Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gazball 08:33 - Apr 30 with 28329 viewsDWQPR

Was thinking that if more teams adopted Gazball as we’ve seen in the last couple of matches, could it leave the ball left on the halfway line with both teams sitting deep in their own halves waiting for the other team to make a move?

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Gazball on 17:22 - Apr 30 with 3000 viewsE15Hoop

Gazball on 17:16 - Apr 30 by BerkoRanger

Agree. I'm old enough to remember when Don Howe was manager of Arsenal. He perfected a playing system based on an ultra solid defence and a fast breakaway forward line, with a target man. It certainly wasn't "pure" football but it was extremely successful as they won countless games 1-0. Personally, I'd rather we played this than the tippy tappy out from the back style which most Prem teams can't play without conceding stupid goals.

Exactly Berko! Wolves against Brighton is a brilliant example of exactly that point! At least 2 of the 6 goals Wolves conceded were down to them p*ssballing around at the back, PLUS look at how any of Man City's 4 goals against Arsenal started from direct kick outs from Ederson to the halfway line!
Looks like Gazball might actually be on trend!
Gazball on 17:38 - Apr 30 with 2931 viewsRangersDave

good riddance to Toblerone football, with the sum attacking of almost zero!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Gazball on 17:41 - Apr 30 with 2924 viewsE15Hoop

Gazball on 17:38 - Apr 30 by RangersDave

Amen!
Gazball on 18:43 - Apr 30 with 2796 viewsAntti_Heinola

Gazball on 17:16 - Apr 30 by BerkoRanger

Agree. I'm old enough to remember when Don Howe was manager of Arsenal. He perfected a playing system based on an ultra solid defence and a fast breakaway forward line, with a target man. It certainly wasn't "pure" football but it was extremely successful as they won countless games 1-0. Personally, I'd rather we played this than the tippy tappy out from the back style which most Prem teams can't play without conceding stupid goals.

Show me which team in the top two divisions plays in the way you describe and is successful.

There aren't any.

Don Howe was one of the best coaches this country has ever seen. But football is a completely different game, in so many ways from style to law, that it's irrelevant what he did in the early 70s.

I want entertainment and decent football. Gaz deserves the chance to show he can deliver that, but the key to his style is you have to be winning. Because if you lose playing like that, and over a season you will lose more than you win, patience will wear thing quickly at this level.

Bare bones.

Gazball on 18:53 - Apr 30 with 2762 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Gazball on 17:38 - Apr 30 by RangersDave

Hmmm, I dont recall much attacking yesterday with 20% possession

Well done to Gareth, however, the football is dross. Not asking for Barcelona, just more than 4 or 5 passes, but it wont happen.

He'll be gone by November.
Gazball on 18:56 - Apr 30 with 2754 viewsJigsore

I think Ainsworth has been holding off this level of shithousing until it became clear to him this squad is finished, and to return to absolute basics.

A lot is going to depend on how well recruitment goes in the summer but GA isn't a one trick pony, Wycombe evolved to play some decent stuff has his tenure continued as they became a team to beat in League 1.

I hope we keep that sort of performance up our sleeve mind, it's always going to come in handy when we have to go away to Southampton next season, etc. Who gives a sh*t when you're winning.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Gazball on 18:56 - Apr 30 with 2751 viewsHastings_Hoops

I imagine the style will be something like the QPR team he played in.
Gazball on 19:33 - Apr 30 with 2653 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Gazball on 18:56 - Apr 30 by Hastings_Hoops

I imagine the style will be something like the QPR team he played in.

I'd love that. Tempo, good passing, nice width and a nice mixture of passing.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Gazball on 19:41 - Apr 30 with 2639 viewsRuislipHoop

Gazball on 15:05 - Apr 30 by BerkoRanger

Apparently Gareth has given a number of player's names to LF to try and bring in so we will see what Gareth's proposed style might be when / if these arrive.

Good luck with that
Gazball on 19:47 - Apr 30 with 2631 viewsBrianWilson

Gazball on 19:41 - Apr 30 by RuislipHoop

Good luck with that

I'm sure Les still has Josh Scowens number

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

Gazball on 20:42 - Apr 30 with 2555 viewsGloucs_R

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/ainsworth-has-transfer-targets-but-wants-exp

Looks like the board are prepared to settle for avoiding relegation every season then...

Poll: Are we staying up?

Gazball on 20:48 - Apr 30 with 2533 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Gazball on 20:42 - Apr 30 by Gloucs_R

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/ainsworth-has-transfer-targets-but-wants-exp

Looks like the board are prepared to settle for avoiding relegation every season then...

They want to be careful of this bullshit with Coventry, Luton and Millwall in the play-offs this season. We've already had Les giving us this spiel for eight years - zero play-offs.

Not that difficult to compete in this league. You just need competent people in charge.
Gazball on 21:56 - Apr 30 with 2472 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

What a load of sh!t. If little old Brentford can do it, there are no excuses.

