Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Signing 15:51 - Feb 6 with 58513 viewsAntti_Heinola

Club just teasing a new signing on twitter...

must be an out of contract player?

Bare bones.

New Signing on 11:43 - Feb 7 with 2909 viewsPinnerPaul

New Signing on 09:42 - Feb 7 by daveB

It's infuriating. We talk about development but never follow through

take Conor Masterson, came in from Liverpool, played a few games looked decent but was raw and had mistakes in him. Made a blunder against Cardiff with a late handball and has pretty much never played since, sent out on various loans before he's released this summer and replaced with a loan signing in De Wijs who was a lot better, instant impact etc but he's gone now as well. We cast him aside much like we cast various others aside over the years because we needed an instant result.

Paul Smyth, great start won young player of the season, looked really exciting but a bit injury prone. After that season gave him about 3/4 games and spent the next 2 years loaning him out, well if he's not good at Wycombe he won't be good for us despite us having seen with our own eyes him in a QPR shirt in our first team doing quite well. Another wasted opportunity

We never take that attitude with older players well Jamal Lowe hasn't done much at Bournemouth so we won't sign him. Taylor Richards got injured in his medical at Birmingham, ignore that sign him anyway.

Sinclair Armstrong, looked great early on, first start against Cardiff tore them apart, started against Wigan another win looked good then he was a bit crap at Birmingham and not seen again bar 5 minutes against Burnley when already 3-0 down for 13 games. Back in now and talk of well he's not getting any better, of course he's not he never plays and the inevitable answer, send him somewhere else, it worked for Eze and Chair. Sadly the list of players loans hasn't worked for is a hell of a lot longer.

This is why you end up with the farce of Shodipo, Owens etc still being here at 26 and never really having played a game of football for us.

Sorry I've gone full Michael Douglas in Falling Down this week

BUT if Masterson and Smyth were any good they would have ripped it up in the div below and either we have them back or the club we loaned them to would have paid mega money for them.

If others have said they are not up to it as well, then we can't just blame Chris, Les et al can we?

Masterson an excellent case in point, good pedigree, good academy background, but in the end not quite good enough - happens all over, as I keep saying its NOT just QPR!

There is no magic formula to picking out good players - if there was everyone would be doing it and noone would get transferred for millions anymore!
New Signing on 11:46 - Feb 7 with 2880 viewsPinnerPaul

New Signing on 20:56 - Feb 6 by davman

Well, from what I saw of Austin last season, I am AMAZED he is still playing. Off the pitch he and his family were stars, on it, he was toilet with a terrible attitude to boot. Spent a lot of the time on the pitch trying to kick the oppo and couldn't even run for longer than 40 minutes.

Martin is a much better holder up of the ball and fitter than Charlie Austin was last season even if he is older.

Face it, Austin SHOULD have retired when he left us...

Indeed. The fixation that Martin is a whole 8 months older than Austin is bizarre!

On that basis we should perhaps cast aside Stef?
New Signing on 11:48 - Feb 7 with 2863 viewstoboboly

New Signing on 11:38 - Feb 7 by daveB

It's the same for all of them, if Sinclair Armstrong came on loan from Villa he'd play every week

For me Armstrong should have been given a season loan to a lg1/lg2 team this year. Giving him 10 minutes every other game surely can't be useful

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

New Signing on 11:49 - Feb 7 with 2855 viewsPinnerPaul

New Signing on 17:56 - Feb 6 by daveB

considering he was released on a zoom call as the club wanted younger players and asked if he was going to retire, you can see where he's coming from
[Post edited 6 Feb 2023 18:10]

Not really Dave no I can't.

Players are released all the time - Martin included - do they all go on line and mock their former clubs?
New Signing on 11:52 - Feb 7 with 2835 viewsPinnerPaul

New Signing on 21:54 - Feb 6 by daveB

How do we know he's not championship level? been here 3 seasons started 1 league game. We spent money on him as well. So much for the club giving players a chance, our idea of developing players is to send them somewhere else, it's laughable

BUT as I just said if he was Championship level he would

a) Be pulling up trees in League 2
b) Someone else (Non QPR) MIGHT have spotted that and wanted him - no?
New Signing on 12:06 - Feb 7 with 2779 viewsPinnerPaul

Interesting debate though!

230 posts and 18,000 views, despite a few on here saying they don't care anymore , pretty obvious most of us still do!
New Signing on 12:16 - Feb 7 with 2714 viewsstanistheman

New Signing on 09:35 - Feb 7 by BrianMcCarthy

I don't feel good about it either, DejR.

