Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Huw wants Giggs as new manager 22:40 - Sep 21 with 19840 viewsmarchamjack

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/21/swansea-target-ryan-giggs-to-repl

aside from lock up your wives...

Guidolin 'dead man walking'

Guidolin watched the Tour de France instead of attending training sessions in the States on pre-season tour...

all good stuff
[Post edited 21 Sep 2016 22:41]

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 13:43 - Sep 22 with 1785 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 13:29 - Sep 22 by Smellyplumz

I'm sorry but FG has brought this apon himself, if your appy to just nod your head and accept the chairman picking the players then you are part of the problem. In my eyes if Guido said he is happy with his squad then it's down to him to make it work other wise he could of said, no I'm not happy with my squad.

I think what FG says in public and what he says in private are different things. The last minute panic to get Valencia after FG was seen in animated discussion with HJ suggests that he made it clear that he wasn't happy with the transfer window.

Accepting the chairman picking players coming in appears to be a prerequisite for the post so unless HJ changes that we're stuck with managers who accept it and then take the blame and the pay off when HJ screws up.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 13:49 - Sep 22 with 1767 viewslondonlisa2001

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 13:35 - Sep 22 by Darran

I agree about most of that Lis but he's had plenty of time get us playing in a more positive manner but he's far far too negative.

I didn't predict it either.

The minute he knew the conditions he had to work under he should have said thanks but no thanks.

It's sad and I'd love to see us give Man City and Liverpool a good tonking and have a nice rest over the international break and come back and give Arsenal a tonking but I just don't see it happening.

Oh and just for the record I couldn't give a shit about last nights performance or result because it's got absolutely no bearing on Saturdays game whatsoever.

If you have a set of below par players though that you know are going to get tonked if set up to go for it, and stand a chance of sneaking a point or a win if you try to get them to sit back, then what do you do?

I have zero doubt that Guidolin is on his way. The club (or parts of it) are doing what recently they've started to do - leak crap and make his situation untenable. But a few weeks ago when the window ended, I said (as did many others) that he will be made the fall guy for a dreadful window, and so it happens. Could Guidolin have been more forceful about it? Of course, but I don't see that him openly stating our squad was crap would have helped.

I agree about last night but I think it was important that we didn't get thumped.

Btw and this isn't aimed at you but Giggs? On what basis should we appoint him? It's not his personal life (although that demonstrates that he is a horrible human being), nor his lack of professionalism (not showing up for Wales - compare and contrast to Bale) but his complete lack of experience. He hasn't demonstrated that he can manage so quite why we'd bring him in I have no idea. The media would love it of course, but it'd be a joke. He could do well, but that's the equivalent of sticking a pin in a telephone directory - there is no history to suggest it would happen. I'm fed up of crap shoot appointments - and it's costing us a fortune.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2016 13:54]
Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 13:54 - Sep 22 with 1752 viewsmajorraglan

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 13:05 - Sep 22 by londonlisa2001

Come on Darran - there's some very selective revisionism going on. A number of us who wanted Guidolin to stay on also pointed out the squad needed a major overhaul. You were one of those who reckoned the squad wasn't as bad as we all said. Now things are going badly, you are bumping threads where people have said they wanted Guidolin to stay on which misses the point that the other bit of the equation (the squad having a major overhaul) didn't happen. In fact, the squad was made weaker over the summer.

Guidolin is not the problem - the fact that our squad is painfully thin is the problem. Changing manager has no effect on that.

But look, if you want to spend the rest of the doubtless short time until Guidolin is sacked pretending that you predicted this and those who wanted a Guidolin to stay were mistaken, you carry on.

I am happy to reiterate my position - Guidolin was a perfectly good choice to stay on (not compared to anyone else, but compared to Brendan which seemed the choice at the time). However, our squad is not good enough and the best manager in the world would struggle to make them look anything other than not good enough.

Good post. The squad is poorer this season, our new owners have to realise this is the PL where relegation is reality.

When the sale went through there was mention of the next level...... as things stand that is going to be the Championship!

FG will take the hit for others failings,
[Post edited 22 Sep 2016 13:55]
Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 13:56 - Sep 22 with 1734 viewsDarran

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 13:49 - Sep 22 by londonlisa2001

If you have a set of below par players though that you know are going to get tonked if set up to go for it, and stand a chance of sneaking a point or a win if you try to get them to sit back, then what do you do?

