Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
James McLean 15:13 - Nov 10 with 12379 viewsHayesender

Apparently dropped by Wigan today for refusing to wear a poppy.

Now although I think he is an absolute c@#t for doing so, should he or anyone be forced to do something against their will?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

James McLean on 17:28 - Nov 10 with 2129 viewsBrianMcCarthy

James McLean on 17:23 - Nov 10 by distortR

Bob Malcolm without the pace and vision doesn't start to do you justice.

And I was the fast sweeper in our centre-back partnership!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

James McLean on 17:29 - Nov 10 with 2123 viewsCamberleyR

I don't know why anybody is surprised about this, he did exactly the same thing last year when he was playing for Sunderland.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

James McLean on 17:39 - Nov 10 with 2096 viewsHayesender

This weekend I've seen black, white, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Germans, Argentineans and a lot more besides them wear a red poppy.

Go earn your money in the league of Ireland James McLean, as you surely wouldn't want her Maj weighing down your wallet

Poll: Shamima Beghum

James McLean on 17:51 - Nov 10 with 2073 viewsQPR_John

James McLean on 17:09 - Nov 10 by jonno

Out of interest - why do you think someone would not want to wear a poppy?

Something I would like to know. What do people not wanting to wear the poppy think it represents. Surely they cannot object to honouring those who have died so they have the choice of not wearing the poppy.
James McLean on 18:00 - Nov 10 with 2035 viewsSpiritofGregory

He should be reminded that had those we commemorate not sacrificed their lives, we would be living in a different sociey and the Kunt would not be a footballer earning millions.

Hate footballers, who the hell do they think they are?
James McLean on 18:01 - Nov 10 with 2048 viewsBklynRanger

It's obvious isn't it? He's from a staunchly Catholic part of Stroke City, all his childhood friends probably think the same way he does, it's just not something he would touch.

I don't agree with it. In fact I think he's all mouth. The wee shit leads a privileged life and can't have seen too much of 'The Troubles' or anything like that during his young life. But I can still see why he obviously wouldn't wear one.
James McLean on 18:03 - Nov 10 with 2036 viewsQPR_John

James McLean on 18:01 - Nov 10 by BklynRanger

It's obvious isn't it? He's from a staunchly Catholic part of Stroke City, all his childhood friends probably think the same way he does, it's just not something he would touch.

I don't agree with it. In fact I think he's all mouth. The wee shit leads a privileged life and can't have seen too much of 'The Troubles' or anything like that during his young life. But I can still see why he obviously wouldn't wear one.

Again I ask why. Does being a catholic mean you do not believe in the freedoms that were fought and died for
James McLean on 18:10 - Nov 10 with 1994 viewsSpiritofGregory

If he is so proud to be Irish what the hell is doing living in this country, surely he'd want to stay over there?

I'd have more respect for him if he told the truth and said that he is too scared to wear a poppy for fear of reprisals.

People in this country should give him hell, He is over here living a life most of us can only dream of and he has the temerity to act in such a disrepectful way.
Login to get fewer ads

James McLean on 18:11 - Nov 10 with 2004 viewsMrSheen

James McLean on 18:10 - Nov 10 by SpiritofGregory

If he is so proud to be Irish what the hell is doing living in this country, surely he'd want to stay over there?

I'd have more respect for him if he told the truth and said that he is too scared to wear a poppy for fear of reprisals.

People in this country should give him hell, He is over here living a life most of us can only dream of and he has the temerity to act in such a disrepectful way.

Not true apparently, actually injured.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/coyle-embarrassed-by-claim
[Post edited 10 Nov 2013 18:15]
James McLean on 18:15 - Nov 10 with 1996 viewsBrianMcCarthy

James McLean on 17:51 - Nov 10 by QPR_John

Something I would like to know. What do people not wanting to wear the poppy think it represents. Surely they cannot object to honouring those who have died so they have the choice of not wearing the poppy.

I'll have a go at answering that honestly, as long as everyone takes me at my word that I'm genuinely respectful of those who lost their lives.

I like the idea of honouring the war dead, and would wear a red poppy if I felt confident that it educated kids about the utter futility of war, if the day was a day about pacifism and education about the real reasons that young, often working-class, men and women are hauled from their loved ones and forced to die and to kill.

