Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McClaren incoming 15:31 - May 1 with 143967 viewshubble

...according to a poster on WATRB...

Read it here, if you're not averse to a bit of rough: http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/general/qpr-fans/2464866-mclaren-new-ma

[Post edited 1 May 2018 15:37]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

McClaren incoming on 13:36 - May 2 with 4073 viewsrsonist

The merest hint of unpleasantness that Ollie may be pushed rather than jump and everyone's shuffling their position. Ollie's had a good recent run and the vibes are positive at the moment but let's not gussy up the whole narrative in broad strokes just yet.

We've all voiced plenty of concerns this season about how erratic management will affect the development of youth players moving forward (never mind wasted investments like Sylla, Wszolek, Wheeler etc). I think the board are more than within their rights to consider carefully whether Ollie does the rest of the behind the scenes structure justice.

It's not an easy decision - it's a very fine margin indeed - but to say that to even think it is somehow out of hand or uncalled for - unethical even! - is sentimental codswallop.
McClaren incoming on 13:54 - May 2 with 3959 viewsNorthernr

McClaren incoming on 12:19 - May 2 by RANGERS4EVER

5 pages of this- anyone know whether this has any actual truth?

Is there concrete evidence, because a guy saying it on WATRB is as truthful to me as a story in the Mirror

There's truth in it. Whether it ends up being McClaren or not don't know (they like him) but they're actively looking for replacements.

This post has been edited by an administrator
McClaren incoming on 13:54 - May 2 with 3955 viewsrobith

McClaren incoming on 13:36 - May 2 by rsonist

The merest hint of unpleasantness that Ollie may be pushed rather than jump and everyone's shuffling their position. Ollie's had a good recent run and the vibes are positive at the moment but let's not gussy up the whole narrative in broad strokes just yet.

We've all voiced plenty of concerns this season about how erratic management will affect the development of youth players moving forward (never mind wasted investments like Sylla, Wszolek, Wheeler etc). I think the board are more than within their rights to consider carefully whether Ollie does the rest of the behind the scenes structure justice.

It's not an easy decision - it's a very fine margin indeed - but to say that to even think it is somehow out of hand or uncalled for - unethical even! - is sentimental codswallop.

I've thought the whole season when people have been on Holloway's back "I'm not sure you'll like the people you'll get in his stead". Lo and behold....
McClaren incoming on 13:56 - May 2 with 3946 viewssimmo

McClaren incoming on 12:05 - May 2 by Antti_Heinola

I don't think so. He seems a humble guy liked by players and is obviously a very good coach, I suspect particularly with younger players.

But I'm with the majority here. After the Forest game, I absolutely thought come the end of the season a change was needed. But since then he's totally turned things round and there are things genuinely to be excited about next season. He's earned the right to coach us next year, and if it goes tits up, then look at replacing him, or, if we meander through the season and finish 15th-18th again, his contract is up and it's time for someone else to have a go.

McClaren I don't think would do a bad job - he's competent and his teams play good football. I'm not anti him at all. He had weird spells at Derby, but Newcastle was a tough one - it's taken a brilliant manager to go in there and turn things around. Who knows. Worrying that Clive thinks there may be legs to this. As others have said, if the stress is too much for Ollie, then I'd rather he left and kept himself healthy and then McClaren would be a sensible replacement. But sacking Ollie for McClaren... doesn't seem fair, or worth it.

Sometimes teams do sack managers doing relatively well - for all the fun poked at Rodgers, Liverpool were doing better than they had done in years under him, but he went because they knew they could get Klopp. Now if there genuinely was a cast-iron great young manager available, then the Board would be right to at least look at it. But that's not McClaren.

This sums up my feelings. Saved me the need for a detailed post, cheers Antti

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

McClaren incoming on 14:11 - May 2 with 3857 viewsMytch_QPR

but do we know if it's because Ollie is leaving of his own accord?

It would be nice to have a bit of stability for a change instead of the revolving door policy.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

McClaren incoming on 14:12 - May 2 with 3856 viewsTheChef

McClaren incoming on 12:34 - May 2 by RBlock

Have a look on his twitter account. He is up there discussing it with people - apparently Les, TF, LH in agreement that McClaren would be a decent choice, and it's 50-50 whether IH stays or not.