I think that Ferdinand has done an incredible job saving us from relegation(s) and possible extinction after the mess he inherited. It's clear, though, that changes need to be made in how we build our squad. I'm not laying all these problems at his doorstep, because clearly there are multiple reasons why any result occurs in life, business or sport, but we are identifying developing youth players only to see them poached, we are not bringing through first-teamers and we are giving the manager too much say in who we recruit.

As I say, I have no problem with this latest signing, but we have to ask ourselves "how did we get here?" and "how can we do better?". What happens afterwards depends on the answers to those two questions.

What did Ferdinand do to save QPR from relegation and possible extinction?

I think you give him far too much credit.

We had plenty of overpaid players but most left after being paid off (using up the parachute payments), or ran down their contracts.

He sold Austin for £4m after turning down offers of around £10-12m in the summer.

He sold Fer, Granero and Phillips for fairly small fees.

As for saving us from relegation, his appointment of Ramsey to keep QPR in the Premiership failed and then appointed and sacked him the next season.

He appointed JFH instead of Warnock then sacked him and Holloway was appointed and QPR just about stayed up.

In 8 seasons in this division we have not made the playoffs (I’m including this one as I think that ship has now sailed).

Our squad is unbalanced and our young players clearly not 1st team quality in this division ( they are hardly shining out on loan. Alfie Lloyd is doing well, but that is in the National League.

How many of the players have we sold for profit under his watch . I can think of Eze, Freeman and Smithies.

This is failure as far as I am concerned.
New Signing on 12:20 - Feb 7 with 2699 viewsdaveB

New Signing on 11:43 - Feb 7 by PinnerPaul

BUT if Masterson and Smyth were any good they would have ripped it up in the div below and either we have them back or the club we loaned them to would have paid mega money for them.

If others have said they are not up to it as well, then we can't just blame Chris, Les et al can we?

Masterson an excellent case in point, good pedigree, good academy background, but in the end not quite good enough - happens all over, as I keep saying its NOT just QPR!

There is no magic formula to picking out good players - if there was everyone would be doing it and noone would get transferred for millions anymore!

Masterson and Smyth both played well for us and were then loaned out. Smyth young player of the season when we had Eze, Bright and Manning in the team. Played about 4 games for us after that season. Right wingers who have played more than him since he won that award, mid 30's semi retired Marc Pugh and Albert Adomah, and we wonder why we're skint

I find our attitude towards our own players bizarre.

Dion Sanderson was loaned to us last year, not very good but keep playing him every week he might get better.
One of the players we own has a bad game, off you pop on loan or never seen again as we sign someone else. Oh you played crap for a non league team, well we'd better either release you or give you one more year and a few loans, best not play you in the first team though just in case we lose even though we're losing anyway.

It just raises the issue if these players Kellman, Duke-Mckenna, Armstrong, Smyth, Masterson are not good enough why are we signing them in the first place, should we not be doing far better and have a far better hit rate with signings than this. Get those right and you don't need 5 loans a season to bolster the squad but with all of them as we never put them in our team we'll never know if they are good enough or not.

Rafferty Pedder another one, 21 years old now, impressing for the B team and under 21's, never even been on our bench at a club where we had 2 keepers sat on the bench the other week, out of contract this summer do we ever dare to look at him, maybe give him 10 minutes in the first team.

We signed one from Newcastle last year, named after Stan Bowles, never seen again.

I do get it that these kids may well be utter shit but why have an academy if you never use any of them, that was supposed to be the point in going down this route and if all the kids are shit why are we signing them to pro contracts

I know it's hard and never easy to get signings right and we all got carried away with that lockdown season but we don't make it easy for ourselves
Login to get fewer ads

New Signing on 12:23 - Feb 7 with 2680 viewsHayesender

I think I may have accidentally reported this thread for abuse. Ignore

Poll: Shamima Beghum

New Signing on 12:26 - Feb 7 with 2666 viewsdaveB

New Signing on 11:49 - Feb 7 by PinnerPaul

Players are released all the time - Martin included - do they all go on line and mock their former clubs?

no they don't, not all of them have the affiliation he did with us and he was clearly pissed off with how it ended. Of course he should say nothing be professional etc but thats the kind of character he is and with whats happened since I mean he's right you have to laugh really
New Signing on 12:29 - Feb 7 with 2632 viewsBrianMcCarthy

New Signing on 12:16 - Feb 7 by stanistheman

What did Ferdinand do to save QPR from relegation and possible extinction?

I think you give him far too much credit.

We had plenty of overpaid players but most left after being paid off (using up the parachute payments), or ran down their contracts.