I have zero doubt that Guidolin is on his way. The club (or parts of it) are doing what recently they've started to do - leak crap and make his situation untenable. But a few weeks ago when the window ended, I said (as did many others) that he will be made the fall guy for a dreadful window, and so it happens. Could Guidolin have been more forceful about it? Of course, but I don't see that him openly stating our squad was crap would have helped.

I agree about last night but I think it was important that we didn't get thumped.

Btw and this isn't aimed at you but Giggs? On what basis should we appoint him? It's not his personal life (although that demonstrates that he is a horrible human being), nor his lack of professionalism (not showing up for Wales - compare and contrast to Bale) but his complete lack of experience. He hasn't demonstrated that he can manage so quite why we'd bring him in I have no idea. The media would love it of course, but it'd be a joke. He could do well, but that's the equivalent of sticking a pin in a telephone directory - there is no history to suggest it would happen. I'm fed up of crap shoot appointments - and it's costing us a fortune.

On what basis should we appoint anyone I'm not Derek Acorah.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 14:00 - Sep 22 with 1726 viewslondonlisa2001

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 13:56 - Sep 22 by Darran

On what basis should we appoint anyone I'm not Derek Acorah.

Having a track record?

It's better than appointing someone because Chris Wathan wants to be his friend.
Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 14:19 - Sep 22 with 1679 viewsmagicdaps10

I dont think its a case of appointing someone who as been there and done it but someone who can earn the players respect and ignite their hunger on the field.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 14:22 - Sep 22 with 1667 viewsDarran

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 14:00 - Sep 22 by londonlisa2001

Having a track record?

It's better than appointing someone because Chris Wathan wants to be his friend.

Well our most successful managers haven't had much of a track record.

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 14:28 - Sep 22 with 1643 viewsmonmouth

Fact is, if we keep sacking managers 2 months after giving them contracts, the players will never ever take any responsibility for their performances and see every manager as temporary. It's the Sunderland/Villa/Fulham approach to life and it wrecks clubs that need to rely on everyone being committed to the greater cause.

All this shit has to stop and Jenkins has developed this mentality in the club so he's now got to put a stop to it or just fack off and count his dosh. If Guidolin is sacked (and he's going to be isn't he, even if we beat City, Arsenal and Liverpool - which we won't - it'll just be when the next bad run rears its head) then the next appointment has to be a major hitter (like Newcastle did with Benitez, although we won't get that calibre) that will sort out the club from top to bottom, and play a major role in recruitment, not another yes man eunuch.

Not going to happen is it?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 14:32 - Sep 22 with 1623 viewslondonlisa2001

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 14:22 - Sep 22 by Darran

Well our most successful managers haven't had much of a track record.

If you're talking Brendan that's just not true. Track record doesn't imply that someone has had to manage at the top level, but they should at least have managed before.

Plus, we were in the a championship then which is a different beast.

Monk had no experience but was at least in the same club. Plus, look at the legacy of that. Roberto had no experience, but again, look at the league we were in.

Giggs has shown absolutely no reason to appoint him other than he's Welsh.

And I personally believe that a career which was entirely at one club (and hugely successful club) isn't necessarily the best experience for managing a club like us either. He may be great - I'm just saying that I can't see the basis for us assuming he would be.
Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 14:34 - Sep 22 with 1612 viewsDarran

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 14:32 - Sep 22 by londonlisa2001

If you're talking Brendan that's just not true. Track record doesn't imply that someone has had to manage at the top level, but they should at least have managed before.

Plus, we were in the a championship then which is a different beast.

Monk had no experience but was at least in the same club. Plus, look at the legacy of that. Roberto had no experience, but again, look at the league we were in.

Giggs has shown absolutely no reason to appoint him other than he's Welsh.

And I personally believe that a career which was entirely at one club (and hugely successful club) isn't necessarily the best experience for managing a club like us either. He may be great - I'm just saying that I can't see the basis for us assuming he would be.

Lisa there's no guarantee whomever we appoint.
Track record means nowt.

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 14:37 - Sep 22 with 1605 viewsjacksfullaces

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 12:28 - Sep 22 by Joe_bradshaw

It's tough to devote time to succession planning when you've got all that money to count and can't decide whether to get a Bentley or an Aston Martin.

Which isn't a difficult decision but I expect he's dithering.

depends, what's the nearest car manufacturer to falkirk or middlesboro.
Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 14:38 - Sep 22 with 1601 viewsmonmouth

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 14:34 - Sep 22 by Darran

Track record means nowt.

