Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Few Thoughts 23:19 - Aug 5 with 25407 viewsdaveB

Hard to know where to start today, Ainsworth has had all summer to put a game plan together, some sort of plan to stop opposition playing and to create goals and chances for us, that today was an absolute disgrace.

Just stood off them with everyone behind the ball, plan was when they have it keep dropping deeper, never tried to win the ball back, no closing just hold the shape it will be alright, never worked from the 1st minute, Watford could and should have scored 7 in the first half and added at least 3 more in the second. It was men against boys, the number of times the centre half ran 20 yards forward with not a tackle and 2 passes after they were in behind us was laughable

Ainsworth hung several players out to dry today. Playing Kelman in a 4-4-2 against this Watford team was suicidal. Chair stuck out on the left wing looking lost and bringing on Willock with 2 minutes left was a piss take. he can give it back the boys as much as he likes, maybe he should start doing it rather than playing tactics these players can't play.

Players have to take some responsibility as well, Dozzell went missing again. Kakay was embarrassing, Fox looked like he hadn't played football before and Field was awful as well. Gubbins did OK on debut but thats being kind, Duke Mckenna at least put a foot in, Begovic man of the match for keeping the score down but his time wasting at 4-0 down was awful.

One thing I noticed at half time is something Clive talks about a lot, our warm up. I went to the Womens FA Cup final in May, at half time both teams had proper training drills, cones out doing short quick passes then shuttle runs and the shootings practice. Watford today had players running together in one group others doing a triangle passing drill. Our lot? Willock and Richards doing kick ups and having a chat. Archer booting the ball to the other side of the pitch for Dixon Bonner to boot back to him and the others having a chat, no coaches to be seen, we've got hundreds of them why are they not managing this? It was beyond pathetic and sums up the general malaise at the club

We were marginally better second half mainly as we had some sort of shape and pressed the ball every now and then but it was still a long way from being any good and Watford really eased off yet still could have scored 2/3 more goals.

I thought we'd struggle before today, certain of it now. No one is finishing below that rabble. Needed major changes at the end of last season, still need them now and hiding behind FFP now. Ainsworth should have gone in May, Hoos as well, just sleepwalking towards League one
[Post edited 5 Aug 2023 23:23]
Few Thoughts on 18:57 - Aug 7 with 2655 viewshook_hoops

Few Thoughts on 16:12 - Aug 6 by Northernr

I mean let's also not pretend that either Willock or Richards have turned in anything approaching an acceptable performance between them in the whole of 2023, never mind anything approaching game changing.

I agree, but let's not forget that Willock was recovering from a serious injury last season and Richards was not "engaged" for the reasons we've heard about. Now, I get the idea of playing for the badge, putting a shift in, working your nuts off for the team etc,etc, but my best seasons watching QPR have been when we've had a maverick in the side, eg Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles, Roy Wegerle, Adel Taraabt, Eze. I want to see players who will get me off my seat and excite me. If they're not tackling back and getting their foot in I really don't care as long as they're doing the business in the opposition's half. Willock and Richards can be those players in an otherwise uninspiring squad. For Christs sake, play them.
Few Thoughts on 19:06 - Aug 7 with 2592 viewsWatford_Ranger

Few Thoughts on 18:57 - Aug 7 by hook_hoops

I agree, but let's not forget that Willock was recovering from a serious injury last season and Richards was not "engaged" for the reasons we've heard about. Now, I get the idea of playing for the badge, putting a shift in, working your nuts off for the team etc,etc, but my best seasons watching QPR have been when we've had a maverick in the side, eg Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles, Roy Wegerle, Adel Taraabt, Eze. I want to see players who will get me off my seat and excite me. If they're not tackling back and getting their foot in I really don't care as long as they're doing the business in the opposition's half. Willock and Richards can be those players in an otherwise uninspiring squad. For Christs sake, play them.

If we’re going to give someone that sort of freedom I’d rather it was Chair. He deserves it IMO and I feel the criticism of him is unfair.

It’s going to be desperate whoever out of this lot plays but from the paltry options available I feel a 4-3-1-2 with Chair behind Dykes and Sinclair might at least get us beyond Rotherham’s 23 points a few years ago, the worst in the ‘Championship’ era. Colback, Field and another behind him (not Dozzell).
Few Thoughts on 21:09 - Aug 7 with 2411 viewsNorthantsHoop

Few Thoughts on 18:57 - Aug 7 by hook_hoops

Willock yes, not sure about Richards possibly been sold a dud there as has had 3 managers and yet to show any sort of interest other than as a sub against Huddersfield under Beale if I remember.
Few Thoughts on 22:18 - Aug 7 with 2250 viewsBurnleyhoop

Few Thoughts on 17:23 - Aug 7 by TheChef

I'm not entirely excusing Ainsworth, but when you say 'all summer', these days I'd say that was maybe around six weeks at best? Which is not ideal when still trying to deal with the dregs of last season while also trying to attract/getting in new signings on no budget at all; and then integrate those new signings with whoever is left over.

