Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Migrant/Refugee crisis 11:04 - Sep 4 with 61285 viewsDeano19766

Just a thought on this subject which is all over the news saying we are a disgrace and should do more to help -

Oxford English Dictionary definition of Refugee - "A person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster". So when a person flees their country for those reasons they are a refugee (and that is of course a terrible thing to happen to anyone and is yet another sad fact about humanity as a species). However, it could (and should) then be implied that once a 'refugee' passes through a 'safe' country then (s)he is no longer a refugee but a migrant, and most likely a migrant for economic reasons. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but all this rhetoric about taking in 'refugees' is completely misguided or a (deliberate?) misinterpretation of the facts IMO. If people wish to show their support for accommodating these people then that is of course their prerogative, but they should at least be clear that that they support accommodating 'economic migrants' as opposed to 'refugees' (although that would be far less sensationalist and may not suit their agenda).
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 10:23 - Sep 6 with 2588 viewsDiscodroids

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 10:16 - Sep 6 by QPR_Jim

Just highlighting that your comments seem to suggest that all these immigrants go around trying to kill eachother and if we have any more come here they will do the same. Perhaps some of the immigrants you meet do but that's a result of your job, not a result of how an average immigrant family would behaves.

my case load is over 80% (and increasing) From eastern europe and african states from being approx 20% 5 years ago . I know its unpalatable for certain parts of ourleft leaning society to digest , but sitting at my desk dealing with it on a daily basis, why should i care what that demographic thinks.

i dont give a flying for their sensitivities. Hope im clear on that. I feel politicians would benefit from a bit a field work, not sanitized walk a bouts shaking peoples hand with a showroom dummies appendage.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2015 10:24]

A Number One.

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 10:46 - Sep 6 with 2532 viewsDoughnut

To their eternal shame, these goody-goody councils all desdperately tryng to show how 'nice and kind' they are (Facing stiff competition from 'Dave') are wanting to take in these migrants, while we have HOMLESSNESS in the UK!!
I hope you lefties take pause to think about what you are doing, because you are stoking up a shit-storm...even the dead sheep in this country will turn on you eventually, when their fear of being branded racist or un-caring, wears off because they, their children or grandchildren cannot get a job, doctor....House !!
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 10:54 - Sep 6 with 2510 viewseasthertsr

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 10:46 - Sep 6 by Doughnut

To their eternal shame, these goody-goody councils all desdperately tryng to show how 'nice and kind' they are (Facing stiff competition from 'Dave') are wanting to take in these migrants, while we have HOMLESSNESS in the UK!!
I hope you lefties take pause to think about what you are doing, because you are stoking up a shit-storm...even the dead sheep in this country will turn on you eventually, when their fear of being branded racist or un-caring, wears off because they, their children or grandchildren cannot get a job, doctor....House !!

Sorry mate it's not us lefties doing anything, we lost the election!
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 10:55 - Sep 6 with 2506 viewsQPR_Jim

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 10:23 - Sep 6 by Discodroids

my case load is over 80% (and increasing) From eastern europe and african states from being approx 20% 5 years ago . I know its unpalatable for certain parts of ourleft leaning society to digest , but sitting at my desk dealing with it on a daily basis, why should i care what that demographic thinks.

i dont give a flying for their sensitivities. Hope im clear on that. I feel politicians would benefit from a bit a field work, not sanitized walk a bouts shaking peoples hand with a showroom dummies appendage.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2015 10:24]

I think you're missing my point. You seem to be suggesting that all the immigrants would try and kill eachother based on the ones you meet, those being criminals. I am suggesting that you meet the worst of them and your average immigrant probably hasn't tried to kill anyone they are just getting along with a normal life and therefore haven't come through your door.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 10:55 - Sep 6 with 2516 viewsMarc

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 12:17 - Sep 4 by toboboly

Throughout human history people have been attacked and have either fled or fought. If they fought then they would still have a country.

