Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Thread 17:46 - May 22 with 156224 viewsloftboy

This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

This post has been edited by an administrator

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 22:18 - Jul 6 with 2255 viewsterryb

General Election Thread on 13:46 - Jul 6 by Clive_Anderson

Yes it's good to try not to slag each other off, but also anyone with a different view is literally Hitler

Not everyone.

I've seen many with a different view regarded as being Stalin or Lennin!
General Election Thread on 22:41 - Jul 6 with 2177 viewsBoston

General Election Thread on 22:18 - Jul 6 by terryb

Not everyone.

I've seen many with a different view regarded as being Stalin or Lennin!

Alright for you to talk, Fidel.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

General Election Thread on 23:58 - Jul 6 with 2093 viewsSydneyRs

General Election Thread on 13:43 - Jul 6 by LimehouseR

Reform are a company backed by a right wing millionaire, they are not a political party. They have 5 seats yet will get 100x the political coverage than say the Greens (4 seats) because they are backed by a right wing media. Even the BBC give them a completely disproportionate amount of coverage. Their deputy leader has said regarding migrants in boats "left to drown". Nigel Farage dresses and mimics many of the mannerisms of Adolf Hitler. Lee Anderson? The less said the better. They've convinced a large proportion of the population that they are totally legitimate and aren't 'racist'. Let's see how Farage deals with the scrutiny of being an actual MP now. His finances will be very interesting reading.

Let's give this Labour government a chance, the Tories spent 14 years ripping up the basic infrastructure of this country. It's no coincidence that the number of billionaires has dramatically risen over the last decade.
Labour have already:

Called for an outright ceasefire in the Middle East and the call for a two party state (really wasn't that difficult to say was it).

Have stated they will open negotiations with junior doctors as early as next week (again, not difficult to sit down and talk with people is it, that's your job).

Scrapped the illegal and immoral Rwanda policy. (That has cost £240 million pounds and was going to cost over £1million plus per person 'deported').

I'd say that's progress within 48 hours.

Anyway let's just try and be positive about the future at least rather than slagging off each other and people who have barely had a chance to settle in to the office.

Reform is just the old BNP with more money and more subtle branding. Carefully chosen neutral colour for the logo etc. Beneath the surface the same old BNP.

Farage is no fool and knew he had to tone down his rhetoric a bit. The real person will emerge again in time.

Huge media coverage despite similar seat numbers to the greens and less than Sinn Fein who don't even sit on theirs.

Starmer is boring but boring is probably what the UK needs right now. Johnson had charisma, but what good did it do? He was utterly useless at the job in every way. Not only incompetent but corrupt too. Most good con men have plenty of charisma.
General Election Thread on 00:10 - Jul 7 with 2079 viewsRangersw12

General Election Thread on 14:27 - Jul 5 by SheffieldHoop

These imports !?

Love not hate...
General Election Thread on 06:10 - Jul 7 with 1927 viewsessextaxiboy

Well done everyone who posted on this thread for keeping it light and civil . We made it through !
General Election Thread on 07:26 - Jul 7 with 1892 viewswood_hoop

one more 'expert' appointment.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GR00VQkacAMPmZ_?format=jpg&name=small
General Election Thread on 09:45 - Jul 7 with 1795 viewsEsox_Lucius

General Election Thread on 22:13 - Jul 6 by Watford_Ranger

Course it will.

The GE was the first step on a long road to get KS out. The topic of the money was discussed by his supporters and funders and the consensus was to use it to keep going.

The grass is always greener.

General Election Thread on 11:12 - Jul 7 with 1693 viewsWatford_Ranger

General Election Thread on 23:58 - Jul 6 by SydneyRs

Reform is just the old BNP with more money and more subtle branding. Carefully chosen neutral colour for the logo etc. Beneath the surface the same old BNP.

Farage is no fool and knew he had to tone down his rhetoric a bit. The real person will emerge again in time.

Huge media coverage despite similar seat numbers to the greens and less than Sinn Fein who don't even sit on theirs.

Starmer is boring but boring is probably what the UK needs right now. Johnson had charisma, but what good did it do? He was utterly useless at the job in every way. Not only incompetent but corrupt too. Most good con men have plenty of charisma.

I think it’s a bit more than that. They’ve swallowed up what would have been the BNP vote once upon a time and gradually developed a veneer of respectability. A lot of people won’t really know much about them or their local candidate beyond who Farage is but couldn’t vote for ‘woke’ Labour and wanted to give the Tories a kicking. Many probably wouldn’t have voted at all without a Reform candidate. UKIP got 13% of the vote in 2015 with a very clear cause.

Now they’re more organised with the Tories at the lowest of lows and got a bit more and a few seats. There’s this big expectation they’ll go much further next time but I don’t really see it happening. Tories will bounce back a bit. Farage will be 64/65 at the next election and I don’t see them surviving much beyond him. Could be wrong of course.
Login to get fewer ads

General Election Thread on 12:26 - Jul 7 with 1612 viewsPunteR

General Election Thread on 06:10 - Jul 7 by essextaxiboy

Well done everyone who posted on this thread for keeping it light and civil . We made it through !

