Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pitch Covers. 11:03 - Jan 16 with 12940 viewsdingdangblue

Failed. A waste of money if they are not working. What's the point of covering the pitch with frost covers that dont do the job?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Pitch Covers. on 11:29 - Jan 16 with 2888 views1mark1

Pitch Covers. on 11:23 - Jan 16 by KenBoon

How cold did it get there last night? I live beside the seaside and it was as low as -4 , so I imagine Rochdale was even colder.

Minus three, though it could have got to minus four or five at Spotland for a hour or two.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Pitch Covers. on 11:29 - Jan 16 with 2888 viewsJimmyRustler

Pitch Covers. on 11:25 - Jan 16 by dingdangblue

Thats what I mean - if we had played today - Hornets could have played tomorrow. Now they cant.

That would cutting off our noses to spite our face though surely. We would have wanted this game on badly today.
Pitch Covers. on 11:29 - Jan 16 with 2883 views442Dale

Pitch Covers. on 11:25 - Jan 16 by 1mark1

The forecasts were there to see. The frosts came from Tuesday onwards, no excuse to not have pitch covered, as they would if needed had got help from volunteers to put them on .

They would indeed. Time and again supporters have offered assistance with covers, clearing the pitch etc.

If there had been a request this week the workload could have been eased a bit on the groundstaff.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Pitch Covers. on 11:32 - Jan 16 with 2870 views442Dale

The referee would only look at the pitch as it is now when making a decision. It was frozen.

The surrounding issues are valid but we have to establish first as to why the covers didn't work. Again, there may well be valid reason but it requires a detailed analysis of their suitability to be viewed by the supporters who paid for them.

Pitch Covers. on 11:34 - Jan 16 with 2855 views1mark1

You may well be right, however without frost would the pitch have been unplayable or just shite? I agree the club are doing their best not to rock the boat regarding Stadium deal.

Pitch Covers. on 11:34 - Jan 16 with 2850 viewsfitzochris

The groundsman is being good enough to explain the situation on Twitter. It doesn't seem to match the article 442 posted, however.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Pitch Covers. on 11:35 - Jan 16 with 2838 views442Dale

Pitch Covers. on 11:34 - Jan 16 by fitzochris

The groundsman is being good enough to explain the situation on Twitter. It doesn't seem to match the article 442 posted, however.

Link please?

Pitch Covers. on 11:45 - Jan 16 with 2741 viewsMoonyDale

Pitch Covers. on 11:34 - Jan 16 by 1mark1

You may well be right, however without frost would the pitch have been unplayable or just shite? I agree the club are doing their best not to rock the boat regarding Stadium deal.

I saw the pitch the other morning and it was unplayable, the sand had just been delivered and the area from the half way line to the sandy was destroyed. It bore no resemblance to the pitch we saw on Saturday evening as wee left the ground...
[Post edited 16 Jan 2016 11:45]

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Login to get fewer ads

Pitch Covers. on 11:52 - Jan 16 with 2679 viewsdingdangblue

Pitch Covers. on 11:45 - Jan 16 by MoonyDale

I saw the pitch the other morning and it was unplayable, the sand had just been delivered and the area from the half way line to the sandy was destroyed. It bore no resemblance to the pitch we saw on Saturday evening as wee left the ground...

It cant be unplayable - it may be ruined but other than it being frozen it has to be played on even if its wrecked. Blackpool played on this.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Pitch Covers. on 11:53 - Jan 16 with 2669 views1mark1

Pitch Covers. on 11:45 - Jan 16 by MoonyDale

But by then surely the covers should have been on. Someone on Twitter suggests covers only went on yesterday, if that's correct, then that's appalling and indeed negligent, UNLESS there's a good reason. If the pitch was frozen then yes the match gets postponed, but it should never have been frozen, therefore the decision would then be for the ref to say its "unplayable ". Accrington, Bury and many others have pitches or had pitches that look awful, muddy, etc, however a game of football is allowed to be played.

Pitch Covers. on 11:58 - Jan 16 with 2634 viewsfitzochris

Pitch Covers. on 11:35 - Jan 16 by 442Dale

Link please?

It's actually the groundsman before last, but he says:

Pitch Covers. on 12:01 - Jan 16 with 2615 viewsfitzochris

Pitch Covers. on 12:02 - Jan 16 with 2606 views442Dale

Pitch Covers. on 11:58 - Jan 16 by fitzochris

It's actually the groundsman before last, but he says:

Cheers for that.

Interesting bit about the soil temperatures before a frost. Makes sense and if the covers were used before the frost on Tuesday night it would have helped maintain the soil temperature before the frost on subsequent nights.

Pitch Covers. on 12:03 - Jan 16 with 2595 viewsdingdangblue

Its been mentioned that covers went down at 3.30 yesterday afternoon - if thats the only time they've been used then thats why its off.

