Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? 08:50 - Jan 10 with 13024 viewsPhil_S

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 20:29 - Jan 12 with 2161 viewsMagic_Michu

How people can ever mention Trundle in talks over our greatest striker I have no idea?!

He was excellent in what he did for us... his skill and showboating put us in the public eye.

But as an all round footballer he wasn't very good.

I loved his skill and tricks but his lack of a football brain annoyed the hell out of me sometimes.... maybe the fame got to his head a little. He'd often try a fancy bit of skill or showboat when there was an easy ball on to put someone in a good position.

I did love him though.... but greatest striker. ha ha!

Twitter: @swanseadan
Poll: Will the Woods deal happen?

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 10:34 - Jan 13 with 2038 viewsNOTRAC

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 20:29 - Jan 12 by Magic_Michu

How people can ever mention Trundle in talks over our greatest striker I have no idea?!

He was excellent in what he did for us... his skill and showboating put us in the public eye.

But as an all round footballer he wasn't very good.

I loved his skill and tricks but his lack of a football brain annoyed the hell out of me sometimes.... maybe the fame got to his head a little. He'd often try a fancy bit of skill or showboat when there was an easy ball on to put someone in a good position.

I did love him though.... but greatest striker. ha ha!

This is so unfare.
Trundle,s statistics show that he can hold his own with any Swansea striker.
78 League goals in 146 matches betwee seasons 2003-2007.They were equally scored in league 2 and league 1 between those years.
Not only was he instrumental in our rise to our present heights, but he was probably one of the best entertainers to have ever played fpr Swansea.
To suggest that he wasn't a striker is ridiculous.He scored a hatrick of hatricks on one occasion, only the third person in the history of Swansea to do so.
Over the years Swansea have had some great goalscorers, and Trundles name deserves to be up there with the best of them.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 11:01 - Jan 13 with 2032 viewsCatullus

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 10:34 - Jan 13 by NOTRAC

This is so unfare.
Trundle,s statistics show that he can hold his own with any Swansea striker.
78 League goals in 146 matches betwee seasons 2003-2007.They were equally scored in league 2 and league 1 between those years.
Not only was he instrumental in our rise to our present heights, but he was probably one of the best entertainers to have ever played fpr Swansea.
To suggest that he wasn't a striker is ridiculous.He scored a hatrick of hatricks on one occasion, only the third person in the history of Swansea to do so.
Over the years Swansea have had some great goalscorers, and Trundles name deserves to be up there with the best of them.

Trunds was fanatastic for us and no argument, but a few things,

When did he score a hat trick of hat tricks?...that's 9 goals, I don't remember that!! I am getting old now mind, and my memory is awful.
All his tricks and goals etc, came in lower league football. Great for us, but to be up there with the very best, you have to do it at the best level. I don't believe Trundle would have done anything near the like if we'd been top flight with him. In fact, we wouldn't have bought him if we'd been top flight back then.
Yes, Trundle was an entertainer, and he was a striker. To say different isn't right. Trunds name is up there, but he will never be considered as the best purely because it was lower league football.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 11:20 - Jan 13 with 2027 viewsCatullus

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 19:33 - Jan 10 by Rancid

Messi, Maradona, Robben, Bale were and are 'one legged', as well.

Seriously, though, I think a prime Lee Trundle was a better striker than Bob Latchford at the Swans and just like Leon, Monk, Ash, Rangel, Tate, would have stepped up to the Premier League (with us) and held his own and succeeded.Trundle in the 70's and 80's would have been like a member of my first sentence.

I saw Latchford play for us and he was great and a real coup at the time but Trundle gave us all hope and just at the right time and seeing him parading his stuff down the Vetch when we'd had years of misery was so special.He put us back on the football map in this country and for a long time.Latch had played for England 2 years before joining us and was 30 arriving and despite scoring regularly for us a good few of his goals were at division 2 (at the time) and then division 3 when we were on the slide.I loved Latch but not in a Robbie James, Alan Curtis, Trundle......you know the rest, kinda way.

Bony is out there by a country mile as our best ever in my eyes.

