Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pitch Covers. 11:03 - Jan 16 with 12939 viewsdingdangblue

Failed. A waste of money if they are not working. What's the point of covering the pitch with frost covers that dont do the job?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Pitch Covers. on 14:21 - Jan 16 with 2812 viewsFrog

Haven't read the full thread but frost covers will protect fown to-4 any colder and you need some form of heat which is expensive.
Pitch Covers. on 14:23 - Jan 16 with 2811 views442Dale

Further info on the pitch covers after the Orientnpostponement last season:

http://daletrust.com/news/?p=2072

"We received an email over the weekend from a Member with some questions regarding the recent home match being postponed, here they are with the answers —

1) Were the roll-on covers (the thicker ones that take only a few minutes to put each one on) those that the Trust helped to buy?

Yes

2) How long do these covers take to remove?

We’re told that the new covers can be put on or taken off by two or three people in about 30 minutes.

3) What temperatures do these covers protect against and exactly how much of the pitch do they cover?

The new covers will protect to minus 4C for short spells…perhaps two or three nights. Longer spells of freezing temperatures may still result in a frozen pitch. However, it’s important that the grass be uncovered when possible to allow air and natural light to get to the grass. The new covers cover about 40% of the pitch i.e the part nearest the Main Stand that does not get any sunlight at all in Winter.

4) On what days since the Stoke game were these covers used?

As far as we’re aware they have not been put down at all since the Stoke game."

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Pitch Covers. on 14:23 - Jan 16 with 2810 viewsdingdangblue

Pitch Covers. on 14:21 - Jan 16 by Frog

Haven't read the full thread but frost covers will protect fown to-4 any colder and you need some form of heat which is expensive.

And if they are put down on Friday afternoon when its been freezing overnight since Tuesday they are even less protective.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Pitch Covers. on 14:38 - Jan 16 with 2769 viewsLS27Rdale

Pitch Covers. on 12:07 - Jan 16 by dawlishdale

Glad I didn't travel. I more or less decided it would be off when the inspection was announced yesterday.

My Dad lives within a couple of miles of the ground, and he took a look at it yesterday. Having not seen the pitch since last Saturday, this is what he told me on the phone just now.

The Sandy Lane end of the ground is in very poor condition, and this is not a postponement merely due to the frost of last couple of nights....we have much bigger issues . It appears that the drains have not been able to cope with the heavy rain of the last month coupled with playing two games last weekend.

My dad reckons the pitch will need re laying again at great cost, as he says there is a problem with the drains at the Sandy Lane end. He says it's nothing to do with the covers, but more because of the rainwater which isn't draining through. He also reckons that too much sand has been used in a desperate attempt to rectify the problem, and that we will all have a shock when we next see the pitch.

He does have experience of football pitch technology, and has called things correctly before. Oh and he has a weather station in his garden...last night went down to -5.4C and it was still -2.3C at 9.45am.

The most sensible post on here....

As its been generally ignored, its probably not far from the truth.

Back to the cricket
Pitch Covers. on 14:53 - Jan 16 with 2705 views442Dale

Pitch Covers. on 14:38 - Jan 16 by LS27Rdale

The most sensible post on here....

As its been generally ignored, its probably not far from the truth.

Back to the cricket

It was a very interesting post, definitely noted.

There are plenty of good posts in this thread. Fans just want a bit more information.

Pitch Covers. on 15:07 - Jan 16 with 2671 viewsTVOS1907

Pitch Covers. on 14:53 - Jan 16 by 442Dale

It was a very interesting post, definitely noted.

There are plenty of good posts in this thread. Fans just want a bit more information.

Absolutely and the absence of any further information about what the problems are and what has/hasn't happened is only going to lead to conflicting views and speculation.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Pitch Covers. on 15:10 - Jan 16 with 2652 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Pitch Covers. on 11:29 - Jan 16 by PotterDale

minus 3 apparently, but I only saw it as low as minus 2. But either way that's not cold enough for the covers not to do the jobs they are supposed to.

Have we still got the receipt......?

I seem to remember we farted around for months before finally picking these covers which came with glowing comments, did n't one of the Directors get involved as an advisor?......... If they are as crap as suggested herein, get them sent back under the guarantee.
Pitch Covers. on 15:16 - Jan 16 with 2630 viewsrobbowood

Pitch Covers. on 15:07 - Jan 16 by TVOS1907

Absolutely and the absence of any further information about what the problems are and what has/hasn't happened is only going to lead to conflicting views and speculation.

