Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
January Transfer Window 14:10 - Dec 28 with 63136 viewsHullDale

Gillingham have started their business early...

January Transfer Window on 19:10 - Jan 25 with 4447 viewsThacks_Rabbits

January Transfer Window on 18:14 - Jan 25 by 49thseason

Broadbent would look decent in this team..

Trying to put a positive slant on this which is difficult but…..

We have got rid of a lot of our loan players that were not up to it, if we really are as skint as it appears and cannot afford to bring players in, it could be that Ethan goes there on loan with a permanent fee agreed at the end of the season, in return we fill our available loans with genuine decent players who can come straight into the first team squad off them as part of the deal.

I believe that embargo does not effect loan players and also they can agree to cover full wages of players and also pay a fee to us for each appearance said loan players make for us. It’s cloak and dagger but they can effectively pay £50k per appearance of said players up to a max of say £400k to cover up front fees. This could be why the deal is taking a while but who knows.

Trying to be optimistic but I doubt this is the case as would involve a lot of forward thinking which we seem reticent to do!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

January Transfer Window on 19:53 - Jan 25 with 4240 viewsjonahwhereru

January Transfer Window on 16:41 - Jan 25 by TomRAFC

When I lived in the north east for a bit, I got into the habit of going to watch South Shields. Some of the young players there had clauses in their contracts that allowed them to go on trial with clubs higher up the pyramid, if the chance arose. Apparently the club would try and negate this by insisting a transfer fee was pre-agreed, so they would be safe in the knowledge that if the player left then there would at least be a decent pay day for the club.

I'm not saying this is what happened with Ethan, but it's about the only way I can fathom us letting this happen. Ethan did go on trial with Manchester City a while back but he wasn't a key first team player then. Not sure if I'm getting my dates mixed up, but does this mean he was away at a time when Kelly was injured, leaving us with no creative midfielder?

As you said, manna for the mischief makers.

I'd quite like to see George Delves sit at the top table at the Fans Forum in February. Historically, Colin Garlic was a good source of info on the running of the club. The running of the club is coming under scrutiny at the moment, it would be good to hear from someone who seems a bit out of the spotlight.

I hope this loan period is not a contractual obligation that Brierley and his agent forced on the club. I accept that the lad probably has stars in his eyes, and we could be out of the league by the next window. However his talk of the love for the club when he stood on the Sandy and supported the side will ring a bit hollow with me, if his team are agitating for a move in our hour of greatest need.

Our search for new additions that will make a positive difference ain’t getting any easier.

I am disillusioned with the whole situation right now. Must get myself up again for Carlisle!
[Post edited 25 Jan 2023 20:47]
January Transfer Window on 19:54 - Jan 25 with 4234 viewsNorthernDale

Why is it, we hear nothing from the club, but teams like Hartlepool give regular updates, including that Curle is talking to a striker, about joining them. Colchester are looking to sign Tom Hopper from Lincoln. Two teams looking to strength their teams in the relegation fight, whilst we hear nothing from the Dale, the silence and lack movement says a lot about the club at the moment. Any update, is better then none at all.
January Transfer Window on 22:07 - Jan 25 with 3986 viewsHebdale

Let’s face it, we won’t sign anyone, because we are definitely a broken toy. It’s just a complete mess top to bottom, and all the money in the world will not reverse this situation. We need a mercenary team, not this powder puff clueless shower, unfortunately not going to happen. Amateur in all respects.😢
January Transfer Window on 23:35 - Jan 25 with 3795 viewsJames1980

On this whole situation with Brierley surely Bentley would have some input regarding this trial with Sheffield Utd and potentially selling him. I'd like to think he has enough experience to judge whether it is ultimately the right thing for club and player.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

January Transfer Window on 23:50 - Jan 25 with 3752 viewsToffeemanc

January Transfer Window on 23:35 - Jan 25 by James1980

On this whole situation with Brierley surely Bentley would have some input regarding this trial with Sheffield Utd and potentially selling him. I'd like to think he has enough experience to judge whether it is ultimately the right thing for club and player.

