Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Signing 15:51 - Feb 6 with 56317 viewsAntti_Heinola

Club just teasing a new signing on twitter...

must be an out of contract player?

Bare bones.

New Signing on 14:56 - Feb 7 with 3086 viewsParkRoyalR

Patrick Bamford was quoted after their defeat v Forest as saying....

'We needed more runners running past me to drag the Forest Centre Backs out of position and create a bit of space....the whole game was literally 2 v1, which made it difficult' for me (Bamford)....

Critchely has impressed me in seeing this as a problem (Luton game) and bringing in Lowe and addressing it (hence number of goals and chances Lowe has created for himself by getting in the box and not over-indulging himself outside the box)

Martin for me is an ideal target man that will tie up two Centre Halves and give both Lowe the space to run in behind and Chair and Willock the space to operate in front of the Centre Halves, I'm positive about him and Critchley...time will tell.
New Signing on 15:03 - Feb 7 with 3038 viewsLongsufferingR

New Signing on 14:45 - Feb 7 by stanistheman

He was not appointed as DoF in the summer of 2015 , but in February 2015 when QPR where in the Premiership.
We were not entrenched in the bottom 3 , but in a relegation battle with about 6 or 7 other clubs.
QPR had just beaten Sunderland and climbed out of the bottom 3 and Ferdinand then gave the job to Ramsey for the remainder of the season.

This was the same mistake that Wolves made the previous season when they sacked McCarthy and gave the job to the never before managed a club Darren Moore. They went on to sink to the bottom of the division and get relegated. And guess what Brian, QPR also dropped to the bottom and out of the EPL after losing the next 5 games!
The following season brought in the new Sky TV deal with the bumper parachute payments that are now seen as giving an unfair advantage to the relegated clubs. We could have been one of those clubs if the master brain DoF had appointed a more capable and experienced manager instead of promoting his friend. Who knows, we might not even have gotten relegated back to the EFL to receive the record breaking fine.

The mess you are crediting him with clearing up is in no small part to him as firstly advisor to Fernandes in October 2014 (why was he not advising replacing Redknapp who was losing every single away game) or advising to spend some money in the January window to pull away to mid table safety . Both were needed, but seemingly not advised.

This in my view is largely down to Ferdinand.

Without getting into a pro/anti LF debate, some of your "facts" need correcting:

We didn't turn down £12m for Charlie Austin, he didn't want to go to Leicester, which he probably looks at with more embarrassed hindsight than we should seeing as they won the PL the following season.

Sunderland (A) was Ramsey's first game in charge, he wasn't appointed after it.

Wolves didn't give their job to Darren Moore, it was Terry Connor.

Also none of us knows whether he was advising replacing Redknapp or not, so you can't possibly state as fact that he wasn't.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 15:21]
New Signing on 15:08 - Feb 7 with 2995 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

New Signing on 15:03 - Feb 7 by LongsufferingR

Without getting into a pro/anti LF debate, some of your "facts" need correcting:

We didn't turn down £12m for Charlie Austin, he didn't want to go to Leicester, which he probably looks at with more embarrassed hindsight than we should seeing as they won the PL the following season.

Also none of us knows whether he was advising replacing Redknapp or not, so you can't possibly state as fact that he wasn't.

I think there are lots of reasons to criticise Les right now, but the truth doesn’t seem to be enough for some people.

To really hammer home the point you need some outright false statements and more than a dollop of conspiracy.
New Signing on 15:16 - Feb 7 with 2952 viewsdaveB

Sandro signed in the summer.

They couldn't spend anymore in January, Redknapp signed Zarate from West Ham on loan and then tried to send him back on deadline day as he wanted Defoe instead, Defoe wanted 90k a week wages and board said no so he went to America instead.

Ramsay as manager was a Tony Fernandes appointment as well. Ferdinand wanted to appoint Tim Sherwood which I mean would have been just as bad really
New Signing on 15:20 - Feb 7 with 2905 viewsLongsufferingR

New Signing on 15:16 - Feb 7 by daveB

Sandro signed in the summer.

They couldn't spend anymore in January, Redknapp signed Zarate from West Ham on loan and then tried to send him back on deadline day as he wanted Defoe instead, Defoe wanted 90k a week wages and board said no so he went to America instead.

Ramsay as manager was a Tony Fernandes appointment as well. Ferdinand wanted to appoint Tim Sherwood which I mean would have been just as bad really

Will amend re:Sandro. Thanks
New Signing on 15:25 - Feb 7 with 2859 viewsPhildo

A very depressing thread to read albeit with lots of interesting and differing viewpoints.