Hopefully dawlishdale's dad, being so knowledgeable on problems with pitches after bad weather (and living a short distance from the ground) will have a chat with our groundsman
Login to get fewer ads

Pitch Covers. on 20:38 - Jan 16 with 2410 viewsdingdangblue

Pitch Covers. on 15:10 - Jan 16 by Yorkshire_Dale

Have we still got the receipt......?

I seem to remember we farted around for months before finally picking these covers which came with glowing comments, did n't one of the Directors get involved as an advisor?......... If they are as crap as suggested herein, get them sent back under the guarantee.

I think its been established that they were put on the pitch yesterday afternoon. It started freezing overnight from Tuesday onwards so probably already frozen before it was covered.

Pitch Covers. on 20:53 - Jan 16 with 2372 viewsnordenblue

Pitch Covers. on 20:38 - Jan 16 by dingdangblue

I think its been established that they were put on the pitch yesterday afternoon. It started freezing overnight from Tuesday onwards so probably already frozen before it was covered.

Is that to keep the cold in or out of the covers!!,mind blowing,the cold weather hardly came as a shock
Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 21:36 - Jan 16 with 2295 viewsDomDale

I can't believe some of the bitter nonsense spouted on here about Hornets. They pay to play at Spotland and the RFL officials deemed the pitch safe for them to play last week. Why on earth should they seek an alternative venue? Our arrangement with Hornets has been around since what 1988? It's hardly a new phenomenon. If it pissed down in summer , and it often does in Rochdale, should Dale seek out an alternative venue with a few hours notice? Won't happen.
We can't hide from the fact the weather has been shite all festive period up until now. We had a good run of not having a P-P for a few seasons but with our resources in our location we should expect the odd postponement.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2016 21:42]

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Pitch Covers. on 22:07 - Jan 16 with 2228 viewsVespa

Aye some c&#t should put their foot down with a firm hand.

Up the Dale, C'mon Hornets

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 22:08 - Jan 16 with 2221 viewsmingthemerciless

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 21:36 - Jan 16 by DomDale

I can't believe some of the bitter nonsense spouted on here about Hornets. They pay to play at Spotland and the RFL officials deemed the pitch safe for them to play last week. Why on earth should they seek an alternative venue? Our arrangement with Hornets has been around since what 1988? It's hardly a new phenomenon. If it pissed down in summer , and it often does in Rochdale, should Dale seek out an alternative venue with a few hours notice? Won't happen.
We can't hide from the fact the weather has been shite all festive period up until now. We had a good run of not having a P-P for a few seasons but with our resources in our location we should expect the odd postponement.

I couldn't agree more. Going off the attitude of some of the posters on here is there any point in Hornets doing a deal with the Football Club ? Would it be worth the paper it's written on ?

Getting back to the pitch - is there any truth in the rumour I heard that the drains in that area were irrepairablely damaged during the building of the stand adjacent to the problem area ?
Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 22:15 - Jan 16 with 2195 viewsD_Alien

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 22:08 - Jan 16 by mingthemerciless

I couldn't agree more. Going off the attitude of some of the posters on here is there any point in Hornets doing a deal with the Football Club ? Would it be worth the paper it's written on ?

Getting back to the pitch - is there any truth in the rumour I heard that the drains in that area were irrepairablely damaged during the building of the stand adjacent to the problem area ?

"is there any point in Hornets doing a deal with the Football Club ? Would it be worth the paper it's written on ?"

Absolutely right ming. I've no truck with Hornets (although I used to enjoy watching them back in the 70's and again in the 90's) but for posters to start ranting about lancing boils is completely counter-productive. The Dale have to provide absolute assurances that Hornets will have rights to play their games (of whatever nature) or there will be no deal on the stadium ownership.

