Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match attendance — 3 questions. 17:42 - Mar 20 with 14222 viewsA_Newby

I attend virtually every home game and sit in the main stand. Over this season as I have looked across to the Pearl Street stand there appears to be fewer and fewer fans there. Those in the Pearl Street may look across at the main stand and think the same.

However, when the match attendance figures are announced the home support figure seems to stay steady.

Does anybody know how the attendance / home attendance figures are calculated? Is it actual numbers of people passing through the gates (tallied automatically) or is it the number of season card holders plus the number of match day tickets sold?

Next season, come what may, would it make economic sense to only sell season cards for the main stand and Sandy terrace and potentially mothball the Pearl Street, only to be used if we were to get a massive FA cup tie?

What do current season card holders think of this, in particular those who sit in the Pearl Street stand?

Next season, again no matter what league we are in, there is likely to be a need to reassess the prices of our season cards. I think that the price will have to at least remain the same or even be increased.

In January this year I looked at what the other clubs in league 2 charge for season cards and compared them to the Dale. In general, we were cheaper than all clubs except Salford, although it is difficult to directly compare as each club has its own age categories.

One thing that was evident was that whilst Dale has 5 main age categories, prices shown below for the main stand, most other clubs also have a category of “young adult” between youth and adult categories with a price located between the two.

Dale Prices Main Stand
Young children Free
Junior 11 and under £35.00
Youth 12 to 21 £85.00
Adult 22 to 64 £310.00
Senior 65 and over £260.00

Our problem is that a young person supporting the Dale when going from 21 to 22 years of age, sees an off-putting massive increase in season card price in a single jump from £85.00 to £310.00 which other clubs avoid.

To encourage our young adult supporters to remain loyal I would suggest that we too need a young adult category (22-25) even if it means slightly higher prices for the other categories. Any thoughts?

PS No, I wouldn’t fall into the young adult category, and it would be at least 7 years before any of my young Dale supporting relatives reach that age.
Match attendance — 3 questions. on 10:09 - Mar 21 with 2866 viewsJames1980

On season ticket pricing I feel the board are in a very difficult position. If prices go up by the naysayers will be out in force berating them. If they keep prices the same or even put them down there will be a hit to the funds if not enough folk purchase a season ticket.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 10:11 - Mar 21 with 2860 viewsD_Alien

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 09:12 - Mar 21 by fourfourtwo

Presuming/Assuming anything at present with the current set up would be an dangerous game in my opinion.

We are so in the dark, only the lord knows exactly what is going on within Spotland at present.

I have never felt such a lack of faith with the club & the set up as I presently do.

It's not - or perhaps shouldn't be - about "faith" in the club. It's a business of course, albeit a sporting one. Its community value extends beyond the sporting sphere, and that's what must be protected

Support, at least in my view, is about protecting and nurturing that value. Its fans are Its greatest asset. Unless you take them with you, the asset is being diminished

We can't let that happen

[Post edited 21 Mar 2023 11:48]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 10:33 - Mar 21 with 2792 viewsAtThePeake

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 20:11 - Mar 20 by EllDale

I wrote on another thread a few months ago that, should Dale be relegated, the Willbutts Lane stand would probably be mothballed unless the visiting club eg Chesterfield or Halifax may be expected to bring over a thousand fans with them.
Having said that, the Pearl Street End were in fine voice last Saturday.
One pricing category I’ve seen at other clubs this season is where season ticket holders at other clubs enjoy a discounted rate eg £10 for attending midweek matches.
The question of season ticket prices can surely only be calculated once the club has decided how much they want to charge for admission to single games though.
How much do they think people will pay to watch Wealdstone or Dorking?

Rochdale fans aren't paying to watch Wealdstone or Dorking though are they? Just like they aren't paying to watch Crawley or Harrogate. They're paying to watch Rochdale.

The fact we've dropped down a league should definitely be reflected in the price but it's not like we're playing glamorous opponents week in week out in League Two either really.

