Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Young lad in the east stand 11:56 - Aug 31 with 20712 viewsBenJ94

Saw a young lad leaving the east stand yesterday after the game in a full Manchester United kit. I suppose you can only the parents. If I were a steward, I'd have stopped them from going in.
Young lad in the east stand on 20:00 - Sep 2 with 1319 viewsmorningstar

Young lad in the east stand on 19:46 - Sep 2 by sherpajacob

I desperately want the swans to win the fa cup, but in comparison to wales winning the rwc it doesn't even get close.

But it's not a zero sum game, why can't I have both?

Swans to win fa cup currently 25-1
Wales to win rwc 16-1.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2015 19:49]

Umm. Are you actually saying here that Wales winning the Rugby world cup would mean more to you than Swans winning the FA cup? Did I get that right?

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Young lad in the east stand on 20:02 - Sep 2 with 1312 viewsmorningstar

Young lad in the east stand on 19:55 - Sep 2 by jack247

It is also pretty much guaranteed that whichever pub you watch Wales v England in, someone will shout 'Come on Shane!'.

Doesn't detract from what it is though, it is a great event and the social aspect of the 6 nations/RWC is something I have never seen football match here. Remains to be seen if that changes if/when we are at the Euros.

I love the rugby Tim, But who the fvck is Shane?

Young lad in the east stand on 20:11 - Sep 2 with 1291 viewsjack247

Young lad in the east stand on 20:02 - Sep 2 by morningstar

I love the rugby Tim, But who the fvck is Shane?

Haha fck off Gary! 😜
Young lad in the east stand on 20:14 - Sep 2 with 1284 viewsTrundle10

Young lad in the east stand on 19:50 - Sep 2 by jack247

Ha! Yeah I get the duplicate post thing. How have I contradicted myself?

You say - "I haven't said its not perceived to be our national sport, it is, inside and outside of Wales."

so, let me get this right, it is perceived to be our national sport by everybody inside and outside of Wales but it really isn't because you don't think it is? The masses who follow Wales are just pissheads and that doesn't count?

The 5000 plus who turned up to see Wales train in North Wales a few weeks ago don't count either and the 60,00 who turned up at the Millennium stadium to watch the big screens in the Millennium stadium for the 2011 semi v France which was played in New Zealand do not count either? Just after a day out and not interested in the rugby? The fact that more people watch Wales ply rugby than watch Wales play football does not come into it either, they are just pissheads going for a day out.
Young lad in the east stand on 20:32 - Sep 2 with 1244 viewsmorningstar

Young lad in the east stand on 20:14 - Sep 2 by Trundle10

You say - "I haven't said its not perceived to be our national sport, it is, inside and outside of Wales."

so, let me get this right, it is perceived to be our national sport by everybody inside and outside of Wales but it really isn't because you don't think it is? The masses who follow Wales are just pissheads and that doesn't count?

The 5000 plus who turned up to see Wales train in North Wales a few weeks ago don't count either and the 60,00 who turned up at the Millennium stadium to watch the big screens in the Millennium stadium for the 2011 semi v France which was played in New Zealand do not count either? Just after a day out and not interested in the rugby? The fact that more people watch Wales ply rugby than watch Wales play football does not come into it either, they are just pissheads going for a day out.

The 5000 that turned out in North Wales see it as a novelty, and I would guess a similar (if not more) would turn out to watch the Football team prior to going to France.
The 60000 at the Millenium stadium to watch on screen are.........yes, on the piss.

Young lad in the east stand on 20:34 - Sep 2 with 1241 viewsjack247

Jesus, this is like trying to polish a turd. I thought you didn't agree with my point of view, didn't realise you hadn't understood it.

What did those 60,000 people do the week after, or the week after that? Were they just out on the piss with no real interest in rugby? A lot of them, yes.

You posted an article yesterday and the headline was something along the lines of 'hundreds turn up to greet Welsh Rugby team' somewhere in North Wales. Hundreds? Ki gets more South Koreans than that at every home game.

Football is not the national game because I said it is, it is the national game because people play it and watch it in numbers week in week out.

I am not saying that everybody who goes to watch Wales play is just on a jolly, some are genuine rugby fans who support their regional or local club every week. Just a lot of them aren't, the comparative numbers between international and regional games will tell you that.

You ask someone who isn't really interested in sport what our national sport is and they will tell you rugby. Ask someone who follows either sport intently and they will fall into two camps, the realists who will tell you football and the romantacists who will say rugby.

It comes down to whether you use fact or hwyl as your yardstick
Young lad in the east stand on 20:42 - Sep 2 with 1225 viewsyescomeon

Young lad in the east stand on 19:49 - Sep 2 by builthjack

How boring to have a dozen or so Proffessional playing rugby countries. The same 6 teams playing for the 6 nations every year, it is not a true worldwide sport. Well over 200 Professional football playing nations.
If Wales are ranked 7th in the rugby rankings they are in the bottom half.
Whereas if Wales are 50th in football, they are in the top 25%.

Rugby will never be a worldwide sport until the existing countries agree to divisions/tiers and get more clubs into the structure. Or would that mean that Wales could get relegated?

