Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Signing 15:51 - Feb 6 with 56106 viewsAntti_Heinola

Club just teasing a new signing on twitter...

must be an out of contract player?

Bare bones.

New Signing on 17:44 - Feb 6 with 3009 viewsjoolsyp

New Signing on 17:08 - Feb 6 by A40Bosh

Just watched it.

God I would love to be only as fat as Chris Martin!

Fat is obviously relative, he looks in pretty good shape compared to my Dad bod!

Comes across really well in that video I thought. Might provide a bit of leadership and nous on the pitch which we've been seriously lacking. Would love him to score against 'Wall.

I love the way he says of his time at Fulham "Stefan was marauding forward from midfield in those days"
New Signing on 17:44 - Feb 6 with 3006 viewsJuzzie

It's just for a few months. You'd think by the OTT reactions we've signed Bosingwa again on a 10 year contract @ £100k per week and expect him to play up front.

Let's see how it goes first.
New Signing on 17:45 - Feb 6 with 2993 viewsLazyFan

New Signing on 16:55 - Feb 6 by HOOPNO7

Jurgen Locadia, I saw he was back from Iran (Persopolis) and available on a free. Our scouts have probably never heard of him. I would give him a go but would he want to come here

Yeah, he would have been an option but he probably wants lots of money. A more affordable option which has been scoring in the lower leagues and needs a club is Connor Wickham.

9 Goals in 20 starts for them and that's from a team in the bottom of League One.

One may say he's not much better than Martin, and this is true at this level, but he probably is STILL better than Martin just and probably could have got him for the same money as he would be desperate to play at this level too!

As we were are scraping the barrel, then that would have been a better scrape for me!

zzzzzzzzzz

New Signing on 17:46 - Feb 6 with 2982 viewsR_from_afar

Our only aerial threat up front is out for the foreseeable future and we are on a terrible run, sliding towards danger. Something needed to be done and the club has taken action.

Obviously, you would want as many signings as possible to be carefully planned and part of a long term strategy, but things can go wrong and a short term fix can be required.

Even ManUre, with their strong academy, large squad and huge budgets have had to get a new man in at short notice in this window, and no, I am not saying Martin is on a par with Sabitzer.

He (Chris Martin, not Marcel Sabitzer ) has got my full support and I hope he proves all the doubters wrong.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

New Signing on 17:47 - Feb 6 with 2979 viewsdmm

So can I assume most of us would have preferred to have kept to what we have?

At the very least, CM provides a striking option we don't have at the moment. Okay, he's not a great option but he'll do stuff our present strikers don't do.

I can see why we've done this.
New Signing on 17:47 - Feb 6 with 2976 viewsFG_R

Chris Martin consciously uncoupling from his markers.
New Signing on 17:50 - Feb 6 with 2944 viewsDavieQPR

Had to have some sort of cover for Dykes. Armstrong is still an athlete with boots on.
New Signing on 17:52 - Feb 6 with 2905 viewsSuperhoop83

He will be judged solely by his performances on the pitch, but he comes across very well on the QPR website.

I must be insane but I'm almost looking forward to Saturday now.

Suffering since 1978.

Login to get fewer ads

New Signing on 17:53 - Feb 6 with 2905 viewsE17hoop

So we'll be playing Martin up top, Lowe as a 10 and Chair and Willock on the wings trying to sling crosses in.

Perm 2 from Dozzell/Field/Johansen in the centre mid and that's your attacking 6 for the rest of the season with a bit of Amos and Adomah thrown in for variety.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

New Signing on 17:54 - Feb 6 with 2885 views1JD

New Signing on 17:42 - Feb 6 by PinnerPaul

Very professional

He’s always had a inflated sense of self-importance. So it’s very convenient for him to jump on the QPR negativity bandwagon.

But Martin was far more effective than him last season. And that’s a fact.
New Signing on 17:54 - Feb 6 with 2874 viewsdaveB

New Signing on 17:32 - Feb 6 by 1JD

Austin was let go because;
- he scored 4 goals in 34 games at championship level, with 1 assist, last season. That’s 1 goal contribution in every 6.8 games.
- he couldn’t play up front on his own (no hold up game)
- he was on a fortune

Chris Martin has been signed because;
- we need cover for Dykes
- he scored 12 goals in 45 games, with 6 assists, last season. That’s 1 goal contribution in every 2.5 games.
- he CAN play the lone striker role as he has superior hold up play
- he’s no doubt cost effective, and is also bit of a nasty bastard which is exactly what we need

I don’t get your comparison.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2023 17:33]

He sounds great, I take it all back inspired stuff

I had no problem releasing Austin, was the right call but with the money saved from him to go out and sign no one as his replacement and leave yourself needing to replace the only other striker we had by signing a 34 year old on a free who is older and slower because you are desperate is piss poor.