Tangled up in blue.

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 10:36 - Mar 21 with 2782 views442Dale

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 09:12 - Mar 21 by fourfourtwo

Presuming/Assuming anything at present with the current set up would be an dangerous game in my opinion.

We are so in the dark, only the lord knows exactly what is going on within Spotland at present.

I have never felt such a lack of faith with the club & the set up as I presently do.

This sort of feeling of uncertainty was behind many fans expressing that a useful first step in addressing it would be to meet the Trust.

Hopefully this can be sorted and you can attend once it is.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 10:52 - Mar 21 with 2761 viewsDaleiLama

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 10:36 - Mar 21 by 442Dale

This sort of feeling of uncertainty was behind many fans expressing that a useful first step in addressing it would be to meet the Trust.

Hopefully this can be sorted and you can attend once it is.

The numbers AND the letters?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 10:57 - Mar 21 with 2750 viewsA_Newby

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 22:49 - Mar 20 by EllDale

Interesting to see that season tickets for over 70s are free at Boreham Wood. I suspect that fan demographics in certain parts of Spotland would rule out that idea as the club would lose too much money!
What would people consider to be a fair price for a season ticket next season bearing in mind the comparisons on that link?
I think that Dale fans may have been spoilt over recent years although some would say that they’re paying virtually the same price now as they were to watch League One football three years ago!

These are the season card prices since 2011 collated from the RAFC website. Hope the link works.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MgQP2b4R2xAvJQJHzQ_1QPrWy6YXsCQm/view?usp=shari

I paid less for my season card last season than I did 10 years ago.
Match attendance — 3 questions. on 11:11 - Mar 21 with 2718 viewsdawlishdale

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 10:57 - Mar 21 by A_Newby

These are the season card prices since 2011 collated from the RAFC website. Hope the link works.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MgQP2b4R2xAvJQJHzQ_1QPrWy6YXsCQm/view?usp=shari

I paid less for my season card last season than I did 10 years ago.

Yes. Following Colin Garlicks departure, Russ Green came in as CEO and embarked on a programme of reducing Season Ticket prices that increased sales by over 1000 to record numbers and saw the club prosper on and off the pitch.
Sadly, the awful management of the club latterly (pretty much since James Mason was unceremoniously removed by Bottom) has seen levels drop back.

I fear that there will be another huge drop in numbers next season should we drop out of the EFL.
Match attendance — 3 questions. on 11:40 - Mar 21 with 2638 viewsEllDale

I would like to think that the vast majority of existing season ticket holders would buy a ticket for National League football next season provided that any price increase isn't too large.
They are the hardcore.
The problem might come in season two out of the EFL if the team continued to struggle on the pitch.
Login to get fewer ads

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 11:48 - Mar 21 with 2620 viewsA_Newby

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 11:11 - Mar 21 by dawlishdale

Yes. Following Colin Garlicks departure, Russ Green came in as CEO and embarked on a programme of reducing Season Ticket prices that increased sales by over 1000 to record numbers and saw the club prosper on and off the pitch.
Sadly, the awful management of the club latterly (pretty much since James Mason was unceremoniously removed by Bottom) has seen levels drop back.

I fear that there will be another huge drop in numbers next season should we drop out of the EFL.

Yes, I posted something similar on another thread.

Russ Green took season ticket sales in 2016/7 from around 1200 to 2500+.

The following season 2017/8 we had recent record season ticket sales of 2,714.

I have tried to get more details of season ticket sales from the club after this time.

James Mason never had a chance to try and build on the success of Russ Green, he was appointed CEO in October 2018 and was replaced by David Bottomley at the start of December 2018.
Match attendance — 3 questions. on 12:52 - Mar 21 with 2517 viewsTVOS1907

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 11:48 - Mar 21 by A_Newby

I have tried to get more details of season ticket sales from the club after this time.

