Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ainsworth on Today (S'land) 18:27 - Sep 16 with 9984 viewsBrianMcCarthy

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 21:03 - Sep 16 with 2534 viewsngbqpr

Wasn't GA caretaker in the Di Carmine wonder goal week night win v Brum, when we went down to 10 before half time, and he totally threw them by playing 4-3-2?

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 21:09 - Sep 16 with 2491 viewsqueensparker

A lot of over the top pessimism in here for me.

Before the red card we were 1-0 up and it was a good, ding dong game. O Nien looked terrified of Armstrong and we weren’t giving them an inch in midfield with some great tackling and closing down.

After the red card we had to play almost 90 mins inc the ridiculous added time these days in 30 degree heat against a good team. The ref made it clear that tackling wasn’t really allowed in this game (unless it was against Armstrong) so we lost our snap.

Passing negative judgement on Ainsworth for losing a game when your best midfielder gets sent off after 20 mins is well OTT

Jack Clarke has certainly improved as well eh, thought he had a great game
[Post edited 16 Sep 2023 21:35]
Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 21:25 - Sep 16 with 2440 viewsthehat

Sunderland players and bench were all over the ref from the first minute and probably influenced the decision. Typical Tony Mowbray tactics but very effective.

I thought Chair and Armstrong were poor today especially when we went to 10.

Willock looked bright when he came on and should be knocking at the door for a start Tuesday.
Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 21:37 - Sep 16 with 2408 viewsconnell10

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 20:47 - Sep 16 by Damo1962

And you think that's humorous? But crack on eh 🤔

What ya on about ?

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 21:38 - Sep 16 with 2408 viewsToast_R

Not sure why Ainsworth is getting negative comments here. Sunderland are a good team and played the man advantage beautifully. Sunderland looked good with the ball but suspect at the back as proved before the red card. After the card, our attacking threat was pretty much done, although Willock nearly got one back late on. Its a annoying game to lose but one I'm willing to take on the chin. It's still miles better than last season.
Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 22:10 - Sep 16 with 2296 viewsRangersw12

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 21:38 - Sep 16 by Toast_R

Not sure why Ainsworth is getting negative comments here. Sunderland are a good team and played the man advantage beautifully. Sunderland looked good with the ball but suspect at the back as proved before the red card. After the card, our attacking threat was pretty much done, although Willock nearly got one back late on. Its a annoying game to lose but one I'm willing to take on the chin. It's still miles better than last season.

He's getting stick because instead of trying to keep the ball we just sat deep and handed the ball back to them allowing them to wear us down and inevitably win the game .

We were playing Sunderland not Barcelona FFS yet we played like the away side. He needs to sort out a proper way of playing at home as his current tactics are not working
Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 23:25 - Sep 16 with 2192 viewsbosh67

I think the day gets very difficult when you lose arguably your best player after 20 something minutes and with injury time there's still roughly 90 to get through. Also we have what we have in the building to go with and absolutely no money to improve it so I think we have to write that off as unlucky and hope we get it right on Tuesday night where I suspect Willock will hopefully get the nod. Certainly not blaming Gareth for today. We go again with 11 players!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 05:07 - Sep 17 with 2030 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 18:41 - Sep 16 by Damo1962

Sinclair needs to be more intelligent the way he uses his strength, otherwise he will never make the grade unfortunately. And I don't know why Gareth is laughing about another surrender at home. He needs something on Tuesday... that's for sure.

First thing that struck me was his happy attitude and if I had the sound off I would have been sure we actually won . I have noticed it a few times after losses this season I would prefer an angry interview but its all perception i guess
He did gaurntee a win on Tuesday so that is good news at least
Login to get fewer ads

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 06:07 - Sep 17 with 1983 viewsNorthantsHoop

I fancied us for a win yesterday and it all looked good when Paal scored and if we had 11 on the pitch reckon we would have seen it out. To me we were probably over aggressive in the first 20 mins and before Colback sending off, the ref let a couple of incidents go and was not going to let the Colback tackle not be punished, red possibly harsh but Sunderland were winding situation up with the ref (who did have a poor game imo). The game was over for us once we had lost Colback, 10 men against a decent footballing side for 70 mins a stretch too far. Thought Ainsworth left the subs too late, he should have juggled it around at half time.
Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 07:42 - Sep 17 with 1891 viewsdmm

