Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the lock down ending too soon? 04:59 - Jul 1 with 142847 viewsGlyn1

That's basically it.

Thoughts please.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2020 5:00]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:23 - Aug 27 with 1447 viewsmajorraglan

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 13:14 - Aug 27 by felixstowe_jack

Good to see the EU trade commissioner has resigned after flying to Ireland from Belgium then attending a golf dinner completely ignoring the Irish Republic's 14 day quarantine period. When are these unelected bureaucrats that the laws apply to them.

At least he had the decency to resign unlike some who perceive themselves to be above the law.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:44 - Aug 27 with 1435 viewsKilkennyjack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 13:14 - Aug 27 by felixstowe_jack

Good to see the EU trade commissioner has resigned after flying to Ireland from Belgium then attending a golf dinner completely ignoring the Irish Republic's 14 day quarantine period. When are these unelected bureaucrats that the laws apply to them.

Ask Classic Dom, the dodgy eye test driver ....

Beware of the Risen People

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:51 - Aug 27 with 1405 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:23 - Aug 27 by majorraglan

At least he had the decency to resign unlike some who perceive themselves to be above the law.

Nobody is about the law.
There is a difference between laws and rules though.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:39 - Aug 27 with 1409 viewsAndy1300

What she is saying is true

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:46 - Aug 28 with 1310 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:39 - Aug 27 by Andy1300

Part of it is true BECAUSE of lock down. The move our of lock down is a balancing act but it has to be made in as safe way as possible.

She also says that this Covid is not the flu and people die a horrible death as a result of it.

Her comparison to announcing deaths from cancer is stupid.

I do think that you are better off listening to this alcoholic daytime TV presenter than Darren Of Plymouth on twitter though.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 15:35 - Aug 28 with 1261 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:39 - Aug 27 by Andy1300

Yesterday there were 1522 new cases in the UK. The highest daily reported figure since 12 June. Of those 35 in Wales and under a hundred in Scotland. Nearly 2 and 1/2 times the amount in England it is in Wales which in itself has doubled since pubs and gyms have been opened as suggested by some on here. It was less than 1/2 that 4 weeks ago when Johnson felt it was unwise to unlock things but now when it is supposedly under control he opens more things up yet the numbers have gone up from 1000 to 1500 in the last week or so. I dont know how even Scotia sees cases going form 600 to 1500 as being under control.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 15:42 - Aug 28 with 1236 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 15:35 - Aug 28 by exhmrc1

Yesterday there were 1522 new cases in the UK. The highest daily reported figure since 12 June. Of those 35 in Wales and under a hundred in Scotland. Nearly 2 and 1/2 times the amount in England it is in Wales which in itself has doubled since pubs and gyms have been opened as suggested by some on here. It was less than 1/2 that 4 weeks ago when Johnson felt it was unwise to unlock things but now when it is supposedly under control he opens more things up yet the numbers have gone up from 1000 to 1500 in the last week or so. I dont know how even Scotia sees cases going form 600 to 1500 as being under control.

We cant stay in lockdown for ever. We will have to live with a few thousand case a week and 100 deaths per week. Far less than the annual flu deaths.
Unless the economy gets going the system will have no money to keep it open.
Track and trace and intensive testing in spike areas plus the all too familiar outbreaks in meat factories.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 15:55 - Aug 28 with 1252 viewsProfessor

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 15:42 - Aug 28 by felixstowe_jack

We cant stay in lockdown for ever. We will have to live with a few thousand case a week and 100 deaths per week. Far less than the annual flu deaths.
Unless the economy gets going the system will have no money to keep it open.
Track and trace and intensive testing in spike areas plus the all too familiar outbreaks in meat factories.

Sorry FJ-that's 52, 000 deaths a year. About four times higher than flu deaths. (PLEASE SEE CORRECTION BELOW_SORRY FJ!)

The cases that are rising are mainly in younger people and of lower severity. The danger, is as is happening in the US, the cases move into older and more vulnerable populations-partly the reason deaths have carried on at a high level when cases are falling in Florida for example.

We have big challenges ahead- we honestly don't know the effect of secondary schools re-opening (it is all speculation on both sides) and then later students on campus at universities. I am afraid we may have to sacrifice pubs for schools. Track and trace still needs improvement, and a sudden change of tack to discourage home working is also a bit ill-thought through. We are looking to be at least 80% WFH for another year for academic, and huge restrictions on researchers (apart from Covid priority work). We are going to have limitations for at least another year.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2020 17:22]
Login to get fewer ads

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 16:56 - Aug 28 with 1241 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 15:55 - Aug 28 by Professor

Sorry FJ-that's 52, 000 deaths a year. About four times higher than flu deaths. (PLEASE SEE CORRECTION BELOW_SORRY FJ!)