The Dale directors and manager must be as enraged as the rest of us by the pitch situation but will have to keep to their part of the deal or its no deal. The game last Sunday will have been used by Hornets as a test of dale's resolve in this matter. In order to see this through, we should simply bite the bullet and let the deal take it's course. It goes against the grain to do so, but for the Dale to start creating about it now would just confirm to Hornets and the RL that we aren't as good as our word. That's summat we've accused Hornets of, so we need to be better than that.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 23:40 - Jan 16 with 2046 viewsdingdangblue

Why do Dale need to do a deal with Hornets? They are tenants at Spotland , Dale are negotiating with the RMBC and the RFL. To be honest Hornets really need to look elsewhere for a venue - somewhere more in keeping with their standing in the game these days - Lenny Barn is available.

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 00:41 - Jan 17 with 1975 viewsrochedale

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 23:40 - Jan 16 by dingdangblue

Why do Dale need to do a deal with Hornets? They are tenants at Spotland , Dale are negotiating with the RMBC and the RFL. To be honest Hornets really need to look elsewhere for a venue - somewhere more in keeping with their standing in the game these days - Lenny Barn is available.

Think we should remember that a couple of weeks ago the town was flooded due to the vast amount of rainfall. Maybe that has had something to do with in. Maybe?

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 01:20 - Jan 17 with 1950 viewsTVOS1907

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 21:36 - Jan 16 by DomDale

Football and egg-chasing require different qualities of surface.

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 01:21 - Jan 17 with 1948 viewsTVOS1907

Your first point is remarkably ironic.

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 08:41 - Jan 17 with 1827 viewsmingthemerciless

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 01:21 - Jan 17 by TVOS1907

Your first point is remarkably ironic.

Ironic or not it still wants answering. A meeting was held to agree to sell the shares to the football club. That decision was taken in good faith and the assurances given by the football club were accepted at face value. No doubt another meeting could be held to reverse that decision.
Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 09:07 - Jan 17 with 1782 views442Dale

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 08:41 - Jan 17 by mingthemerciless

Ironic or not it still wants answering. A meeting was held to agree to sell the shares to the football club. That decision was taken in good faith and the assurances given by the football club were accepted at face value. No doubt another meeting could be held to reverse that decision.

I've no issue with Hornets in this really, there are questions for Dale to answer around use of the pitch covers and the current situation of any problems that exist with the pitch... however...

A meeting to agree to sell the shares? Whose shares?

Reverse the decision? What could that do then?

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 11:26 - Jan 17 with 2144 viewsdingdangblue

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 08:41 - Jan 17 by mingthemerciless

Dale could have a meeting with Hornets and arrange payment details for going halves to re lay the pitch? ....................no thought not.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2016 13:12]

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 12:22 - Jan 17 with 2005 viewsMoonyDale

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 11:26 - Jan 17 by dingdangblue

Dale could have a meeting with Hornets and arrange payment details for going halves to re lay the pitch? ....................no thought not.

Now that's the funniest comment on this thread, there's only one source of funding to sort the pitch out and it doesn't chase an egg......

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Pitch Covers. on 12:39 - Jan 17 with 1951 views442Dale

Out of interest, what happens to all the food etc that would have been on its way/being prepared when a game is called off as late as 11am?

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 12:44 - Jan 17 with 1940 viewsrobbowood

Pitch Covers. (n/t) on 11:26 - Jan 17 by dingdangblue

and the amount of rent Hornets currently give to the stadium company will be a fraction of what it will cost to have a new pitch relaid

so there is no financial benefit to the stadium company, from the rent received, as has possibly been the case in previous seasons

if we do eventually buy the ground the football club must surely ensure that the rugby rent is more than it is now

I doubt it will happen and the rugby club will continue to play on a waterlooged pitch which wouldn't be fit for football with the resulting consequences
Pitch Covers. on 15:09 - Jan 17 with 1782 views49thseason

From 2005 - BBC
Rochdale seek to end Spotland row
Spotland's pitch has become a disputed issue between the clubs
A meeting has been called in a bid to end the row between Rochdale AFC and Rochdale Hornets rugby league club over their shared Spotland home.
Dale's League Two match with Grimsby on New Year's Day was abandoned at half-time as the pitch was waterlogged.

But last week, the Hornets went ahead with a cup match against Oldham.

Dale's directors then stopped all rent payments to their landlords, the Stadium Company - forcing chairman Alan Brett to call a meeting for Wednesday.

Director Jim Fagan told the football club's website: "We hope that a true and fair formula is worked out for both clubs to meet their financial and moral obligations."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rochdale/4182679.stm

11 years on and nothing has changed it would seem.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024