Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Olympics 21:04 - Jul 23 with 1183 viewsSaintNick

I havent really taken much notice of it and its crept up on me, do we have a chance for any medals

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Olympics on 21:21 - Jul 23 with 1162 viewsSalisburySaint

Over at brothers in France, I hadn’t thought much about it either.

We checked out events this morning and now off to Bordeaux on Saturday to watch Spain v Dominican Republic in football, Tickets 20 euros
Olympics on 08:45 - Jul 24 with 991 viewskingslandstand1

We did in Dressage apparently - well up until last night due to something that happened 4 years ago!
Shame, she'd have been most successful British female Olympian
Olympics on 09:31 - Jul 24 with 963 views1885_SFC

Olympics on 08:45 - Jul 24 by kingslandstand1

We did in Dressage apparently - well up until last night due to something that happened 4 years ago!

Yeah, shame that. When I saw the news headlines of a horse being abused, I immediately thought of that lot along the M27, but it wasn't so.

Old School is Cool

Olympics on 11:33 - Jul 24 with 915 viewssaintmark1976

Olympics on 09:31 - Jul 24 by 1885_SFC

Yeah, shame that. When I saw the news headlines of a horse being abused, I immediately thought of that lot along the M27, but it wasn't so.

Dressage must be one of the most utterly pointless so called “ sports” in the whole Olympics particularly if you have to brutally whip a defenceless animal before you can succeed.

Out of interest, what ever happened to the Portsmouth dip stick that punched a police horse before the last time we beat them 4-0 ?

Poll: Should Russell Martin be sacked after saying he won’t compromise?

Olympics on 12:01 - Jul 24 with 899 viewskingslandstand1

Olympics on 11:33 - Jul 24 by saintmark1976

Dressage must be one of the most utterly pointless so called “ sports” in the whole Olympics particularly if you have to brutally whip a defenceless animal before you can succeed.

Out of interest, what ever happened to the Portsmouth dip stick that punched a police horse before the last time we beat them 4-0 ?

I'd like to think that whipping was a one off, but they say horse racing is the sport of kings and look what those jockeys do to get them over the line
But dressage as a sport generally seems to be more about the controlling of the animal which seems to depend on relationship between rider and horse so the top of the tree is those that work the best together? And sport is about being better than your competitors. I'm no fan of the sport but do admire what they can do
However, breakdancing as a sport?? Ffs
Olympics on 12:55 - Jul 24 with 870 viewsWints76

Architecture, poetry, painting and pottery have all been Okympic events in the past. Breakdancing coming in before cricket and Squash not being in does seem odd though
Olympics on 13:06 - Jul 24 with 862 viewsPatfromPoole

Until they bring in proper sports like darts, it is difficult for me to get too excited about this shindig.

To be vaguely serious, watching the recent very good Daley Thompson documentary on the BBC, it struck me just how iconic the Los Angeles Olympics in 1984 was. A proper Olympian venue with great stories like Zola Budd tripping up Mary Decker.

I know people harp on about 2012, but 1984 was where it was at for me.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Olympics on 13:16 - Jul 24 with 861 viewsWints76

Olympics on 13:06 - Jul 24 by PatfromPoole

Until they bring in proper sports like darts, it is difficult for me to get too excited about this shindig.

To be vaguely serious, watching the recent very good Daley Thompson documentary on the BBC, it struck me just how iconic the Los Angeles Olympics in 1984 was. A proper Olympian venue with great stories like Zola Budd tripping up Mary Decker.

Yep, I remember the unexpected relative success of the GB Hockey team, Daley Thompson and especially Mary Lou Retton grabbing 10 year old me's attention
Login to get fewer ads

Olympics on 13:25 - Jul 24 with 857 viewssaintmark1976

Olympics on 12:01 - Jul 24 by kingslandstand1

I'd like to think that whipping was a one off, but they say horse racing is the sport of kings and look what those jockeys do to get them over the line
But dressage as a sport generally seems to be more about the controlling of the animal which seems to depend on relationship between rider and horse so the top of the tree is those that work the best together? And sport is about being better than your competitors. I'm no fan of the sport but do admire what they can do
However, breakdancing as a sport?? Ffs

Slight difference being kingslandstand1 in that the jockey club enforces strict rules as to the type of whip and the number of times a jockey can use it in any one race. Any jockey found guilty of breaking the rules usually receives an immediate ban which obviously restricts his or her ability to earn money.

As for dressage,I simply can’t understand why anybody can obtain pleasure from training a beautiful free spirited animal to perform tricks which if they were performed in a circus environment would almost certainly be classed as pointless. Indeed, isn’t the use of animals in circuses currently banned in the UK ?

Reference the Olympics generally. I stopped being interested when the amount of competitor drug taken became common knowledge, starting years back when ( a Canadian ? ) with eye pupals the size of saucers won the hundred meters by about two seconds.

Every day is a school day as the saying goes so is breakdancing really part of the Olympics nowadays?

Poll: Should Russell Martin be sacked after saying he won’t compromise?

Olympics on 14:25 - Jul 24 with 816 viewsNewdawn2014

I hope the RSPCA get involved , there is never a need to abuse an animal.
Olympics on 14:52 - Jul 24 with 774 viewsmushinexile

To expect Gold in the dressage now would be like flogging - oh, never mind.
Olympics on 14:58 - Jul 24 with 769 viewskingslandstand1

Olympics on 13:25 - Jul 24 by saintmark1976

Slight difference being kingslandstand1 in that the jockey club enforces strict rules as to the type of whip and the number of times a jockey can use it in any one race. Any jockey found guilty of breaking the rules usually receives an immediate ban which obviously restricts his or her ability to earn money.

As for dressage,I simply can’t understand why anybody can obtain pleasure from training a beautiful free spirited animal to perform tricks which if they were performed in a circus environment would almost certainly be classed as pointless. Indeed, isn’t the use of animals in circuses currently banned in the UK ?

Reference the Olympics generally. I stopped being interested when the amount of competitor drug taken became common knowledge, starting years back when ( a Canadian ? ) with eye pupals the size of saucers won the hundred meters by about two seconds.

Every day is a school day as the saying goes so is breakdancing really part of the Olympics nowadays?

I am with you regarding watching the dressage, boring as fk, but the horses are well presented and look in good nick so one assumes they are looked after (generally) but as proven in this current case, you don't know what goes on behind the scenes, though one does wonder how/why a 4 year old video should come out right now - timing or what, or just vindictive for some reason!

And regarding Breakdancing, well see below!

https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/sports/breaking

https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/sports/breaking
Olympics on 15:02 - Jul 24 with 768 viewsmushinexile

Wonder which betting syndicate has wagered against her? Rishi? Looks like sabotage to this mush.
[Post edited 24 Jul 15:03]
Olympics on 15:23 - Jul 24 with 751 viewsHeisenberg

Dancing horses in the Olympics is ridiculous.

Whats next ? Pigeon racing ? Monkey Tennis ?

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Olympics on 17:06 - Jul 24 with 565 viewsTripleNiemi

Nuts isn’t it - ‘one’ can get medals for beating an animal into submission. Never understood Dressage, how the fcuk can someone win a medal for something the animal has done

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Olympics on 17:07 - Jul 24 with 563 viewsTripleNiemi

Olympics on 13:06 - Jul 24 by PatfromPoole

Jocky Wilson (RIP) would have got Britain a couple of medals in puffing and booze

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024