I very much doubt he has had any input and has simply been overridden by the board. Earlier in the season he was very keen to point out that it was the board that sold Charman against his wishes and there was nothing h could do about it as we needed the money.
To me EBJ looks more pissed off and dejected with every passing post match interview.
Personally I’m now thinking that it is likely Brierley will be sold and I am sure this will be against his wishes. I’m also convinced we won’t get anymore than 1 player in if indeed we do get any at all before the window closes. Given are next 2 home games are against Carlisle and Northampton I’m expecting nothing more than 2 heavy defeats followed by EBJ resigning due to be handicapped by the board.
Whatever happens I’m 100% convinced we will be relegated without putting up a real fight and the board will be left with the financial consequences it will bring.
Unfortunately the board are now trying to run the club as a profitable business which it will never be and it is all to the detriment of the product on the pitch.
The long term effects will be relegation to non-league football and even smaller crowds and less money coming in which will only make the situation worse and the product on the pitch will continue to deteriorate. It’s a vicious circle which may well lead to the club ceasing to exist in the not to distant future.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

January Transfer Window on 00:14 - Jan 26 with 3725 viewsJames1980

January Transfer Window on 23:50 - Jan 25 by Toffeemanc

I very much doubt he has had any input and has simply been overridden by the board. Earlier in the season he was very keen to point out that it was the board that sold Charman against his wishes and there was nothing h could do about it as we needed the money.
To me EBJ looks more pissed off and dejected with every passing post match interview.
Personally I’m now thinking that it is likely Brierley will be sold and I am sure this will be against his wishes. I’m also convinced we won’t get anymore than 1 player in if indeed we do get any at all before the window closes. Given are next 2 home games are against Carlisle and Northampton I’m expecting nothing more than 2 heavy defeats followed by EBJ resigning due to be handicapped by the board.
Whatever happens I’m 100% convinced we will be relegated without putting up a real fight and the board will be left with the financial consequences it will bring.
Unfortunately the board are now trying to run the club as a profitable business which it will never be and it is all to the detriment of the product on the pitch.
The long term effects will be relegation to non-league football and even smaller crowds and less money coming in which will only make the situation worse and the product on the pitch will continue to deteriorate. It’s a vicious circle which may well lead to the club ceasing to exist in the not to distant future.

Didn't the sale of Charman bring funds into the club though but if we sell Ethan to the blades there is a possibility that we won't receive payment straight away due to the embargo. So if the plan is about maximising ROCE then surely this deal would be contrary to that plan.

January Transfer Window on 07:18 - Jan 26 with 3534 viewsscooby

January Transfer Window on 23:50 - Jan 25 by Toffeemanc

Do you think it would be against his wishes? he's not getting time here, even under Stockdale he was pissed about! I believe he was offered a trail at Burnley and RS prevented it, then sent him out on loan.

What talented kid wouldn't jump at a higher league, better coaching (in theory), better facilities, better money, better promises?
Login to get fewer ads

January Transfer Window on 08:49 - Jan 26 with 3408 viewselectricblue

If Dale do sell Brierley to who ever where will money go!
I reckon to help service the debt and not on players....

I agree with quite a lot said upon this topic except JB jumping ship etc.

Watching JBs last podt match interview he was holding his emotions as you could see it all in his face...
He think to himself after every match that it is like hitting your head on a brick wall, fair enough they train for the next match but come that day and they cross that white it becomes quite obvious that many are just not good enough....

Only plus for me is that even though Dale are propping up the league there is enough matches left to get those 3pts as Dale are not totally adrift yet but soon could be..

I do fear for the club if relegated...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

January Transfer Window on 09:31 - Jan 26 with 3276 viewsAtThePeake

January Transfer Window on 19:10 - Jan 25 by Thacks_Rabbits

Trying to put a positive slant on this which is difficult but…..

We have got rid of a lot of our loan players that were not up to it, if we really are as skint as it appears and cannot afford to bring players in, it could be that Ethan goes there on loan with a permanent fee agreed at the end of the season, in return we fill our available loans with genuine decent players who can come straight into the first team squad off them as part of the deal.

I believe that embargo does not effect loan players and also they can agree to cover full wages of players and also pay a fee to us for each appearance said loan players make for us. It’s cloak and dagger but they can effectively pay £50k per appearance of said players up to a max of say £400k to cover up front fees. This could be why the deal is taking a while but who knows.

Trying to be optimistic but I doubt this is the case as would involve a lot of forward thinking which we seem reticent to do!

re: your point about paying per appearance, I'm not sure that could apply for U21 games and I'd be stunned if they're signing Brierley to go straight into their first-team during the middle of a Championship title push. He's good but he's not anywhere near that level yet.

Tangled up in blue.

January Transfer Window on 12:50 - Jan 26 with 2899 viewsShun

I’ve been struggling to find the logic behind this and all I can come up with is that it’s a ‘favour’ to foster even better relationships with Sheff Utd. We’ve had a number of players on loan from them recently and seem to have a good relationship. Perhaps there was some agreement that they might have first refusal on any of our prospects.

