Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tactical Football Evening 22:46 - Oct 12 with 7899 viewsPatfromPoole

Add your own punchline.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Tactical Football Evening on 09:22 - Oct 20 with 1304 viewssaints__fan__73

Tactical Football Evening on 23:05 - Oct 19 by SaintNick

As I said in the article that was the case in the first 6 games but not the last 5, how many games do we go before people start to give him a chance, last season he had a team at Swansea with far less quality so theoretically he should do better here.

Perhaps we will get stuffed on Saturday but why worry about that until it happens, I take it one game at a time and dont keep harping back to mistakes 8 games ago

'Theoretically' he should indeed doing better as he has far better players here with one of, if not the, biggest wage bills in the league.

But you would have to be a brave man to bet the house on him doing better than 3 points from the playoffs this season with us...

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Tactical Football Evening on 10:28 - Oct 20 with 1268 viewsSaintNick

Tactical Football Evening on 09:22 - Oct 20 by saints__fan__73

'Theoretically' he should indeed doing better as he has far better players here with one of, if not the, biggest wage bills in the league.

But you would have to be a brave man to bet the house on him doing better than 3 points from the playoffs this season with us...

Why would you have to be a brave man, we are only 1 point off them as it stands, he has a better squad than at Swansea, we have Ross Stewart coming in to the squad, we have the divisions top scorer, we have the resources to strengthen the squad in January, that does not suggest that we will not at least be in the play offs.

The bookies seem to think so, we are still 4th favourite to win the division, we are 3rd favourites for promotion behind Leicester & Leeds, so tell me why you would need to be a brave man !!!!

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Tactical Football Evening on 11:04 - Oct 20 with 1247 viewssaints__fan__73

Tactical Football Evening on 10:28 - Oct 20 by SaintNick

Why would you have to be a brave man, we are only 1 point off them as it stands, he has a better squad than at Swansea, we have Ross Stewart coming in to the squad, we have the divisions top scorer, we have the resources to strengthen the squad in January, that does not suggest that we will not at least be in the play offs.

The bookies seem to think so, we are still 4th favourite to win the division, we are 3rd favourites for promotion behind Leicester & Leeds, so tell me why you would need to be a brave man !!!!

While our defense has improved, we have still conceded more goals than the team in last place and our striking options aren't that great.

I wouldn't bet a lot of money at all on us getting into the top 6.

If you are confident I assume you are putting your money where your mouth is?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Tactical Football Evening on 11:48 - Oct 20 with 1222 viewsButty101

Tactical Football Evening on 23:05 - Oct 19 by SaintNick

As I said in the article that was the case in the first 6 games but not the last 5, how many games do we go before people start to give him a chance, last season he had a team at Swansea with far less quality so theoretically he should do better here.

Perhaps we will get stuffed on Saturday but why worry about that until it happens, I take it one game at a time and dont keep harping back to mistakes 8 games ago

The defence hasnt improved in the last 5 games. Leeds, Ipswitch and Boro all missed gulit edged chances to add to thier tallies. A clean sheet against an U21 stoke side and a goal conceded against a Rotherham side, who get a nose bleed when they cross the halfway line, Is hardly proof of an improvement.

I prefer to look at the bigger picture and Martins 3 full seasons as a manager. 62, 64 and 68 goals conceded. This tells me he cant organise a defense.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Tactical Football Evening on 12:50 - Oct 20 with 1196 viewsSouthamptonfan

Tactical Football Evening on 11:48 - Oct 20 by Butty101

The defence hasnt improved in the last 5 games. Leeds, Ipswitch and Boro all missed gulit edged chances to add to thier tallies. A clean sheet against an U21 stoke side and a goal conceded against a Rotherham side, who get a nose bleed when they cross the halfway line, Is hardly proof of an improvement.

I prefer to look at the bigger picture and Martins 3 full seasons as a manager. 62, 64 and 68 goals conceded. This tells me he cant organise a defense.

And with the players we have, we would have destroyed Rotherham and won by a clear margin, had we bombarded them with balls into the box and panicked them with aggressive attacking football. They are a terrible team and were there for the taking. Instead at one nil and then one all, we just kept passing the ball left and right, one million passes before an eventual 30 yard shot blazed into row Z. It was far too casual, far too slow, no aggression, so predictable. I always give the 3 1 win against Man U at the Dell as an example of how we should play. Just attack with speed, aggression, intensity. Get the ball quickly up field, run like crazy tackle aggressively, catch them unawares. This possession football is too patient, too slow, too predictable and totally ineffective. It drives me nuts, when the goal keeper places the ball on his own six yard box, taking ages to find a defender that isn't marked and then we slowly pass it around to each other in our own half until we lose it or it goes out of play. It's absolute rubbish.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 12:54]

Poll: Who are you voting for?

Tactical Football Evening on 15:04 - Oct 20 with 1134 viewsRon11

Tactical Football Evening on 12:50 - Oct 20 by Southamptonfan

And with the players we have, we would have destroyed Rotherham and won by a clear margin, had we bombarded them with balls into the box and panicked them with aggressive attacking football. They are a terrible team and were there for the taking. Instead at one nil and then one all, we just kept passing the ball left and right, one million passes before an eventual 30 yard shot blazed into row Z. It was far too casual, far too slow, no aggression, so predictable. I always give the 3 1 win against Man U at the Dell as an example of how we should play. Just attack with speed, aggression, intensity. Get the ball quickly up field, run like crazy tackle aggressively, catch them unawares. This possession football is too patient, too slow, too predictable and totally ineffective. It drives me nuts, when the goal keeper places the ball on his own six yard box, taking ages to find a defender that isn't marked and then we slowly pass it around to each other in our own half until we lose it or it goes out of play. It's absolute rubbish.

