Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tactical Football Evening 22:46 - Oct 12 with 7809 viewsPatfromPoole

Add your own punchline.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Tactical Football Evening on 22:47 - Oct 12 with 5029 viewsPatfromPoole

Did any Uglies go??!!??

Tactical Football Evening on 23:14 - Oct 12 with 4985 viewsMattFinish

Pat, I thought this was a wind up

What was the tactic?
Tactical Football Evening on 23:53 - Oct 12 with 4964 viewsPatfromPoole

Ah, itā€™s not until next week.

Gives Rusty a few days to think of a tactic.

Tactical Football Evening on 07:44 - Oct 13 with 4876 viewsTripleNiemi

Tactical Football Evening on 23:14 - Oct 12 by MattFinish

Pat, I thought this was a wind up

What was the tactic?

Bit of a sideways move by the club if you ask me. Back to the drawing boardā€¦.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Tactical Football Evening on 07:51 - Oct 13 with 4871 viewsSalisburySaint

Tactical Football Evening on 23:53 - Oct 12 by PatfromPoole

Most teams in Premier League use exactly the same tactics, particularly Arsenal and Man City,they just do it well with better players

When it works itā€™s great, but giving the ball at the back as we did in early games is fatal.

We are making plenty of chances playing this style, despite loads of you saying itā€™s all sideways, we are just not clinical enough, should have easily been 3 or 4 up at halftime last week, and big miss by Smallbone second half before they equalised

Nb Arsenal v Man City was a bore fest last week
Tactical Football Evening on 08:40 - Oct 13 with 4830 viewsRon11

Tactical Football Evening on 07:51 - Oct 13 by SalisburySaint

Most teams in Premier League use exactly the same tactics, particularly Arsenal and Man City,they just do it well with better players

When it works itā€™s great, but giving the ball at the back as we did in early games is fatal.

We are making plenty of chances playing this style, despite loads of you saying itā€™s all sideways, we are just not clinical enough, should have easily been 3 or 4 up at halftime last week, and big miss by Smallbone second half before they equalised

Should easily have been 3 or 4 up at half time but they weren't.
So instead of continuing to attack, he changes it back to sideways back and the inevitable happened.
He needs to explain that...
Tactical Football Evening on 09:00 - Oct 13 with 4807 viewsPatfromPoole

I think you can find examples of his ā€œtactical masterclassā€ on You Tube.

Nowhere will you find mention of baffling substitutions and persisting with sub-standard players.

Sweepstake for how many times Wilcox says ā€œalignedā€ā€¦..

Tactical Football Evening on 09:57 - Oct 13 with 4776 viewsIfonly

Tactical Football Evening on 07:51 - Oct 13 by SalisburySaint

Most teams in the Prem don't use the same tactic. You're right that City and Arsenal do (sometimes not always) but most don't.

We didn't make anything like enough real chances in the 2nd half because we reverted back to a slow build up. Our only real chance was what you call a "big miss" by Smallbone. I wouldn't call it a big miss. He hit it first time as it came across him and got a powerful strike on target. That's about all you can ask. The keeper made a good/lucky save. You've got to expect the keeper to make a few saves, so if you only have one real chance, you're not likely to score.

The best tactic ever in football is to play to the strengths of the players you have available. We have fast midgets so we should be getting the ball forward quickly, attacking the space. What we shouldn't be doing is waiting until the defenders have packed their box and then throwing a hopeful cross in, hoping our 5'6" man will out jump a 6'6" defender.
Login to get fewer ads

Tactical Football Evening on 10:15 - Oct 13 with 4763 viewsSaintNick

Tactical Football Evening on 09:57 - Oct 13 by Ifonly

Most teams in the Prem don't use the same tactic. You're right that City and Arsenal do (sometimes not always) but most don't.

We didn't make anything like enough real chances in the 2nd half because we reverted back to a slow build up. Our only real chance was what you call a "big miss" by Smallbone. I wouldn't call it a big miss. He hit it first time as it came across him and got a powerful strike on target. That's about all you can ask. The keeper made a good/lucky save. You've got to expect the keeper to make a few saves, so if you only have one real chance, you're not likely to score.

