Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FIFA World Cup thread. 12:02 - Nov 15 with 131241 viewsSnipper

I’m trying to get excited about this World Cup, but to no avail :-((.

I’ve just watched Sky Sports World Cup preview with Gary Neville, Jamie Redknapp, Jamie Carragher & Karen Carney. Utterly depressing viewing. Same old, same old. Picking players for the starting XI not playing for their clubs, or totally off form.

I’m hoping this thread can get the juices flowing.

Do any of you think England have a chance?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:53 - Nov 22 with 1952 viewsHayesender

I need a mute John Hartson button. Jesus christ!!!

Poll: Shamima Beghum

FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:55 - Nov 22 with 1951 viewsNorthernr

Crikey VAR is so unbelievably sht.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:56 - Nov 22 with 1937 viewsRanger_Things

FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:41 - Nov 22 by dmm

Don't the Argies always start competitions badly? I thought this WC might be their time.

I still fancy them to win it.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:14 - Nov 22 with 1845 viewsted_hendrix

FIFA World Cup thread. on 12:40 - Nov 22 by hubble

Well, well, well, so how's everyone doing negotiating this moral maze?! If you nailed your colours to the mast - as apparently 45% of you did - and said you weren't going to watch, have you reneged?? Have you had a sneaky peek? Come on, I guarantee some of you have, and to be honest, why not?

There are no absolutes, it's not black and white, and I personally have no problem with my apparent hypocrisy in not just watching, but seriously enjoying this feast of football; the game that's just finished being a case in point, how good was that?! Love it that the Saudis stuffed the Argies, this is what football, in its purest essence, is all about - never mind the infinite, myraid overlays that are being applied; at the end of the day, each of us makes our own choices, moral, ethical or otherwise, and mainstream orthodoxy is just that, it's not actual reality, is it? It's a complex set of cultural concepts at this moment in time, in the bizarre unfolding of whatever this existence is. Are you a bad person for enjoying your football? You most certainly are not.

For those of you who are taking the boycott position, well fair play to you, if that's what you want to do, but boy, you're missing some great football! I mean the England game was some match and Wales v USA was fascinating.

Peace and love!

* Have you had a sneaky peek? Come on, I guarantee some of you have, and to be honest, why not?*

I haven't.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:15 - Nov 22 with 1835 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 14:55 - Nov 22 by Northernr

Crikey VAR is so unbelievably sht.

why did that penalty need to be checked, was never handball, waste of time. Just busy bastards getting invovled
FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:20 - Nov 22 with 1819 viewsNorthernr

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:15 - Nov 22 by daveB

why did that penalty need to be checked, was never handball, waste of time. Just busy bastards getting invovled

I was actually pleased to see a referee go over, look at it, and ignore it, but how has he got a free kick to Tunisia?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:24 - Nov 22 with 1801 viewskensalriser

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:15 - Nov 22 by daveB

If you give people a position and a job to do it's likely they'll do it whether it needs to be done or not.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:32 - Nov 22 with 1769 viewsQPR_John

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:20 - Nov 22 by Northernr

I was actually pleased to see a referee go over, look at it, and ignore it, but how has he got a free kick to Tunisia?

Was there not a push on a Tunisian defender just prior to the “handball”
Login to get fewer ads

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:35 - Nov 22 with 1764 viewsterryb

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:20 - Nov 22 by Northernr

I think he decided a Danish player had pushed an opponent before the "handball". That would mean that he didn't overule the VAR decision.

Mind you, how that could have been a penalty & the one at the other end being ignored is beyond me! Not that I thought either should have been given.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:43 - Nov 22 with 1711 viewsdanehoop

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:35 - Nov 22 by terryb

I think he decided a Danish player had pushed an opponent before the "handball". That would mean that he didn't overule the VAR decision.

Mind you, how that could have been a penalty & the one at the other end being ignored is beyond me! Not that I thought either should have been given.

Not unhappy with the result for Denmark, but played in fits and starts without really sparking. Strikers definitely look rusty.

Never knowingly understood

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:52 - Nov 22 with 1671 viewsSnipper

Regarding VAR, would it not be an idea to have a small select number of officials to do VAR duties?

Have a small group of 4-6 to do all matches.

That way, you should get consistent decisions from them.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:52 - Nov 22 with 1671 viewsNorthernr

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:32 - Nov 22 by QPR_John

Not relative to some of the other pushes that have already been let go.

I'm still not sure how the penalties we've seen given since the Maguire incident can possibly be penalties if that wasn't.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:52 - Nov 22 with 1664 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:43 - Nov 22 by danehoop

Not unhappy with the result for Denmark, but played in fits and starts without really sparking. Strikers definitely look rusty.

They'll do well this World Cup, can see them winning that group still. Draw wasn't a bad result really they certainly looked the more likely to score as the game went on
FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:54 - Nov 22 with 1657 viewsJuzzie

Looked a handball to me but accidental. So, what's the rule regarding accidental.... I thought it was still a penalty these days?

confused dot com.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:01 - Nov 22 with 1622 viewsQPR_John

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:52 - Nov 22 by Northernr

Not relative to some of the other pushes that have already been let go.

I'm still not sure how the penalties we've seen given since the Maguire incident can possibly be penalties if that wasn't.

I think that is the point. The referee did not even consider the “handball” because of the push. He did give a free kick to Tunisia .
[Post edited 22 Nov 2022 16:04]
FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:02 - Nov 22 with 1625 viewsterryb

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:54 - Nov 22 by Juzzie

Looked a handball to me but accidental. So, what's the rule regarding accidental.... I thought it was still a penalty these days?

confused dot com.

Only if the arm is in an "un-natural" position.

I've no idea what that is though!
FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:03 - Nov 22 with 1623 viewsBedford_R

FIFA World Cup thread. on 15:32 - Nov 22 by QPR_John

This is what I saw and this is most probably why the handball penalty was not given. Not many others making this point. Doesn't matter if it was handball after the foul he gave the free kick for..

RMH_R Reborn

FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:03 - Nov 22 with 1619 viewsRangersw12

We should be able to hear the VAR refs like you do in every other sport
FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:06 - Nov 22 with 1600 viewsQPR_John

FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:03 - Nov 22 by Rangersw12

We should be able to hear the VAR refs like you do in every other sport

100%.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:20 - Nov 22 with 1499 viewseastside_r

FIFA World Cup thread. on 16:02 - Nov 22 by terryb

Only if the arm is in an "un-natural" position.

I've no idea what that is though!

Yeah. Good job Paolo di Canio has retired.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:41 - Nov 22 with 1465 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Poland v Mexico is basically Strong v Quick but neither can finish their dinner.
FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:48 - Nov 22 with 1449 viewsNorthernr

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:41 - Nov 22 by BazzaInTheLoft

Poland v Mexico is basically Strong v Quick but neither can finish their dinner.

years and years of 4231 and 433 hasn't done much for the quality and quantity of world class strikers has it?
FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:50 - Nov 22 with 1442 viewsdenhamhoop2

God there is some dross being played so far
FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:00 - Nov 22 with 1419 viewsdaveB

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:50 - Nov 22 by denhamhoop2

God there is some dross being played so far

that was 2 dire games
FIFA World Cup thread. on 18:03 - Nov 22 with 2696 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

FIFA World Cup thread. on 17:48 - Nov 22 by Northernr

years and years of 4231 and 433 hasn't done much for the quality and quantity of world class strikers has it?

Exactly.

Lewandowski aside, zero finesse.

I fancy England out scoring any side on show so far.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024