He sold Austin for £4m after turning down offers of around £10-12m in the summer.

He sold Fer, Granero and Phillips for fairly small fees.

As for saving us from relegation, his appointment of Ramsey to keep QPR in the Premiership failed and then appointed and sacked him the next season.

He appointed JFH instead of Warnock then sacked him and Holloway was appointed and QPR just about stayed up.

In 8 seasons in this division we have not made the playoffs (I’m including this one as I think that ship has now sailed).

Our squad is unbalanced and our young players clearly not 1st team quality in this division ( they are hardly shining out on loan. Alfie Lloyd is doing well, but that is in the National League.

How many of the players have we sold for profit under his watch . I can think of Eze, Freeman and Smithies.

This is failure as far as I am concerned.

I think he refreshed the squad continually while halving our wage bill every year and kept us in the Championship and safe from relegation and FFP, Stan.

That's not easy from where we were on his first day. Maybe some other DoF's could have done it, but he's the one who did and I'll always be thankful to him for that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

New Signing on 12:38 - Feb 7 with 2535 viewsDixie_CT

Kelman is out of contract at the end of the season and the club have a one year option to extend.
New Signing on 12:42 - Feb 7 with 2507 viewsPaddyhoops

New Signing on 12:29 - Feb 7 by BrianMcCarthy

I think he refreshed the squad continually while halving our wage bill every year and kept us in the Championship and safe from relegation and FFP, Stan.

That's not easy from where we were on his first day. Maybe some other DoF's could have done it, but he's the one who did and I'll always be thankful to him for that.

Prepared to give Martin a chance . He’s a decent pro, he holds the ball wall up well.
He’s big fat arse should shield the ball wall well and bring chair and Lowe into the picture.
Worth a punt for three months.
We can’t afford anything else and if we get 4 wins on the board fairly sharpish, we can get Sinclair back into the picture for a run of games .
Not sure if Armstrong will work out though. He’s approach work and general speed is excellent but he looks like a frightened rabbit once he gets anywhere near the six yard box.
New Signing on 12:53 - Feb 7 with 2442 views89_50

While we shouldn't have been in a situation where we amble through the season with one senior, available striker, I think the acquisition of Martin is the best route we could have taken in the circumstance.

Although used sparingly this season, the fact he's been available consistently for years, putting in 40+ appearances every campaign, is encouraging.

It also frees Lowe to be more mobile across the attack, instead of expecting him to do it all.

The continued reliance on loans and veterans to get us through every year is obviously something that needs to be addressed, but it's not something that can be remedied overnight (or even in one season), unless the board and fans are prepared to suck it up and chew on a relegation fight from the off, because, let's face it, our academy and younger players aren't at the required level to meet our expectations yet.
New Signing on 13:25 - Feb 7 with 2271 viewsJamesB1979

New Signing on 11:49 - Feb 7 by PinnerPaul

What about Nedum? He also seemed really disappointed at way he was treated after so many years playing at the club.
New Signing on 13:31 - Feb 7 with 2227 viewsjohnhoop

New Signing on 13:25 - Feb 7 by JamesB1979

What about Nedum? He also seemed really disappointed at way he was treated after so many years playing at the club.

I thought that the way that Clint Hill and Ale Faurlin were dumped, without the fans having any chance to show their appreciation, was very disappointing as well.
New Signing on 13:36 - Feb 7 with 2175 viewsterryb

New Signing on 13:31 - Feb 7 by johnhoop

I thought that the way that Clint Hill and Ale Faurlin were dumped, without the fans having any chance to show their appreciation, was very disappointing as well.

The three of them were all very disappointed with the club & I think with the DOF in particular, but none of them have posted like Charlie Austin has.

Ale even tweeted his pleasure when we went top of the Championship. Not that we stayed there long!
New Signing on 13:41 - Feb 7 with 2123 viewsdaveB

New Signing on 13:36 - Feb 7 by terryb

The three of them were all very disappointed with the club & I think with the DOF in particular, but none of them have posted like Charlie Austin has.

Ale even tweeted his pleasure when we went top of the Championship. Not that we stayed there long!

for balance Austin posted several positive tweets about us earlier in the season as well.

Hill and Ned were both quite scathing of the club and how they were let go on various podcasts, pretty much same as Austin did last summer
New Signing on 13:43 - Feb 7 with 2117 viewsderbyhoop

New Signing on 23:07 - Feb 6 by daveB

You may well be right but some players do well on loan and not well here, if we don't put them in a QPR shirt and see him play for us alongside supposidly better players how can we ever know? 3 seasons in now and never picked him, what was the point of signing him

We took a punt on an 18 year old with some L2 experience.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

New Signing on 14:04 - Feb 7 with 1989 viewsdaveB

New Signing on 13:43 - Feb 7 by derbyhoop

We took a punt on an 18 year old with some L2 experience.

