Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique 08:11 - Jul 26 with 38289 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bienvenue mes amis!

Will be glued to the screen for the next few weeks, watching anything and everything. The Olympics are my favourite sporting event ever since I got hooked on the 1972 games.

Arrived in Paris yesterday. Amazing to see so many French people smiling, being polite, and offering service without the Gallic shrug of indifference!

I know Derby is up next week, anyone else visiting? If so, lets reserve tables at the Georges V and push on from there.

Allez les Brits!!

Edit: weather not looking good for the OC tonight.
[Post edited 26 Jul 8:20]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 08:23 - Jul 26 with 7010 viewsBexleyHoop

One of my daughter's is travelling out today for the weekend and the opening of the games. Already she has experienced delays due to vandalism to the rail lines outside Paris.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cxe24vg59lzt

I do worry that there is going to be lots of protests and disruption due to the political turmoil in France at present during the Olympics.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 08:39 - Jul 26 with 6960 viewsDWQPR

Managed to get tickets two days before the opening ceremony of London 2012, cost £5 short of a K and is still to this day some of the best money I’ve ever spent. A fantastic night that I’ll never forget. And the atmosphere around the country for those four weeks including the paralympics was brilliant. Looking forward to the competition over the next few weeks which I hope passes without issue.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 08:40 - Jul 26 with 6984 viewsMrSheen

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 08:23 - Jul 26 by BexleyHoop

One of my daughter's is travelling out today for the weekend and the opening of the games. Already she has experienced delays due to vandalism to the rail lines outside Paris.

I do worry that there is going to be lots of protests and disruption due to the political turmoil in France at present during the Olympics.

The threatened mass poo in the Seine turned out to be air chaud so maybe it won’t be so bad (unless le cover-up is in operation).
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 08:51 - Jul 26 with 6965 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 08:23 - Jul 26 by BexleyHoop

Lots of coordinated acts on the rail network this morning.

We were delayed yesterday, missing our connecting train in Bordeaux, because of vandalism on the line near Montpellier. Today, its worse as more atracks on the day lots of French people also go on their holidays.

My money is on Putin. Last week France extradited some Russians.

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 09:03 - Jul 26 with 6947 viewsBristolR

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 08:51 - Jul 26 by PlanetHonneywood

Lots of coordinated acts on the rail network this morning.

We were delayed yesterday, missing our connecting train in Bordeaux, because of vandalism on the line near Montpellier. Today, its worse as more atracks on the day lots of French people also go on their holidays.

My money is on Putin. Last week France extradited some Russians.

BBC reporting as a “massive attack”…hope everyone is safe from harm

Ahem
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 10:00 - Jul 26 with 6866 viewsSydneyRs

Usually love the olympics but not the first few days of bloody swimming because Australia is obsessed with it. I'll be more into it next week.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 10:15 - Jul 26 with 6833 viewsstevec

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 10:00 - Jul 26 by SydneyRs

Usually love the olympics but not the first few days of bloody swimming because Australia is obsessed with it. I'll be more into it next week.

Yes, it starts for me when the swimming ends.

The only watchable part was when a small third world country might enter a lad who’s only just learnt to swim but apparently they’ve banned that as well now.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 10:23 - Jul 26 with 6818 viewsrrrspricey

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 10:15 - Jul 26 by stevec

Yes, it starts for me when the swimming ends.

The only watchable part was when a small third world country might enter a lad who’s only just learnt to swim but apparently they’ve banned that as well now.

Like this guy

Login to get fewer ads

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 10:27 - Jul 26 with 6783 viewsLandshark

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 08:39 - Jul 26 by DWQPR

Managed to get tickets two days before the opening ceremony of London 2012, cost £5 short of a K and is still to this day some of the best money I’ve ever spent. A fantastic night that I’ll never forget. And the atmosphere around the country for those four weeks including the paralympics was brilliant. Looking forward to the competition over the next few weeks which I hope passes without issue.

I lived in East London during the 2012 games, there was such a buzz around the city. It was great. I hope Parisians are having the same feeling but I feel it might be slightly muted with the terrorism being on the highest alert there and lots of army/police deployed in the city.

In other news did you see this...a hockey player broke his finger 2 weeks ago, it would have ruled him out of the Olympics so he decided instead to CHOP HIS BLOODY FINGER OFF! If he doesn't win gold is it going to be worth it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckmg7ngkgjeo
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 10:29 - Jul 26 with 6797 viewsChrisNW6

Slightly off topic but watched the Linford Christie doc last night and can't belive how degrading and disrespectful the British press were in the 80/90s. You could see how hurt he was and would never happen to a white athlete.

Use of nutritional substances was a problem an it ruined his legacy but he was an amazing competitor and passed all the drug tests in his prime.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:00 - Jul 26 with 6750 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 10:00 - Jul 26 by SydneyRs

Never a truer word.

I worked at the 1991 World Championships in Perth. Fook my boots, you'd think the future of 'stralia depended upon it.

