Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Young lad in the east stand 11:56 - Aug 31 with 20714 viewsBenJ94

Saw a young lad leaving the east stand yesterday after the game in a full Manchester United kit. I suppose you can only the parents. If I were a steward, I'd have stopped them from going in.
Young lad in the east stand on 14:21 - Sep 1 with 1676 viewsScoobyWho

Young lad in the east stand on 14:13 - Sep 1 by JackUlation

Problem was, His father was wearing a man u top as well as the kid

Are you sure they were in the east stand ?

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Young lad in the east stand on 14:41 - Sep 1 with 1644 viewsMillJack

Young lad in the east stand on 13:35 - Sep 1 by Dr_Winston

I don't doubt that there's a few North Walians into it, but it's far fewer than play/watch/support football.

I wouldn't disagree with that but exactly the same can be said of the rest of Wales.

Anyone who tries to suggest that rugby is more popular in Wales is talking out of their backside. However, I would say that rugby is our "national sport" purely down to the history and traditions surrounding it.
Young lad in the east stand on 14:50 - Sep 1 with 1628 viewsjack247

Young lad in the east stand on 14:18 - Sep 1 by perchrockjack

Again prejudice taking over.
Figures are meaningless in this debate because what we are talking about is "national game" which can be defined in a broader context to mean how WALES is perceived by other countries sports wise.

Its unpalatable yto those who were forced to play rugby at school but it really is as how others see us.

ASK a foreigner next time.

No one disputes that is how foreigners see us. It is a perception, not a reality.

Our national sport, is the sport that Welsh nationals choose to play and watch more than any other. If you want to make up your own criteria , which is defined by everybody apart from Welsh people, then you may have a point.
Young lad in the east stand on 14:54 - Sep 1 with 1616 viewsDr_Winston

Figures are meaningless in this debate because what we are talking about is "national game" which can be defined in a broader context to mean how WALES is perceived by other countries sports wise.

Its unpalatable yto those who were forced to play rugby at school but it really is as how others see us.

Yes, let's ignore such abstract concepts like "figures" and "reality" and base our conclusions on what non-welsh people think, whatever that may be.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Young lad in the east stand on 14:56 - Sep 1 with 1610 viewsTrundle10

Young lad in the east stand on 13:04 - Sep 1 by jack247

You are mixing up being a supporter and enjoying a day out.

I agree that its a common perception, in Wales as well as internationally, but you don't have to look very hard to realise its an incorrect one.

No i am not
Young lad in the east stand on 14:59 - Sep 1 with 1598 viewsTrundle10

Young lad in the east stand on 13:09 - Sep 1 by Dr_Winston

How many people play Rugby in North Wales?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/day-north-wales-went-wild-98
Young lad in the east stand on 15:01 - Sep 1 with 1592 viewsjack247

Young lad in the east stand on 14:56 - Sep 1 by Trundle10

No i am not

Ok, well being in the Welsh psyche is pretty meaningless if these people only ever watch 6 or 7 games a year and don't bother to support the same players when they turn out for the regional sides.
Young lad in the east stand on 15:14 - Sep 1 with 1575 viewsTrundle10

I prefer football, in fact, i rarely watch rugby although i used to play it to a high standard. You are massaging the figures there tho friend. Are the regions more popular than Swansea or Cardiff? No they are not. Although i do not know why you used these figures. Wales football has sold out legoland once. Wales get 70000 plus in the millenium almost every game. Below the regional level there is a large parochial following at many clubs including the likes of Pontypridd etc below that you have Pontypool etc etc. that without looking at the smaller clubs. Five Thousand turned out to watch Wales train in North Wales a few weeks ago. Wales rugby shirts are a massive seller too. Do not know why it has to be a competition tho.
Login to get fewer ads

Young lad in the east stand on 15:26 - Sep 1 with 1556 viewsjasper_T

Comparing international football with international rugby is a different discussion to comparing club football with club rugby, or people playing football with people playing rugby.

In only one of those is rugby Wales' "national sport".
Young lad in the east stand on 15:26 - Sep 1 with 1556 viewsjack247

Young lad in the east stand on 15:14 - Sep 1 by Trundle10

I prefer football, in fact, i rarely watch rugby although i used to play it to a high standard. You are massaging the figures there tho friend. Are the regions more popular than Swansea or Cardiff? No they are not. Although i do not know why you used these figures. Wales football has sold out legoland once. Wales get 70000 plus in the millenium almost every game. Below the regional level there is a large parochial following at many clubs including the likes of Pontypridd etc below that you have Pontypool etc etc. that without looking at the smaller clubs. Five Thousand turned out to watch Wales train in North Wales a few weeks ago. Wales rugby shirts are a massive seller too. Do not know why it has to be a competition tho.

Doesn't have to be a competition. I enjoy rugby in the same way as most others do when there is an international on and id like to see more people turning up at the Ospreys.

Just pointing out that it is in no way our national sport. You can't have a part time national sport
Young lad in the east stand on 15:28 - Sep 1 with 1553 viewsJackSomething

So even if you're right and we are perceived by other countries to have rugby as our national game, what does that matter? If the reality is that far more people play and watch football (which it is), what effect does that outdated view have on football in Wales?