We did but what have we done with him? Just sent him back to league 2 for 2 of his 3 years with us. I'm struggling to see what the plan was with him, if he does well at orient is he in the squad next season or off on loan somewhere again, maybe league one this time. This wasn't a free transfer punt either, few hundred grand spent on him
New Signing on 14:07 - Feb 7 with 1964 viewsTheChef

New Signing on 14:04 - Feb 7 by daveB

We did but what have we done with him? Just sent him back to league 2 for 2 of his 3 years with us. I'm struggling to see what the plan was with him, if he does well at orient is he in the squad next season or off on loan somewhere again, maybe league one this time. This wasn't a free transfer punt either, few hundred grand spent on him

Maybe he's just never going to be good enough?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

New Signing on 14:20 - Feb 7 with 1882 viewsTK1

I find the hysteria about *everything* a bit nuts at the moment. Drama Queens Park Rangers, indeed. I know we had a great season in 2011-12 - but which of the other 25 past years are we basing the outrage on? The year we got promoted breaking FFP? We’re slightly outperforming our budget, massively underperforming our dreams. So what? It’s better than any season in the ‘00s, other than the ones in the league below.

I really can’t understand the pathway thing on this thread. The pathway to the first team for young players hasn't been clearer for decades as far as I can tell. We have several former U23s in the first team, all of whom have value. We had perhaps two between 1998 and 2018. I hardly think it requires mass beheadings in the close-season. We have several players in the B team and U18s with potential. Young players who don't make it at Rangers but make it elsewhere is a massive improvement on previous decades too, making signing even better young talent easier. Feels to me that it’s moving in the right direction, but maybe I am a hopeless romantic.

Chris Martin is a short term big lump centre forward cover signing in the grand QPR tradition of Gary Thompson, Devon White, Iain Dowie, Colin Clarke, even Paul Furlong (who was the same age). It doesn't affect anything long term other than the ability to give Dykes time to recover and QPR the chance to perhaps sometimes win a few headers in the opposition box.
New Signing on 14:45 - Feb 7 with 1743 viewsstanistheman

New Signing on 12:29 - Feb 7 by BrianMcCarthy

He was not appointed as DoF in the summer of 2015 , but in February 2015 when QPR where in the Premiership.
We were not entrenched in the bottom 3 , but in a relegation battle with about 6 or 7 other clubs.
QPR had just beaten Sunderland and climbed out of the bottom 3 and Ferdinand then gave the job to Ramsey for the remainder of the season.

This was the same mistake that Wolves made the previous season when they sacked McCarthy and gave the job to the never before managed a club Darren Moore. They went on to sink to the bottom of the division and get relegated. And guess what Brian, QPR also dropped to the bottom and out of the EPL after losing the next 5 games!
The following season brought in the new Sky TV deal with the bumper parachute payments that are now seen as giving an unfair advantage to the relegated clubs. We could have been one of those clubs if the master brain DoF had appointed a more capable and experienced manager instead of promoting his friend. Who knows, we might not even have gotten relegated back to the EFL to receive the record breaking fine.

The mess you are crediting him with clearing up is in no small part to him as firstly advisor to Fernandes in October 2014 (why was he not advising replacing Redknapp who was losing every single away game) or advising to spend some money in the January window to pull away to mid table safety . Both were needed, but seemingly not advised.

This in my view is largely down to Ferdinand.
New Signing on 14:49 - Feb 7 with 1725 viewsdaveB

New Signing on 14:07 - Feb 7 by TheChef

Maybe he's just never going to be good enough?

quite probable, I'm just a bit fed up with us signing players who spend most of their time at QPR playing for someone else whilst we spend money borrowing players from elsewhere. It's all a bit mad
New Signing on 14:49 - Feb 7 with 1712 viewsPlanetHonneywood

New Signing on 12:38 - Feb 7 by Dixie_CT

Kelman is out of contract at the end of the season and the club have a one year option to extend.

Unless he's ready for first team contention, then I see little point of triggering the clause for us only to then pack him off on loan somewhere.

Martin is a short-term term fix to a short-term problem that really ought to have been addressed long before now. Probably the type of ugly signing required to shake things up and who might just be a perfectly suited square plug to fill a round hole.

But what is clear and increasingly obvious, is that the football development logic lovingly espoused by the club, remains fuzzy in thinking and empty in practice.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024