition top?

How utterly depressing.

Problem was, His father was wearing a man u top as well as the kid
Young lad in the east stand on 14:16 - Sep 1 with 1508 viewsjackonicko

Young lad in the east stand on 13:32 - Sep 1 by Dewi1jack

There are rules in rugby???

I thought the ref just randomly blew the whistle, said something vague about "offside" and then decided if he could be bothered to set up a scrum. If he couldn't be bothered, it was a penalty kick.

You mean there's more than that?
Young lad in the east stand on 14:18 - Sep 1 with 1494 viewsperchrockjack

Again prejudice taking over.
Figures are meaningless in this debate because what we are talking about is "national game" which can be defined in a broader context to mean how WALES is perceived by other countries sports wise.

Its unpalatable yto those who were forced to play rugby at school but it really is as how others see us.

ASK a foreigner next time.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Young lad in the east stand on 14:18 - Sep 1 with 1499 viewsJackUlation

Young lad in the east stand on 13:37 - Aug 31 by Oldjack

Talking about young lads : hopefully his class mates will put him right

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/wayne-rooney-swansea-

At the end of the Video Ash sorted him quietly lol

http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/23/video/2590372/watch-mascot-mesm
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024