Pitch Covers. on 12:04 - Jan 16 with 2579 views442Dale

Pitch Covers. on 12:03 - Jan 16 by dingdangblue

Its been mentioned that covers went down at 3.30 yesterday afternoon - if thats the only time they've been used then thats why its off.

But presumably they were used the previous two nights to avoid frost getting into the pitch, then removed during the daytime?

Pitch Covers. on 12:05 - Jan 16 with 2415 viewsfitzochris

Pitch Covers. on 12:04 - Jan 16 by 442Dale

But presumably they were used the previous two nights to avoid frost getting into the pitch, then removed during the daytime?

You would hope.

If not, and with Phil's explanation, then, yes, I think we could say that is the reason the game is off.

Pitch Covers. on 12:07 - Jan 16 with 2400 viewsdawlishdale

Glad I didn't travel. I more or less decided it would be off when the inspection was announced yesterday.

My Dad lives within a couple of miles of the ground, and he took a look at it yesterday. Having not seen the pitch since last Saturday, this is what he told me on the phone just now.

The Sandy Lane end of the ground is in very poor condition, and this is not a postponement merely due to the frost of last couple of nights....we have much bigger issues . It appears that the drains have not been able to cope with the heavy rain of the last month coupled with playing two games last weekend.

My dad reckons the pitch will need re laying again at great cost, as he says there is a problem with the drains at the Sandy Lane end. He says it's nothing to do with the covers, but more because of the rainwater which isn't draining through. He also reckons that too much sand has been used in a desperate attempt to rectify the problem, and that we will all have a shock when we next see the pitch.

He does have experience of football pitch technology, and has called things correctly before. Oh and he has a weather station in his garden...last night went down to -5.4C and it was still -2.3C at 9.45am.
Pitch Covers. on 12:09 - Jan 16 with 2376 viewsRosun

Anyone else see the irony here given our Chairman's core business?
We should have played the match in a church.
Pitch Covers. on 12:09 - Jan 16 with 2370 viewsrobbowood

Pitch Covers. on 12:05 - Jan 16 by fitzochris

You would hope.

If not, and with Phil's explanation, then, yes, I think we could say that is the reason the game is off.

and the 'grass coverage' would surely be nothing like it was at 5.00pm last Saturday after the football compared to 5.00pm last Sunday after the rugby

I don't hold out much hope for seeing grass on large areas of the pitch for the rest of the season (unless of a 'sandy' colour)
Pitch Covers. on 12:11 - Jan 16 with 2353 viewsdingdangblue

Pitch Covers. on 12:04 - Jan 16 by 442Dale

I imagine its a big job to cover and uncover each day - if they are just left on the pitch for 3-4 days I think that will damage the grass in other ways. I think they were just used yesterday. Certainly Mooneydale said they weren't on Wednesday because they had been laying sand. It froze Tuesday night.

Pitch Covers. on 12:11 - Jan 16 with 2347 views442Dale

Pitch Covers. on 12:09 - Jan 16 by Rosun

Anyone else see the irony here given our Chairman's core business?
We should have played the match in a church.

Indeed! And as you've been good enough to confirm in the past, could this be confirmed:

<<It's right that the Trust follow this up with a full investigation as to the suitability of the covers their members helped purchase.

There could be very valid reasons why they were unable to protect the pitch from the temperatures over recent days, but members and supporters deserve to know exactly what these are. If it requires a full breakdown of what the temperature were at Spotland at various times, so be it, but we expect to see full details.

And yes, if this has to be sent to the Trust it will, though I'd prefer it to be acknowledged on here if possible - as has worked well recently when upcoming meetings were confirmed. Cheers. >>

Pitch Covers. on 12:16 - Jan 16 with 2288 views442Dale

Pitch Covers. on 12:11 - Jan 16 by dingdangblue

I imagine its a big job to cover and uncover each day - if they are just left on the pitch for 3-4 days I think that will damage the grass in other ways. I think they were just used yesterday. Certainly Mooneydale said they weren't on Wednesday because they had been laying sand. It froze Tuesday night.

It is indeed. And as has been pointed out there is always a good response to calls from the club to help with the removal/putting down of covers.

Fans would have helped if asked.

Pitch Covers. on 12:21 - Jan 16 with 2251 views442Dale

Please note Hill's comments on the pitch AFTER last week's game:

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/keith-hills-post-match-reaction-cheste
[Post edited 16 Jan 2016 12:22]

Pitch Covers. on 13:09 - Jan 16 with 2983 viewsrobbowood

Cannot argue with any of this

Hopefully the Trust will ask the Chairman to give us his comments as we surely cannot go on like this for any longer with the rugby club
Pitch Covers. on 13:31 - Jan 16 with 2888 viewsolympicdale

Pitch Covers. on 11:22 - Jan 16 by Yorkshire_Dale

.......just like the Fixture Board on Sandy Lane?

Aye, but it should be a cracking game against Chesterfield.

Life is a game of fate.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024