As for being the National sport, far more people play football every week. As for filling the a millennium on match day, yes, but most haven't a clue of the rules even, they are just there for a day on the pi$$.
It has just reminded me of when I watched Wales rugby in a pub a few years ago. There were a load of day trip fans in there. Wales were winning with a few minutes to go, and the group,were saying that there were 12 minutes to go!! They thought it was 90 minutes, the same as football. I rest my case.

I'm sure that people attend the football to have a day on the drink, people have in the past gone to the football just to have a fight. Maybe some people go to the football for the social element, "all me mates go and it is a chance to meet up with them", maybe it is a chance for some people to get away from the mrs for an hour or two, or for something to do with the kids as a day out. Most of these are probably true of rugby as well. You can't tell me that football is void of people who just go to the football to go to the football and haven't really got a clue about the game.

I prefer the football to the rugby, every day of the week every week of the year. The stat's suggest that the majority of Wales prefers the game of football to the game of rugby, I won't dispute that. My argument is that that doesn't make it the national sport. The rugby is seen by many as an opportunity to celebrate all things Welsh and to show your patriotism, that is what makes it the national game. Hearing the national anthem in a full Millennium Stadium is when I am the proudest I am to be Welsh I think, a tear rarely far away from the eye, prefer it to the bloody game I do. It will take a seismic shift for things to change, but I feel the ground moving. The atmosphere when we beat Belgium was as good as anything I felt in the rugby. If that feeling can be reproduced as often as it is in the rugby then I think things will start to change, but it will still take at least a generation.

Upthecity!

Young lad in the east stand on 20:45 - Sep 2 with 1219 viewsDr_Winston

"The stat's suggest that the majority of Wales prefers the game of football to the game of rugby, I won't dispute that"

If only Trundle10 took that attitude we could have closed the thread six pages ago.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Young lad in the east stand on 20:53 - Sep 2 with 1207 viewssherpajacob

Young lad in the east stand on 20:00 - Sep 2 by morningstar

Umm. Are you actually saying here that Wales winning the Rugby world cup would mean more to you than Swans winning the FA cup? Did I get that right?

That is correct.

But I would like both and can't understand the mentality of people who demigrate one sport because it's not their favourite sport.

I would like glamorgan to win the county championship again, I want the ospreys to win the European cup. I want wales to qualify for France 2016 and then go and win it.

But head and shoulders above everything else I want wales to win the rugby world cup.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Young lad in the east stand on 20:56 - Sep 2 with 1202 viewsTrundle10

Young lad in the east stand on 20:34 - Sep 2 by jack247

Jesus, this is like trying to polish a turd. I thought you didn't agree with my point of view, didn't realise you hadn't understood it.

What did those 60,000 people do the week after, or the week after that? Were they just out on the piss with no real interest in rugby? A lot of them, yes.

You posted an article yesterday and the headline was something along the lines of 'hundreds turn up to greet Welsh Rugby team' somewhere in North Wales. Hundreds? Ki gets more South Koreans than that at every home game.

Football is not the national game because I said it is, it is the national game because people play it and watch it in numbers week in week out.

I am not saying that everybody who goes to watch Wales play is just on a jolly, some are genuine rugby fans who support their regional or local club every week. Just a lot of them aren't, the comparative numbers between international and regional games will tell you that.

You ask someone who isn't really interested in sport what our national sport is and they will tell you rugby. Ask someone who follows either sport intently and they will fall into two camps, the realists who will tell you football and the romantacists who will say rugby.

It comes down to whether you use fact or hwyl as your yardstick

5000 plus turned up for the training session in North Wales. People turn up and watch rugby in numbers too, dunno where your scewed football figures come from. Wales has 240 rugby clubs affiliated to the wru many with vibrant mini sections with an overflow of players.On top of this there are junior union clubs all with decent followings.many many of the pissheads who watch Wales are members or involved with the said clubs that is how they get tickets. These people support their community clubs in a way that does not happen in football. What are the attendances of these clubs matches? you do the sums....I played in the top level of welsh club rugby back in the day and also captained my local club when i stepped down to an easier level, i have been involved in lower welsh league games where a few hundred have paid to watch.this is not counting the people who watch youth xv 2nd xv and 3rd xv games. Yes Swansea are a big deal and tickets are at a premium but what if we get relegated, what will happen then? I was there in the Vetch with 6,000 others What happened to the attendances in Legoland when Cardiff got relegated. National sport my arse.

WTF has South Korea got to do with anything?

Anyway, we are clearly not going to agree on this and my head is starting to hurt. I'm out
[Post edited 2 Sep 2015 20:59]
Young lad in the east stand on 20:59 - Sep 2 with 1190 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Young lad in the east stand on 20:45 - Sep 2 by Dr_Winston

"The stat's suggest that the majority of Wales prefers the game of football to the game of rugby, I won't dispute that"

If only Trundle10 took that attitude we could have closed the thread six pages ago.

He wouldn't let it lie, would he !