The cases that are rising are mainly in younger people and of lower severity. The danger, is as is happening in the US, the cases move into older and more vulnerable populations-partly the reason deaths have carried on at a high level when cases are falling in Florida for example.

We have big challenges ahead- we honestly don't know the effect of secondary schools re-opening (it is all speculation on both sides) and then later students on campus at universities. I am afraid we may have to sacrifice pubs for schools. Track and trace still needs improvement, and a sudden change of tack to discourage home working is also a bit ill-thought through. We are looking to be at least 80% WFH for another year for academic, and huge restrictions on researchers (apart from Covid priority work). We are going to have limitations for at least another year.

I agree with most of this. The incident director for PHW has put the spike in cases in Cardiff down to pubs in St Mary's Street and people not following social distancing rules and I read the other day the Cardiff cases make up 34% of all Wales cases recently. If it is related to St Marys Street it is likely others in places like Rhondda Cynon Taff and Vale of Glamorgan amongst others will also be affected.

If that is the reason then perhaps closing down pubs in that area might be the right action but only those with real knowledge will know that.

I hope when schools reopen they do so with students wearing masks in lessons as that is likely to be an area it would spread. Also in offices staff tend to be closely packed together masks seem more necessary there than in shops.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:04 - Aug 28 with 1239 viewsProfessor

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 16:56 - Aug 28 by exhmrc1

I agree with most of this. The incident director for PHW has put the spike in cases in Cardiff down to pubs in St Mary's Street and people not following social distancing rules and I read the other day the Cardiff cases make up 34% of all Wales cases recently. If it is related to St Marys Street it is likely others in places like Rhondda Cynon Taff and Vale of Glamorgan amongst others will also be affected.

If that is the reason then perhaps closing down pubs in that area might be the right action but only those with real knowledge will know that.

I hope when schools reopen they do so with students wearing masks in lessons as that is likely to be an area it would spread. Also in offices staff tend to be closely packed together masks seem more necessary there than in shops.

There is increasing evidence of pubs driving this rise. People are being stupid. Stupid comments in the media and social media are hardly helping

At university level most teaching is going to a hybrid-lectures online, distanced face-to-face teaching. So perhaps 15 people in a lecture theatre for 150. We, staff and students, are being supplied with masks.

Secondary is much harder, and transmission from school to home is a real risk. Trying to digest the arrangements for my son's return on the 7th-school have worked hard and are well prepared but how easily this could all break down is the issue.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:20 - Aug 28 with 1229 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:04 - Aug 28 by Professor

There is increasing evidence of pubs driving this rise. People are being stupid. Stupid comments in the media and social media are hardly helping

At university level most teaching is going to a hybrid-lectures online, distanced face-to-face teaching. So perhaps 15 people in a lecture theatre for 150. We, staff and students, are being supplied with masks.

Secondary is much harder, and transmission from school to home is a real risk. Trying to digest the arrangements for my son's return on the 7th-school have worked hard and are well prepared but how easily this could all break down is the issue.

The big problem is in the UK we have a Prime Minister who talks about being careful but is the exact opposite. Considering opening up football grounds is absolutely stupid. Even if you decide to open the Liberty you will probably only be able to have 1 in 3 rows in use and then 1 in 3 seats so for a stadium the size of the Liberty we are looking at crowds of 2-3000 and even that is risky with people all arriving and leaving at the same time.

With cases going up it certainly shouldnt be something that is considered. When there is a downward trend and the cases are about a quarter or less of where they are now it is something to be looked at.

Getting the numbers under control is the key. As you say with schools going back next week and universities following shortly nobody knows what will happen and how much the new cases will rise.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:21 - Aug 28 with 1229 viewsProfessor

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 15:55 - Aug 28 by Professor

And my maths is rubbish. 5200, so about half of flu, on the assumption there is no rise in death rates (which is a big assumption). We should see a significant reduction in flu with distancing which is the case in Australia this winter.