Booing Jack Clarke wasn't very clever. He did seem a bit rattled at first but he was always going to try a bit harder to score and did. Reminded me a bit of a QPR v Burnley game in 2008 when the fans took the piss out of Andy Cole had he responded by scoring a hattrick.
Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 08:00 - Sep 17 with 1840 viewsGaryBannister86

Going down to 10 so early makes it very hard and of course Colback was one of the worst possible to lose in that situation, totally agreed.

But it isn't impossible to put up a fight and literally from the first minute after the card our plan was hopeless and "It's only a matter of time" has never felt truer.

Aren't we sinking into the trap of believing the GA "tiny QPR" schtick and that it is a privilege to just be in the same division as these "massive clubs". Balderdash. We were playing Sunderland, with no premier league money, and a pedestrian manager like Mowbray and we played them after the sending off like we were just trying to keep the score down.

It's a weak, defeatist attitude and I was not impressed by it. Give it a go, be plucky, I thought that was the whole point of GA. Apart from the last few minutes, we certainly did not give it a go. In any flipping way.

I am happy to lay this as a negative against Ainsworth. He's had a few positives recently but if he wants to build something he has to start looking at the home form.

I've stood on the Rail Seating I think about 10 times now with my boy, and Cook's own goal was the first and only time I've seen a QPR player score in front of me. I mean....come on.

We are QPR not Wycombe flipping Wanderers.
Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 08:06 - Sep 17 with 1823 viewsMonkey_Roots

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 18:41 - Sep 16 by Damo1962

Sinclair needs to be more intelligent the way he uses his strength, otherwise he will never make the grade unfortunately. And I don't know why Gareth is laughing about another surrender at home. He needs something on Tuesday... that's for sure.

Did you watch the game?
Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 08:24 - Sep 17 with 1783 viewsNortholt_Rs

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 19:14 - Sep 16 by BrianMcCarthy

The thing I can't decide, genuinely, is what was our plan to get the ball to Armstrong.

We played 5-3-1, an dthe 5 and 3 were very deep, we seemed to have no link-man, no transition plan, leaving Armstrong isolated, and even if he got the ball he had no-one to pass it to.

For those at the game - would it have worked going to 4 at the back straight after the red, allowing us to play another attacker/attacking midfielder?

I think GA was screwed with whatever route he took after that daft red card. Sit back, soak up the pressure and hope we grind out a result obviously didn’t work. Change it up and go for the win I don’t think would’ve worked either….and may have ended up with a 1-5 or worse pumping. The red card killed the game for us and it was an insane challenge to make on the halfway line FFS! Our home support has to be commended for turning up every game at LR given the appalling run of results. Is this our worst run at home in the clubs history? I can’t remember one like it. Gareth - and all of us - badly needs a win on Tuesday v Swansea. Nice send off for big Frank by the fans too yesterday.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2023 10:17]

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 08:46 - Sep 17 with 1733 viewsBklynRanger

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 07:42 - Sep 17 by dmm

Booing Jack Clarke wasn't very clever. He did seem a bit rattled at first but he was always going to try a bit harder to score and did. Reminded me a bit of a QPR v Burnley game in 2008 when the fans took the piss out of Andy Cole had he responded by scoring a hattrick.

Yeah I think we needed to do more about Clarke. I love Paul Smyth but he was struggling and there should've been a change in the second half - we need to be prepared to do that and go more defensive when needed. Clarke was mostly doing whatever he wanted in that second half to my eyes. Seems to be playing well and looks like the player we hoped WE had signed. A couple of timely challenges from the little bastard too.

