Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh Tourism 10:58 - Jul 17 with 47235 viewsDr_Winston

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jul/16/huge-market-untapped-lack-of-vis

Already on its knees in recent years thanks to the Welsh Govts unnecessarily heavy Covid restrictions, refusal to deal with M4 congestion and seeming intention to actually make getting around in Wales even harder. To top that off we've still got the mooted tourist tax to come.

Is there anything in this country that they can't screw up?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Welsh Tourism on 18:04 - Jul 29 with 1444 viewscontroversial_jack

Welsh Tourism on 14:34 - Jul 28 by Whiterockin

Just imagine a 67 year old PE teacher.

The 6 week break during summer time would give them chance to recharge
Welsh Tourism on 18:44 - Jul 29 with 1418 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh Tourism on 18:04 - Jul 29 by controversial_jack

Wait til you get to 67 and see how you feel.
Welsh Tourism on 18:47 - Jul 29 with 1412 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh Tourism on 17:52 - Jul 29 by SullutaCreturned

It's not a policy I disagree with. I'd go further, I'd make all lanlords pay council tax on their properties that get rented out to students. But to keep costs for students down there would need to be rules around rental tariffs, a profit margin would need to be set and closely monitored.

I've seen student accomodation in Swansea that is terrible yet still expensive.

That may be a terrible idea, others on here can point out any problems but I have seen streets in Brynmill ruined by HMO's with rubbish strewed all over and permanent residents having to bear the cost. Some landlords have gotten rich renting out virtual slums and ignore the problems their renters impose on the neighbourhood.

Yes good point.

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh Tourism on 22:25 - Jul 29 with 1379 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh Tourism on 18:44 - Jul 29 by SullutaCreturned

Wait til you get to 67 and see how you feel.

Indeed, we’re haemorrhaging people from the teaching profession as it is, there’ll be none left the way it’s going.
Welsh Tourism on 23:18 - Jul 29 with 1350 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh Tourism on 15:51 - Jul 29 by Kilkennyjack

So the English are now anti-English …. ?

Felix ?

See …. its not anti-English after all … its just common sense.

Is Drakers a visionary and leading the way for Westminster to follow?

On a serious note, earlier today I was reading an article in one of the national newspapers on this very subject. It seems the Conservatives hold all 6 of the parliamentary seats in Cornwall and the locals are kicking off about the lack of affordable housing and local people being priced off the market. The Conservatives are concerned because this is becoming a bigger and bigger issue and there’s a GE around the corner - second home owners won’t be eligible to vote in the constituencies where their holiday homes are, but the locals who’ve been priced off the market and their relatives are eligible to vote!!! Michael Gove and others have now cottoned on to this hence the changes. I’d imagine the situation in Gwynedd and other parts of Wales is similar to the situation in Cornwall.

Second home owners can potentially get round the additional payments by switching the status of their property to a holiday let which I why I suspect Drakers has introduced the 183 day rule in Wales.

Personally, I’m not sure doubling the second home tax will have much impact because people who can afford two or three of hundred thousand pounds or more for a house are unlikely to be bothered by an extra couple of grand in council tax. The main issue is the population of the U.K. is increasing and we aren’t building enough homes. We need to reduce migration and increase house building, but there needs to be a political will for that to happen and it’s not there.

Edit- correct typo
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 20:40]
Welsh Tourism on 12:01 - Jul 30 with 1279 viewsSullutaCreturned

You know what, Major, you're right again. In my opinion anyway.

The only thing there is the political will for in the UK anymore is to grab what they can while they can and fob off the hoi polloi with gobbledegook and excuses.

I wonder what the PM will say, or has he said, about the HS2 news,

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-07-29/hs2-rated-unachievable-by-major-projects-bod

No doubt the political will is there to keep chucking more and mre money at this while many of us don't see the need to spend so much taking 30 minutes off journey times when everyone can use the internet these days.
Maybe the high end managers don't want to give up their expense account jollies?

And as Kilky points out, Wales is paying a share of this for no gain to Wales. it's this Tory government yet again, they are making a massive cock up and throwing ever more money at something not needed or wanted.

immigartion is always a sore subject, we left the EU to partly "take back control" but what have the rories done, they oened the flood gates bt then put a stopper in the system that sees an increasing amount of immigarnst stuck in limbo with the wait times for cases to be sorted growing alost as fast as NHS waiting lists.

It's incomoetent, it's negligent and these tores really need to call a GE but these turkeys will never vote for Christmas.
Welsh Tourism on 14:25 - Jul 30 with 1239 viewsGwyn737

Welsh Tourism on 18:04 - Jul 29 by controversial_jack

They’ll still be 67 after the holiday!

Still, Felix thinks they’ll have retired in full pension at 52.
Welsh Tourism on 18:00 - Jul 30 with 1198 viewsjohnlangy

Welsh Tourism on 12:01 - Jul 30 by SullutaCreturned

You know what, Major, you're right again. In my opinion anyway.

The only thing there is the political will for in the UK anymore is to grab what they can while they can and fob off the hoi polloi with gobbledegook and excuses.