You'd fit right in over on watrb
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 11:08 - Sep 6 with 2487 viewsDiscodroids

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 10:55 - Sep 6 by QPR_Jim

I think you're missing my point. You seem to be suggesting that all the immigrants would try and kill eachother based on the ones you meet, those being criminals. I am suggesting that you meet the worst of them and your average immigrant probably hasn't tried to kill anyone they are just getting along with a normal life and therefore haven't come through your door.

Im not missing your point. The percentage of people that come through my doors are disproporitionatley high drawn from a demographic group.

i.e., I currently have 22% of my case book drawn from a demographic which makes up 7% of the london borough of newhams population.

for all the bluster , piss and vinegar of peoples moral outrage, pouring more numbers from different cultures will not help areas of deprevation such as east london. I will take no lectures from a guardian flow chart or someone who lives in surrey or the cotswalds .

I dont know where you live, but the picture here isnt a rosy utopian display of love beads and kaftans to bob dylan. theres death blood and hate on the streets here, from all sides..and taking the easy option, which cameron has, to cave in for votes will lead to more of the same.

Right, ive got the mother in law coming over in half an hour and im sitting here in my pants so i better get cleaned up!

[Post edited 6 Sep 2015 11:12]

A Number One.

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 11:23 - Sep 6 with 2438 viewsQPR_Jim

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 11:08 - Sep 6 by Discodroids

Im not missing your point. The percentage of people that come through my doors are disproporitionatley high drawn from a demographic group.

i.e., I currently have 22% of my case book drawn from a demographic which makes up 7% of the london borough of newhams population.

for all the bluster , piss and vinegar of peoples moral outrage, pouring more numbers from different cultures will not help areas of deprevation such as east london. I will take no lectures from a guardian flow chart or someone who lives in surrey or the cotswalds .

I dont know where you live, but the picture here isnt a rosy utopian display of love beads and kaftans to bob dylan. theres death blood and hate on the streets here, from all sides..and taking the easy option, which cameron has, to cave in for votes will lead to more of the same.

Right, ive got the mother in law coming over in half an hour and im sitting here in my pants so i better get cleaned up!

[Post edited 6 Sep 2015 11:12]

Yeah you better get cracking.

I had a rebuttal of sorts but it's not worth flashing you mother in law over.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 11:25 - Sep 6 with 2437 viewspaulparker

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 22:43 - Sep 5 by BromleyHoop

Call me cold hearted but I don't find that moving at all. I honestly believe that the Germans are demonstrating the last vestiges of some sort of collective National post WW2 guilt trip. I know that this is widely stated to be the biggest refugee crisis since the end of the Second World War but these refugees/immigrants are a very, very different kettle of fish compared to those after WW2. I know some of them have had a terrible time but lots haven't and are moving for purely economic reasons.

If you want to listen to something truly heart rending then I strongly suggest you listen to accounts of refugee children at the end of the WW2 - 'Lost children of the Holocaust' a recent broadcast on Radio 4. It's still available to listen to on BBC Iplayer and is well worth taking the time to listen to. It made me cry and I don't cry easily.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2015 22:46]

this must be one of the first times ive ever agreed with a post of yours Bromley ,
absolutely bang on, you cannot compare the refugees to those in ww2, those poor souls 70 years ago were in a much difficult and horrendous situation and faced real horrors over most of Europe , there was no escape
if we are to take in more migrants how about we take those in who are already in "camps" in the middle east, not those who aren't storming docks, stoning policemen, surfing lorries or steaming trains , (its funny how they all seem to be young men in there 20's , )
if we are to do it lets go straight to the heart of it and do it that way , maybe that way we wont have gangs of immigrant men hanging around coffee shops and bookies of a day time

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 11:55 - Sep 6 with 2386 viewsdannyblue

A lot of people have quite a hard stance to people fleeing Syria. They should stand and fight, they should stay in overcrowded camps in Turkey or Jordan, they should be grateful for a bottle of water from a Hungarian policeman and they certainly shouldn't have any anger in them whatever trauma they've experienced. They're just chancers. Of course it's nothing like WW2. But, if you will, pause a moment please look at these pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/jaroslav.jindra.961/media_set?set=a.449729828553179.107
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 12:17 - Sep 6 with 2346 views2Thomas2Bowles