Strength of character is though. Giggs is a weasel.

Is it a bird? Is its plane? No, it's Superinjunction.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 14:39 - Sep 22 with 1594 viewsjacksfullaces

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 13:18 - Sep 22 by ItchySphincter

Me too. Not too bothered if we go down either, so long as we stop playing this stationary football. Have our players been told that they're not allowed to run or pass forward? I'd happily trade the PL for enjoyable football.

have we got the players to do this now?
Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 14:39 - Sep 22 with 1594 viewslondonlisa2001

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 14:34 - Sep 22 by Darran

Track record means nowt.

No, of course there's not. But appointing an untried, inexperienced manager to a club that at the moment is looking like a basket case isn't doing all that we can to try to get the right person in.
Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 14:41 - Sep 22 with 1570 viewsDarran

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 14:38 - Sep 22 by monmouth

Strength of character is though. Giggs is a weasel.

Is it a bird? Is its plane? No, it's Superinjunction.

I don't think we should go for Giggs anyway.

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 15:21 - Sep 22 with 1496 viewsSmellyplumz

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 13:34 - Sep 22 by Legend83

Fair, so how about we back the manager and give him 10-15 games to make it work.

We have seen glimpses of what he can do with this team, and also improvements in certain players under his tenure (Montero / Barrow etc).

All this bollocks is just unsettling.

The biggest problem I can see is Huw Jenkins because the same problem is going to continue until we are allowed to have a manager that has a big say in player recruitment and playing style, he needs to recognise this problem and stay in his fackin office. Down the training ground every day! WTF

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 15:39 - Sep 22 with 1465 viewsTheKirkyLife

To kill the snake you cut off the head, right? Jenkins surely should be the one to go after screwing up so much. All began when he gave Monk the big contract instead of putting him in as first team coach under someone more experienced.

Transfers didn't start getting poor until half way through Monk's first year on the job when things were going swimmingly and cockiness started to rise. Just look at the contrast here:

Summer 2014; Fabianski, Gomis, Kingsley, Emnes, Sigurdsson, Montero, Fernandez, Barrow

January 2015; Grimes, Naughton, Cork

Now out of those Summer signings I would say all of those, at some point, have been of great use to our squad be it Fabianski as a fantastic new No.1 goalie or Emnes for squad depth. January however you'd have to argue caused a lot of worry. Grimes was brought up far to early and only really a loan option which, from his Blackburn and Leeds spells, doesn't look amazing. Then we have the quite frankly baffling signings of Naughton and Cork - clearly meant as replacements for the aging Britton and Rangel. I like Cork as a player but an improvement on what we had already he was not. I could not believe we sold Jose Canas or didn't go in for De Guzman full time since both of those, in my opinion, are better players. Naughton for Rangel was utterly ridiculous.

The reading just gets worse heading into last season. I'll star players who made a good impact.

Summer 2015; Ayew*, Tabanou, Eder, Nordfeldt, McBurnie (though his time could come), Tremmel

January 2016; Paloschi, Fer*

Summer 2016; Van der Hoorn (on evidence of last night could yet be a great signing), Birighitti (4th keeper why?), Llorente (not looking too good so far), Baston (looking pretty good from one appearance), Mawson (oozing with potential)

A lot therefore rests on the shoulders of Guidolin and the players brought in during this Summer. Huw is right, we are paying for previous bad windows which HE oversaw. Useless spending from January 2014 to January 2015 has cost us dearly and eagerly throwing some out of the club has bit us badly. I look at our squad now and a lot of people are right, we are weaker, but less so than many may fear.

In Fabs, Siggy and Baston I really do think we've got great quality there. In Kingsley we have a great up and coming LB and perhaps the partnerships to be formed between Amat, Van der Hoorn and Mawson could yet prove to be incredible business long term. A lot of people on here have talked of us losing the Swansea way and in my years of watching the team to me that personality hinges on the quality and confidence of the midfield.

Now in Gylfi we may have a good leader of that midfield but what else do we have? Leon is still quality but aging badly. Cork is good and puts in a decent shift but can we say much more than that? Ki should have been sold by now. Fer should be challenging for Gylfi's spot. Fulton, since his first introduction under Monk, has impressed me and could yet be a mainstay. The middle of the park is still paper thin however. We can't rely on Gylfi, Fulton proving potential and Cork having a great day/Britton not tiring to pull us through.

