Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Migrant/Refugee crisis 11:04 - Sep 4 with 61284 viewsDeano19766

Just a thought on this subject which is all over the news saying we are a disgrace and should do more to help -

Oxford English Dictionary definition of Refugee - "A person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster". So when a person flees their country for those reasons they are a refugee (and that is of course a terrible thing to happen to anyone and is yet another sad fact about humanity as a species). However, it could (and should) then be implied that once a 'refugee' passes through a 'safe' country then (s)he is no longer a refugee but a migrant, and most likely a migrant for economic reasons. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but all this rhetoric about taking in 'refugees' is completely misguided or a (deliberate?) misinterpretation of the facts IMO. If people wish to show their support for accommodating these people then that is of course their prerogative, but they should at least be clear that that they support accommodating 'economic migrants' as opposed to 'refugees' (although that would be far less sensationalist and may not suit their agenda).
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:29 - Sep 7 with 2448 viewsCHUBBS

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 12:35 - Sep 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

If this thread was a film, it would be Groundhog Day.

If by that you mean lefty loonies expressing their outrage to freedom of opinion and speech with sniping comments at regular intervals,then I have you right Bazza.
I think I've just joined the club😩
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:33 - Sep 7 with 2423 viewsBluce_Ree

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:27 - Sep 7 by Discodroids

Well, its certainly difficult to get the BALANCE RIGHT on this subject and it will be great again to SEE YOU all at the Blackburn Game. Hope in LFW Land you are enjoying your NEW LIFE. Shame i had to LEAVE IN SILENCE a Few weeks ago after the charlton match thread.

When I met the LFW message board I discovered the MEANING OF LOVE again, ITS CALLED A HEART. Funny thing message boards ,it can be a STRANGE LOVE and if someone gets the upper hand the resulting MASTER AND SERVANT relationship that can develop is like looking down THE BARREL OF A GUN . I still will not accept the BLASPHEMOUS RUMOUR that Karl Henry is a professional footballer.

ITS NO GOOD To be honest and that’s ONLY WHEN I LOSE MYSELF and am feeling USELESS. Still enough of the self- CONDEMNATION and i await a quote from Voltaire to quell my fears om migration into the east end.

until then I shall ENJOY THE SILENCE .

[Post edited 7 Sep 2015 13:30]

You are my personal Jesus, Discy.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:34 - Sep 7 with 2417 viewskensalriser

Perhaps we could start by putting them in the empty properties (mostly new builds) bought by foreign investors and never occupied since the day they were finished.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:37 - Sep 7 with 2395 viewszicoshoops

Blimey, this thread still going.

What's going on?

We should be told.

Sort it out.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:55 - Sep 7 with 2350 viewsjohncharles

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:29 - Sep 7 by CHUBBS

If by that you mean lefty loonies expressing their outrage to freedom of opinion and speech with sniping comments at regular intervals,then I have you right Bazza.

Just change "lefty loonies " to. "Lefty loonies and or rabid right " and you have the whole thread in a nutshell.

Strong and stable my arse.

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:57 - Sep 7 with 2288 viewsDiscodroids

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:33 - Sep 7 by Bluce_Ree

You are my personal Jesus, Discy.

ITS JUST A QUESTION OF TIME, until you put me on ignore bluce.Its not nice to be placed on ignore or called names but it is a PAIN THAT I AM USED TO,its JUST A QUESTION OF TIME until im BEHIND THE WHEEL on the way to the nuthouse.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2015 14:05]

A Number One.

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:59 - Sep 7 with 2279 viewsjohncharles

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:29 - Sep 7 by CHUBBS

Some are born intolerant, some become intolerant and some have intolerance thrust upon them.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2015 14:09]

Strong and stable my arse.

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 14:03 - Sep 7 with 2256 viewsrunningman75

I am normally politically liberal minded. However it is very difficult to distinguish between genuine asylum seekers and economic migrants. I heard on the radio this morning that young Pakistani males had gone to Budapest as part of the people now seeking a move to Germany.
Login to get fewer ads

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 14:09 - Sep 7 with 2232 viewspaulparker

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 14:03 - Sep 7 by runningman75

I am normally politically liberal minded. However it is very difficult to distinguish between genuine asylum seekers and economic migrants. I heard on the radio this morning that young Pakistani males had gone to Budapest as part of the people now seeking a move to Germany.

Which if we are to take in more refugees , we should be going straight to the camps,
rather than those or are storming ports, stoning police, bundling in trains etc ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 14:17 - Sep 7 with 2206 viewsWilloW4

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:34 - Sep 7 by kensalriser

Perhaps we could start by putting them in the empty properties (mostly new builds) bought by foreign investors and never occupied since the day they were finished.

Million pound properties... Let's put the refugees in those?!?? WHAT..?! If that's your argument... Put the local people who've been on the waiting list for years first and foremost.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 14:23 - Sep 7 with 2192 viewsDiscodroids

I dont think this country should accept SOME GREAT REWARD for our help to these migrants, i just hope that europe NEVER LETS US DOWN AGAIN, and that we can all SHAKE THE DISEASE of war, which has these migrants seeking a NEW LIFE.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2015 14:24]

A Number One.