I thought the same actually. Ive kept out of it cos its not my thing really , only popping in to see how it was going, and everyone was on good form.
I didn't vote and i can live with that. I'll just carry on doing what i do, working hard and paying my taxes.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

General Election Thread on 12:28 - Jul 7 with 1602 viewshubble

General Election Thread on 23:58 - Jul 6 by SydneyRs

Sydders, me old mucker, it's all very well being partisan, but at least try to use a modicum of objectivity.

"Huge media coverage despite similar seat numbers to the greens and less than Sinn Fein who don't even sit on theirs."

Reform got 4,072,947 votes.

The Greens got 1,931,880 votes. Sinn Fein got 210,891 votes.

And of course, Reform got over half a million more than the Lib Dems. That's not a fact that you can sweep under the carpet with a haughty sniff about them being "just the old BNP" with a revamp. The metropolitan elite managed to completely miss the mood of the people prior to the Brexit vote, and then were aghast when it happened. I appreciate that you find this reality deeply unsavoury, but nevertheless, there is huge support for Reform, not least, interestingly, amongst young people. It's not just down to a bunch of old racists, what it reflects (IMHO), is how disenfranchised ordinary people feel, especially outside of the metropolitan media bubbles.

I am not posting this in support of Reform, but in support of looking at the whole picture, without pretending that it is not so.

Also worth noting that although the Greens got fewer than half the votes that Reform did, they have 4 MPs to Reform's 5. And of course the Lib Dems, with over half a million fewer votes than Reform, have 71 MPs.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

General Election Thread on 12:29 - Jul 7 with 1579 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 00:10 - Jul 7 by Rangersw12

These imports !?

Love not hate...

Oh well, that means we should ignore the large communities of extremists who have just elected MPs in our parliament, pretend the grooming gang thing never happened and wasn't covered up by complicit Labour Party types who should all be in jail, pretend we haven't had people walk into hospitals carrying bombs with the intention of blowing people to pieces because their holy book told them to.

Some Asian lads celebrated England's win yesterday while at a Cricket match supporting Pakistan. That makes it all ok then.

Edit - Didn't your family white flight your way out of this anyway? Not sure you're really best placed to speak on this one.
[Post edited 7 Jul 12:39]

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

General Election Thread on 12:40 - Jul 7 with 1580 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

General Election Thread on 12:28 - Jul 7 by hubble

Sydders, me old mucker, it's all very well being partisan, but at least try to use a modicum of objectivity.

"Huge media coverage despite similar seat numbers to the greens and less than Sinn Fein who don't even sit on theirs."

And of course, Reform got over half a million more than the Lib Dems. That's not a fact that you can sweep under the carpet with a haughty sniff about them being "just the old BNP" with a revamp. The metropolitan elite managed to completely miss the mood of the people prior to the Brexit vote, and then were aghast when it happened. I appreciate that you find this reality deeply unsavoury, but nevertheless, there is huge support for Reform, not least, interestingly, amongst young people. It's not just down to a bunch of old racists, what it reflects (IMHO), is how disenfranchised ordinary people feel, especially outside of the metropolitan media bubbles.

I am not posting this in support of Reform, but in support of looking at the whole picture, without pretending that it is not so.

Also worth noting that although the Greens got fewer than half the votes that Reform did, they have 4 MPs to Reform's 5. And of course the Lib Dems, with over half a million fewer votes than Reform, have 71 MPs.

Good point about youngsters turning to Reform. There is this assumption that the next generation will always be more liberal than their parents, but this does appear to being turned on its head. Not just here in the UK, but much more so across the EU.
Maybe it is the fading of the collective memory of fascism and communism as the older generation pass on, or the rise of the Internet and social media.

Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Slovakia, and maybe even France today have all voted for the far right in growing numbers.

There is something, especially in Europe, deeply disturbing about what is happening.

The irony is that during the Brexit debate people were told they were xenophobic racist idiots to vote for it and how could we leave the enlightened EU project. Yet we just voted in a left/centre government, whilst the EU is turning far right.
General Election Thread on 12:55 - Jul 7 with 1505 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 12:40 - Jul 7 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Good point about youngsters turning to Reform. There is this assumption that the next generation will always be more liberal than their parents, but this does appear to being turned on its head. Not just here in the UK, but much more so across the EU.
Maybe it is the fading of the collective memory of fascism and communism as the older generation pass on, or the rise of the Internet and social media.

Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Slovakia, and maybe even France today have all voted for the far right in growing numbers.

There is something, especially in Europe, deeply disturbing about what is happening.

The irony is that during the Brexit debate people were told they were xenophobic racist idiots to vote for it and how could we leave the enlightened EU project. Yet we just voted in a left/centre government, whilst the EU is turning far right.