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:23 - Jul 26 with 6616 viewsSheffieldHoop

Love the Olympics
But I've had enough of Paris over the years and 20+ visits. Also my mate I usually stay with has moved up to Normandy, so I've lost my billet by Oberkampf metro.
Not making any effort to go to this one, but might go to LA in 4 years if the stars align.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:37 - Jul 26 with 6660 viewsChrisNW6

Love it all, including the events we do well in Swimming, Cycling, BMX, Sailing, Triathlon, Equestrian and especially Athletics.

Dissappointing the Boxing team getting smaller each year but I'm sure we will get a couple of medals.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:58 - Jul 26 with 6548 viewsSheffieldHoop

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:37 - Jul 26 by ChrisNW6

Love it all, including the events we do well in Swimming, Cycling, BMX, Sailing, Triathlon, Equestrian and especially Athletics.

Dissappointing the Boxing team getting smaller each year but I'm sure we will get a couple of medals.

Yeah I'll also do more or less any sport if there's an Olympic gold at the end. Particularly the stuff I don't see at any other time, last couple of days have chosen Rugby 7s and Handball over the football because, frankly, we see enough football year-round. I also still haven't really got to the bottom of what happened in that Argentina v Morocco match, which sounded mental.

The boxing has been controversial at the Olympics for years. Some skullduggery has gone on in the past IMO. Including at London 2012 to our benefit. And Rio where a couple of our boxers got shafted. I was at Delicious Orie's Commonwealth final 2 years ago, so have a keen eye on him.

Really looking forward to Speed climbing, 3v3 basketball, skateboarding......Some of the new sports are really good. I also find the swimming part boring (Unless GB wins) - Diving is the best of the pool action for me.

The Paris 2024 app is very useful for bookmarking events and stuff, annoyingly I'm in Munich and going to miss most of next week, but expecting the opening ceremony tonight to be spectacular.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 12:16 - Jul 26 with 6580 viewsChrisNW6

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:58 - Jul 26 by SheffieldHoop

Yeah I'll also do more or less any sport if there's an Olympic gold at the end. Particularly the stuff I don't see at any other time, last couple of days have chosen Rugby 7s and Handball over the football because, frankly, we see enough football year-round. I also still haven't really got to the bottom of what happened in that Argentina v Morocco match, which sounded mental.

The boxing has been controversial at the Olympics for years. Some skullduggery has gone on in the past IMO. Including at London 2012 to our benefit. And Rio where a couple of our boxers got shafted. I was at Delicious Orie's Commonwealth final 2 years ago, so have a keen eye on him.

Really looking forward to Speed climbing, 3v3 basketball, skateboarding......Some of the new sports are really good. I also find the swimming part boring (Unless GB wins) - Diving is the best of the pool action for me.

The Paris 2024 app is very useful for bookmarking events and stuff, annoyingly I'm in Munich and going to miss most of next week, but expecting the opening ceremony tonight to be spectacular.

I am in Spain for all of it, so will rely on BBC for updates and try and time stuff around the big gold medal shouts.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:17 - Jul 26 with 6506 viewscolinallcars

Always liked the Olympics….
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:37 - Jul 26 with 6474 viewsMrSheen

Alan Pardew’s sister coaching Canada.

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:44 - Jul 26 with 6464 viewsLogman

Not interested. Most of the medals are won by the countries who spend the most on training their competitors and I have no interest in the marginal sports which competitors win because they are lucky enough to have the time and money to spend all year practicing. Doesn't suprise me that the games are susceptible to sabotage either given the money that is involved. Additionally, I'm not convinced that these major sporting events lead to a long term increase in participation at the level they should be. Grass roots level is where it's at.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:23 - Jul 26 with 6420 viewscolinallcars

On the BBC ads for the games they play a lovely old French passion song by, I think maybe Edith Piaf and then obliterate it with synthesised noise.
Anyone know what it is ?
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:35 - Jul 26 with 6374 viewsLandshark

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:23 - Jul 26 by colinallcars

On the BBC ads for the games they play a lovely old French passion song by, I think maybe Edith Piaf and then obliterate it with synthesised noise.
Anyone know what it is ?

This one? According to the song recognising function on my phone it is indeed Edit Piaf and the song is called 'Interview /Hymne a l'amour'

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:38 - Jul 26 with 6395 viewscolinallcars

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:35 - Jul 26 by Landshark

This one? According to the song recognising function on my phone it is indeed Edit Piaf and the song is called 'Interview /Hymne a l'amour'

Thanks, I'll check, I remember hearing that song as a nipper, but never found out exactly what it was.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:46 - Jul 26 with 6381 viewsNov77

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 15:01 - Jul 26 with 6364 viewsMrSheen

In case you were wondering...
https://www.wsj.com/sports/olympics/swimming-paris-games-pool-780dd98f?st=lmab2e
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 15:36 - Jul 26 with 6316 viewsBlackCrowe

Yes need protection

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 16:01 - Jul 26 with 6289 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:44 - Jul 26 by Logman

Not interested. Most of the medals are won by the countries who spend the most on training their competitors and I have no interest in the marginal sports which competitors win because they are lucky enough to have the time and money to spend all year practicing. Doesn't suprise me that the games are susceptible to sabotage either given the money that is involved. Additionally, I'm not convinced that these major sporting events lead to a long term increase in participation at the level they should be. Grass roots level is where it's at.

You're simply going to hate football.
[Post edited 26 Jul 16:05]

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024