More pertinently to your original point, how would that effect youngsters in Swansea choosing to support a different football team?
[Post edited 1 Sep 2015 15:38]

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Young lad in the east stand on 15:34 - Sep 1 with 1543 viewsTrundle10

I think any sane person in the world would disagree. We are on a football site tho so i suppose that has got to be taken into account too. Rugby is bigger than football in Wales. You can insert as many proviso's as you like. There is a place for both tho. I was there with a few thousand others at the vetch. We are doing great now as you are aware. However Cardiff have mothballed their stand. Like i said Wales teams are the yardstick and there is no comparison and that comes from someone who prefers football.
Young lad in the east stand on 15:35 - Sep 1 with 1540 viewsJackSomething

Wales are a fixture in the top ten in international rugby rankings, making them an attractive proposition. Of course Fiji and Scotland are in the top ten too, which says something about the lack of competition. Wales get to play in the major tournaments automatically, with one of those tournaments being an annual event.

Wales have recently entered the top 10 in football and are close to qualifying for a major tournament for the first time in almost 60 years. Last time we came close, we sold out the Millenium easily and would do so again if we were playing there now.

Just because the very top level of rugby attracts strong attendances/interest, that's no way to measure it's popularity across the country. Official figures show there are far more people playing and watching football at all levels than rugby. If we have to have a national sport (which I don't feel we do) and it is determined by being the most popular among the biggest number of people, then football wins in a landslide.

Young lad in the east stand on 15:38 - Sep 1 with 1529 viewsjasper_T

Young lad in the east stand on 15:34 - Sep 1 by Trundle10

I think any sane person in the world would disagree. We are on a football site tho so i suppose that has got to be taken into account too. Rugby is bigger than football in Wales. You can insert as many proviso's as you like. There is a place for both tho. I was there with a few thousand others at the vetch. We are doing great now as you are aware. However Cardiff have mothballed their stand. Like i said Wales teams are the yardstick and there is no comparison and that comes from someone who prefers football.

Half the football fans in Wales are glory-supporting Liverpool and United. Not a fair comparison.
Young lad in the east stand on 15:47 - Sep 1 with 1520 viewsDewi1jack

Wales rugby only sells out the Millennium against top sides.
Wales v Japan about 35,000, V South Africa 27,000 ish, v Argentina around the 38,000 mark. There are an awful lot of these figures floating around if you wish to check.
Swansea v Reading- over 40,000 just to put that into perspective

Wales football has until recently, always had die hard football fans attending the games. Not people just out for the social side (p1ss up while not even pretending to understand rugby.)
Or people who only wanted to claim "I was there."
Although we did have 600,000 of these for the 'Ull to stay in the league game and about another 7,000,000 who were at Wemberlee to watch Scot Dobbie keep supplying Scott Sinclair

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Young lad in the east stand on 15:48 - Sep 1 with 1519 viewsjack247

Young lad in the east stand on 15:34 - Sep 1 by Trundle10

There are no provisos. People play and watch football every week.

The Welsh rugby team is an enigma. Put a red shirt on them and thousands will turn up to watch them open an envelope. Put a black shirt on them and they will get a smaller attendance than we did for York. The real rugby fans watch their team play every week, people who just watch internationals are not real rugby fans.

Cardiff may have mothballed their stadium, but they still get a hell of a lot more fans the Blues do. Despite playing in the rugby equivalent of the Premier and Champions League.

Wales games are in no way the yardstick. Year round participation (playing or watching) is.
Young lad in the east stand on 17:37 - Sep 1 with 1476 viewsTrundle10

Young lad in the east stand on 15:48 - Sep 1 by jack247

There are no provisos. People play and watch football every week.

The Welsh rugby team is an enigma. Put a red shirt on them and thousands will turn up to watch them open an envelope. Put a black shirt on them and they will get a smaller attendance than we did for York. The real rugby fans watch their team play every week, people who just watch internationals are not real rugby fans.

Cardiff may have mothballed their stadium, but they still get a hell of a lot more fans the Blues do. Despite playing in the rugby equivalent of the Premier and Champions League.

Wales games are in no way the yardstick. Year round participation (playing or watching) is.

to suit your argument..... heres another then...... ask the entire welsh population whther they would prefer Wales Rugby to win the world cup or Wales football to win the euro's..... it would not even be close my friend.
Young lad in the east stand on 17:49 - Sep 1 with 1458 viewsperchrockjack

It doesn't affect us at all. Its simply an observation and opinion as to what is our national game. Whether it is or not is a matter for argument in pubs and this site where people can call each other kunts .

The point, yet another ,spectacularly missed.

Look at the Title and see where this went

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Young lad in the east stand on 18:15 - Sep 1 with 1447 viewsjack247

Young lad in the east stand on 17:37 - Sep 1 by Trundle10

to suit your argument..... heres another then...... ask the entire welsh population whther they would prefer Wales Rugby to win the world cup or Wales football to win the euro's..... it would not even be close my friend.