The best tactic ever in football is to play to the strengths of the players you have available. We have fast midgets so we should be getting the ball forward quickly, attacking the space. What we shouldn't be doing is waiting until the defenders have packed their box and then throwing a hopeful cross in, hoping our 5'6" man will out jump a 6'6" defender.

All I am going to say on this thread, is that here is a man who played nearly 600 games at various levels including around 125 in the Premier League, was capped 29 times for Scotland and has managed over 200 games, yet he is not as tactically aware as a sizeable chunk of the Southampton online footballing community.

I think this is about him learning where he is going wrong from some of the best tactical brains that football has to offer rather than the other way round

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Tactical Football Evening on 10:22 - Oct 13 with 4758 viewsPatfromPoole

Tactical Football Evening on 10:15 - Oct 13 by SaintNick

All I am going to say on this thread, is that here is a man who played nearly 600 games at various levels including around 125 in the Premier League, was capped 29 times for Scotland and has managed over 200 games, yet he is not as tactically aware as a sizeable chunk of the Southampton online footballing community.

I think this is about him learning where he is going wrong from some of the best tactical brains that football has to offer rather than the other way round

Beautifully put.

We should be charging him.

Tactical Football Evening on 10:52 - Oct 13 with 4730 viewsIfonly

So Nick, you're saying that you've got nothing to add other than snarky comments and blind faith in anyone who has played at the top level because ... well they must know mustn't they??

I could draw up a list of hundreds of ex players who failed as managers because they don't know. Often they don't know because they only know the game from the perspective of the position they played (Shearer being a good example). In RM's case he doesn't know (but appears to be learning a bit) because at least at the start, he wasn't making any allowance for the players in his team. His tactics would be fine for Man City but Saints are not Man City. If ex players are always right and if these tactics are so obviously the right ones, then why don't all ex-players choose these tactics?
Tactical Football Evening on 11:27 - Oct 13 with 4706 viewsSouthamptonfan

Tactical Football Evening on 09:57 - Oct 13 by Ifonly

You're spot on. If we play Man City in the cup, would we really try and dominate the ball against them (because that's the way we play and the only way we play?). We would need to go there, be really compact, keep it tight and catch them on the break. But no, we just keep doing the same thing. What is the point of 80% possession if you don't win?

Other teams work us out. It's so obvious. They know we will pass it out from the back, they know we will make a mistake because our defenders are not Man City defenders, so the opposition all push up high, we make a mistake and they score, so predictable. We then pass left and right in front of their packed defence and they get result.

We dominated the game against Rotherham, but they looked comfortable. In the final 5 minutes, they just packed the defence, marked up our small strikers and knew that we would put in terrible crosses that ended up in the stands. As you say, 6 ft 5 bully defenders mark up our short, weak strikers and there is nobody to cross to. They get the result. It's so clear to most fans what is happening.

You're right, you should play to the players strengths. Announcing that we play in one particular way only, surely makes it easy for the opposition. No surprises, just one way of playing. We should be mixing it up, playing different tactics for different games, surprising the opposition. I really do not understand this stupid insistence of having lots of possession but we don't win.
To me it's just a mess and not very clever. One way of playing, no surprises, opposition work us out, 6ft 5 players bully our little strikers out of the game. We don't get the ball forward quickly to them, we just slowly pass left and right until our strikers are marked up. It's a mess.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2023 11:32]

Poll: Who are you voting for?

Tactical Football Evening on 11:37 - Oct 13 with 4699 viewssaint901

Presumably questions will be directed to the person three yards away to the left or the right or behind and only if there is a certain goal, i.e. an empty stage, will a question be sent in that direction?
Tactical Football Evening on 12:50 - Oct 13 with 4661 viewsMattFinish

Tactical Football Evening on 23:53 - Oct 12 by PatfromPoole

Does it involve passing the ball 6ft sideways and back, then giving it away and conceding a goal. I don't think I need an evening to have that described to me.

RM has had three clubs and 4 seasons trying to replicate what Pep does and it's never come close to working. Without having the quality of of players that Man City or Barcelona have it will never work. It's like Lewis Hamilton rocking up at Silverston for the British Grand Prix driving a VW Polo and wondering why he doesn't win.