Unfortunately Brierley isn’t just a prospect, he’s one of the best players on our squad. So to let him go on a trial basis during the most important on-field battle in our history is maddening.
January Transfer Window on 13:07 - Jan 26 with 2837 viewsHopwoodblue

It will be interesting to hear JB’s post match interview now the Brierley story is out.
If there’s no signings today I fear another defeat is on the cards Saturday, as anyone signed tomorrow would have to be before noon to be eligible ?
[Post edited 26 Jan 2023 13:07]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

January Transfer Window on 13:19 - Jan 26 with 2766 viewsD_Alien

January Transfer Window on 13:07 - Jan 26 by Hopwoodblue

It will be interesting to hear JB’s post match interview now the Brierley story is out.
If there’s no signings today I fear another defeat is on the cards Saturday, as anyone signed tomorrow would have to be before noon to be eligible ?
[Post edited 26 Jan 2023 13:07]

Tbf, is signing even a couple of players in time for Saturday going to make a real impact, with integration into the team and their own abilities the key issues. A combative midfielder would be great but why would they join Dale unless, like Lloyd, on the way back from long-term injury?

I don't see defeat against Carlisle as anything like the inevitability some people think it's going to be, football just doesn't work that way. But are the odds are in Carlisle's favour? Definitely

It would be interesting to find out at some stage on the targets we've missed out on. Again, it's not lack of effort in trying to bring players in (as some imply) but our league position and lack of financial clout. In fact, that's just stating the bleeding obvious, but the bleeding obvious still escapes those who rant about lack of incoming. Is it dispiriting? Of course. Is ranting going to help? Just the opposite

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

January Transfer Window on 14:25 - Jan 26 with 2619 viewsleedsdale

Shane McLoughlin has been released by Morecambe. Decent enough central midfielder, certainly when he was at Wimbledon. Don’t know if he has been injured but hasn’t played much this season.
January Transfer Window on 18:00 - Jan 26 with 2256 viewsdavidab2202

January Transfer Window on 19:53 - Jan 25 by jonahwhereru

I hope this loan period is not a contractual obligation that Brierley and his agent forced on the club. I accept that the lad probably has stars in his eyes, and we could be out of the league by the next window. However his talk of the love for the club when he stood on the Sandy and supported the side will ring a bit hollow with me, if his team are agitating for a move in our hour of greatest need.

Our search for new additions that will make a positive difference ain’t getting any easier.

I am disillusioned with the whole situation right now. Must get myself up again for Carlisle!
[Post edited 25 Jan 2023 20:47]

No matter how much of "soft spot" the lad is alleged to have for us , given this chance to better himself for all the possible benefits as another poster has listed, I would defy anyone putting themselves in his shoes to turn the opportunity down
This is the situation I envisaged on another topic when he wasn't in the squad for last Saturday.
It may work for him or could turn into another Daniel Adshead or Luke Matherson were things appear to have sadly gone a little sour for such young talent
January Transfer Window on 18:19 - Jan 26 with 2156 views442Dale

January Transfer Window on 14:25 - Jan 26 by leedsdale

Shane McLoughlin has been released by Morecambe. Decent enough central midfielder, certainly when he was at Wimbledon. Don’t know if he has been injured but hasn’t played much this season.

Has now signed for Salford.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

January Transfer Window on 18:30 - Jan 26 with 2114 viewsleedsdale

January Transfer Window on 18:19 - Jan 26 by 442Dale

Has now signed for Salford.

Obviously.

Ah well, nice to imagine it might happen for even a few minutes. Maybe his arrival means Salford might want to get rid of a midfielder. Maybe even one who has played for us before…
January Transfer Window on 18:44 - Jan 26 with 2043 viewsnordenblue

January Transfer Window on 18:30 - Jan 26 by leedsdale

Obviously.

Ah well, nice to imagine it might happen for even a few minutes. Maybe his arrival means Salford might want to get rid of a midfielder. Maybe even one who has played for us before…

Take Lund back every day of the week, if he becomes available that is....
January Transfer Window on 18:49 - Jan 26 with 2026 viewsNorthernDale

Why is it, that every other bottom team have signed 4 or 5 players, but all we have signed is one dodgy keeper. Jim keeps mentioning Colchester and Gillingham are spending money, which is fair enough, but even Hartlepool are signing players. So it is quite worrying, when the club keeps saying 'we hope to get people by next Tuesday', does this we will sign no one, but we tried very hard.
January Transfer Window on 18:51 - Jan 26 with 2019 viewsJames1980

January Transfer Window on 18:44 - Jan 26 by nordenblue

Take Lund back every day of the week, if he becomes available that is....