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:20 - Sep 7 with 2118 views1BobbyHazell

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 12:05 - Sep 7 by paulparker

Good Post Steve

no point worrying about it anymore , this country is fcuked successive government's have seen to that , we cant even sort out our own people on housing , hospital waiting lists , and schools but yet we are still letting people through,
problem is us plebs don't get the chance to vote on a referendum until 2017
by that stage it will be all to late and even then it will be fixed

id say the best thing is to retire abroad like spain or Cyprus, like me & the missus have planned on , problem is we still have another 20 years to go

I have you right on the 'successive governments f*cking the country' bit PP. Thatcher to Major to Blair to Brown to Cameron. All right leaning, put the power and the money in the hands of the few, sell the rest of us down the river types. Unfortunately a lot of people have now been sold the lie that that is the only 'credible' form of politics. And as you say the more they allowed to do the worse it is going to get. Shame.

Oh and as for the vote on Europe, they will never ever ever ever allow us to vote to leave. Centralised control is far too important to them. They wont take the chance of any real democracy breaking out.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 15:21 - Sep 7 with 2113 viewsQPR_Jim

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 14:17 - Sep 7 by WilloW4

Million pound properties... Let's put the refugees in those?!?? WHAT..?! If that's your argument... Put the local people who've been on the waiting list for years first and foremost.

Maybe we could get an eu grant to convert the old Olympic Park into housing. Not sure if it would work but it would certainly annoy West ham and that's something we should all be happy with.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 16:15 - Sep 7 with 2006 viewsAunt_Nelly

It always makes me chuckle that those bleating loudest on here about immigration are generally of 'foreign stock' or migrants themselves.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 16:27 - Sep 7 with 1974 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 16:15 - Sep 7 by Aunt_Nelly

It always makes me chuckle that those bleating loudest on here about immigration are generally of 'foreign stock' or migrants themselves.

Also:

'there's too many immigrants so I'm moving to Cyprus or Spain'
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 16:32 - Sep 7 with 2628 viewsQPR_John

So not "little Englanders" copyright Gaurdian readers et al
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 16:40 - Sep 7 with 2601 viewsDeano19766

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 14:03 - Sep 7 by runningman75

I read reports this morning that Islamc State have sent hundreds of operatives into Europe posing as 'refugees'. I know a few months ago they threatened to send thousands. Have seen video footage of one bloke at Budapest station approaching the camera and doing a throat slitting gesture. Nice. Time will tell, but all this is going to cause feckin chaos at some point I would imagine
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 16:44 - Sep 7 with 2586 views2Thomas2Bowles

20K over 5 years .

Priority being children.

Are we all satisfied now.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2015 16:47]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 16:57 - Sep 7 with 2532 viewsSpiritofGregory

Those that complain come from people that intergrated, worked hard, respected the country, were grateful and didn't live off the welfare state.

Our politicians are spineless.
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 17:01 - Sep 7 with 2518 viewsSpiritofGregory

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 16:44 - Sep 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

20K over 5 years .

Priority being children.

Are we all satisfied now.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2015 16:47]

That figure is false because soon the family will join the men who have made the journey alone. Is that 20,000 people or applications?
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 17:06 - Sep 7 with 2505 viewsSpiritofGregory

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 13:34 - Sep 7 by kensalriser

Yes, let's put them in exclusive parts of London or do you think that rich Russains buy property in run down areas?
Migrant/Refugee crisis on 17:10 - Sep 7 with 2479 views2Thomas2Bowles

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 17:01 - Sep 7 by SpiritofGregory

That figure is false because soon the family will join the men who have made the journey alone. Is that 20,000 people or applications?

Am I you personal news reader ?
Try looking for the answers yourself.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2015 17:10]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 17:13 - Sep 7 with 2459 viewsDiscodroids

Hopefully Bono and Emma thompson can come up with some nifty fackin tips on how to house thousands more people through the medium of dance on you tube from their holiday homes in Mustique.

Perhaps decorating picture frames with sea shells is an option.

Its those poor 1000 f uckers that have to go to scotland that i feel sorry for .

A Number One.

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 17:14 - Sep 7 with 2455 viewsderbyhoop

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 21:30 - Sep 6 by Hadders

I agree with everything NW5Hoop says - we take a lot of immigrants, sure, but we shouldn`t forget that there are around 5 million British-born citizens living abroad. It seems to me that too few Brits currently appreciate the possible benefits of open borders in Europe for themselves and their families. Apart from young Britons now going to Germany for the much cheaper housing and so on, the same logic that brings eastern Europeans here could lead to many more Brits heading in the opposite direction, for early retirement or whatever. I`m guessing that a nice apartment on the Dalmatian coast of Croatia or overlooking the Black Sea in Bulgaria or Romania looks very affordable after London prices. As a nation, we are hopeless at languages and that needs to be pushed in schools, but the fact that English is the de facto common language of Europe should surely work to our advantage, too, making Europe seem more welcoming. The more people feel confident about moving aboard, even temporarily, and experience the benefits, the more they are likely to see themselves as "Europeans" as well as English or British, and to appreciate the advantages of open borders.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2015 21:34]

Over the last 18 years I have worked in Germany, France and Ireland. And for the last 5 months I've been living in France, renovating our house. It certainly gives you a different perspective than from a pure UK base. The English language version of French news is far more international in outlook than anything found on BBC or ITV. And the differences between the different nationalities are not that great.

I've tried really hard to learn French and I can now hold conversations with our French neighbours. They tell me that their country has similar problems to the UK, with the rise of a right wing, anti immigration party and recent protests by French farmers about falling prices.

The grass isn't always greener, but still more pleasant than Aleppo or Homs.

If anybody wants to try it the house next to us is up for sale at around 105,000 Euros.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Migrant/Refugee crisis on 17:15 - Sep 7 with 2455 viewsWilloW4

How do you know that ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024