Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cover versions better than the originals 20:36 - May 1 with 20814 viewsDr_Winston

I'll start you off with a couple.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Cover versions better than the originals on 15:51 - May 4 with 1245 viewsdna

Cover versions better than the originals on 15:51 - May 4 with 1245 viewsWarwickHunt

Cover versions better than the originals on 15:26 - May 4 by Lohengrin

”... has a sense of regret, loss and sadness.

Your comment there has just held open a door to what I think is one of the best cover versions I’ve ever heard. This is simply flawless and coveys everything I think Hank Williams must have been feeling when he wrote it.

Perfection.

You do know this bloke is a complete imposter?
Had his own studio in California and fronted a jazz fusion band.

“I’s only got four strings on mah geetar cos I cain’t afford no more”

Seasick Steve my fûcking arse. Hate him with a passion.
Cover versions better than the originals on 15:51 - May 4 with 1245 viewsJinxy

Cover versions better than the originals on 15:01 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

I love her music, and The Bodyguard is a film I can watch over and over!

But for me, the song as done by Dolly, has a sense of regret, loss and sadness that Whitney doesn’t get near. I’m sure Dolly doesn’t mind anyone preferring Whitney - she said it paid for her new house,

Not seen the Carole King musical although I’ve a friend who played in the band for it in the London run for a bit.

I’m with your mate on the ABBA / Beatles contest btw...

Yep, the recent documentary was sad, but what a singer. Surrounded by parasites I thought - many are in that position I suppose. The power/control thingy - not sure if its because I used to play a bit, but aspects of some songs stand out for me - like the drums/bass on Smoke on the water. The CK production in Cardiff was v good, not sure if your friend played. Abba/Beatles - a good pub (remember them) debate that one. Still Beatles for me.
Cover versions better than the originals on 15:55 - May 4 with 1233 viewslondonlisa2001

Your comment there has just held open a door to what I think is one of the best cover versions I’ve ever heard. This is simply flawless and coveys everything I think Hank Williams must have been feeling when he wrote it.

Perfection.

Yes, I like Seasick Steve.

Although I did find it funny when they revealed that rather than being some down and out (as he’d claimed) he was in a succession of disco bands back in the 70s and had been a music producer for ages and it was all an act.
Cover versions better than the originals on 15:56 - May 4 with 1228 viewslondonlisa2001

Cover versions better than the originals on 15:51 - May 4 by WarwickHunt

Bollox. I’d posted about that before I saw this!

I quite like him though despite that. I’d always enjoyed him on with Jools,
Cover versions better than the originals on 16:00 - May 4 with 1221 viewslondonlisa2001

Cover versions better than the originals on 15:51 - May 4 by Jinxy

Yep, the recent documentary was sad, but what a singer. Surrounded by parasites I thought - many are in that position I suppose. The power/control thingy - not sure if its because I used to play a bit, but aspects of some songs stand out for me - like the drums/bass on Smoke on the water. The CK production in Cardiff was v good, not sure if your friend played. Abba/Beatles - a good pub (remember them) debate that one. Still Beatles for me.

No, he played in the band when it was on in the Aldwych for a bit. He was only subbing on and off, he normally plays in the band in Wicked.
Cover versions better than the originals on 16:02 - May 4 with 1217 viewsWarwickHunt

Cover versions better than the originals on 15:56 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

Bollox. I’d posted about that before I saw this!

I quite like him though despite that. I’d always enjoyed him on with Jools,

I’d like to take a garden spade to the annoying bastard. Hate him more than I do Bono (which takes some doing).

Other opinions are available. But wrong.
Cover versions better than the originals on 16:04 - May 4 with 1214 viewsDr_Winston

Cover versions better than the originals on 16:02 - May 4 by WarwickHunt

I’d like to take a garden spade to the annoying bastard. Hate him more than I do Bono (which takes some doing).

I was going to post that someone on here loathed him with a passion but couldn't remember if it was you or not.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Cover versions better than the originals on 16:05 - May 4 with 1212 viewsWarwickHunt

Perfection.

It’s over, mate. You’re dead to me now.
Cover versions better than the originals on 16:06 - May 4 with 1207 viewsWarwickHunt

Cover versions better than the originals on 16:04 - May 4 by Dr_Winston

I was going to post that someone on here loathed him with a passion but couldn't remember if it was you or not.

Could have been...
Cover versions better than the originals on 16:07 - May 4 with 1204 viewslondonlisa2001

Cover versions better than the originals on 16:02 - May 4 by WarwickHunt

I’m with you on Bono.

Do you know Seasick Steve or are you hating him through the medium of the tele? It’s impressive to hate someone that much from a few appearances on Jools’ Hootenanny
Cover versions better than the originals on 16:14 - May 4 with 1193 viewskarnataka

I always think a cover should be a different take on the original rather than something 'similar' otherwise what's the point?
This is about as different as could be and for me is a beautiful beautiful take on a classic.