Instead what I fear we have occasionally is the message that soldiers are 'heroes' whose deaths have always been 'to protect freedom'. I think that argument could have been made after the two World Wars, when men and women were drafted to their deaths when the world was in real peril, but not of late when they are sent to die in illegal wars that seem to me to be more to do with redistribution of wealth from one elite to another.

I also think the 'heroes' refrain is dangerous, I think it lets off the hook war criminals in government who murder their own and others for political and economical gain, and I think there's a real danger with the way it's packaged now that more young boys and girls will enlist and die. I don't believe that soldiers are heroes but rather to be pitied as their health and very lives are taken from them before they've even begun. Continually calling them heroes as if it's an unassailable truth carries with it a danger that more will follow with heroic dreams in their heads.

That's my honest opinion, it's genuinely not meant to be disrespectful to those who went through horror that I can't possibly imagine, but it's born out of a fear that the story of their lives and deaths is being twisted to take the attention away from those that sent them to their deaths and will lead to more following them, and so the cycle of war, death and suffering can continue whenever the war criminals pick another oil-rich country to invade.

I'm aware that this is a day for Remembrance, so I hope I've been respectful in my reply to you, John.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2013 18:16]

James McLean on 18:22 - Nov 10 with 1965 viewsLandofoz89

Very controversial subject this, and not one I would go wading into without some thought. But McLean is clearly standing his ground, and if, as has been reported, he grew up on the estate where people were killed by British soldiers on 'bloody Sunday', there may well be some outside influences.

Meet me by the railway track

James McLean on 18:23 - Nov 10 with 1948 viewsSpiritofGregory

People need to adopt the traditions of this country if they don't like them they know what they can do.

You would never get way with this type of behaviour abroad. Remember what happened to Anelka in China when he refused to carry out the tradition of bowing to the crowd at the end of the game?
James McLean on 18:30 - Nov 10 with 1928 viewsColombiR

James McLean on 18:15 - Nov 10 by BrianMcCarthy

I'll have a go at answering that honestly, as long as everyone takes me at my word that I'm genuinely respectful of those who lost their lives.

I like the idea of honouring the war dead, and would wear a red poppy if I felt confident that it educated kids about the utter futility of war, if the day was a day about pacifism and education about the real reasons that young, often working-class, men and women are hauled from their loved ones and forced to die and to kill.

Instead what I fear we have occasionally is the message that soldiers are 'heroes' whose deaths have always been 'to protect freedom'. I think that argument could have been made after the two World Wars, when men and women were drafted to their deaths when the world was in real peril, but not of late when they are sent to die in illegal wars that seem to me to be more to do with redistribution of wealth from one elite to another.

I also think the 'heroes' refrain is dangerous, I think it lets off the hook war criminals in government who murder their own and others for political and economical gain, and I think there's a real danger with the way it's packaged now that more young boys and girls will enlist and die. I don't believe that soldiers are heroes but rather to be pitied as their health and very lives are taken from them before they've even begun. Continually calling them heroes as if it's an unassailable truth carries with it a danger that more will follow with heroic dreams in their heads.

That's my honest opinion, it's genuinely not meant to be disrespectful to those who went through horror that I can't possibly imagine, but it's born out of a fear that the story of their lives and deaths is being twisted to take the attention away from those that sent them to their deaths and will lead to more following them, and so the cycle of war, death and suffering can continue whenever the war criminals pick another oil-rich country to invade.

I'm aware that this is a day for Remembrance, so I hope I've been respectful in my reply to you, John.

Excellent reply, Brian.
Pretty much exactly how I feel.

In my humble opinion, I think most of the posts in this thread have completely missed the point:
How can wearing a poppy mean anything at all if it is something we do not do out of choice but rather are obliged to do by social pressure to not offend (or to carry out our job, if these reports are correct)?