That isn't the point and you know it. You are classing people that don't really care as real fans.

If people genuinely cared about rugby, the 70,000 that fill the Millenium Stadium (and I don't doubt there would be more if it was bigger) and the hundreds if thousands that watched on TV actually went to watch regional rugby or their local teams every week, the Ospreys would fill the Liberty, the Blues would still play at the CCS, they WRU would have a decent TV deal and the best players wouldn't be playing in England and France.

By all means come up with a stat about Sam Warburton having more twitter followers than Ashley Williams or something, but Welsh rugby is superficially big. I can quite understand the perception from overseas, but for anyone who lives here to think it is bigger than football when the most succesful region are selling season tickets for under £200 and have to close half the ground due to attendences is laughably naive.
Young lad in the east stand on 18:25 - Sep 1 with 1432 viewsJackUlation

Young lad in the east stand on 14:21 - Sep 1 by ScoobyWho

Are you sure they were in the east stand ?

yes East stand That is where I sit......
Young lad in the east stand on 18:28 - Sep 1 with 1420 viewsjack247

Young lad in the east stand on 17:49 - Sep 1 by perchrockjack

It doesn't affect us at all. Its simply an observation and opinion as to what is our national game. Whether it is or not is a matter for argument in pubs and this site where people can call each other kunts .

Well yes, but when you say things like 'But its not our national game many will opine, which is crap of course.' You are kind of passing fallacy (in my opinion) off as fact.

I think you kind of pre-answered anyway when you asked about the Ospreys attendances.

You are right, this has gone way off topic and on the original point, I agree with you completely. There is something intangible about supporting your local team, or at least a team you have a genuine connection to, that the vast majority of Man United supporters will never understand. It is everyone's right to support who they want of course, but no-one, 6 years old or otherwise, should be allowed in the East Stand wearing an away top for a competitive match. His parents should at least have had the common sense to dress him neutrally.
Young lad in the east stand on 18:42 - Sep 1 with 1391 viewsDewi1jack

Young lad in the east stand on 18:28 - Sep 1 by jack247

Well yes, but when you say things like 'But its not our national game many will opine, which is crap of course.' You are kind of passing fallacy (in my opinion) off as fact.

I think you kind of pre-answered anyway when you asked about the Ospreys attendances.

You are right, this has gone way off topic and on the original point, I agree with you completely. There is something intangible about supporting your local team, or at least a team you have a genuine connection to, that the vast majority of Man United supporters will never understand. It is everyone's right to support who they want of course, but no-one, 6 years old or otherwise, should be allowed in the East Stand wearing an away top for a competitive match. His parents should at least have had the common sense to dress him neutrally.

Agreed.
Anyone caught in the home end at any ground in an away team shirt (that the home team is playing) should be at the very least, ejected.
The kiddy shouldn't get a slap, that should go to the parents for their abject stupidity.
As for any adult following the away team from the home end, all's fair as some have found out over the last few seasons.
Keep quiet and you'll get away with it. Mouth off or celebrate an away goal, then don't play the "victim" card if you get hurt before the stewards can get to you.
If a kiddy turning up in the stadium watching us play (for instance) Bournemouth, is wearing a Liverpool shirt, fair enough. Not happy with it, but fair enough
Maybe the only way to get the kiddy interested
Up to us to make him want a Swans shirt and allow his parents to use his liverpool shirt as a dish cloth.
Again, if an adult was to do it, totally different

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Young lad in the east stand on 18:44 - Sep 1 with 1387 viewsJackSomething

Young lad in the east stand on 17:49 - Sep 1 by perchrockjack

Trouble is Perch, your posts usually have no point that anyone can tell, or you change your point depending on how badly you're losing the argument.

Young lad in the east stand on 19:12 - Sep 1 with 1349 viewsTrundle10

Young lad in the east stand on 18:15 - Sep 1 by jack247

That isn't the point and you know it. You are classing people that don't really care as real fans.

If people genuinely cared about rugby, the 70,000 that fill the Millenium Stadium (and I don't doubt there would be more if it was bigger) and the hundreds if thousands that watched on TV actually went to watch regional rugby or their local teams every week, the Ospreys would fill the Liberty, the Blues would still play at the CCS, they WRU would have a decent TV deal and the best players wouldn't be playing in England and France.

By all means come up with a stat about Sam Warburton having more twitter followers than Ashley Williams or something, but Welsh rugby is superficially big. I can quite understand the perception from overseas, but for anyone who lives here to think it is bigger than football when the most succesful region are selling season tickets for under £200 and have to close half the ground due to attendences is laughably naive.

A lot of people are totally uninterested in the regions. Totally disenfranchised which makes yours a mute point. Swimming is the biggest participation sport in England. What is their national sport??
Young lad in the east stand on 20:48 - Sep 1 with 1310 viewsdailew

Young lad in the east stand on 17:37 - Sep 1 by Trundle10

Or Wales rugby to win the 6 nations or wales football to win the world cup.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024