I wonder what the PM will say, or has he said, about the HS2 news,

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-07-29/hs2-rated-unachievable-by-major-projects-bod

No doubt the political will is there to keep chucking more and mre money at this while many of us don't see the need to spend so much taking 30 minutes off journey times when everyone can use the internet these days.
Maybe the high end managers don't want to give up their expense account jollies?

And as Kilky points out, Wales is paying a share of this for no gain to Wales. it's this Tory government yet again, they are making a massive cock up and throwing ever more money at something not needed or wanted.

immigartion is always a sore subject, we left the EU to partly "take back control" but what have the rories done, they oened the flood gates bt then put a stopper in the system that sees an increasing amount of immigarnst stuck in limbo with the wait times for cases to be sorted growing alost as fast as NHS waiting lists.

It's incomoetent, it's negligent and these tores really need to call a GE but these turkeys will never vote for Christmas.

After the theft of 5 billion from Wales for the HS2 con they've also now decided that Northern Powerhouse Rail, which will be built to link Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Bradford and York, is also been deemed to be an England and Wales project.

So that is going to cost Wales another 1 billion.
Login to get fewer ads

Welsh Tourism on 18:54 - Jul 30 with 1186 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh Tourism on 18:00 - Jul 30 by johnlangy

After the theft of 5 billion from Wales for the HS2 con they've also now decided that Northern Powerhouse Rail, which will be built to link Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Bradford and York, is also been deemed to be an England and Wales project.

So that is going to cost Wales another 1 billion.

Thieving gits.

NB, I just re-read that post, talk about "incomoetent"
Welsh Tourism on 09:39 - Jul 31 with 1109 viewsjohnlangy

Welsh Tourism on 18:54 - Jul 30 by SullutaCreturned

Thieving gits.

NB, I just re-read that post, talk about "incomoetent"

I'll forgive you that one but calling them rories just makes them seem almost likeable. I can't stomach that
Welsh Tourism on 08:45 - Aug 6 with 981 viewsfelixstowe_jack

International Passenger survey data released by the Welsh Government showed 33% fewer overseas visitors to Wales in 2022.

Looks like the anti tourist policies by the Welsh government are having an effect no doubt further drops will happen once the tourist tax is introduced.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Welsh Tourism on 09:10 - Aug 6 with 966 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh Tourism on 08:45 - Aug 6 by felixstowe_jack

International Passenger survey data released by the Welsh Government showed 33% fewer overseas visitors to Wales in 2022.

Looks like the anti tourist policies by the Welsh government are having an effect no doubt further drops will happen once the tourist tax is introduced.

If your Tory mate Liz Truss had not wasted £30 billion in her idiotic budget then wales might have the additional funding it obviously needs. Tourism is just one aspect.

Lets start with the HS2 money that has been denied wales but given to both Scotland and the north of Ireland. Lets call it the £5 billion that was robbed from us.
And now another £1 billion denied by the same slight of hand for the Northern Powerhouse Rail investment. Again erroneously deemed an England and Wales project.

Meanwhile …..UK Export Finance (UKEF), the UK government's export credit agency, has underwritten €781m of financing – equivalent to £680m – to support construction of a 286km high-speed electric railway in southern Turkey.

Annibyniaeth.
Wales can do far better without Westminster. End London Rule.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2023 9:11]

Welsh Tourism on 09:54 - Aug 6 with 929 viewsWhiterockin

It will be interesting to know the percentage drop in non Welsh British tourists. The majority of holiday makers I have spoken to in West Wales are Welsh and the numbers are definitely down. I have had four breaks down west this year and as I have said previously the eateries and pubs are quieter than usual, one restaurant I go too you normally need to book over a week in advance, now you can book on the day.
Welsh Tourism on 10:01 - Aug 6 with 926 viewsmajorraglan

Are you using the information in survey that’s comparing passenger numbers in 2022 with the numbers in 2019 which was the last year not impacted by pre-pandemic figures? Inbound tourism gor the whole UK was ravaged during 2022 if you compare it to 2019. If you want to compare it to 2021, tourism actually increased.

Wales needs to do better, but it’s not simply a case of wales failing while he whole of the uk is increasing tourist numbers.
Welsh Tourism on 10:36 - Aug 6 with 917 viewsonehunglow

Welsh Tourism on 09:54 - Aug 6 by Whiterockin

It will be interesting to know the percentage drop in non Welsh British tourists. The majority of holiday makers I have spoken to in West Wales are Welsh and the numbers are definitely down. I have had four breaks down west this year and as I have said previously the eateries and pubs are quieter than usual, one restaurant I go too you normally need to book over a week in advance, now you can book on the day.

Arguably Wales biggest problem is the shyte weather .
I’ve been looking at another break and I discount Wales as no fun trudging around in the wet.
Sadly,the south and east are way better weather wise .

Wales has to overcome this and it does in many respects in fairness

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh Tourism on 14:17 - Aug 6 with 885 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66417213

Visitors down 33 percent!!