The recruitment last summer by Beale and the club has proved to be a disaster imo and has left us in a right mess.
New Signing on 17:56 - Feb 6 with 2846 viewsdaveB

Very professional

considering he was released on a zoom call as the club wanted younger players and asked if he was going to retire, you can see where he's coming from
[Post edited 6 Feb 2023 18:10]
New Signing on 17:56 - Feb 6 with 2790 viewsstainrods_elbow

Very professional

What a dork (Austin, not Martin - though perhaps we could kind of splice them together, Fly-style, and buy an Austin Martin)! Martin, even now, is a better bet at this level than Charlie ever could be, sad to say - and if he (Austin, not Martin) can't see that, that's part of the reason he's now playing for Swindon!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

New Signing on 18:01 - Feb 6 with 2794 viewsParkRoyalR

New Signing on 17:56 - Feb 6 by daveB

considering he was released on a zoom call as the club wanted younger players and asked if he was going to retire, you can see where he's coming from
[Post edited 6 Feb 2023 18:10]

That was the hierarchy being polite, he knew the reasons, they knew the reasons, they just tried to be sensitive and professional about it so as not to damage his future career prospects,

If he worked for me, I would have walked across the pitch that night and into the Ellerslie Stand and sacked him on the spot, and having run my own companies for a long time, you'll have to take my word on that one.
New Signing on 18:07 - Feb 6 with 2729 viewsBlue_Castello

Very professional

Yeah he's never been one to hold back, he just needs to watch the videos of him last season, ran out of speed and energy far too quickly and I'm guessing was on a massive wage which took a big chunk of the Eze money, sorry Charlie love you for all your past exploits and commitment to the club but letting you go was the right decision unless you wanted to play for peanuts and sit on the bench a lot.
Agree with you totally on yours and Brian's comments, it's not a gamble, he will be cheap and we are desperate for a target man.
New Signing on 18:09 - Feb 6 with 2710 viewsHooping_Mad

New Signing on 16:20 - Feb 6 by daveB

To be in a position where we got rid of Charlie Austin because he is old and slow and 6 months on we are signing Chris Martin is diabolical from the club

Played 3 scored 3 so far. For what it's worth.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

New Signing on 18:11 - Feb 6 with 2687 views1JD

New Signing on 17:54 - Feb 6 by daveB

He sounds great, I take it all back inspired stuff

I had no problem releasing Austin, was the right call but with the money saved from him to go out and sign no one as his replacement and leave yourself needing to replace the only other striker we had by signing a 34 year old on a free who is older and slower because you are desperate is piss poor.

The recruitment last summer by Beale and the club has proved to be a disaster imo and has left us in a right mess.

Not sure why you felt the need to make a sneering comment.

I agree the club have not done a great job in the striker recruitment department, but the incredible negativity around Martin conveniently ignores his record at this level. He’s a short term fix, is a hold-up type of striker, scores a few goals, and is a nasty bastard. All of which we need. Granted he isn’t mobile, but ticking all boxes is a bit unrealistic.

Lets give the guy a chance before a ball has even been kicked.
New Signing on 18:12 - Feb 6 with 2670 viewspaulparker

I don’t know what’s more unbelievable the fact we signed this fat useless lump or that the usual suspects are coming on here saying it’s a good signing and we are lucky that he is coming here to do us a favour
I’d rather recall Kelman or play Armstrong for 3 months

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

New Signing on 18:12 - Feb 6 with 2673 viewsdaveB

New Signing on 18:01 - Feb 6 by ParkRoyalR

That was the hierarchy being polite, he knew the reasons, they knew the reasons, they just tried to be sensitive and professional about it so as not to damage his future career prospects,

If he worked for me, I would have walked across the pitch that night and into the Ellerslie Stand and sacked him on the spot, and having run my own companies for a long time, you'll have to take my word on that one.

asking him if he planned to retire was being polite?