I had a look. Latest story is our interest in a Brighton defender. Nothing at all n the last couple of days about McLaren or Holloway going.

https://twitter.com/davidmcintyre76?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwg

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

McClaren incoming on 14:13 - May 2 with 3847 viewsTheChef

McClaren incoming on 14:12 - May 2 by TheChef

I had a look. Latest story is our interest in a Brighton defender. Nothing at all n the last couple of days about McLaren or Holloway going.

https://twitter.com/davidmcintyre76?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwg

Nor on WLS - https://twitter.com/westlondonsport

McClaren incoming on 14:14 - May 2 with 3843 viewsMytch_QPR

Top comment relates to TF rendering Holloway story as pointless - so maybe all hot air, although Clive's last post thinks otherwise?

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Login to get fewer ads

McClaren incoming on 14:18 - May 2 with 3800 viewsHayesender

McClaren incoming on 13:54 - May 2 by Northernr

There's truth in it. Whether it ends up being McClaren or not don't know (they like him) but they're actively looking for replacements.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Graeme Murty being mentioned a couple of time on Facebook. There would be a fecking meltdown if that happened

Poll: Shamima Beghum

McClaren incoming on 14:19 - May 2 with 3797 viewsNorthernr

Use 'Tweets and Replies'
McClaren incoming on 14:19 - May 2 with 3793 viewsNorthernr

McClaren incoming on 14:18 - May 2 by Hayesender

Graeme Murty being mentioned a couple of time on Facebook. There would be a fecking meltdown if that happened

And rightly so.
McClaren incoming on 14:22 - May 2 with 3762 viewsdaveB

McClaren incoming on 14:18 - May 2 by Hayesender

best to ignore facebook, someone yesterday was suggesting we sign Nile Ranger
McClaren incoming on 14:23 - May 2 with 3756 viewsNorthernr

McClaren incoming on 14:22 - May 2 by daveB

best to ignore facebook, someone yesterday was suggesting we sign Nile Ranger

I only look on there for the Petey updates.
McClaren incoming on 14:28 - May 2 with 3717 viewsToast_R

Holloway's been head hunted by Arsenal...
McClaren incoming on 14:31 - May 2 with 3710 viewsloftus77

Can’t believe all this TBH. Really hope it is all a load of BS .
(No subject) (n/t) on 14:33 - May 2 with 3696 viewsQPR_Jim

McClaren incoming on 09:37 - May 2 by loftboy

Just to crank the rumour up a bit, Lee Hoos was quoted the othe day saying that “ we budgeted for finishing 10th” I did wonder whether this was going through be used as an excuse for getting rid of Olly

McClaren incoming on 14:36 - May 2 with 3668 viewsTheChef

McClaren incoming on 14:19 - May 2 by Northernr

Use 'Tweets and Replies'

Ah.

Won't let me though as I don't do Tw@tter.

McClaren incoming on 14:55 - May 2 with 3574 viewsenfieldargh

If we need a replacement for Fleming then get Gerry in

I can only see olly going if he’s unwell

We will loose
Ned
Rob
Jet
Perch
Mackie and sadly
Smithies
Luongo

Can’t see Maclaren coming in plus he’ll be off as soon as a bigger club start struggling

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

McClaren incoming on 15:37 - May 2 with 3396 viewsbaz_qpr

McClaren incoming on 10:42 - May 2 by Northernr

Ok, what did we want this season? His job was to hack into the wage bil,, get rid of more big earners, blood youngsters, and not get relegated doing it. Done that, and more, never been in relegation trouble, actually in the end looked pretty good with lots of the kids coming into the team and playing well.

Next season we need to go on a bit further, fine, set him that target, and if he doesn't do it then his contract is up and off he goes. To fulfil the remit and get the shove anyway (if that's what's going to happen) seems harsh. Maybe he has decided to take a step back, but from what I gather it's the board that aren't sure.

I'm very, very iffy on McClaren if it's going to be him.

The only positive I will say is we've broken the cycle of changing managers midseason all the time, and now is exactly the right time to be assessing whether we have the right manager for the following year - at least they're doing that right.

