Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit .... My thoughts... 11:07 - Jun 16 with 146200 viewsJacksDad

The one thing I am certain of re this vote is that no-one knows for sure what the repercussions economically will be if we pull out. If you listen to the experts it will be better if we stay in, however its all unconvincing. My issue is that after 10 years of Austerity, the services in this country have been cut to the bone, that is services that are needed by us all - not just Immigrants/benefit spongers. We are not in a position to afford the enormous gamble if it all goes t1ts up. I am taking my lead from Ray Winston and gambling responsibly and staying in. If we ever get to situation when everything is adequately funded and horrible 0 hours contracts were abolished ... then maybe it might be worth the risk to pull out. But to do it now is a massive gamble which we just cannot afford to lose.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 16:00 - Jun 24 with 2596 viewslondonscottish

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 15:47 - Jun 24 by PinnerPaul

I was a remain but scare stories like this just continue the depressing tone of the referendum.

When you read what they actually said
Morgan Stanley today denied reports that it had begun the process of relocation: “The UK’s vote to leave the European Union is a very significant decision which will have a considerable impact, the extent of which will not be known for some time. There will be at least a period of two years before an actual exit takes place, so there will be time to implement any changes required to adjust our business to the new environment.

they are not exactly heading for the hills just yet!

Yeah I know but having lived through the recession of the late 80's/early 90's we all know how this pans out.

Initial massive drop in value followed by 2-3 years of contracts being deferred/reduced/cancelled and massive hit on the supply industry for which I happen to work.

All the major banks are looking to massively reduce their cost base anyway and we've just handed them a really good excuse to cut deep in London and the rest of the UK.

From where I'm sitting it doesn't look at all clever.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 16:02 - Jun 24 with 2589 viewsRs_Holy

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 15:23 - Jun 24 by daveB

Oh well at least we'll no longer be run by unelected officials in the EU, we'll be run by an unelected prime minister instead

until the next election.... Gotta love democracy!
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 16:02 - Jun 24 with 2588 viewsPinnerPaul

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 15:56 - Jun 24 by Mytch_QPR

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons... remember the earlier posts on this thread about how the result gets rejected until the right result is achieved:

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/second-eu-referendum-petition-cras

The website has indeed crashed, but I doubt it will come to anything.

Listening to the radio earlier there are some reports of schoolkids taunting foreign children that they'll have to go home now. All typical kids banter, I suppose, but sad to hear about.

Rather misses the point that any leave legislation has to go through parliament anyway which I've always said.

Today BBC already saying a large group of MPs plan to lobby for a vote for UK to stay as trade partners with EU - can't see it happening as it says we would need to maintain free movement to EU nationals AND agree a contribution to EU.

However it does illustrate that exit won't be quick or straightforward as majority in the house were remain.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 16:10 - Jun 24 with 2556 viewslondonscottish

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 16:02 - Jun 24 by PinnerPaul

Rather misses the point that any leave legislation has to go through parliament anyway which I've always said.

Today BBC already saying a large group of MPs plan to lobby for a vote for UK to stay as trade partners with EU - can't see it happening as it says we would need to maintain free movement to EU nationals AND agree a contribution to EU.

However it does illustrate that exit won't be quick or straightforward as majority in the house were remain.

Great. A long-drawn out, expensive process that discourages investment and scares investors away.

Just what we need.

FFS we've been in recession since 2008. I've never had to work so hard for my living. Can't wait to be a 50 something bloke trying to hold onto his job in a self-induced depression*

*that's the economy and me

BTW I totally get why people voted for Brexit. I've just turned into my Dad.

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 16:15 - Jun 24 with 2524 viewsrobith

For posterity

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 16:20 - Jun 24 with 2519 viewsdaveB

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 15:23 - Jun 24 by FloridaR

Don't understand why Sturgeon is calling for Independence when Scotland just voted to stay with the United Kingdom in Europe...