Maybe young people are just tired of being told that older generations selling off their cultural inheritance is a good thing when we can all see that it isn't.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

General Election Thread on 15:42 - Jul 7 with 1373 viewsderbyhoop

My 2 takeaways
Labour won with about 34% of the vote. #GTTO was a big driver.
The turnout was a historic low.

Starmers speech outside no 10 was excellent. Can he deliver for All the country? Can he deliver at all, when there are so many difficult issues?

If he can get the economy growing, fix NHS and reduce immigration he'll get back in 5 years. If he doesn't the honeymoon will only last a few months.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

General Election Thread on 17:08 - Jul 7 with 1265 viewsslmrstid

Did all of Reform's candidates actually exist? https://bylinetimes.com/2024/07/03/reform-uks-invisible-candidates-who-are-they-

This guy looks pretty AI generated. Wonder what may have happened if he'd been voted in...
https://lh7-us.googleusercontent.com/docsz/AD_4nXcRmtSPeQHA2L1RSIGquVlSSOKRmV_mO
General Election Thread on 17:11 - Jul 7 with 1245 viewsHAYESBOY

General Election Thread on 12:28 - Jul 7 by hubble

Its funny though that all of a sudden we have a great desire for PR because Reform feel hard done by. Not a stitch from anyone when the Libs were getting fcked over.

In 2011 the AV referendum result was 67% to keep FPtP system.

Smells like a trout farm in here

General Election Thread on 18:52 - Jul 7 with 1137 viewsWatford_Ranger

General Election Thread on 17:11 - Jul 7 by HAYESBOY

Its funny though that all of a sudden we have a great desire for PR because Reform feel hard done by. Not a stitch from anyone when the Libs were getting fcked over.

And as we’re routinely told the will of the people should never be tested again.

I like a transferable vote system. A bit more complicated than what we have but certainly fairer and you still have MPs linked to a constituency. But yeah FPTP was good enough when it massively favoured the Tories. Lots of flaws to all voting systems but you play the game in the one you have.
General Election Thread on 19:05 - Jul 7 with 1108 viewsNed_Kennedys

General Election Thread on 18:52 - Jul 7 by Watford_Ranger

And as we’re routinely told the will of the people should never be tested again.

I like a transferable vote system. A bit more complicated than what we have but certainly fairer and you still have MPs linked to a constituency. But yeah FPTP was good enough when it massively favoured the Tories. Lots of flaws to all voting systems but you play the game in the one you have.

This time it’s massively helped Labour as they only got just over a third of the votes.
General Election Thread on 19:15 - Jul 7 with 1076 viewshubble

General Election Thread on 17:11 - Jul 7 by HAYESBOY

Who are the 'we' who have this sudden desire for PR? I certainly expressed nothing of the sort in my post, in which I think I made it quite clear that I was responding to a misrepresentation of the true picture of support for Reform.

Nor did I vote for Reform. FWIW, I think that the issue that really needs reforming is the current financial system, with its heinous travesties of fiat currencies and fractional reserve banking.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

General Election Thread on 20:17 - Jul 7 with 975 viewsHAYESBOY

General Election Thread on 19:15 - Jul 7 by hubble

Who are the 'we' who have this sudden desire for PR? I certainly expressed nothing of the sort in my post, in which I think I made it quite clear that I was responding to a misrepresentation of the true picture of support for Reform.

Nor did I vote for Reform. FWIW, I think that the issue that really needs reforming is the current financial system, with its heinous travesties of fiat currencies and fractional reserve banking.

The we was all the reform voters crying about not getting the seats they deserved. I accidently replied to your post instead of just entering a new post.

Smells like a trout farm in here

General Election Thread on 20:21 - Jul 7 with 959 viewsSonofpugwash

French elections the biggest stitch-up since the Bayeaux Tapestry.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

General Election Thread on 20:24 - Jul 7 with 963 viewsNorthernr

General Election Thread on 20:21 - Jul 7 by Sonofpugwash

I'm not sure this "we won, crush the opposition, ignore everything they said and wanted, humiliate and ridicule and grind them into the dust" versus "we lost, it must be a fix, the whole thing is a stitch up, it's corrupt" is really getting us anywhere.
General Election Thread on 20:44 - Jul 7 with 899 viewsPunteR

General Election Thread on 20:24 - Jul 7 by Northernr

I'm not sure this "we won, crush the opposition, ignore everything they said and wanted, humiliate and ridicule and grind them into the dust" versus "we lost, it must be a fix, the whole thing is a stitch up, it's corrupt" is really getting us anywhere.

Prob time to lock the thread.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

General Election Thread on 20:44 - Jul 7 with 900 viewsGus_iom

General Election Thread on 20:24 - Jul 7 by Northernr

Yeah, Leeds took it really badly
General Election Thread on 20:56 - Jul 7 with 871 viewsWesty75

General Election Thread on 20:21 - Jul 7 by Sonofpugwash

How so?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024