But I think we will see deaths up too-not 100s per day, but perhaps 200-500 per week through Winter. But that is an opinion, not a fact as we don't know
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:26 - Aug 28 with 1223 viewsCatullus

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:04 - Aug 28 by Professor

My son starts in Comprehensive next week. I know there is an increased risk for myself but it's a risk I must take. His future is at stake and has more time ahead of him than I do.
Pubs is another matter, we know common sense lowers as alcohol increases and some people have very little common sense to start with!
Our local rugby club is open and I walk the dog past it most evenings, from the first time it reopened I could see that distancing wasn't happening and it was a mix of age groups. Stupid is as stupid does, to quote Forest!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:37 - Aug 28 with 1216 viewsProfessor

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:26 - Aug 28 by Catullus

My son starts in Comprehensive next week. I know there is an increased risk for myself but it's a risk I must take. His future is at stake and has more time ahead of him than I do.
Pubs is another matter, we know common sense lowers as alcohol increases and some people have very little common sense to start with!
Our local rugby club is open and I walk the dog past it most evenings, from the first time it reopened I could see that distancing wasn't happening and it was a mix of age groups. Stupid is as stupid does, to quote Forest!

Take care Catullus, but as you say we have to go on with school at some point. Kids are often more sensible than adults. As Felixstowe says we can''t carry on with a lockdown forever, we just need to make sure we prioritise what is important. If it's schools or pubs I know what my answer is.

The pub near me is pretty good. Enormous well distanced outside space for what is a tiny pub. Not been for a pint though-was promised one by my daughter when she turned 18 (in March!), so may go down over the weekend with the dogs.

The biggest problem we face is uncertainty with schools and colleges. In terms of the virus though we have better care, better diagnostics and much more understanding. Even with more cases we should see much lower mortality and severe morbidity
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:53 - Aug 28 with 1211 viewsCatullus

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:37 - Aug 28 by Professor

Take care Catullus, but as you say we have to go on with school at some point. Kids are often more sensible than adults. As Felixstowe says we can''t carry on with a lockdown forever, we just need to make sure we prioritise what is important. If it's schools or pubs I know what my answer is.

The pub near me is pretty good. Enormous well distanced outside space for what is a tiny pub. Not been for a pint though-was promised one by my daughter when she turned 18 (in March!), so may go down over the weekend with the dogs.

The biggest problem we face is uncertainty with schools and colleges. In terms of the virus though we have better care, better diagnostics and much more understanding. Even with more cases we should see much lower mortality and severe morbidity

You take care too Prof, maybe one day I can buy you a pint and in return you can give me some UB training!

PS, I think life is meant to be uncertain, otherwise what a boring place this world would be.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:06 - Aug 28 with 1209 viewsProfessor

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:53 - Aug 28 by Catullus

You take care too Prof, maybe one day I can buy you a pint and in return you can give me some UB training!

PS, I think life is meant to be uncertain, otherwise what a boring place this world would be.

Would not know where to begin!
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:08 - Aug 28 with 1208 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:26 - Aug 28 by Catullus

I think it is the lack of control in pubs that is the problem. There needs to be some enforcement and deterrent for not social distancing.

I was in Brighton last week and the pubs were great on the whole. You had to sit at a table and sign a track and trace book in front of staff.

I took my dad to the local club yesterday and there was a group of lads playing pool with no distancing and cue sharing, the old boys were still sitting in the same corner they always have, all 10 of them. Plus it seems that David Beckham was there too,, at least he had signed the track and trace register.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:22 - Aug 28 with 1205 viewsexhmrc1

I call in Wilko's cafe when in Swansea City Centre. The girls there are doing a wonderful job there. The tables are really well spaced out and they are wearing face shields. They take your name and phone number and the table and chairs are cleaned after use and in fairness the manager and assistant manageress are both young in their 20s. Then I see other well known cafes where there is little social distancing.

There are 2 problems with pubs. The first is friends who have always sat together still do so of all ages and the second is the kind of problem in places like Wind Street where there are just too many people and there is inadequate social distancing because of it. My view is quite simply if there is a problem close it down and hopefully they will learn for future.

I think social distancing is the key for the future. Talks of opening sports grounds to fans and getting workers back to offices should be for the future when the virus is under control.

Similarly problems within schools especially secondary needs to be recognised and proper protective measures need to be in place to protect students and staff.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:13 - Aug 28 with 1186 viewsmajorraglan

New cases in Wales have ceased significantly over the last week or so. We need to reopen society, but it needs to be done in a measured way.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:13 - Aug 28 with 1186 viewsexhmrc1

Here is an article from Wales Online about a lack of social distancing not being followed in Merthyr Tydfil

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/spike-coronavirus-cases-merthyr-ty
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:26 - Aug 28 with 1180 viewsProfessor

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:13 - Aug 28 by majorraglan

New cases in Wales have ceased significantly over the last week or so. We need to reopen society, but it needs to be done in a measured way.