Personally I don't usually wear a poppy because I feel it is often hijacked by nationalistic sentiment that I do not agree with, and can often crush debate about whether we should still be sending our young men into war.
Even if I'm wrong on both these points, I can remember the dead and those who gave their lives in the world wars (usually without choice), regardless of whether I wear a poppy or not.
James McLean on 18:30 - Nov 10 with 1926 viewspaulparker

he is a kunt end of, the pr*ck refused to wear one last year as well
I hope he breaks both his legs

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

James McLean on 18:34 - Nov 10 with 1914 viewsBklynRanger

James McLean on 18:03 - Nov 10 by QPR_John

Again I ask why. Does being a catholic mean you do not believe in the freedoms that were fought and died for

You didn't ask me why in the first place did you?

Look people can have a different opinion to McLean, which I myself do. But if you were to take stroll through that side of Derry/Londonderry (there's a clue) it might not take too long before you decide that people like him are not overly enamoured with the United Kingdom and it seems fair to assume that he includes poppies in his list of things that symbolize that union.
James McLean on 18:38 - Nov 10 with 1821 viewsBushman

Anyone????

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

James McLean on 18:38 - Nov 10 with 1818 viewsTheBlob

James McLean on 18:34 - Nov 10 by BklynRanger

You didn't ask me why in the first place did you?

Look people can have a different opinion to McLean, which I myself do. But if you were to take stroll through that side of Derry/Londonderry (there's a clue) it might not take too long before you decide that people like him are not overly enamoured with the United Kingdom and it seems fair to assume that he includes poppies in his list of things that symbolize that union.

They don't mind the odd £ though.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

James McLean on 18:41 - Nov 10 with 1799 viewskensalriser

Wearing a poppy should be a matter of personal choice, not coercion. it's that simple.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

James McLean on 18:43 - Nov 10 with 1785 viewsBrianMcCarthy

James McLean on 18:38 - Nov 10 by Bushman

Anyone????

I had an effort at it, Bushman.

James McLean on 18:44 - Nov 10 with 1784 viewsBklynRanger

I think there's unfortunately a lot of truth in that, Brian. I do also think it's possible though to wear one for the positive reasons you mention.
James McLean on 18:45 - Nov 10 with 1779 viewsBrianMcCarthy

James McLean on 18:44 - Nov 10 by BklynRanger

I think there's unfortunately a lot of truth in that, Brian. I do also think it's possible though to wear one for the positive reasons you mention.

I can see that too, Brooklyn, of course. To each their own, naturally.

James McLean on 18:51 - Nov 10 with 1762 viewsFredManRave

James McLean on 18:15 - Nov 10 by BrianMcCarthy

As per usual a lucid and respectful post Brian and also as per usual one that in principal I agree with.

Another question. Would you respect a minutes silence if you were at a football game over the Remembrance weekend bearing in mind is stands for exactly the same principles as a poppy.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

James McLean on 18:54 - Nov 10 with 1748 viewsJamie

James McLean on 18:11 - Nov 10 by MrSheen

Not true apparently, actually injured.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/coyle-embarrassed-by-claim
[Post edited 10 Nov 2013 18:15]

Twitter.
James McLean on 18:58 - Nov 10 with 1731 viewsMrSheen

James McLean on 18:54 - Nov 10 by Jamie

Twitter.

Nothing from him, who is saying that this happened? Plenty of liars on twittter.
James McLean on 19:02 - Nov 10 with 1713 viewsNW5Hoop

I wear a poppy every year.

But I get embarrassed by the furore when people don't wear poppies (or, according to the Mail, don't wear them soon enough). The very symbolism of the poppy is diminished when it just becomes something you have to do, whether or not you know what it represents, or want to show your recognition of the death of all those young men over the years (let's not get into the idea of "their sacrifice" — in WWI, they had their lives sacrificed for them). When I see a Premier League club with the poppy printed on the shirt, I think how ridiculous it is: why should 11 players, most of whom come from abroad, be forced into a display they have nothing to do with? What's it doing on a football kit, anyway? If they wear poppies with their normal clothes, great, I am glad for them and pleased they did. But the reflex thing of YOU MUST WEAR A POPPY, which is really only a decade old, is no tribute to the soldiers. It's rightwing political correctness gone mad.

I apologise in advance to those this will offend, but it's what I believe. And, as I say, I wear a poppy every year.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024