I know GA had to juggle based on fitness and Tuesday's game but he could have brought Clark-Salter on for Smyth and moved Ossie into that position. Then done the same switch he did later on anyway and rested Cook. Ossie was a bright spot once he switch to the flank - was starting the get the better of a tiring Clark in the other direction in the closing stages - am impressed with his fitness.
Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 09:26 - Sep 17 with 1656 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 08:24 - Sep 17 by Northolt_Rs

I think GA was screwed with whatever route he took after that daft red card. Sit back, soak up the pressure and hope we grind out a result obviously didn’t work. Change it up and go for the win I don’t think would’ve worked either….and may have ended up with a 1-5 or worse pumping. The red card killed the game for us and it was an insane challenge to make on the halfway line FFS! Our home support has to be commended for turning up every game at LR given the appalling run of results. Is this our worst run at home in the clubs history? I can’t remember one like it. Gareth - and all of us - badly needs a win on Tuesday v Swansea. Nice send off for big Frank by the fans too yesterday.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2023 10:17]

"I think GA was screwed with whatever route he took after that daft red card. Sit back, soak up the pressure and hood we grind out a result obviously didn’t work. Change it up and go for the win I don’t think would’ve worked either….and may have ended up with a 1-5 or worse pumping."

That's how I'm feeling this morning as well, Northolt. Just can't see how we'd have coped with Clarke had we opened it up a bit.

I do wonder, however, if as soon as the sending-off happened Ainsworth's instinct would have been "Right, well now we're playing my game". Ainsworth rightly points to the deflected leveller being unlucky but there were mistakes leading up to that shot and - let's face it - when you allow twenty-two shots against you, you're rolling out the red carpet for misfortune to visit you.

But, as you say, if we opened up and went 441 or 432, for instance, I think it would probably have ended up the same way.

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 10:38 - Sep 17 with 1533 viewsnix

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 08:46 - Sep 17 by BklynRanger

Yeah I think we needed to do more about Clarke. I love Paul Smyth but he was struggling and there should've been a change in the second half - we need to be prepared to do that and go more defensive when needed. Clarke was mostly doing whatever he wanted in that second half to my eyes. Seems to be playing well and looks like the player we hoped WE had signed. A couple of timely challenges from the little bastard too.

I know GA had to juggle based on fitness and Tuesday's game but he could have brought Clark-Salter on for Smyth and moved Ossie into that position. Then done the same switch he did later on anyway and rested Cook. Ossie was a bright spot once he switch to the flank - was starting the get the better of a tiring Clark in the other direction in the closing stages - am impressed with his fitness.

I don't think we can judge tactics or the ability of players on the basis of a game we were playing for 70 minutes against ten men.

If I were GA I would have probably played conservatively after they scored through our own goal and the red card. It was an extremely hot day, we have a very small squad and we are playing three games this week. I remember a game a couple of seasons ago against Blackpool where we absolutely worked our b*llocks off to win with ten men after Sanderson got sent off. We then proceeded to lose seven out of the next eight matches as we were absolutely spent, had some games in close proximity and then got into one of those losing runs.

As I said on another thread, we lost the ability to provide cover down that right flank once Colback went off. He was a big loss as he covers so much ground around the middle allowing Dozzell to provide some cover on the right. This was lost after Colback got his red card.

If other teams allowed Chair to play just against their right back or Smyth against their left back they'd cause havoc too. Except other teams always double up with their midfielders providing cover.
Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 10:48 - Sep 17 with 1507 viewsBklynRanger

They spent the second half giving the ball to Clarke and letting him run at us. Mostly at Smyth who has been doing a sterling job but isn't a defender. I just think that could and should have been looked at.

I stayed behind and clapped the players off, thought they'd put in a good shift all round in a difficult situation, and am not being negative. Just think that match up needed a look, if anything even more so since the usual cover was no longer there.
Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 11:09 - Sep 17 with 1467 viewsnix

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 10:48 - Sep 17 by BklynRanger

They spent the second half giving the ball to Clarke and letting him run at us. Mostly at Smyth who has been doing a sterling job but isn't a defender. I just think that could and should have been looked at.

I stayed behind and clapped the players off, thought they'd put in a good shift all round in a difficult situation, and am not being negative. Just think that match up needed a look, if anything even more so since the usual cover was no longer there.

Don't think you're seeing the bigger picture. Whatever tactics he'd employed we'd have lost that match once we went down to ten men and gifted them a soft own goal.