You need to check the history books. Latchford scored most of his goals in the top flight and left in 1984.
He scored 20 goals in our relegation from old Div one. No way were a "fair few" of his goals scored in lower league!
In fact he scored 32 in the 1st div and 3 in the second and never played for us in the 3rd.
Adding to this, Trunds was in his prime here, but Bob was 30 and on the way down, so to speak, Latchford was evidently a better striker.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 13:28 - Jan 13 with 2001 viewsNeath_Jack

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 11:01 - Jan 13 by Catullus

Trunds was fanatastic for us and no argument, but a few things,

When did he score a hat trick of hat tricks?...that's 9 goals, I don't remember that!! I am getting old now mind, and my memory is awful.
All his tricks and goals etc, came in lower league football. Great for us, but to be up there with the very best, you have to do it at the best level. I don't believe Trundle would have done anything near the like if we'd been top flight with him. In fact, we wouldn't have bought him if we'd been top flight back then.
Yes, Trundle was an entertainer, and he was a striker. To say different isn't right. Trunds name is up there, but he will never be considered as the best purely because it was lower league football.

By your definition then, Danny G, Luke Moore, Lita, can be classed up there with our greatest then, after all, they scored goals for us at the highest level.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 16:47 - Jan 13 with 1982 viewsNOTRAC

When you talk about goal scorers ,what about Jack Fowler who played for Swansea from 1924 to 1930.
Between those years he scored 102 goals in 167 games helping Swansea to gain promotion in the football league for the first time in his first season when he scored 28 goals.
He scored 5 against Charlton on the 27th September 1924 ,which still remains the club record.
During those years he scored nine hat tricks.
The crowds absolutely loved him and would sing to the popular song of 'chick chick chick chick chicken, lay a little egg for me' the words 'fowl fowl fowl fowl fowler score a little goal for me.
He rarely disappointed them!

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 19:28 - Jan 13 with 1952 viewsStarsky

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 16:47 - Jan 13 by NOTRAC

When you talk about goal scorers ,what about Jack Fowler who played for Swansea from 1924 to 1930.
Between those years he scored 102 goals in 167 games helping Swansea to gain promotion in the football league for the first time in his first season when he scored 28 goals.
He scored 5 against Charlton on the 27th September 1924 ,which still remains the club record.
The crowds absolutely loved him and would sing to the popular song of 'chick chick chick chick chicken, lay a little egg for me' the words 'fowl fowl fowl fowl fowler score a little goal for me.

It was a different game back then though.
We'll have to ask Lifey what he was like.

It's just the internet, init.

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 20:18 - Jan 13 with 1934 viewsjackonicko

Its already been said that we need a replacement for the 'Come on Wilfried Bony...' song.

Go Go Go Go Gomis. Score a little goal for me.

You heard it here, last.
Login to get fewer ads

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 04:36 - Jan 14 with 1849 viewsbudegan

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 09:39 - Jan 11 by Townhill_Hilton

The greatest ever Swansea striker greets you outside every game. A certain Ivor Allchurch.with 166 goals (and yes I saw him play).
Don't think Bony will ever have a statue to mark his "greatness".
Best premier league striker, though, easily.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2015 9:49]

No for these reasons.
Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 08:42 - Jan 14 with 1822 viewsLord_Bony

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 16:47 - Jan 13 by NOTRAC

I ve always wondered how the team and fans travelled around the country in that period of the twenties and earlier.

Probably mainly through the new rail system and steam engines....

Must have been a great atmosphere...

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 09:30 - Jan 14 with 1796 viewsNOTRAC

Railways were developed in this country in the 1860s,and within a short period it was possible to go almost anywhere in the country by train,often even to the most isolated villages.
Players and supporters in the 1920s would have travelled by train to away matches ,but away support would have been minimal compared to what it is today.
Only the better seating areas would have been by ticket entry.The terraces would have beenFirst come first served, and queues would form hours before kick off.
The Vetch in those days could hold almost 30,000 so it would have been extremely rare for the ground to be closed as full.
Singing normally took place before the game started accompanied by a military or brass band.
Swansea were rare in that usually not a great deal of chanting or singing took place during the match itself,the 'Fowler, score a little goal for me' being a prime example.
Swansea is also credited with being the first ground where supporters adopted the tune 'I'm for ever blowing bubbles'.
This was heard by West Ham fans during a cup game, and taken back by them as their theme song,which of course it is to this day.

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 09:57 - Jan 15 with 1624 viewsCatullus

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 13:28 - Jan 13 by Neath_Jack

By your definition then, Danny G, Luke Moore, Lita, can be classed up there with our greatest then, after all, they scored goals for us at the highest level.