James Mason never had a chance to try and build on the success of Russ Green, he was appointed CEO in October 2018 and was replaced by David Bottomley at the start of December 2018.

Hi A Newby

It's probably a coincidence, but I was once asked by someone at the club if I had a spreadsheet detailing the breakdown of home and away supporters at Spotland in recent seasons, as part of an analysis on attendance trends.

I do, of course, and was more than happy to let said person have it.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 13:14 - Mar 21 with 2464 views442Dale

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 11:48 - Mar 21 by A_Newby

Russ Green took on the role in August 2016. This was the year there were free (with an admin charge…) season tickets for under 11s, most would have been sold ahead of his arrival.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2016/august/russ-green-appointed-as-rochdale-

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 15:03 - Mar 21 with 2341 viewsblackdogblue

I must admit I use the term Hi...

99.9% of work emails start with it & I have probably done on it on here

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 15:03 - Mar 21 with 2341 viewsDalenet

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 10:09 - Mar 21 by James1980

On season ticket pricing I feel the board are in a very difficult position. If prices go up by the naysayers will be out in force berating them. If they keep prices the same or even put them down there will be a hit to the funds if not enough folk purchase a season ticket.

They need to start by deciding the price of a match day ticket for the national league. Our current £24 is probably too much. Then discount back from there for season card pricing.

The list shared of all the National League prices showed there is a big variation - from sub £200 to £500. I think this next season is the last season where those that had a discount of £35 from the covid season will apply and that needs to be factored in.

Our other non ticket revenue will fall in the league below. There is no point in trying to ruin ticket revenue too. A season card price freeze could be seen as an optimum position to reflect relegation and the challenge of inflation for running the stadium.
Match attendance — 3 questions. on 15:12 - Mar 21 with 2320 viewsblackdogblue

It is a no win situation...

Prices did not plummet when we were relegated from League 1 and funding for the club is being explored as published & debated about outside investment from share sales..

Damned if they do.. damned if they dont ...

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 17:57 - Mar 21 with 2187 viewsnordenblue

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 15:03 - Mar 21 by Dalenet

They need to start by deciding the price of a match day ticket for the national league. Our current £24 is probably too much. Then discount back from there for season card pricing.

The list shared of all the National League prices showed there is a big variation - from sub £200 to £500. I think this next season is the last season where those that had a discount of £35 from the covid season will apply and that needs to be factored in.

Our other non ticket revenue will fall in the league below. There is no point in trying to ruin ticket revenue too. A season card price freeze could be seen as an optimum position to reflect relegation and the challenge of inflation for running the stadium.

Regardless of anyone else's pricing in any leagues, £24 to watch the shite thats been served up at Rochdale for what seems like seasons on end is ridiculously overpriced, for a town notoriously short of money and with the current cost of living its nothing short of obscene.
Match attendance — 3 questions. on 19:06 - Mar 21 with 2097 viewswatford_dale

I have scanned the non league prices and they all sit around the £19 - 22 mark. Its when it gets to conference north that they drop to £10 - 14. I think the season ticket prices are extremely fair and, in theory, represent dynamite value for money from the cost per game, performances may differ from those advertised.

I think the club would be fine to maintain current prices but do not raise them otherwise that may be the point when a drop off in the crowd attendances occurs.
Match attendance — 3 questions. on 19:24 - Mar 21 with 2027 viewsnordenblue

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 19:06 - Mar 21 by watford_dale

I have scanned the non league prices and they all sit around the £19 - 22 mark. Its when it gets to conference north that they drop to £10 - 14. I think the season ticket prices are extremely fair and, in theory, represent dynamite value for money from the cost per game, performances may differ from those advertised.

I think the club would be fine to maintain current prices but do not raise them otherwise that may be the point when a drop off in the crowd attendances occurs.