Not saying it can't be done, but in the club's current position, it's not easy.

I refer to sorting the specific issues with Willock, although Richard’s should be included. Rebuilding the squad will take significantly longer, but getting into the mindset of two of our best prospects for the season should have been a priority over the summer and it clearly hasn’t been resolved.
Few Thoughts on 06:07 - Aug 8 with 2085 viewsjohnhoop

Few Thoughts on 19:06 - Aug 7 by Watford_Ranger

If we’re going to give someone that sort of freedom I’d rather it was Chair. He deserves it IMO and I feel the criticism of him is unfair.

It’s going to be desperate whoever out of this lot plays but from the paltry options available I feel a 4-3-1-2 with Chair behind Dykes and Sinclair might at least get us beyond Rotherham’s 23 points a few years ago, the worst in the ‘Championship’ era. Colback, Field and another behind him (not Dozzell).

This 100%. I posted something similar on another thread but to enlarge on it I feel that Ainsworth’s problems, great as they are, are exacerbated by sticking to the 442 (or even 424 ) formation he used last Saturday. It meant operating with a paper thin midfield of Field and Dozzell, with Chair out of position isolated on the left and an unfit Smyth on the right, while to provide the central two you had an out of his depth Kelman partnering Dykes.
If he at least had a solid three of Field, Colback and SDM in front of the dodgy back four, with instructions to tackle the sh-t out of anything that got into our half, it would at least give us a chance of avoiding multiple heavy defeats this season.
They could then play the ball to Chair, Willock and Dykes, or Chair Dykes and Armstrong, if Ainsworth can’t get Willock to start functioning as a footballer again.
Few Thoughts on 07:24 - Aug 8 with 1958 viewstraininvain

Few Thoughts on 22:18 - Aug 7 by Burnleyhoop

I refer to sorting the specific issues with Willock, although Richard’s should be included. Rebuilding the squad will take significantly longer, but getting into the mindset of two of our best prospects for the season should have been a priority over the summer and it clearly hasn’t been resolved.

Agreed. A good manager needs to find a way to utilise the best players at his disposal. I think it was Annti who hit the nail on the head when he talked about players like Willock and Richards perhaps not buying into Ainsworth’s methods and his negative football.

Like it or not, technically gifted footballers aren’t going to like playing under a manager who’s happy to only have 20% possession in game. It probably doesn’t help that he’s constantly talking about relegation and survival as it’s exactly not going to motivate our more talented players.

If Ainsworth has anything about him as a manager then he’ll find a way to adapt and get the best out of this squad which does have some talented footballers. That probably means compromising on his preferred style of football and finding a system that gets the best out of Chair, Willock and possibly Richards.

My fear is that he’s too set in his ways and will see the lucky wins towards the end of last season as justification to continue conceding possession and trying to nick a goal which hasn’t worked most of his time as manager at the club.
Few Thoughts on 07:34 - Aug 8 with 1940 viewsHeadington

Richards and Willock are two different cases. Richards has shown only glimpses of his potential so far, but Willock for a while was our best player, highly rated, and when playing with Chair has been our most creative force. His injury set him back but Ainsworth played him in the pre-season friendlies - admittedly out of position and on the opposite side to Chair - and even commented on signs of returning to form and fitness. Willock did an interview on the eve of the Watford match and it seemed he was up for it. Then Ainsworth preferred to play Kelman instead. Clive suggests that was because of Willock's attitude but it seems to me that it may have more to do with the way Ainsworth prefers to set up and his reluctance to use the number 10s in their best position. With our limited resources surely we need our best players in their best positions, and to reunite Willock with Chair.
Few Thoughts on 08:01 - Aug 8 with 1869 viewsQPR_Jim

It's hard to excuse Willock when he's been shocking since Beale left regardless of who's manager. What about positions or tactics excuse him coming on at home to Coventry last year, passing the ball straight to one of their players and not tracking back at all while they scored? Funnily enough he came on when we were 1-0 down with most of the crowd calling for him and still didn't play like he cared about the club or his own standards.