Absolutely
Tactical Football Evening on 16:27 - Oct 20 with 1095 viewsPatfromPoole

Tactical Football Evening on 12:50 - Oct 20 by Southamptonfan

That 3-1 v United was possibly the best performance I have ever seen from a Saints team.

Absolutely superb.

Ferguson was a disgrace for trying to make out the shirts were a factor; they were just absolutely battered by us.

Totally agree with you.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Tactical Football Evening on 16:54 - Oct 20 with 1087 viewsBerber

Tactical Football Evening on 10:28 - Oct 20 by SaintNick

We have the injury prone Ross Stewart, yet to make the squad more like. I hope he stays fit and does well for us, but so far, we are relying on yet another hope and a prayer
Login to get fewer ads

Tactical Football Evening on 18:28 - Oct 20 with 1041 viewsgrumpy

Only Saints could be crying out for a Centre Forward and go and buy an injured one.
Tactical Football Evening on 19:09 - Oct 20 with 1020 viewsSouthamptonfan

Tactical Football Evening on 16:27 - Oct 20 by PatfromPoole

That 3-1 v United was possibly the best performance I have ever seen from a Saints team.

Absolutely superb.

Ferguson was a disgrace for trying to make out the shirts were a factor; they were just absolutely battered by us.

Totally agree with you.

Fantastic day that. We just stormed all over them and had them completely rattled. Full on, attacking football but not just that, we tackled like men possessed.

In our brave new world, slowly passing the ball around our own box, taking five minutes to finally create an opportunity that we then miss, once the opposition are all back and organised, I really don't get it. They talk about being patient and give it time, but I'd still rather we just storm forward and be direct.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 19:11]

Tactical Football Evening on 23:01 - Oct 20 with 969 viewssaint22

Tactical Football Evening on 18:28 - Oct 20 by grumpy

Only Saints could be crying out for a Centre Forward and go and buy an injured one.

exactly this
another season without what we need where we need it stumbling along blindly making error after error
rather tiresome now
Tactical Football Evening on 21:34 - Oct 25 with 769 viewsSouthamptonfan

Tactical Football Evening on 10:20 - Oct 19 by IanSouthstander

"Interesting" doesn't do this event justice. It was a fantastic evening and very enlightening.
The detail Jason and Russell went into i've not seen the like of before. Clips of games explaining tactics and why passes were made and what passes should of been made . Wow.
Even the swedish guy who teaches set pieces explained our positional set up and why we don't keep a couple of attackers upfield when defending corners.
I'd say there were twice as many fans attending last nights event as against the fans forum at the start of the season.
Jason and Russell got a tremendous ovation ,which was fully deserved. Afterwards, i spoke to many fans and every one of them thought this was an outstanding presentation.
I'm on board, and can't wait for the club to put on another event like this.
I'm sorry that you didn't get the chance to pose your question, but they did give supporters every opportunity.

They forgot some detail tonight. 70% possession but it doesn't result in wins (or not often enough)! Arrange another evening to brain wash people like you?

Tactical Football Evening on 12:59 - Oct 26 with 699 viewsfranniesTache

Tactical Football Evening on 16:27 - Oct 20 by PatfromPoole

Absolutely superb.

Totally agree with you.

the 4-1 against Liverpool at the Dell would be my choice for the best Saints performance i've seen, but that 3-1 against United comes close
Tactical Football Evening on 21:10 - Oct 26 with 643 viewshedgeend61

Tactical Football Evening on 12:59 - Oct 26 by franniesTache

the 4-1 against Liverpool at the Dell would be my choice for the best Saints performance i've seen, but that 3-1 against United comes close

One of the best I've seen though not many on here will remember it, but some performance as we were Div 2 and they were 1st div champions that season.
Proper Derby team then , as weakened teams weren't put out in them days.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/southampton-v-derby-county-08-october-1974-29710/
Tactical Football Evening on 21:16 - Oct 26 with 628 viewsgrumpy

Tactical Football Evening on 21:10 - Oct 26 by hedgeend61

One of the best I've seen though not many on here will remember it, but some performance as we were Div 2 and they were 1st div champions that season.
Proper Derby team then , as weakened teams weren't put out in them days.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/southampton-v-derby-county-08-october-1974-29710/

I was there that game,under the west stand.There was an American visitor next to me who was amazed that such a small crowd could create such an atmosphere.
I dont think Brian Clough was manager then as he had moved to Brighton but he must have put some of that team together.The late Francis Lee played as well,great player.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2023 21:19]
Tactical Football Evening on 21:25 - Oct 26 with 617 viewsSouthamptonfan

Tactical Football Evening on 12:59 - Oct 26 by franniesTache

Yes great win that day and sensational performance

This below, was a great night too in the snow. Alan Ball's first game as manager at The Dell.

[Post edited 26 Oct 2023 21:35]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024