At the current rate you'd see a natural decrease in crowds.... not quite sure why anyone believes its acceptable to pay the same amount for watching a continuing worsening product on the pitch, whilst still being any real sustainable business model.
Match attendance — 3 questions. on 20:09 - Mar 21 with 1976 viewsEllDale

I believe that a lot of people, myself included, would buy one for next season out of loyalty.
Like I said earlier, if the team isn’t a lot more competitive though then attendances might fall off a cliff in 2024/25.
That’s when the downward spiral that started three years ago would really see Dale in trouble.
Match attendance — 3 questions. on 20:18 - Mar 21 with 1946 viewspioneer

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 19:06 - Mar 21 by watford_dale

On a bit of a tangent but this teally is a measure of how football in England has lost the plot…over 20 quid to watch fifth tier football.
Match attendance — 3 questions. on 07:07 - Mar 22 with 1756 viewsnordenblue

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 20:18 - Mar 21 by pioneer

On a bit of a tangent but this teally is a measure of how football in England has lost the plot…over 20 quid to watch fifth tier football.

Whilst there's that much spare money spilling around at the top level making it possible for some of the top teams to charge similar to watch Premier league level football, its an absolute no brainer for kids setting out.
Match attendance — 3 questions. on 16:24 - Mar 22 with 1495 viewsJames1980

Probably too short notice to organise but could a local business subsidise/sponsor coach travel to Crawley on Saturday.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 17:28 - Mar 22 with 1413 viewsNewbury_Dale

Would love to know who A_Newby really is. Knows far too much to be a run of the mill supporter.
Match attendance — 3 questions. on 19:09 - Mar 22 with 1301 viewsA_Newby

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 13:14 - Mar 21 by 442Dale

Russ Green took on the role in August 2016. This was the year there were free (with an admin charge…) season tickets for under 11s, most would have been sold ahead of his arrival.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2016/august/russ-green-appointed-as-rochdale-

Sorry in my last post, as pointed out by 442, I have mixed up the seasons a bit.

Russ Green took our season ticket sales to over 2500 in the 2017/8 season, up from around 1200 in the 2016/7 season.

The following season 2018/19 was our record year with 2,714 season tickets sold.

From Simon Gauge promoting this season’s season cards.

“Our record season card holder level was 2018/19 when the club sold 2,714. In the last 20 years, the club has only sold over 2,500 season cards on three occasions, in 2017/18, 2018/19 and 2019/20. My call to all supporters is to surpass the 2,500 number again for 2022/23.”

Below is a link to an updated version of the Dale season card document.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-KU_6MRlph17CIFX6KAyJz8VxV7JTMu7/view?usp=shari
Match attendance — 3 questions. on 19:20 - Mar 22 with 1265 viewsDalenet

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 19:09 - Mar 22 by A_Newby

Sorry in my last post, as pointed out by 442, I have mixed up the seasons a bit.

Russ Green took our season ticket sales to over 2500 in the 2017/8 season, up from around 1200 in the 2016/7 season.

The following season 2018/19 was our record year with 2,714 season tickets sold.

“Our record season card holder level was 2018/19 when the club sold 2,714. In the last 20 years, the club has only sold over 2,500 season cards on three occasions, in 2017/18, 2018/19 and 2019/20. My call to all supporters is to surpass the 2,500 number again for 2022/23.”

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-KU_6MRlph17CIFX6KAyJz8VxV7JTMu7/view?usp=shari

If we applied inflation to the 2011 prices we'd need to charge over £500 now !!!!
Match attendance — 3 questions. on 19:30 - Mar 22 with 1238 views442Dale

Match attendance — 3 questions. on 19:09 - Mar 22 by A_Newby

It’s acknowledged the pricing policy Green helped bring in and supported by the board when Dunphy was chairman saw season ticket sales leap. They’ve remained similar in price since and numbers have dropped through two further regimes at the club, meanwhile the team’s results on the pitch have got worse.
Did you establish the exact numbers sold for 21/22 and 22/23?

Back to an earlier point, it’s probably more important to establish what the club’s plans are for season tickets next year.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2023 19:32]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024