Perhaps they would loan him to us 🙏 surely it is better for them us staying up than a club in West Sussex Kent Or Essex

January Transfer Window on 19:28 - Jan 26 with 1904 viewspioneer

January Transfer Window on 08:49 - Jan 26 by electricblue

If Dale do sell Brierley to who ever where will money go!
I reckon to help service the debt and not on players....

I agree with quite a lot said upon this topic except JB jumping ship etc.

Watching JBs last podt match interview he was holding his emotions as you could see it all in his face...
He think to himself after every match that it is like hitting your head on a brick wall, fair enough they train for the next match but come that day and they cross that white it becomes quite obvious that many are just not good enough....

Only plus for me is that even though Dale are propping up the league there is enough matches left to get those 3pts as Dale are not totally adrift yet but soon could be..

I do fear for the club if relegated...

Id like to know what he thought to himself after the Bradford win, a third game unbeaten. They were good enough when they crossed that white line that night but he couldnt resist tinkering. What that did for team spirit/morale I wonder.

I am getting tired of all the blame being placed at the feet (and heads) of the players. The manager has made some strange decisions which he has failed to explain and now we have the Sheff United trial, which again must be as concerning to the players as it is to the fans. I am not suggesting this is down to the manager, more likely the board.

Disarray seems to be rampant throughout the club at the moment. There seems to be a lack of leadership to sort this out.
January Transfer Window on 19:52 - Jan 26 with 1831 viewsJames1980

January Transfer Window on 19:28 - Jan 26 by pioneer

Id like to know what he thought to himself after the Bradford win, a third game unbeaten. They were good enough when they crossed that white line that night but he couldnt resist tinkering. What that did for team spirit/morale I wonder.

I am getting tired of all the blame being placed at the feet (and heads) of the players. The manager has made some strange decisions which he has failed to explain and now we have the Sheff United trial, which again must be as concerning to the players as it is to the fans. I am not suggesting this is down to the manager, more likely the board.

Disarray seems to be rampant throughout the club at the moment. There seems to be a lack of leadership to sort this out.

Hopefully as a professional football manager JB didn't take his team selections lightly after the win at Bradford especially considering what is at stake.

January Transfer Window on 20:02 - Jan 26 with 1805 viewsDrigdale

January Transfer Window on 15:53 - Jan 10 by Drigdale

Have to say that I am getting a little concerned at the lack of transfer activity. It is almost 10 days since the window re opened and tonight we are playing our 3rd game since then.
To date we have released 3 players and only extended the short term contract of Danny Lloyd.
Other clubs at the foot of the table have been doing a tad more business. Are players reluctant to sign for us or is the really no money available?

In summary we now have returned 3 loan players, released a short term contract player, sent out a goalkeeper on loan and sent one of our best players on a not so secret trial. In addition we now have 2 centre halves suspended following their sending off.
On the plus side we have recruited a goalkeeper on loan.
I was concerned over 2 weeks ago at the lack of new signings, now I feel resigned that our relegation is inevitable.
It seems we have passed up the chance to get ourselves away from the relegation zone and seem to be planning for the Conference.
Our inability to complete any signings cant just be down to lack of money.
January Transfer Window on 20:08 - Jan 26 with 1761 viewsD_Alien

January Transfer Window on 20:02 - Jan 26 by Drigdale

In summary we now have returned 3 loan players, released a short term contract player, sent out a goalkeeper on loan and sent one of our best players on a not so secret trial. In addition we now have 2 centre halves suspended following their sending off.
On the plus side we have recruited a goalkeeper on loan.
I was concerned over 2 weeks ago at the lack of new signings, now I feel resigned that our relegation is inevitable.
It seems we have passed up the chance to get ourselves away from the relegation zone and seem to be planning for the Conference.
Our inability to complete any signings cant just be down to lack of money.

It isn't

if you were a pro footballer, would you sign for us, unless you'd been turned away from every other option (because you just weren't that good)?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

January Transfer Window on 20:32 - Jan 26 with 1648 viewsYorkshire_Dale

January Transfer Window on 20:08 - Jan 26 by D_Alien

It isn't

if you were a pro footballer, would you sign for us, unless you'd been turned away from every other option (because you just weren't that good)?

If I was a pro footballer I would ask around first to determine if Rochdale AFC were as bad as the League table suggested and were in fact in a false position. Do they have potential to improve? Could I help? Are there other factors to consider that may relate to a pending improvement, like a new training facility.

Then I would say "F*ck right off!"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024