Signing an old striker is nothing new as are loans, debate over youth development and scouting.

What seems to have changed in the last few weeks is that a lot of people who normally give the benefit of the doubt to the club have lost faith in - for want of a better phrase - the project.

I think that cnt Boilface really fked us over and whatever happens I hope he gets his served up in short order. You can see it in the team. He really shouldn't get a job in football again if there is any justice in heaven and earth.

I think most just want this season over with and see what happens - at all levels - in the summer.

Maybe all this will be a good thing as it makes a lot of people confront a lot of uncomfortable stuff in the long run. Who knows. Its bloody miserable though.
New Signing on 15:29 - Feb 7 with 2818 viewsfrancisbowles

New Signing on 11:35 - Feb 7 by essextaxiboy

If we start scraping wins without him why would you drop Martin and play Dykes? , they are both our players .

I never said anything about dropping Martin. If he does well and Dykes comes back later then we have options. Martin is unlikely to last 90 mins, at least in his early games. It remains to be seen whether he can later on. Dykes, if he comes back this season, will probably need to be reintroduced gradually and given limited minutes at first. There is a role for Sinclair Armstrong as well, if he can improve coming off the bench in the next few weeks. Of course Lowe will be used alongside, or just behind, any of the above.

We have been lacking striking options for a while, maybe we can have them yet.
New Signing on 15:37 - Feb 7 with 2734 viewsLoyalitat

Why let facts and supporting evidence get in the way of largely confected inaccuracies. It's all Les' fault.
Login to get fewer ads

New Signing on 15:39 - Feb 7 with 2717 viewsfrancisbowles

"Masterson and Smyth both played well for us"

Not really. Masterson showed some promise but couldn't get enough minutes as we had other cbs in front of him. Then he was about to go on loan, got injured and never really performed well again for us or got great reviews on loan.

Smyth, after a few promising appearances, soon found the physicality of the Championship too much for him and had various injuries and mediocre loans. He only seems to have got going again at Orient.
New Signing on 15:45 - Feb 7 with 2672 viewsjohncharles

After all the if’s and buts and the maybe’s at 3pm Saturday Chris Martin will be wearing the hoops at Loftus Road. Let’s get behind him.

Strong and stable my arse.

New Signing on 16:07 - Feb 7 with 2568 viewsQPunkR

New Signing on 15:45 - Feb 7 by johncharles

After all the if’s and buts and the maybe’s at 3pm Saturday Chris Martin will be wearing the hoops at Loftus Road. Let’s get behind him.

We’ll certainly all be behind him - impossible to get round!

*fat joke

QPR - "shit but local"

New Signing on 16:13 - Feb 7 with 2490 viewsWegerles_Stairs

New Signing on 15:08 - Feb 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think there are lots of reasons to criticise Les right now, but the truth doesn’t seem to be enough for some people.

To really hammer home the point you need some outright false statements and more than a dollop of conspiracy.

Works both ways though. The pro-Les band will spin anything to support their narrative too, such as arguing that he saved the club by being relegated and then failing to get into the play-offs in any of the seasons when we had parachute payments.
New Signing on 16:20 - Feb 7 with 2461 viewsdaveB

New Signing on 15:39 - Feb 7 by francisbowles

"Masterson and Smyth both played well for us"

Not really. Masterson showed some promise but couldn't get enough minutes as we had other cbs in front of him. Then he was about to go on loan, got injured and never really performed well again for us or got great reviews on loan.

Smyth, after a few promising appearances, soon found the physicality of the Championship too much for him and had various injuries and mediocre loans. He only seems to have got going again at Orient.

I know i'm just ranting now but Masterson has only started 13 games for us, hasn't started a game since Fulham at home in the cup in 2021. Looked promising, made a few mistakes but are we a club developing players who are going to give him time and games to improve after we saw he had ability 2 years on, only seen once off the bench at Watford to waste time.

In that time we've taken Dion Sanderson on loan, he made mistakes but we kept playing him, if he'd been a QPR player he'd have been dropped and never seen again after Peterbrough. Off on loan somewhere now in league 2.

Smyth did well, won young player of the year then pretty much cut adrift after a poor half at Preston. Rather than play him and see if we can make a player out of him we sent him off on various loans and spent more money on likes of Marc Pugh and Albert Adomah, both did OK but not really what we're supposed to be doing.

I get people saying why worry these players are just not good enough, they are probably right, but there is a reason other than FFP why we can't afford good players and go into seasons with 1 striker and need to sign a 34 year old when you have no one else.