You were advocating a couple of months ago getting to the end of the season and assessing and moving forward from there. Is that not what is happening now? He can't just go ahead with 1 year left on the contract, it will cause instability, so it is stick or twist time.

You can make a case either way. We are only 3 points better off than last season the football and young ones have only improved since Ramsey came on the coaching staff. We dont play the same forward line 2 games in a row we dont really have a defined style of play after 18 months.

Personally I'm agnostic, I think personal circumstances have to be set aside, football managers are paid enough money to compensate for that and the club has to be put first and foremost. Both stick and change are a roll of the dice and will split the fans but there does seem to be a lack of belief not just at board that stick will be more of the same.
McClaren incoming on 15:39 - May 2 with 3370 viewssimmo

Losing the senior pros we are AND potentially the managers and coaches in one summer is a lot of upheaval for a young squad. I hope this is a consideration because not de-railing the potential of our young players is going to be crucial to our future.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

McClaren incoming on 15:39 - May 2 with 3358 viewsNorthernr

McClaren incoming on 15:37 - May 2 by baz_qpr

You were advocating a couple of months ago getting to the end of the season and assessing and moving forward from there. Is that not what is happening now? He can't just go ahead with 1 year left on the contract, it will cause instability, so it is stick or twist time.

You can make a case either way. We are only 3 points better off than last season the football and young ones have only improved since Ramsey came on the coaching staff. We dont play the same forward line 2 games in a row we dont really have a defined style of play after 18 months.

Personally I'm agnostic, I think personal circumstances have to be set aside, football managers are paid enough money to compensate for that and the club has to be put first and foremost. Both stick and change are a roll of the dice and will split the fans but there does seem to be a lack of belief not just at board that stick will be more of the same.

Yes I was and that's exactly, word for word, what I said at the end of that post. Now is exactly the right time to be doing the assessment and making the decision. I'm not sure they're about to reach the right decision, but that's just my opinion. There's no dispute it's the right time to be doing this.
McClaren incoming on 16:14 - May 2 with 3194 viewsDejR_vu

I suspect the board are thinking, rightly or wrongly, that next season is the best chance of promotion that we're going to get for a very long time. Wages under control, last year of parachute payments etc. I suspect the following year we will need to slash further without the parachute payments. So they're probably thinking can IH, as good a job as he's done firefighting, take us to the next level, or is there someone else who they think would be better to move us forward?

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

McClaren incoming on 17:10 - May 2 with 3035 viewsngbqpr

I understand why in this post-Bosman world (google it kids) when a player edges towards the last year of his contract, a club is keen to tie him to a new deal, even if it's just to ensure he keeps some value.

I don't think it's the same with managers, unless you're one of the handful of clubs whose boss is hot property.

My gut feeling is stability / Olly has met his remit / stay as we are for now...but I don't think he necessarily needs a new contract for that. Is it old fashioned / unrealistic to say to him, you've got a year left, let's just go on as we are for now?

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

McClaren incoming on 17:19 - May 2 with 2996 viewsrsonist

McClaren incoming on 16:14 - May 2 by DejR_vu

I suspect the board are thinking, rightly or wrongly, that next season is the best chance of promotion that we're going to get for a very long time. Wages under control, last year of parachute payments etc. I suspect the following year we will need to slash further without the parachute payments. So they're probably thinking can IH, as good a job as he's done firefighting, take us to the next level, or is there someone else who they think would be better to move us forward?

Doubt promotion is high in their thoughts as such.

For the reasons you list, the focus will be on developing youth and educating and nurturing raw talent in a clear integrated system where the first team reflects the work being done throughout the club.

It may be that the success of the youth these last few games has ironically convinced the board to head much further in that direction - and away from Holloway, if they feel he is too scatty and idiosyncratic to build around. Why else would you make the change otherwise? It's the quality of training ground coaching and nothing else.
[Post edited 2 May 2018 17:20]
McClaren incoming on 17:25 - May 2 with 2967 viewsdaveB

McClaren incoming on 16:14 - May 2 by DejR_vu

Not sure promotion is on the cards next year. West Brom and Stoke should be strong, possibly Southampton as well plus some decent sides going to miss out through playoffs.

Not impossible to get in the playoffs next year but wouldn't say it's our best chance. Squad looks a long way short of that imo
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024