Surely she got it wrong like Cameron and should be stepping down as well ?

not really, Scotland voted to stay so she did her job very well and now has a situation where Scotand will leave the Eu which they didn't vote for
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 16:22 - Jun 24 with 2510 viewsPinnerPaul

2ND EU MEMBERSHIP REFERENDUM BEFORE 2019? Wednesday 31st August 2016, 22:00
Second EU Referendum Hide
Singles Only. Applies to a UK-wide referendum on in/out EU membership or on acceptance of new membership terms. Must offer option of membership terms.
Yes 3/1
No 1/5

Interesting - more chance of that happening than they thought of Leave winning yesterday afternoon!
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 16:29 - Jun 24 with 2492 viewsMytch_QPR

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 16:22 - Jun 24 by PinnerPaul

Singles Only. Applies to a UK-wide referendum on in/out EU membership or on acceptance of new membership terms. Must offer option of membership terms.
Yes 3/1
No 1/5

Interesting - more chance of that happening than they thought of Leave winning yesterday afternoon!

If they drop the eligible age to 12 and exempt anyone over 60 we're in with a chance. Plus they could close all the polling stations north of Watford under emergency powers.

[Post edited 24 Jun 2016 16:33]

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 16:38 - Jun 24 with 2455 viewsdaveB

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 16:22 - Jun 24 by PinnerPaul

Yes 3/1
No 1/5

I think that's very unlikely to happen
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 16:45 - Jun 24 with 2429 viewslondonscottish

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 16:29 - Jun 24 by Mytch_QPR

If they drop the eligible age to 12 and exempt anyone over 60 we're in with a chance. Plus they could close all the polling stations north of Watford under emergency powers.

[Post edited 24 Jun 2016 16:33]

:-) :-)

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 17:01 - Jun 24 with 2390 viewsstevec

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 12:47 - Jun 24 by DannytheR

Negativity? No, I've always chosen to take responsibility for my own life right or wrong, rather than blaming Brussels bureaucrats or immigrants or Eddie Izzard because the chips didn't fall my way.

Fascinated to find out who you're going to blame if things continue to go as tits up as they already have in the space of a single morning.

Won't be yourself though, will it Steve?

You're right Danny, it won't.

but if things do go tits up I can now vote out the politicians concerned unlike the EU bureaucrats who presided over the UK until today.

in case you're wondering where the venoms coming from, 20 years ago an EU directive combo with Majors government deprived my small company of £100k a year contract so they could repackage contracts out the reach of smaller firms and into the hands of corporates. The corporates made such a fck up of it, some of the work came back to me as the local NHS were sick of waiting for their goods. I was doing work for Northwick Park, 4 miles away, as I'd always done before but now made to ship it to Oldham (the corporates HQ) and they subsequently delivered it back in smaller bundles. It was costing the NHS a fortune. I wrote to the DTI and the Home Secretary about the scandalous waste of taxpayers money, got no reply, and sinisterly never saw a single job from the Corporates again.

The whole EU project is and always has been a stitch up supporting big business and fck the rest of society. Wake up to reality mate.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 17:20 - Jun 24 with 2334 viewsjohncharles

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 15:44 - Jun 24 by PinnerPaul

I think they meant European as in geographically, we are still In Europe.

Bit like there was football before the PL, there was a Europe before the EU!

No they meant the EU. They hinted a couple of years ago that they might move if Britain left the EU. They want base in the EU. Sorry I said Europe and confused you.Confusing times

Strong and stable my arse.

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 17:38 - Jun 24 with 2288 viewsderbyhoop

I'm reminded of a quote from an earlier British PM who went against the popular option.

“They may ring their bells now, before long they will be wringing their hands.”

Robert Walpole 1737

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one's lifetime." (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop and now on Bluesky

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 18:34 - Jun 24 with 2209 viewslondonscottish

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 17:38 - Jun 24 by derbyhoop

I'm reminded of a quote from an earlier British PM who went against the popular option.

“They may ring their bells now, before long they will be wringing their hands.”

Robert Walpole 1737

To misquote Steve Jobs.

"You can't expect your customers to know what they don't want until you show it to them".

Well have a little look at this.

http://news.sky.com/story/1716745/investors-terrified-at-chaos-created-by-brexit

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 18:53 - Jun 24 with 2163 views1BobbyHazell

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 18:34 - Jun 24 by londonscottish

To misquote Steve Jobs.

"You can't expect your customers to know what they don't want until you show it to them".

Well have a little look at this.

http://news.sky.com/story/1716745/investors-terrified-at-chaos-created-by-brexit

http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/debtclock/unitedkingdom

As you yourself said we have been in recession since 2008, a lot of people who voted leave are actually experiencing the results of that in their real lives already. Let's focus on helping them, creating a society that supports its vulnerable (be it physical, mental, emotional or fiscal) and stop being compliant in the wealth grab that has occurred by the already wealthy during that 'recession'.