And the lead singer is a friend of my sister's but that's not relevant.

[I don't know why there's a Man City logo in the top left as they're from Gateshead so should be a Toon logo if anything]

Cover versions better than the originals on 16:15 - May 4 with 1190 viewsmonmouth

Cover versions better than the originals on 15:51 - May 4 by dna

Mary Black's is better. But Sting's still carries it for me.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Cover versions better than the originals on 16:38 - May 4 with 1163 viewsLohengrin

It’s all an act, I get that, but that song is seminal in the Country canon as you know. Can you honestly say you’ve heard it done better?
[Post edited 4 May 2020 16:39]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Cover versions better than the originals on 16:41 - May 4 with 1160 viewsLohengrin

Cover versions better than the originals on 16:05 - May 4 by WarwickHunt

It’s over, mate. You’re dead to me now.

You’ll be back.

Nobody else on here has Little Willie John on vinyl apart from us.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Cover versions better than the originals on 16:47 - May 4 with 1150 viewsWarwickHunt

Cover versions better than the originals on 16:07 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

I’m with you on Bono.

Do you know Seasick Steve or are you hating him through the medium of the tele? It’s impressive to hate someone that much from a few appearances on Jools’ Hootenanny

Never met him, thankfully. Just hate the bullshit fake persona and fake music that goes with it.
What really did it for me was him appearing on Jools when Honeyboy Edwards ( a contemporary of Robert Johnson, Son House and Charlie Patton) was in London the same week.
Then again, Mark Cooper is a fûcking idiot (and he supports QPR...).

Been to a few Hootenannys as mates work on it. He didn’t show up at the after show parties which was probably just as well as his “geetar” may well have ended up jammed up his fundament.

How d’ya like them apples, “hobo”? 👍
Cover versions better than the originals on 16:48 - May 4 with 1144 viewsWarwickHunt

Cover versions better than the originals on 16:38 - May 4 by Lohengrin

It’s all an act, I get that, but that song is seminal in the Country canon as you know. Can you honestly say you’ve heard it done better?
[Post edited 4 May 2020 16:39]

Couldn’t bring myself to click on it. 😂
Cover versions better than the originals on 16:59 - May 4 with 1126 viewskarnataka

Not my usual genre but I love this and it's heaps better than the Jon & Vangelis original and the Quincy Jones production is awesome

Cover versions better than the originals on 17:45 - May 4 with 1092 viewsWxmJax

Cover versions better than the originals on 14:41 - May 4 by Jinxy

Oh come on Lisa, that sheer power and control! That's the joy of music eh - someone was saying they preferred The Coors to Phil Lynott's Old Town - nice - but I preferred his. Funny, when I was in school (Tom Brown etc) my mate used to argue his Abba were better than my Beatles. Over the years although I still didn't agree, I saw his viewpoint. There is no "better" of course.

Have you watched the Carole King musical? We went to Ceeerdifff - I thought it was OK, but no mention of JT, which I though odd. I missed the Hyde Park Tapestry concert - small matter of a 30th anniversary in Italy - gutting! I did try and persuade wifey to have the gig in France - no chance. Mind you, gave me the chance to be the only Welshman (in a early 90's Welsh shirt) in a Sorrento Irish bar watching that Robson-Kanu turn.

I was going to reply to you this morning before everyone jumped on the bandwagon but that first choice of yours....

Dolly : And I will always love you

Whitney : And eye ee eye ee eye will always love you

Great voice, saw her twice, but Dolly's is sung with feeling. You're on a loser here.
I really enjoyed Beautiful, saw it on Broadway, think the tickets were about £30 on the day and one I'd recommend to people.
Always missed James Taylor when he's toured, only got his Classic Songs album but it was never off the car stereo for a very long time.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Cover versions better than the originals on 19:59 - May 4 with 1051 viewscentrestandswan

Thought I was the only one , this guy is a fraud, if you want to listen to a genuine country blues singer try this guy, just fantastic guitar player and a great live show.

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

Cover versions better than the originals on 21:05 - May 4 with 1030 viewslondonlisa2001

Cover versions better than the originals on 19:59 - May 4 by centrestandswan

Thought I was the only one , this guy is a fraud, if you want to listen to a genuine country blues singer try this guy, just fantastic guitar player and a great live show.

A friend of mine just sent me this. Bloody hell !

Cover versions better than the originals on 21:13 - May 4 with 1017 viewsMuteswan

Cover versions better than the originals on 21:05 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

A friend of mine just sent me this. Bloody hell !

The kid’s got it. The groove.
Cover versions better than the originals on 21:25 - May 4 with 1009 viewslondonlisa2001

Cover versions better than the originals on 21:13 - May 4 by Muteswan

The kid’s got it. The groove.

9 when that was filmed! He’s 10 now.

But absolutely. Wow.
Cover versions better than the originals on 21:43 - May 4 with 997 views1964white

Cover versions better than the originals on 21:49 - May 4 with 987 views1964white

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024