We don't give these kids enough chances and make hasty decisions to send them out on loan forever (no doubt still paying their wages as league 2 sides have no money) and replace them with either loans from other clubs or older not cheap players (Pugh, Rangel, Austin, Adomah etc) who do alright for us but we're back to square one pretty quickly as they are at the end of their career with no sell on value, the budget has been blown again and gets smaller with every passing year

It's a never ending circle of shit
New Signing on 16:21 - Feb 7 with 2459 viewsQPR_Jim

New Signing on 16:13 - Feb 7 by Wegerles_Stairs

Works both ways though. The pro-Les band will spin anything to support their narrative too, such as arguing that he saved the club by being relegated and then failing to get into the play-offs in any of the seasons when we had parachute payments.

The idea that he should have spent more money to stop us being relegated is laughable. Last time we were in that position we spent a fortune on Samba and Remy and ended up in the championship with a record sporting fine. So not sure doing the same would have done much better second time around.
New Signing on 16:53 - Feb 7 with 2271 viewsQPunkR

New Signing on 16:20 - Feb 7 by daveB

I know i'm just ranting now but Masterson has only started 13 games for us, hasn't started a game since Fulham at home in the cup in 2021. Looked promising, made a few mistakes but are we a club developing players who are going to give him time and games to improve after we saw he had ability 2 years on, only seen once off the bench at Watford to waste time.

In that time we've taken Dion Sanderson on loan, he made mistakes but we kept playing him, if he'd been a QPR player he'd have been dropped and never seen again after Peterbrough. Off on loan somewhere now in league 2.

Smyth did well, won young player of the year then pretty much cut adrift after a poor half at Preston. Rather than play him and see if we can make a player out of him we sent him off on various loans and spent more money on likes of Marc Pugh and Albert Adomah, both did OK but not really what we're supposed to be doing.

I get people saying why worry these players are just not good enough, they are probably right, but there is a reason other than FFP why we can't afford good players and go into seasons with 1 striker and need to sign a 34 year old when you have no one else.

We don't give these kids enough chances and make hasty decisions to send them out on loan forever (no doubt still paying their wages as league 2 sides have no money) and replace them with either loans from other clubs or older not cheap players (Pugh, Rangel, Austin, Adomah etc) who do alright for us but we're back to square one pretty quickly as they are at the end of their career with no sell on value, the budget has been blown again and gets smaller with every passing year

It's a never ending circle of shit

I’m afraid we were watching different games - I never thought Masterson looked promising (with the caveat that I’m no football scout!)

QPR - "shit but local"

New Signing on 16:54 - Feb 7 with 2265 viewsAntti_Heinola

New Signing on 16:13 - Feb 7 by Wegerles_Stairs

Literally no one has said any of that, ever.

Bare bones.

New Signing on 16:57 - Feb 7 with 2237 viewspaulparker

New Signing on 12:20 - Feb 7 by daveB

Masterson and Smyth both played well for us and were then loaned out. Smyth young player of the season when we had Eze, Bright and Manning in the team. Played about 4 games for us after that season. Right wingers who have played more than him since he won that award, mid 30's semi retired Marc Pugh and Albert Adomah, and we wonder why we're skint

I find our attitude towards our own players bizarre.

Dion Sanderson was loaned to us last year, not very good but keep playing him every week he might get better.
One of the players we own has a bad game, off you pop on loan or never seen again as we sign someone else. Oh you played crap for a non league team, well we'd better either release you or give you one more year and a few loans, best not play you in the first team though just in case we lose even though we're losing anyway.

It just raises the issue if these players Kellman, Duke-Mckenna, Armstrong, Smyth, Masterson are not good enough why are we signing them in the first place, should we not be doing far better and have a far better hit rate with signings than this. Get those right and you don't need 5 loans a season to bolster the squad but with all of them as we never put them in our team we'll never know if they are good enough or not.

Rafferty Pedder another one, 21 years old now, impressing for the B team and under 21's, never even been on our bench at a club where we had 2 keepers sat on the bench the other week, out of contract this summer do we ever dare to look at him, maybe give him 10 minutes in the first team.

We signed one from Newcastle last year, named after Stan Bowles, never seen again.