He looks like he's checked out, so I wouldn't blame any manager for not playing him.
Login to get fewer ads

Few Thoughts on 08:18 - Aug 8 with 1817 viewsQPROslo

Few Thoughts on 07:34 - Aug 8 by Headington

Richards and Willock are two different cases. Richards has shown only glimpses of his potential so far, but Willock for a while was our best player, highly rated, and when playing with Chair has been our most creative force. His injury set him back but Ainsworth played him in the pre-season friendlies - admittedly out of position and on the opposite side to Chair - and even commented on signs of returning to form and fitness. Willock did an interview on the eve of the Watford match and it seemed he was up for it. Then Ainsworth preferred to play Kelman instead. Clive suggests that was because of Willock's attitude but it seems to me that it may have more to do with the way Ainsworth prefers to set up and his reluctance to use the number 10s in their best position. With our limited resources surely we need our best players in their best positions, and to reunite Willock with Chair.

Yes 100% this.
Few Thoughts on 08:21 - Aug 8 with 1792 viewsgazza1

Re Willick & Richards.......We don't know how he (& Richards) are behaving during training, nor do we know what he has said, if anything, to the Management team. Nor do we know what his general attitude is around the training ground - lots of don't knows. What we do know, as per Norf's comments, he has not been putting a shift in during matches, not been an influence during matches and that does not bode well generally and is not in GA's agenda.

Now, some may go back to Tarrabats time when he was here and how he was on the pitch - it was a different time, different players and different manager, different results - the players, etc must has 'bought into' Tarrabats way and some may say why not Willock & Richards. Willock & Richards have not impressed for many months, Richards, if at all, so we cannot go down the route of allowing them to dictate what they do on the pitch at training or whatever.

They should not be in the Team (or squad imho) whilst their attitudes are not in line with the rest of the Team/Managers/Coaches etc, etc.
Few Thoughts on 08:34 - Aug 8 with 1726 viewsTheChef

Few Thoughts on 08:01 - Aug 8 by QPR_Jim

It's hard to excuse Willock when he's been shocking since Beale left regardless of who's manager. What about positions or tactics excuse him coming on at home to Coventry last year, passing the ball straight to one of their players and not tracking back at all while they scored? Funnily enough he came on when we were 1-0 down with most of the crowd calling for him and still didn't play like he cared about the club or his own standards.

He looks like he's checked out, so I wouldn't blame any manager for not playing him.

Sadly I think this is the case - he probably would have moved on ages ago had he not got injured. Since then he just hasn't been the same, whether a confidence thing or not wanting to get injured again to jeopardise a future move, so he's in a bit of a Catch 22 situation. Not great for him or us.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Few Thoughts on 08:40 - Aug 8 with 1709 viewsdaveB

you say he's been shocking, he's only played 6 times this year. How do you get any rhythm in your game especially for a flair player when you hardly ever play

Always two sides to every story, as a club we haven't given Willock or Richards much first team football in 2023 so the chances of them buying into it all is pretty remote if they know know matter what they do in training they won't be playing
Few Thoughts on 08:49 - Aug 8 with 1683 viewsconnell10

Yep he is a part of the problem , he dont seem to give a toss!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Few Thoughts on 08:52 - Aug 8 with 1671 viewspaulparker

Few Thoughts on 08:40 - Aug 8 by daveB

you say he's been shocking, he's only played 6 times this year. How do you get any rhythm in your game especially for a flair player when you hardly ever play

Always two sides to every story, as a club we haven't given Willock or Richards much first team football in 2023 so the chances of them buying into it all is pretty remote if they know know matter what they do in training they won't be playing

Should Spurs , Everton keeping playing Dele Ali then ?
His attitude was apparently shocking on the training pitch and his performances over the last 2 years have been poor ( obviously it’s come out he has his demons) but if the players are not mentally prepared then you have lost half the battle

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Few Thoughts on 09:05 - Aug 8 with 1639 viewsPhilmyRs

Few Thoughts on 08:52 - Aug 8 by paulparker

His attitude was apparently shocking on the training pitch and his performances over the last 2 years have been poor ( obviously it’s come out he has his demons) but if the players are not mentally prepared then you have lost half the battle

Think from some of your posts you're a big Warnock fan? Warnock has shared his stories of managing Adel where he's said everyone warned him about him when he arrived, that he should be discarded because of his can't give a fck attitude. What did he do? First thing was to tell him he'd be playing at the weekend and would play the week after that, then the week after that... the rest is history as they say.
Few Thoughts on 10:49 - Aug 8 with 1465 viewspaulparker

Few Thoughts on 09:05 - Aug 8 by PhilmyRs

Think from some of your posts you're a big Warnock fan? Warnock has shared his stories of managing Adel where he's said everyone warned him about him when he arrived, that he should be discarded because of his can't give a fck attitude. What did he do? First thing was to tell him he'd be playing at the weekend and would play the week after that, then the week after that... the rest is history as they say.