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 11:55 - Sep 6 by dannyblue

A lot of people have quite a hard stance to people fleeing Syria. They should stand and fight, they should stay in overcrowded camps in Turkey or Jordan, they should be grateful for a bottle of water from a Hungarian policeman and they certainly shouldn't have any anger in them whatever trauma they've experienced. They're just chancers. Of course it's nothing like WW2. But, if you will, pause a moment please look at these pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/jaroslav.jindra.961/media_set?set=a.449729828553179.107

Yep it's war zone, dreadful as is any war zone, I don't think you will shock many with those images , which I think is your reason for linking them.

However what's the solution ?

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 12:55 - Sep 6 with 2305 viewsdannyblue

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 12:17 - Sep 6 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Yep it's war zone, dreadful as is any war zone, I don't think you will shock many with those images , which I think is your reason for linking them.

However what's the solution ?

There are a lot of posts in this feed which seem pretty unsympathetic to refugees themselves. The photos are less to shock, and more to illustrate that it's not unreasonable to be fleeing such a situation, and not unreasonable to wish to help.

A solution? Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to give you a solution to the problems of conflict in the middle east, the tensions inherent in European cooperation, the ludicrous British housing situation and problems arising from the lack of opportunities among our poorest communities in a post on a QPR message board. Oh that I could.

But a couple shorter-term suggestions along the way...

Process asylum applications for Europe in Jordan and Turkey so people don't feel the need to pay extortionate amounts and put their life in danger to reach somewhere where they can apply for asylum.

Spread the response among the international community to ease the burden on Jordan, Turkey and Greece.

And consider it might be worth running the risk of helping an economic migrant who 'doesn't deserve it' to make sure you don't turn your back on a refugee fleeing terror.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 14:02 - Sep 6 with 2221 viewsBromleyHoop

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 10:54 - Sep 6 by easthertsr

Sorry mate it's not us lefties doing anything, we lost the election!

You are however very adept at influencing aspects of the media. The media can be just as effective as Govt in some circumstances.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:04 - Sep 6 with 2152 viewsDiscodroids

I give it 24 hours before the BBC start playing the Cars ' whose gonna drive you home' during their news broadcasts From Europe.

A Number One.

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:16 - Sep 6 with 2139 views2Thomas2Bowles

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 12:55 - Sep 6 by dannyblue

There are a lot of posts in this feed which seem pretty unsympathetic to refugees themselves. The photos are less to shock, and more to illustrate that it's not unreasonable to be fleeing such a situation, and not unreasonable to wish to help.

A solution? Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to give you a solution to the problems of conflict in the middle east, the tensions inherent in European cooperation, the ludicrous British housing situation and problems arising from the lack of opportunities among our poorest communities in a post on a QPR message board. Oh that I could.

But a couple shorter-term suggestions along the way...

Process asylum applications for Europe in Jordan and Turkey so people don't feel the need to pay extortionate amounts and put their life in danger to reach somewhere where they can apply for asylum.

Spread the response among the international community to ease the burden on Jordan, Turkey and Greece.

And consider it might be worth running the risk of helping an economic migrant who 'doesn't deserve it' to make sure you don't turn your back on a refugee fleeing terror.

I have sympathy, like most I should imagine, for many of the innocent people in Syria but also for the innocent British that were murdered on a beach and hotel.