Yes. And we need to be prepared to reign back if needed too.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:12 - Aug 28 with 1165 viewsGwyn737

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:22 - Aug 28 by exhmrc1

I call in Wilko's cafe when in Swansea City Centre. The girls there are doing a wonderful job there. The tables are really well spaced out and they are wearing face shields. They take your name and phone number and the table and chairs are cleaned after use and in fairness the manager and assistant manageress are both young in their 20s. Then I see other well known cafes where there is little social distancing.

There are 2 problems with pubs. The first is friends who have always sat together still do so of all ages and the second is the kind of problem in places like Wind Street where there are just too many people and there is inadequate social distancing because of it. My view is quite simply if there is a problem close it down and hopefully they will learn for future.

I think social distancing is the key for the future. Talks of opening sports grounds to fans and getting workers back to offices should be for the future when the virus is under control.

Similarly problems within schools especially secondary needs to be recognised and proper protective measures need to be in place to protect students and staff.

Same experience as you in that I’ve been to good and poor examples of pubs and shops.

The government have made it clear that schools need to remain open (quite right) and this could be at the expense of other activities.

The understanding of the impact of opening schools is pretty limited to my knowledge. The restart is not being helped by the government releasing new guidance tonight, a Friday night before the bank holiday when some schools have already returned.

Schools will be writing risk assessments in a panic and that’s when mistakes are made. I hope I’m wrong but I wish they’d stop messing us about.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:02 - Aug 28 with 1151 viewsAndy1300

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 15:35 - Aug 28 by exhmrc1

So increased testing has nothing to do with finding cases they are looking for.

They are target testing and finding the cases they seek.

Cases mean naff all without hospitalisation and deaths.

We can’t stay in lockdown any more.

Far more are dying of many more things and will continue to do so.

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:48 - Aug 28 with 1133 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:02 - Aug 28 by Andy1300

So increased testing has nothing to do with finding cases they are looking for.

They are target testing and finding the cases they seek.

Cases mean naff all without hospitalisation and deaths.

We can’t stay in lockdown any more.

Far more are dying of many more things and will continue to do so.

If the cases carry on going up we will soon be back to where we were. We need to get the numbers low. They have already changed the rules in England to try to reduce the number of deaths showed. If you get loads of cases in a couple of weeks you get more deaths. What is going to end up happening is people end up in hospital and a percentage of those go into intensive care and sadly pass away.

Wales had its first day with no deaths on 6 July. Since then there has been 27 days with no deaths but sadly on other days there have been and still will be deaths. There has been 35 this month and nearly all have been in North Wales which has seen the bulk of new cases.

Now that the cases are increasing in South Wales we will no doubt in a couple of weeks time start seeing more people pass away here as well.

35 is the amount of deaths in Wales alone. It is far higher in England. Even Scotland which didnt have any deaths for a while had some recently as cases there have increased.

You just cannot ignore the face that this virus is here for some time and ignoring it as you wish to will simply increase the numbers and deaths.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:59 - Aug 28 with 1116 viewsJack123

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:48 - Aug 28 by exhmrc1

If the cases carry on going up we will soon be back to where we were. We need to get the numbers low. They have already changed the rules in England to try to reduce the number of deaths showed. If you get loads of cases in a couple of weeks you get more deaths. What is going to end up happening is people end up in hospital and a percentage of those go into intensive care and sadly pass away.

Wales had its first day with no deaths on 6 July. Since then there has been 27 days with no deaths but sadly on other days there have been and still will be deaths. There has been 35 this month and nearly all have been in North Wales which has seen the bulk of new cases.

Now that the cases are increasing in South Wales we will no doubt in a couple of weeks time start seeing more people pass away here as well.

35 is the amount of deaths in Wales alone. It is far higher in England. Even Scotland which didnt have any deaths for a while had some recently as cases there have increased.

You just cannot ignore the face that this virus is here for some time and ignoring it as you wish to will simply increase the numbers and deaths.

Funnily enough I agree with you and also Andy, there is caution on my part! But i think Andy has a point, look at France for example today 7,379 new cases and 20 deaths, https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

IMO these new cases increasing, in comparison to the death rate can only mean a couple of things.

A: the virus is less virulent

B: the tests are meaningless

libera nos a malo

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024