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Young lad in the east stand on 21:08 - Sep 2 with 1171 viewsjack247

Young lad in the east stand on 20:56 - Sep 2 by Trundle10

5000 plus turned up for the training session in North Wales. People turn up and watch rugby in numbers too, dunno where your scewed football figures come from. Wales has 240 rugby clubs affiliated to the wru many with vibrant mini sections with an overflow of players.On top of this there are junior union clubs all with decent followings.many many of the pissheads who watch Wales are members or involved with the said clubs that is how they get tickets. These people support their community clubs in a way that does not happen in football. What are the attendances of these clubs matches? you do the sums....I played in the top level of welsh club rugby back in the day and also captained my local club when i stepped down to an easier level, i have been involved in lower welsh league games where a few hundred have paid to watch.this is not counting the people who watch youth xv 2nd xv and 3rd xv games. Yes Swansea are a big deal and tickets are at a premium but what if we get relegated, what will happen then? I was there in the Vetch with 6,000 others What happened to the attendances in Legoland when Cardiff got relegated. National sport my arse.

WTF has South Korea got to do with anything?

Anyway, we are clearly not going to agree on this and my head is starting to hurt. I'm out
[Post edited 2 Sep 2015 20:59]

What happened to the attendances at Legoland? They fell to a few thousand more than the Ospreys and the Blues get. Combined. In the top division and playing in Europe.

I don't get screwed football figures from anywhere. I haven't quoted figures. You are just making stuff up now.

You have a point with the local rugby clubs being cornerstones of the community. I'm not going to argue that.

I agree we aren't going to get anywhere on this. I'm out too
Young lad in the east stand on 21:10 - Sep 2 with 1167 viewssherpajacob

Nobody would dispute that the national sport of new Zealand is rugby.

They hosted and won the last world cup.

The biggest attendance for the entire tournament was the Welsh fans who turned up at 8 am to watch it on the big screen at the millenium stadium.

Cardiff arms park, the national stadium, millenium stadium has long been recognised as having the most knowledgeable international rugby crowd in the world.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Young lad in the east stand on 21:17 - Sep 2 with 1156 viewsjack247

Young lad in the east stand on 21:10 - Sep 2 by sherpajacob

Nobody would dispute that the national sport of new Zealand is rugby.

They hosted and won the last world cup.

The biggest attendance for the entire tournament was the Welsh fans who turned up at 8 am to watch it on the big screen at the millenium stadium.

Cardiff arms park, the national stadium, millenium stadium has long been recognised as having the most knowledgeable international rugby crowd in the world.

Was long recognised in the days before international rugby matches got hijacked by women in pink cowboy hats and people on hospitality.

The Arms Park, quite possibly yes, when it was mainly standing and full of genuine rugby fans who played for and supported their local clubs as well as their country. A lot of people from the traditional rugby heartlands are simply priced out now.

The Millenium Stadium is probably stretching the truth a bit.
Young lad in the east stand on 21:36 - Sep 2 with 1121 viewsmorningstar

Young lad in the east stand on 20:53 - Sep 2 by sherpajacob

That is correct.

But I would like both and can't understand the mentality of people who demigrate one sport because it's not their favourite sport.

I would like glamorgan to win the county championship again, I want the ospreys to win the European cup. I want wales to qualify for France 2016 and then go and win it.

But head and shoulders above everything else I want wales to win the rugby world cup.

Ok cool. I also want everything Welsh to succeed in any sport. But posting on a football messageboard as a Swans fan (which you obviously are), that you prefer rugby success over your football team just does'nt sit right? It's not a criticism, and maybe I'm being a bit backward. But shouldn't you really be posting that you prefer rugby over football on like say...a rugby site?

Young lad in the east stand on 21:39 - Sep 2 with 1114 viewslondonlisa2001

Young lad in the east stand on 21:36 - Sep 2 by morningstar

Ok cool. I also want everything Welsh to succeed in any sport. But posting on a football messageboard as a Swans fan (which you obviously are), that you prefer rugby success over your football team just does'nt sit right? It's not a criticism, and maybe I'm being a bit backward. But shouldn't you really be posting that you prefer rugby over football on like say...a rugby site?

Why?

Doesn't make someone less of a Swans fan to prefer something else I don't think. God - it's a joy to have someone who doesn't think either Man Utd or Liverpool are more important.

By the way - I would say that I would take the Swans winning the FA cup over Wales in the RWC any day. Hell - I'd prefer the Swans winning away at Man City probably. But I would love to see Wales win the RWC - not least to shut up all the English around me!
Young lad in the east stand on 21:59 - Sep 2 with 1089 viewsmorningstar

Young lad in the east stand on 21:39 - Sep 2 by londonlisa2001

Why?

Doesn't make someone less of a Swans fan to prefer something else I don't think. God - it's a joy to have someone who doesn't think either Man Utd or Liverpool are more important.

By the way - I would say that I would take the Swans winning the FA cup over Wales in the RWC any day. Hell - I'd prefer the Swans winning away at Man City probably. But I would love to see Wales win the RWC - not least to shut up all the English around me!

Are there lots of posters saying Man Utd or Liverpool are more important than us then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024