I think if RM just tried to play to the teams strengths and dicthed the Barcahampton experiment we'd do okay. I think he could be a good manager if he ditched his ego.
Tactical Football Evening on 12:56 - Oct 13 with 4651 viewsMattFinish

Yes Nick but he played all those games at CB heading the ball a lot which could explain things šŸ˜‰

Seriously though I donā€™t pretend I would be any good as a manager or be a tactical genius but just having my say
Tactical Football Evening on 13:42 - Oct 13 with 4600 viewsfranniesTache

I think i'd rather stick my hand in a blender than attend a club PR event full of people who have to avoid schools on the way to the ground.

It's literally going to be full of the worst of bedwetting "let him cook" virgins who somehow think there's a moral superiority in thinking they invented a style of football that Jim Magilton turned into an art form in the 90s.
Tactical Football Evening on 15:56 - Oct 13 with 4516 viewsBerber

I will say even less, Carlton Palmer.
Tactical Football Evening on 17:58 - Oct 13 with 4482 viewsRon11

Tactical Football Evening on 12:50 - Oct 13 by MattFinish

Does it involve passing the ball 6ft sideways and back, then giving it away and conceding a goal. I don't think I need an evening to have that described to me.

RM has had three clubs and 4 seasons trying to replicate what Pep does and it's never come close to working. Without having the quality of of players that Man City or Barcelona have it will never work. It's like Lewis Hamilton rocking up at Silverston for the British Grand Prix driving a VW Polo and wondering why he doesn't win.

I think if RM just tried to play to the teams strengths and dicthed the Barcahampton experiment we'd do okay. I think he could be a good manager if he ditched his ego.

Yes, it's the ego that's the problem.
He loves himself.
Tactical Football Evening on 23:55 - Oct 13 with 4392 viewsMattFinish

I donā€™t dislike Martin as a person and I think thereā€™s a decent manager in there, I just donā€™t think heā€™s ever going to succeed playing Pepball with Championship players or any players outside the top 4 of the PL
Tactical Football Evening on 13:12 - Oct 14 with 4246 viewsPatfromPoole

Confirmation, as if it were needed, that this event is absolutely to be avoided at all costsā€¦.

[Post edited 14 Oct 2023 13:13]

Tactical Football Evening on 13:45 - Oct 14 with 4216 viewsSouthamptonfan

Tactical Football Evening on 13:12 - Oct 14 by PatfromPoole

Confirmation, as if it were needed, that this event is absolutely to be avoided at all costsā€¦.

[Post edited 14 Oct 2023 13:13]

Correct. This certainly does look like an educate the fans evening on why total possession and passing left and right is so good. They really are completely brain washed arn't they and they are so naive that they think they can brain wash us all too, so that we all go around saying possession is the way, the very next morning.

They think the first thread on here the next morning will be "wow I understand it now, possession is the way forward". We just want to win games and be in the top two!! It's not rocket science, are they stupid or just brainwashed by a cult?

Poll: Who are you voting for?

Tactical Football Evening on 15:05 - Oct 14 with 4178 viewsPatfromPoole

Tactical Football Evening on 13:45 - Oct 14 by Southamptonfan

Correct. This certainly does look like an educate the fans evening on why total possession and passing left and right is so good. They really are completely brain washed arn't they and they are so naive that they think they can brain wash us all too, so that we all go around saying possession is the way, the very next morning.

They think the first thread on here the next morning will be "wow I understand it now, possession is the way forward". We just want to win games and be in the top two!! It's not rocket science, are they stupid or just brainwashed by a cult?

I think SaintRob has his own cultā€¦.

Tactical Football Evening on 17:40 - Oct 14 with 4101 viewsMattFinish

Tactical Football Evening on 15:05 - Oct 14 by PatfromPoole

I think SaintRob has his own cultā€¦.

Iā€™m not sure you spell it like that Pat
Tactical Football Evening on 00:44 - Oct 15 with 4039 viewsLondonSaint76

Thatā€™s making me think in film terms of Hot Fuzz - the greater good, the greater good
Perhaps it will morph into Rusty Fuzz - all the attendees will leave the event chanting possession is good, possession is goodā€¦

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Tactical Football Evening on 20:55 - Oct 15 with 3899 viewsMattFinish

No possession isnā€™t the way forward, itā€™s the way sideways
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024