I do get it that these kids may well be utter shit but why have an academy if you never use any of them, that was supposed to be the point in going down this route and if all the kids are shit why are we signing them to pro contracts

I know it's hard and never easy to get signings right and we all got carried away with that lockdown season but we don't make it easy for ourselves

You can also add Manning to this list who we loaned to Rotherham whilst the team was struggling
What was the result , he leaves because the club never rated him , same as BOS couldn’t get in that team when he should of, if he had we may of had a better chance of getting him on a new contract
So many errors made in the last few years the decision making has been poor
The DOF and coaching team are drawing good money from the club without producing anything

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

New Signing on 16:59 - Feb 7 with 2223 viewsLoyalitat

New Signing on 16:21 - Feb 7 by QPR_Jim

The idea that he should have spent more money to stop us being relegated is laughable. Last time we were in that position we spent a fortune on Samba and Remy and ended up in the championship with a record sporting fine. So not sure doing the same would have done much better second time around.

There are still some supporters who maintain that we should have agreed to Defoe's insane weekly wage demands of 90K, as he would have kept us up. I'm sure that Brentford aren't paying any of their current players the ridiculous amounts we were paying between 2011/12 to 2014/15.

If yet another throw of the final dice had happened and failed, then the DoF would have been blamed for that too.
New Signing on 17:13 - Feb 7 with 2137 viewsDejR_vu

New Signing on 12:23 - Feb 7 by Hayesender

I think I may have accidentally reported this thread for abuse. Ignore

The club should be reported. Look what it’s doing to people

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

New Signing on 17:15 - Feb 7 with 2118 viewsBlue_Castello

Interesting people keep bringing up Manning he's currently refusing to sign a contract extension at Swansea even though Russell Martin says it's a good deal, the players have all the power these days and their agents do all the negotiating,
We don't know any of the finer details in respect of Manning and BOS but it's always the agents pushing for more money...
New Signing on 17:18 - Feb 7 with 2106 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

New Signing on 17:15 - Feb 7 by Blue_Castello

Interesting people keep bringing up Manning he's currently refusing to sign a contract extension at Swansea even though Russell Martin says it's a good deal, the players have all the power these days and their agents do all the negotiating,
We don't know any of the finer details in respect of Manning and BOS but it's always the agents pushing for more money...

Bright’s not pulled up any trees by the way. Seems we got the best out of him.
New Signing on 17:43 - Feb 7 with 1992 viewsWadR

New Signing on 17:18 - Feb 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

Bright’s not pulled up any trees by the way. Seems we got the best out of him.

I dunno, he's a regular starter for a side in the Europa League knockout rounds, capped by Nigeria and linked throughout January to Premier League clubs for ~£10m. It's well trodden ground and I think more a failing of McClaren (and by extension the owners for appointing him) than Ferdinand but I think it's clear we missed out on significant sell on value with Bright.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 17:43]
New Signing on 17:47 - Feb 7 with 1965 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

New Signing on 17:43 - Feb 7 by WadR

I dunno, he's a regular starter for a side in the Europa League knockout rounds, capped by Nigeria and linked throughout January to Premier League clubs for ~£10m. It's well trodden ground and I think more a failing of McClaren (and by extension the owners for appointing him) than Ferdinand but I think it's clear we missed out on significant sell on value with Bright.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 17:43]

I’m talking more about his goal and assist stats rather than his sell on value.

Yet to get one of either this season with Fehne, a side that will be top of the league if they win their games in hand.
New Signing on 17:50 - Feb 7 with 1938 viewsstevec

New Signing on 17:47 - Feb 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

I’m talking more about his goal and assist stats rather than his sell on value.

Yet to get one of either this season with Fehne, a side that will be top of the league if they win their games in hand.

I think he’s playing as a full back these days which might explain those stats.
New Signing on 18:26 - Feb 7 with 1794 viewsCLAREMAN1995

New Signing on 12:42 - Feb 7 by Paddyhoops

Prepared to give Martin a chance . He’s a decent pro, he holds the ball wall up well.
He’s big fat arse should shield the ball wall well and bring chair and Lowe into the picture.
Worth a punt for three months.
We can’t afford anything else and if we get 4 wins on the board fairly sharpish, we can get Sinclair back into the picture for a run of games .
Not sure if Armstrong will work out though. He’s approach work and general speed is excellent but he looks like a frightened rabbit once he gets anywhere near the six yard box.

I think you nailed it Paddyhoops that sums up Armstrong in a nutshell
But if he has that speed and power why is he not getting coached up to finish and be calmer in the box.
Strictly from a ROI perspective look at Ferguson at Brighton (before that pr*ck from Liverpool took him out )he was behind Armstrong in development was he not but with their excellent coaching system he is a legit PL striker and getting better .
I like Martin he will really help the other Strikers and any goals will be very welcome
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024