I mean are you really going to just post every story you can find on what the world's rapacious movers of numbers on a screen are gambling on today in their desperate attempt to make a profit on everything that happens in the world without actually contributing anything of value to it?

Don't make me start posting youtube videos!

Actually on a serious note, those of you who are providing the economic doom today, now would honestly be a good time to watch those vids I repeatedly put up. If you are going to fret about banks and money you should at least learn how it was all created and what (and in whose interests) it has been used/manipulated for. I also think you may find much solace in the Icelandic President's interview about experiencing this exact same economic fear mongering and the ways in which they proved it to be absolutely wrong and what it took as a community/society to create a wholly different outcome.

Love and peace
[Post edited 24 Jun 2016 19:29]
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 19:01 - Jun 24 with 2133 viewsBoston

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 18:53 - Jun 24 by 1BobbyHazell

As you yourself said we have been in recession since 2008, a lot of people who voted leave are actually experiencing the results of that in their real lives already. Let's focus on helping them, creating a society that supports its vulnerable (be it physical, mental, emotional or fiscal) and stop being compliant in the wealth grab that has occurred by the already wealthy during that 'recession'.

I mean are you really going to just post every story you can find on what the world's rapacious movers of numbers on a screen are gambling on today in their desperate attempt to make a profit on everything that happens in the world without actually contributing anything of value to it?

Actually on a serious note, those of you who are providing the economic doom today, now would honestly be a good time to watch those vids I repeatedly put up. If you are going to fret about banks and money you should at least learn how it was all created and what (and in whose interests) it has been used/manipulated for. I also think you may find much solace in the Icelandic President's interview about experiencing this exact same economic fear mongering and the ways in which they proved it to be absolutely wrong and what it took as a community/society to create a wholly different outcome.

Love and peace

Again 1Bob, you deal with those spreading 2Bob views admirably.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 19:27 - Jun 24 with 2068 viewsDannytheR

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 17:01 - Jun 24 by stevec

You're right Danny, it won't.

but if things do go tits up I can now vote out the politicians concerned unlike the EU bureaucrats who presided over the UK until today.

in case you're wondering where the venoms coming from, 20 years ago an EU directive combo with Majors government deprived my small company of £100k a year contract so they could repackage contracts out the reach of smaller firms and into the hands of corporates. The corporates made such a fck up of it, some of the work came back to me as the local NHS were sick of waiting for their goods. I was doing work for Northwick Park, 4 miles away, as I'd always done before but now made to ship it to Oldham (the corporates HQ) and they subsequently delivered it back in smaller bundles. It was costing the NHS a fortune. I wrote to the DTI and the Home Secretary about the scandalous waste of taxpayers money, got no reply, and sinisterly never saw a single job from the Corporates again.

The whole EU project is and always has been a stitch up supporting big business and fck the rest of society. Wake up to reality mate.

That’s an awful story Steve. I can see why you’d be left angry, even if what you’re describing happened more than 20 years ago. But unless I’m missing something it was a carve-up between big corporations and a Tory government, acting under an EU directive.

And it’s funny, because I’ve not really heard you say anything bad about Tories or corporations, apart from to saying the EU is a shill for them.

What you have a go at, repeatedly, up to and including today, are “luvvies” and the “left.” Unless I’m losing my marbles, it was you that was on about how “the left” control everything in Britain from the police to teaching unions (although you then said you didn’t know much about teachers while talking about your admiration for Michael Gove, which is a bit confusing).

Personally, I don’t see how they’re responsible for a stitch-up involving the DTI under a Tory Prime Minister in the 1990s, but they seem to be what gets you raging. I can’t really work that one out, but then again, I’m a metropolitan lefty myself aren’t I?

Anyway, you’re in the drivers seat now. I’m sitting here in London (unlike a lot of the people on here holding forth about Britain’s problems from Cyprus or Florida), with a mortgage and kids in the state school system. So I hope for my family’s sake you’re right.

No more excuses otherwise though.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 19:28 - Jun 24 with 2064 viewslondonscottish

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 18:53 - Jun 24 by 1BobbyHazell

Love and peace

I'm not trying to be emotive. I just happen to work in IT and the company I work for supply a lot of banks. The contracts are about to dry up because of Brexit.