Seems a weird match to have a go at Ainsworth's tactics or the ability of our defenders against ten men. So from that perspective, I think you are being negative.

Last season I think that was the kind of match we'd have lost 6-1. They only actually scored two goals against us, we scored the first one, which Begovic would almost certainly have saved. It's hardly a rout against ten men.

He's got to eke out his squad. He could have brought JCS on earlier and moved Kakay to right back. But I think he wants to bring him in gradually and not overplay him as he hasn't got riches at CB. Withdrawing Cook is also part of that. Jimmy clearly not ready to come back and Albert's legs have gone so he couldn't play against Clarke.

It was the red card and own goal that killed us, not Smyth or GA's tactics.
Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 11:21 - Sep 17 with 1451 viewsBklynRanger

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 11:09 - Sep 17 by nix

Don't think you're seeing the bigger picture. Whatever tactics he'd employed we'd have lost that match once we went down to ten men and gifted them a soft own goal.

Seems a weird match to have a go at Ainsworth's tactics or the ability of our defenders against ten men. So from that perspective, I think you are being negative.

Last season I think that was the kind of match we'd have lost 6-1. They only actually scored two goals against us, we scored the first one, which Begovic would almost certainly have saved. It's hardly a rout against ten men.

He's got to eke out his squad. He could have brought JCS on earlier and moved Kakay to right back. But I think he wants to bring him in gradually and not overplay him as he hasn't got riches at CB. Withdrawing Cook is also part of that. Jimmy clearly not ready to come back and Albert's legs have gone so he couldn't play against Clarke.

It was the red card and own goal that killed us, not Smyth or GA's tactics.

I'm picking up on one thing that I think could have been looked at, not all of GA's tactics - not trying to discuss the 'bigger picture', which you have a clear and unwavering understanding of anyway so there wouldn't be any need.

Your stuff about using the squad I already partly mentioned so nothing of note there. Seems like a pretty low bar for negativity anyway!
Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 12:30 - Sep 17 with 1361 viewsclareranger

I am so passed off with ainsworth coming out smiling. Proud of the boys empty the fecking tank .iis that what they are supposed to do for fecks sank
Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 12:31 - Sep 17 with 1354 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great posts, Nix and Bklyn.

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 13:31 - Sep 17 with 1253 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 07:42 - Sep 17 by dmm

I know it's at least mostly done in fun, but it's utterly bizarre how we boo every player who ever had something to do with us or one of our horrible neighbours. Jack Clarke played a few games for us, when young, mostly as a sub. Didn't tear up any trees apart from one really effective sub appearance, went down to League One and got his sht together. What are we booing exactly? Do we really think it'll put him off his game? There are players I can understand us going for - Kalvin Phillips for his desperation to kill Geoff Cameron; captain, leader, bellend; Bosingwa; etc etc. But Jack Clarke? For having a below par loan spell? People need to grow up a bit, or spend more time at the panto, i dunno. All it does is make players desperater to ram it down our throats.

Bare bones.

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 13:40 - Sep 17 with 1234 viewsHooping_Mad

This wasn't the result to lose our heads over, I had them as favourites if we'd had 11 so 1-3 isn't that bad.

Inviting them on as we did wasn't that bright but yeah if we had switched it up it could have been worse.

Our possession stats terrify me. That's where a lot of our problems sit, Would have been nice to seen us push up and and try some Warbs ball around the back to at least see out the first half.

The lack of options from the bench terrifies me almost as much as the possession stats though.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 14:01 - Sep 17 with 1200 viewsessextaxiboy

I have been behind Ainsworth from the get go but he is not beyond criticism .

Personally I though he got it wrong . Try to get to half time at 1-0 fair enough but to come out and sit off them as if it was attack against defence drills seemed to be inviting the inevitable .At times it looked like they had more than one extra man

To say we would have got beaten heavily had we been a bit more positive is guesswork .
Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 14:05 - Sep 17 with 1184 viewsDamo1962

Ainsworth on Today (S'land) on 08:06 - Sep 17 by Monkey_Roots

Did you watch the game?

No. Next question...and try and make it relevant.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024