Look I get why they released him and not for a second suggesting he should have stayed but from his point of view to be told that he was basically finished and then see us sign a 34 year old 6 months later is quite funny
New Signing on 18:14 - Feb 6 with 2645 viewsloftboy

Can we at least not judge him until he’s actually played or us?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

New Signing on 18:17 - Feb 6 with 2619 viewsHeadington

Seem to recall McClaren tried to sign him (4?) years ago and he was regarded as over the hill then, and club hierarchy vetoed it (or so we were led to believe). If it is where we are at now, then it all sounds a bit desperate and little to do with any plan or 'project'.
New Signing on 18:17 - Feb 6 with 2614 viewsdaveB

New Signing on 18:11 - Feb 6 by 1JD

Not sure why you felt the need to make a sneering comment.

I agree the club have not done a great job in the striker recruitment department, but the incredible negativity around Martin conveniently ignores his record at this level. He’s a short term fix, is a hold-up type of striker, scores a few goals, and is a nasty bastard. All of which we need. Granted he isn’t mobile, but ticking all boxes is a bit unrealistic.

Lets give the guy a chance before a ball has even been kicked.

yeah fair play, apologies a bit unnecessary that, having a bad day

I don't rate Martin but good luck to him, hope he does well and he probably will as I've moaned for a change.

For me, to be in this position that we need to sign this kind of player is a complete failure on the clubs part. Why go on about a pathway to the first team if you go out and sign a 34 year old when your only striker gets injured. We've paid money for Armstrong and kelman, are they ever going to play? If they are no good why did we buy them. Why are we bothering with an academy if we never use any players in it.. We've put ourselves in this position with a bloody awful recruitment strategy last summer, I can't sit here and say well done to them for this.

I get none of that is Chris Martins fault but this is the last straw for me.
New Signing on 18:31 - Feb 6 with 2474 viewsHunterhoop

New Signing on 18:12 - Feb 6 by paulparker

I don’t know what’s more unbelievable the fact we signed this fat useless lump or that the usual suspects are coming on here saying it’s a good signing and we are lucky that he is coming here to do us a favour
I’d rather recall Kelman or play Armstrong for 3 months

That would be attempting to stick to the plan, and what I’d prefer too. Probably wouldn’t win many more but hopefully still stay up. If like me, you’re comfortable with that, this signing does rankle.

I wanted mouthy bastards to add some bollocks to this side, but ideally I was hoping we could sign some from the lower leagues who were still mobile and might become sellable, not go down the VERY short term path again.
New Signing on 18:35 - Feb 6 with 2433 views1JD

New Signing on 18:17 - Feb 6 by daveB

I don't rate Martin but good luck to him, hope he does well and he probably will as I've moaned for a change.

For me, to be in this position that we need to sign this kind of player is a complete failure on the clubs part. Why go on about a pathway to the first team if you go out and sign a 34 year old when your only striker gets injured. We've paid money for Armstrong and kelman, are they ever going to play? If they are no good why did we buy them. Why are we bothering with an academy if we never use any players in it.. We've put ourselves in this position with a bloody awful recruitment strategy last summer, I can't sit here and say well done to them for this.

No worries Dave. I agree with all your questions below about the academy and recruitment. I have very similar concerns and questions myself. The only mitigation I’ve got here is that neither Kelman nor Armstrong are a back to goal type with aerial ability, and that’s what we need in Dykes’ absence.

A further valid question of course is why that type of striker, an understudy/alternative to Dykes, was not bought in during the summer. But perhaps the budget was maxed out. That said, a younger version should of been bought in/scouted. Although maybe they have earmarked Alfie Lloyd for this role, but having watched him he’s not that type either! Yet anyway.
New Signing on 18:37 - Feb 6 with 2416 viewsQPR_Jim

New Signing on 18:17 - Feb 6 by daveB

I think there's a difference between loaning in players to sit on the bench and not having a fit senior striker in the squad. The situation with Dykes is unfortunate, especially after we've released Bonne but we need a value solution because we can't blow a load of money in January on a temporary fix.

I want to see Armstrong get time in the first team as much as anyone but I don't think having him as our only option would be good management on the clubs behalf or good for his development. We can't recall Kelman and he's getting good experience in league 2 so why spoil that.

It seems sensible to me, not inspiring much hope for the rest of the season but it does make sense.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024