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Welsh Tourism on 14:21 - Aug 6 with 883 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Welsh Tourism on 23:18 - Jul 29 by majorraglan

Is Drakers a visionary and leading the way for Westminster to follow?

On a serious note, earlier today I was reading an article in one of the national newspapers on this very subject. It seems the Conservatives hold all 6 of the parliamentary seats in Cornwall and the locals are kicking off about the lack of affordable housing and local people being priced off the market. The Conservatives are concerned because this is becoming a bigger and bigger issue and there’s a GE around the corner - second home owners won’t be eligible to vote in the constituencies where their holiday homes are, but the locals who’ve been priced off the market and their relatives are eligible to vote!!! Michael Gove and others have now cottoned on to this hence the changes. I’d imagine the situation in Gwynedd and other parts of Wales is similar to the situation in Cornwall.

Second home owners can potentially get round the additional payments by switching the status of their property to a holiday let which I why I suspect Drakers has introduced the 183 day rule in Wales.

Personally, I’m not sure doubling the second home tax will have much impact because people who can afford two or three of hundred thousand pounds or more for a house are unlikely to be bothered by an extra couple of grand in council tax. The main issue is the population of the U.K. is increasing and we aren’t building enough homes. We need to reduce migration and increase house building, but there needs to be a political will for that to happen and it’s not there.

Edit- correct typo
[Post edited 30 Jul 2023 20:40]

I think anyone who thinks taxing second home owners is going to solve the affordable housing shortfall is rather gullible. These are and always will be separate markets, but the second home issue is a convenient diversion for those failing to address the affordable housing issue.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Welsh Tourism on 14:53 - Aug 6 with 865 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh Tourism on 10:36 - Aug 6 by onehunglow

Arguably Wales biggest problem is the shyte weather .
I’ve been looking at another break and I discount Wales as no fun trudging around in the wet.
Sadly,the south and east are way better weather wise .

Wales has to overcome this and it does in many respects in fairness

Sadly global warming will fix this.

Welsh Tourism on 16:08 - Aug 6 with 830 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh Tourism on 14:17 - Aug 6 by JACKMANANDBOY

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66417213

Visitors down 33 percent!!

Since 2019 we’ve had the pandemic, increase in oil prices, Ukraine war, Brexit and now there’s a bit of a recession taking place in many of the countries we’d attract tourists from. On top of that, the data is comparing the figures to 2019 which was before we had any of the above.

In London, some of the big companies have been complaining about the changes to duty free shopping which is seeing the wealthy head to Milan and Paris to buy their designer shopping.
Welsh Tourism on 18:11 - Aug 6 with 807 viewsTogg

Welsh Tourism on 14:53 - Aug 6 by Kilkennyjack

Sadly global warming will fix this.

Ahhhh... did you see July. 🌧️☔. .I always promote Wales and a mate of mine came don to Mumbles and Gower for the first time and loved it.. I like a weekend in the UK but give me the Med Everytime for an extended break.
Welsh Tourism on 18:15 - Aug 6 with 805 viewsTogg

Welsh Tourism on 14:21 - Aug 6 by JACKMANANDBOY

I think anyone who thinks taxing second home owners is going to solve the affordable housing shortfall is rather gullible. These are and always will be separate markets, but the second home issue is a convenient diversion for those failing to address the affordable housing issue.

Totally agree. Would love to move my house to Abersoch, coin the difference and move back home. Taxing holiday homes is not going to make local property cheaper. In the long run bricks and mortar will only go one way, with the odd hitch now and then.
Welsh Tourism on 19:40 - Aug 6 with 755 viewsonehunglow

Welsh Tourism on 18:15 - Aug 6 by Togg

Totally agree. Would love to move my house to Abersoch, coin the difference and move back home. Taxing holiday homes is not going to make local property cheaper. In the long run bricks and mortar will only go one way, with the odd hitch now and then.

Abersich to me is horrendous.
Have a chum who bought a house nearby purely for mooring his boat .
Manchester on sea

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh Tourism on 20:09 - Aug 6 with 736 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh Tourism on 18:11 - Aug 6 by Togg

Ahhhh... did you see July. 🌧️☔. .I always promote Wales and a mate of mine came don to Mumbles and Gower for the first time and loved it.. I like a weekend in the UK but give me the Med Everytime for an extended break.

Which is why when I had a caravan I’d nearly always head to the east coast or south coast of England for our main holiday if we weren’t going abroad. The drier weather tended to be in the east and after 49 weeks of mixed weather it’s nice to get away for a few weeks of dry weather. Cornwall has the same problem as we do.
Welsh Tourism on 20:13 - Aug 6 with 734 viewsbuilthjack

There seems to be an awful lot of Belgian and Dutch visitors here lately.
An awful lot.
They must like it here.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Welsh Tourism on 21:36 - Aug 6 with 697 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh Tourism on 20:13 - Aug 6 by builthjack

There seems to be an awful lot of Belgian and Dutch visitors here lately.
An awful lot.
They must like it here.

An awful lot? What's that ir real numbers...10, 15...50?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024