Ummm, no. Did they perform anywhere near as well as Bony, Latchford, Curt, Robbie James etc?
To be a great has specific requirements and I don't think they can be argued. That is, to perform at a consistently high level at the highest level the club achieves.
Trundle was a great player for us, in lower league football. Great at the time, but not one of the greatest ever.
Graham, Moore and Lita aren't fit to lace Bony or Latchfords boots. Graham was reasonable in his first Premier season but couldn't keep it going. Bony had a great record before coming here and I'm sure will carry it on. Latchford had a superb record for Everton and did very well for us too, as well as playing for England.

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 17:28 - Jan 15 with 1569 viewsNeath_Jack

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 09:57 - Jan 15 by Catullus

Ummm, no. Did they perform anywhere near as well as Bony, Latchford, Curt, Robbie James etc?
To be a great has specific requirements and I don't think they can be argued. That is, to perform at a consistently high level at the highest level the club achieves.
Trundle was a great player for us, in lower league football. Great at the time, but not one of the greatest ever.
Graham, Moore and Lita aren't fit to lace Bony or Latchfords boots. Graham was reasonable in his first Premier season but couldn't keep it going. Bony had a great record before coming here and I'm sure will carry it on. Latchford had a superb record for Everton and did very well for us too, as well as playing for England.

It's all subjective clap trap.

Unless of course, someone comes up with a defined criteria, such as:

Had to have played in the Premier League (Old division 1 not included).
Has to have scored more than x amount of goals.
Has to have been with us for x amount of years.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 12:24 - Jan 16 with 1438 viewsCatullus

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 17:28 - Jan 15 by Neath_Jack

It's all subjective clap trap.

Unless of course, someone comes up with a defined criteria, such as:

Had to have played in the Premier League (Old division 1 not included).
Has to have scored more than x amount of goals.
Has to have been with us for x amount of years.

Why is old Div 1 not included? A lot of great players played pre-Premier league. You can't just wipe them out because the name of the competition changed.
Of course if you're only doing it because it helps your argument, then I understand. But still, you can't.
And being a great player is more about the level of performance than length of service or number of goals scored.
For example, if we made ten clear chances per match (for a striker) and that striker scored once every two games. But we had a second striker who had 2 chances every three games and scored once in three, who is better? I would say the latter.
And we could have a player here for a long while (such as Jazz Richards) who doesn't do very much, or a player here for two seasons who is incredible for us.

Where I do agree is it's all subjective. It's all about opinions. But most (I think) would agree that the greatest players are those who have performed to high standards at the highest level.
Therefore, you cannot write Latchford, Curtis, I Allchurch et al off the record purely because of a name change. Old Division 1 or Premier league, it's the top league of English football.
To me, whether it's Latchford or Bony, they are both better than Trundle because they did it in the top flight and he didn't.

Personally, I choose Bony.

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 23:25 - Jan 16 with 1364 viewsTNT

Alan Curtis was in the Swans team when I started to watch us back in '76. He was one of the reasons, as a 14 year old, that I wanted to keep going back. He was a stylish player, and a quite prolific goalscorer.

He was a big player in our promotion from the lower leagues, and the best forward that I watched in the top flight (Ante being the best defender) in our first season there.

Just feel the guy deserves some recognition.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 12:19 - Jan 17 with 1325 viewsCatullus

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 23:25 - Jan 16 by TNT

Alan Curtis was in the Swans team when I started to watch us back in '76. He was one of the reasons, as a 14 year old, that I wanted to keep going back. He was a stylish player, and a quite prolific goalscorer.

He was a big player in our promotion from the lower leagues, and the best forward that I watched in the top flight (Ante being the best defender) in our first season there.

Just feel the guy deserves some recognition.

Curt was a fantastic player and is a wonderful person. He was/ is one of our greatest ever players. He wasn't a striker though, or he would be up there too.

Curt is probably one of our most revered former players! I love him. I grew up watching him too, I was 9 in 76.

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 22:29 - Jan 17 with 1310 viewsTNT

Would you class Wilfried Bony as our greatest ever striker? on 12:19 - Jan 17 by Catullus

Curt was a fantastic player and is a wonderful person. He was/ is one of our greatest ever players. He wasn't a striker though, or he would be up there too.

Curt is probably one of our most revered former players! I love him. I grew up watching him too, I was 9 in 76.

That's why I called him a forward.

Listen to your elders mun!

Great times Catullus.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024