Difference is Adel produced on the pitch
Willock & Richards haven’t done anything of note on the pitch for about a year
Richards hasn’t done anything full stop
Their attitude is poor and they don’t deserve to be near the staring line up

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Few Thoughts on 10:57 - Aug 8 with 1401 viewsdaveB

Few Thoughts on 10:49 - Aug 8 by paulparker

He wasn't performing before he got that run in the side under Warnock, i think thats the point it took a manager to give him some love fore him to produce knowing that he won't be dropped and has freedom to play

A lot of assumptions that it's an attitude problem with them both, may well be right I don't know either of them but neither have played much football all year, Willock has gone from our best player to starting 6 games in 8 months, is that down to him or due to having 2 managers who want to play 4-4-2 and he doesn't fit into that system
Few Thoughts on 10:58 - Aug 8 with 1396 viewsdaveB

Few Thoughts on 08:52 - Aug 8 by paulparker

There is no indication that Willock is shocking in training though, the manager was raving about him 2 weeks ago
Few Thoughts on 11:13 - Aug 8 with 1329 viewsdmm

Few Thoughts on 10:58 - Aug 8 by daveB

There is no indication that Willock is shocking in training though, the manager was raving about him 2 weeks ago

He was but, as Clive recently said, it's becoming increasingly difficult to take Ainsworth at face value.
Few Thoughts on 11:20 - Aug 8 with 1295 viewsPhilmyRs

Few Thoughts on 10:49 - Aug 8 by paulparker

Think DaveB has answered but Adel wasn't setting the place on fire with performances pre-Warnock, in fact quite a few were v poor and a lot of coaches told Warnock when he arrived to get him out the club because of his poor, can't give a fck attitude and weak showings on the pitch. Warnock took a different approach and put him in the team, later gave him the captaincy and got the best out of him.

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to drop them for their poor body language/performance at Oxford so not going to tee off on GA because of that as understand where he's coming from but wanted to highlight there is another approach to luxury players that can change a game, and Neil Warnock and his management of Adel is a great example of that.

I think everyone would agree a Rangers Team with Willock at his best, would be miles better than the rubbish we're currently being served.
Few Thoughts on 11:25 - Aug 8 with 1269 viewsEastR

Few Thoughts on 10:58 - Aug 8 by daveB

We can't trust anything that GW is spouting whether that's to do with injuries, players giving their all, can't ask for me etc. He's slipped very easily into bs mode and gaslighting the support base
Don't judge him by what he says, but what he does

Willock and Richards weren't benched as a reward for their hard work, can do attitude and willingness to fight for the cause

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Few Thoughts on 11:25 - Aug 8 with 1269 viewsNorthernr

Few Thoughts on 11:13 - Aug 8 by dmm

He was but, as Clive recently said, it's becoming increasingly difficult to take Ainsworth at face value.

Yup.

I got into it with somebody on here last season about Laird, who was blatantly tossing it off. Gareth comes out after Wigan and says no, he's a beautiful little boy who gives me everything he's got. Fortnight later we're at Burnley and he's dropped him to pick Ethan Laird against Anass Zaroury. It's basically not worth listening to what he's saying atm, because he's just trying to cover up a whole multitude of problems and sins, protecting the players looking for a positive response and buy in.
Few Thoughts on 11:45 - Aug 8 with 1191 viewssparkey

Few Thoughts on 11:25 - Aug 8 by Northernr

Yup.

I got into it with somebody on here last season about Laird, who was blatantly tossing it off. Gareth comes out after Wigan and says no, he's a beautiful little boy who gives me everything he's got. Fortnight later we're at Burnley and he's dropped him to pick Ethan Laird against Anass Zaroury. It's basically not worth listening to what he's saying atm, because he's just trying to cover up a whole multitude of problems and sins, protecting the players looking for a positive response and buy in.

Protecting the players who need calling out, and alienating the fanebase who deserve the truth.

Not the smartest way to go about things from our Gaz
Few Thoughts on 11:47 - Aug 8 with 1170 viewsWatford_Ranger

Few Thoughts on 11:45 - Aug 8 by sparkey

Protecting the players who need calling out, and alienating the fanebase who deserve the truth.

Not the smartest way to go about things from our Gaz

I’d rather he was honest but then look what happened to Critchley. I’d like to think he’s scathing in private but who knows?
Few Thoughts on 11:58 - Aug 8 with 1111 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Few Thoughts on 11:25 - Aug 8 by Northernr

Yup.

Agreed. Neither can we trust anything Warnock said about what other coaches supposedly told him. Warnock was always well able to self mythologise.

What we do know is that he got performances out of Taarabt. Whether Ainsworth can get performances out of of Willock and Richards, only time will tell.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024