I totally get why people are attracted to Brexit but I'm concerned about the effects.

I know that Brexit supporters didn't set off with this as an aim - of course not - but it's an unintentional consequence.

The chances of me and a lot of people being out of work come January have just rocketed.

BTW not trying to have an argument, just a debate, Peace.

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 19:28 - Jun 24 with 2062 viewsTheBlob

It's been like a funeral oration on the BBC and Sky.
All the fat mouthed losers in the world getting a say,but hey that's democracy for you.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 19:41 - Jun 24 with 2026 views1BobbyHazell

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 19:28 - Jun 24 by londonscottish

I'm not trying to be emotive. I just happen to work in IT and the company I work for supply a lot of banks. The contracts are about to dry up because of Brexit.

I totally get why people are attracted to Brexit but I'm concerned about the effects.

I know that Brexit supporters didn't set off with this as an aim - of course not - but it's an unintentional consequence.

The chances of me and a lot of people being out of work come January have just rocketed.

BTW not trying to have an argument, just a debate, Peace.

I'm really sorry to hear that LondonScottish. I hope everything works out for you.

Let's all work towards creating a society where people who fall on hard times are well supported as opposed to the current direction of the withdrawing of support and benefits.

There's plenty of 'wealth' available, let's stop the big institutions hoovering more of it up.

People first.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 19:44 - Jun 24 with 2602 viewsdistortR

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 15:43 - Jun 24 by CiderwithRsie

Indeed. The IoM is not part of either the EU or UK.

I think many of them aren't too keen on being part of the 21st century. Or the 20th, really.

(Apologies to DistortR. I know how they feel sometimes.)

We have a modicum of self-rule here, in reality our government pretty much does as it is told, by the uk but mainly by big business. We have financial and on-line gambling industries that pay well, other jobs, not so much. So yet another divided society.

they control immigration through a work-permit system and stringent benefit rules. Works well on the whole. Some sort of deal has been done with the uk, east europeans have come in in relatively big numbers in the past few years - probably make up 5 - 8% of the island's population now. But unemployment is about 2% and the benefit rules mean we get people who want to work. It has had a negative effect on wages in some industries in my opinion.

We don't have a prime minister but a chief minister. The stench of corruption wafts around him.

Personally, i would love to withdraw from modern life.
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 19:52 - Jun 24 with 2569 viewslondonscottish

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 19:41 - Jun 24 by 1BobbyHazell

I'm really sorry to hear that LondonScottish. I hope everything works out for you.

Let's all work towards creating a society where people who fall on hard times are well supported as opposed to the current direction of the withdrawing of support and benefits.

There's plenty of 'wealth' available, let's stop the big institutions hoovering more of it up.

People first.

Thanks mate. My position is in no way as bad as others of course but still a concern for me and my OH.

But the reason I come to this board is for debate. Lots of interesting posters, interesting views on all manner of topics.

Now, though, it's time for beer.

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 20:29 - Jun 24 with 2504 viewsessextaxiboy

This thread has morphed into a self fulfilling disaster thread since i last looked .

I say again wait and see, everything is unsettled its was always going to to be so .

Sit tight , let the politicians fight it out , once a plan is in place we can see where we are going how fast and who might be affected .

As confidence grows , agreements made and we have clarity about how our personal situation may be affected we can start to plan .
Brexit .... My thoughts... on 20:31 - Jun 24 with 2494 viewskensalriser

I'm wondering what will happen if/when all the disillusioned socially and economically disadvantaged voters come to realise that nothing has improved for them. That after several years of a more pro-austerity and authoritarian government and a fresh recession there are no more jobs, no more infrastructure, no more regeneration, fewer benefits, fewer opportunities. That they've been sold a pup and leaving the EU solved nothing for them.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Brexit .... My thoughts... on 20:42 - Jun 24 with 2475 viewsderbyhoop

On a similar theme to kensalriser

What happens in 2 years time when
a) we're out of the EU
b) many immigrants have gone back because they no longer feel welcome (a frequent comment from EU migrants living in the UK
c) we've still got loads of problems - austerity, low/no growth, etc

Who will get the blame then?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one's lifetime." (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop and now on Bluesky

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024