We look out to the wings and not signing Chadli/loaning out Gorre has killed us for options. Chadli/Barrow would have been a wonderful first team combo with Montero/Dyer as subs options followed by Routledge/Gorre for squad depth. But no. £12 million was too much for a quality player who is already scoring goals this season at WEST BROM.

Sorry for the long post but as much as I'm unhappy with Guidolin's tactics I do think the finger should be pointed first at the man who perhaps forced his hand in trying these nonsensical ideas in an effort to find his first team. Hopefully the cup game has shown exactly who deserves those starting berths.
Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 15:44 - Sep 22 with 1455 viewsjasper_T

Canas was awful.
Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 15:49 - Sep 22 with 1440 viewsymaohyd

Tony Pulls very eloquently last season,summed up the pressures of being a PL manager, particularly for managers of clubs like West Brom and the Swans.

Lose a few games and the spotlight is on you, pressure is on to win within the next few games, if you don't you're out.

All the debate etc etc it's all quite simple. Do we want to stay in the Prem or not? If we do then we have international windows to sort things out. We have a huge turnover and should have the ability to swiftly get rid and bring in someone fresh.

The way we approached the Monk situation last season, quite frankly was ridiculous.

If I were the Americans I would have already put in a consultant to advise me and to hire me a director of football and new manager by October.

Bye bye HJ and Guido.

If all of a sudden we beat City and one of the next 3 games after that then we love Frankie and Huw.

It's a false plastic world, but it is what it is.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 19:42 - Sep 22 with 1311 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I am truly fed up with a lot of people quoting just part of what Guido was saying right through the Transfer Window.
He said I am "appy" with my curretn squad but we need 2 or 3 more players.
That of course was before Gomis, Ash & Ayew Emnes etc left.
So he was OK with the Squad but wanted 2 or 3 more players and instead they took away 2 of his top team players.
Which meant he really wanted 5 more players, at that stage he got 2 Borja and Mawson, who hasn't even played yet.
No mid field magician, no Left back, no right back, no winger (well he got Dyer as Huw said = a new signing).
On top of all that he had a pre-season with about half to three quarters of his first team.
If you wanted to write a cooking recipe for disaster you wouldn't have to look much further would you?
Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 19:46 - Sep 22 with 1288 viewsLoyal

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 19:42 - Sep 22 by A_Fans_Dad

I am truly fed up with a lot of people quoting just part of what Guido was saying right through the Transfer Window.
He said I am "appy" with my curretn squad but we need 2 or 3 more players.
That of course was before Gomis, Ash & Ayew Emnes etc left.
So he was OK with the Squad but wanted 2 or 3 more players and instead they took away 2 of his top team players.
Which meant he really wanted 5 more players, at that stage he got 2 Borja and Mawson, who hasn't even played yet.
No mid field magician, no Left back, no right back, no winger (well he got Dyer as Huw said = a new signing).
On top of all that he had a pre-season with about half to three quarters of his first team.
If you wanted to write a cooking recipe for disaster you wouldn't have to look much further would you?

On a positive note he did see the Tour de France, what more do you want !

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 19:51 - Sep 22 with 1269 viewsPozuelosSideys

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 13:49 - Sep 22 by londonlisa2001

Spot on

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 20:12 - Sep 22 with 1224 viewsAngelRangelQS

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 19:46 - Sep 22 by Loyal

On a positive note he did see the Tour de France, what more do you want !

I'll tell you one thing I've been impressed with over the last few years...

The way the club has been run, our results, our style of football, transfers and managerial decisions have all steadily declined but the quality of the stories that have been leaked to the press has sky rocketed.

Under Sousa we had rumblings of unhappiness with training ground methods and his assistant which in hindsight were boring and unimaginative. Even in the early days of Laudrup things hadn't really moved on from that.

Since then, however we've been regaled with tales of Laudrup f*cking off to Paris to see his daughter, Chico trying to smash Monk's head in with a brick over a bowl of coco pops and now Guidolin missing training to watch the Tour de France... it really is superb stuff
Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 20:30 - Sep 22 with 1164 viewsGowerjack

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 23:05 - Sep 21 by Darran

I'd be more interested to know who'd be coming with Giggs myself.

In what way Pross?

Players in January or coaching staff?

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 20:31 - Sep 22 with 1160 viewsDarran

Huw wants Giggs as new manager on 20:30 - Sep 22 by Gowerjack

In what way Pross?

Players in January or coaching staff?

Coaching staff.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024