Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
James McLean 15:13 - Nov 10 with 12366 viewsHayesender

Apparently dropped by Wigan today for refusing to wear a poppy.

Now although I think he is an absolute c@#t for doing so, should he or anyone be forced to do something against their will?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

James McLean on 01:15 - Nov 11 with 1526 viewsqprnaas

James McLean on 00:10 - Nov 11 by BrianMcCarthy

Urinating on century-old monuments?

They were different times, and different people. I had relatives who fought in the War of Independence, I had other relatives who were pacifists and who under duress and in great danger stood by their beliefs and refused to take up arms. I'm old enough to have known some of them before they passed away, and they told me some of what they endured, and what they inflicted. It was astounding. After the War of Independence many of these people fought each other in the Civil War. They were times of unimaginable horror fought out by British and Irish, but out of those wars came respect and reconciliation, and an astonishing capacity to live and work together as we do now both in Ireland and in Britain, so much so that there is currently a move to turn that very monument in Kilmichael into a salute to the dead on both sides, and have the names of the fallen British soldiers put beside the Irish names forever.

And your sole contribution is to urinate on monuments. What sadness would produce such an act. What terrible lovelessness. What a pity.

Some really good points above and great discussuion, I decided i had to start an account

Firstly in my view, he should be given the right to choose to wear the poppy. If we live in a truly free society we should not be forced to do anything as long what we do does not inflict harm on another in which case we should be stopped (for example robbing someone). Choosing not to wear the poppy some may find annoying, disrespectful or whatever but that is what happens when we live in a free society.. people have different opinions but we have to accept this so long as it is not directly infringing on someone elses freedom. In the case of the disrupting a minutes silence, I believe that is infringing on 20,000 peoples wish for a minutes silence and should be respected. I am sure McClean did not make noise during the last years minute silence.

I like McClean am from Ireland and I most probably like McClean understand the poppy represents rememberance for all British servicemen who have died in conflicts since the 1st world war. While it is a travesty that so many men and women have died fighting abroad, we must also realise that wars are political and you do not necessarily have to agree with the cause of the war (not all wars are good!) so why would you wear a poppy which is essentially a political symbol remembering people who died in what some may argue are just and unjust wars. McClean probably does not want to remember the Bristish soldiers who served and died in Ireland as many British people would choose not to remember those who died flighting against British forces no matter what country they are currently in.

It is very sad that there is pressure to wear a poppy within football. Individualism (beside on the pitch) is surpressed in football to promote conformity to the interests of the status quo- the goverment, the sponsors, the multimillionaire capitalist owners- Obey and do not question- and to be honest, most footballers just go along with it because they know that if they step outta line it will hurt them in their pockets or they just don't care or think about it- great role models huh?

Let us also remember Robbie Fowler who was fined for supporting the dockers in Liverpool.... surely there was nothing wrong in that but he was fined for expressing a political opinion. The difference is his political opinion is that which is not accepted by the powers that be. To go on another tangent, anti-racism is championed in the modern game but there is none of a similar support for homosexual footballers who are scared shitless to come out!

Basically, the way things are going, if not all footballers and male public figues have handlebar mustasches by this time next movember they'll be getting booed and spat at... Time to respect each others choices and get busy supporting your own!
James McLean on 01:15 - Nov 11 with 1525 viewsBrianMcCarthy

James McLean on 01:00 - Nov 11 by HollowayRanger

your out of date funny how they can find the funds to do it all up while cutting services there

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/british-forces-will-not-be-commemorated-at-

quite from the kilmichael ambush page on facebook

Today marks the 92nd anniversary of the Kilmichael ambush, this day 92 years ago, Just one week after Bloody Sunday the IRA column consisting of 36 men, who were brought together through love for our beautiful island, under the command of Tom Barry killed seventeen members of the RIC Auxiliary division (Black and Tans) in a well planned ambush at Kilmichael, Co. Cork. Sadly Three brave IRA men were killed at the site.

dont get me from if your irish then i guess they would have been your freedom fighters and im half irish but being born in england im english they were terrorists

I think it will still happen, and there's lots of support for it.

I don't believe in labels like freedom fighters or terrorists. I'm against war, and names matter little to me. I studied history, including Irish history, in Ireland and in England and I learned that those names are interchangeable depending on the author.

I find what you did on that monument unimaginable. And very sad.

'Night all.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

James McLean on 01:25 - Nov 11 with 1517 viewsBklynRanger

Holloway, you have a fcuking nerve talking in that fashion, you really do.

I'm from the opposite side of town to Brian's people, Northern Irishly speaking, and even I can see the merit in his words. I'm not speaking for anyone here, but I think part of the reason why people in the South (of Ireland) didn't even want to know about the problems in N Ireland during the 80s and 90s was that it was no longer ideology and a defensive underdog stance, it was nasty, 'I'm the big man', territorial slaughter.

None of which is your business these days quite frankly. I've never had a problem with English people who had Irish parents. Until they start preaching.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2013 3:57]
James McLean on 02:33 - Nov 11 with 1499 viewsSonofNorfolt

Bernd, my great German mate, and as big an Anglophile as you'd ever meet, texted me yesterday and asked why there are red roses on all the teams shirts this weekend?
I replied that since 11am 11/11/18 poppies are worn to remember ALL victims of wars and a minutes silence is held then.
This is why I wear a poppy.
If it is not the reason, it should be, and should be honoured worldwide.
Obviously the Russians never suffered, and had no influence in WWII,( we are always told the Americans won it) and every Kraut was a Nazi as were the Italians, until they changed their minds. Coventry was far worse than Dresden, and the Japanese people deserved Hiroshima, and even Nagasaki. Never mentioned are the Chinese who lost untold millions, but like Rwanda two decades ago, it doesn't matter.
Not too sure about most of Vichy France though!
The Afghanis need to be restrained, but we're not sure why, so we'll pull out anyway.
Our moral highground is not relevant anymore, and whilst I'm not anti the sentiments of the money collected here and by 'Help for Heroes', there should be no need as the Government, all Govt's, should provide the finance for all injured ex-servicemen no matter what the cost. We're simply being used by conditioning and guilt to recall our Commonwealth past, with all the relevance of Holloway Ranger's comments.

Poppy Day should now be extended and clarified to remember everyone who suffered and died in conflicts over the centuries.

Oh yeah, another thing, sparkly poppies, worn as a fashion statement on the X-Factor and the like. FU CK OFF. Y ou really don't get this you ignorant, talentless, clueless CU NTS. .
James McLean on 07:17 - Nov 11 with 1443 viewskomradkirk

Today is 11/11/11

Lest we forget
James McLean on 10:14 - Nov 11 with 1352 viewsTheBlob

I don't wear one,I'm not morally bankrupt as the implication often is but I prefer to keep personal torment inside my own head.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

James McLean on 11:39 - Nov 11 with 1307 viewshoopstilidie

Over 200,000 Irishmen fought in the 1st World War, in several theatres and just under 30,000 died.

Why people would actively choose not to remember them purely due to their nationality is not something I understand.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

James McLean on 11:55 - Nov 11 with 1287 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

James McLean on 11:56 - Nov 11 with 1286 viewspomanjou

I don't wear one. Never have.

I do play snooker at the local United Services Club.

I do contribute a fiver each year (it should not be necessary).

I do attend the local ceremony (and leave when political parties start laying their wreaths)

I have my own (ex squaddie) memories and views.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024