I don't however think that letting unchecked numbers of migrants walk in to Europe to be the answer, many that look young fit and well

The one that lost his wife and 2 young boys, had been living in Turkey for the last 2+ years, not in direct danger, I have no sympathy for him or many like him that are not in direct danger but put their children in small rubber boats to drown.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:32 - Sep 6 with 2121 viewseasthertsr

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 00:57 - Sep 6 by Hadders

Sometimes being a bleeding heart Guardian-reading QPR fan ain`t easy. At the last count there was me, Robert Elms and about two of you, like Cider with Rosie. Oh, and the chap who does that wonderful This is My England site. Anyone else out there? We`re clearly outnumbered even here - never mind on the We Are the BNP Boys site.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2015 1:11]

Count me in Hadders!
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:36 - Sep 6 with 2112 viewsstowmarketrange

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 14:02 - Sep 6 by BromleyHoop

You are however very adept at influencing aspects of the media. The media can be just as effective as Govt in some circumstances.

Unlike the right wing media bias that peaks around election time with loads of scare stories about every other party and cons the electorate into voting these crooks in for another 5 years.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:41 - Sep 6 with 2097 viewseasthertsr

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 14:02 - Sep 6 by BromleyHoop

Please, not the old left-wing media stuff again! If the media is so left wing and so important why don't Labour win every election?
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:44 - Sep 6 with 2082 viewsBromleyHoop

I grant you that. The media is not difficult to manipulate and worryingly people are extremely easy to manipulate if you put ideas forward in a particular way. Sentiment and suffering children being one way.

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:45 - Sep 6 with 2077 viewsBromleyHoop

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 11:25 - Sep 6 by paulparker

this must be one of the first times ive ever agreed with a post of yours Bromley ,
absolutely bang on, you cannot compare the refugees to those in ww2, those poor souls 70 years ago were in a much difficult and horrendous situation and faced real horrors over most of Europe , there was no escape
if we are to take in more migrants how about we take those in who are already in "camps" in the middle east, not those who aren't storming docks, stoning policemen, surfing lorries or steaming trains , (its funny how they all seem to be young men in there 20's , )
if we are to do it lets go straight to the heart of it and do it that way , maybe that way we wont have gangs of immigrant men hanging around coffee shops and bookies of a day time

Oh gawd. That's very concerning 😉

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:48 - Sep 6 with 2986 viewsizlingtonhoop

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 00:57 - Sep 6 by Hadders

Sometimes being a bleeding heart Guardian-reading QPR fan ain`t easy. At the last count there was me, Robert Elms and about two of you, like Cider with Rosie. Oh, and the chap who does that wonderful This is My England site. Anyone else out there? We`re clearly outnumbered even here - never mind on the We Are the BNP Boys site.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2015 1:11]

Me.

Edit. And I notice you've put me back to zero for saying Holloway talks rubbish. Thankyou.

How anyone can disagree that stating 2.7million people is going to become a majority in this country, over those of us with a christian tradition (personally I'm a rabid atheist, but that's how I would describe my 'tradition') - what's that? 50+ million? - in 85 years time is utter rubbish is beyond me, but Japranger didn't like me saying it, for one reason or another...
[Post edited 6 Sep 2015 15:57]
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:55 - Sep 6 with 2968 viewsstowmarketrange

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:48 - Sep 6 by izlingtonhoop

Me.

Edit. And I notice you've put me back to zero for saying Holloway talks rubbish. Thankyou.

How anyone can disagree that stating 2.7million people is going to become a majority in this country, over those of us with a christian tradition (personally I'm a rabid atheist, but that's how I would describe my 'tradition') - what's that? 50+ million? - in 85 years time is utter rubbish is beyond me, but Japranger didn't like me saying it, for one reason or another...

Me too,although I never buy newspapers now.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:57 - Sep 6 with 2965 viewsizlingtonhoop

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:55 - Sep 6 by stowmarketrange

Me too,although I never buy newspapers now.

Why would anyone? They're free on the internet.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2015 15:58]
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 16:01 - Sep 6 with 2951 viewskensalriser

Me.

You mean Japranger...who presumably is an immigrant where he lives?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 16:08 - Sep 6 with 2925 viewsizlingtonhoop

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 16:01 - Sep 6 by kensalriser

You mean Japranger...who presumably is an immigrant where he lives?

Aye, that'd be the one.

I had that thought
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 16:39 - Sep 6 with 2876 viewsHollowayRanger

Me.

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024