Next few seasons are going to be grim.......
Gazball on 22:10 - Apr 30 with 2425 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Another manager with transfer targets....

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Gazball on 22:28 - Apr 30 with 2358 viewsgazza1

I have a lot of time for GA but I do not believe that we will get very far playing this style next season....you have to have quality and you need the football to play football and create chances.....20% of the ball per match will most certainly mean we are going to loose a lot more matches than winning matches.

Whilst the last two matches has gotten us 6 points, we were so fortunate at Burnley in the first half, especially, where we could and should have been 3 goals down before we got into the Burnley half. Stoke were so poor yesterday, shockingly poor, but we only just scrapped home.

Im not convinced by GA but I would not want to 'do him down' because he is a good man.
Gazball on 22:29 - Apr 30 with 2377 viewsAntti_Heinola

Gazball on 21:56 - Apr 30 by Wilkinswatercarrier

But these teams are exceptions. I agree we need to try and match them and be more like them, but there are always 5 or 6 teams about our size who are a 'model' club for a while before falling down. We were it for a while in the early 90s. Charlton had their turn. Southampton had their turn. Even Wigan, for a while. Portsmouth to a degree, although with Redknapp there the inevitable implosion happened. Now it's Brighton and Brentford. But for every one of them there are 15 more similar sized clubs fighting to be them. We always say 'why can't we be more like Brentford, but no one ever comes on here and says 'still, we'bve been better than Sheff Wed for about 15 years now' or note how for many years not that long ago we were doing far better than Leeds. Or Sunderland. This isn't excuses, but they are facts. Every team in this division thinks it can do better. 20 teams out of 24 will have fans next season believing the play-offs are a reasonable expectation. There's no excuse for this season, it's been diabolical and I believe worse is to come, but one day it'll get better again.

Bare bones.

Gazball on 00:15 - May 1 with 2260 viewsHastings_Hoops

Gazball on 21:56 - Apr 30 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Don’t you think this is precisely why Brentfart, luton and wawl have over-achieved?

QPRs problem has been a harkening back to our ‘premier league heritage’… better to re-calibrate and over achieve?
Gazball on 03:04 - May 1 with 2172 viewsloftupper

Gazball on 15:58 - Apr 30 by E15Hoop

But, again, you're not taking into account that the rot had set in LONG before Beale finally left!

I think all I was trying to say was that this team was capable of playing a progressive style and winning. Personally I would rather watch a team try to get better at that rather than rip it up and watch a team play the way we have for the last 8 weeks or so.

Gaz has come in and found a way of getting a group of players to win games. And massive credit to him for that. But this same group of players had also been coached earlier in the season when we won 30 points to play a progressive style that at times both won games and entertained.
Gazball on 07:08 - May 1 with 2117 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Gazball on 22:29 - Apr 30 by Antti_Heinola

But these teams are exceptions. I agree we need to try and match them and be more like them, but there are always 5 or 6 teams about our size who are a 'model' club for a while before falling down. We were it for a while in the early 90s. Charlton had their turn. Southampton had their turn. Even Wigan, for a while. Portsmouth to a degree, although with Redknapp there the inevitable implosion happened. Now it's Brighton and Brentford. But for every one of them there are 15 more similar sized clubs fighting to be them. We always say 'why can't we be more like Brentford, but no one ever comes on here and says 'still, we'bve been better than Sheff Wed for about 15 years now' or note how for many years not that long ago we were doing far better than Leeds. Or Sunderland. This isn't excuses, but they are facts. Every team in this division thinks it can do better. 20 teams out of 24 will have fans next season believing the play-offs are a reasonable expectation. There's no excuse for this season, it's been diabolical and I believe worse is to come, but one day it'll get better again.

I get what your saying, but my issue with his comments is comparing us to Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea. Even in the 70s to 90s periods these clubs were considered bigger than us.
I dont think many fans on here are expecting to compete financially with them, but he selected clubs that have always been 'bigger' than us.
In the Premier league Brentford, Bournmouth, Brighton and soon to be Burnley. Not big clubs, but all above us, so it can be done.
Gazball on 07:22 - May 1 with 2101 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

This isn’t what he said in the article though.

Personally I couldn’t agree more. We do need to re calibrate our expectations. That doesn’t mean a relegation dogfight, it just means respect the impact of FFP and having the 6th lowest net income in the league.
Gazball on 07:40 - May 1 with 2081 viewsGloucs_R

Gazball on 07:22 - May 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

Personally I couldn’t agree more. We do need to re calibrate our expectations. That doesn’t mean a relegation dogfight, it just means respect the impact of FFP and having the 6th lowest net income in the league.

I interpret that article as the board want to pull their additional funding and would like us to break even so are setting new budgets. Is that a bad thing? No. Can they do more? Yes. Get a move on with a new stadium for a start, almost ten years since they announced it. Larger, better facilities, new stadium = greater revenue. That's what they've been telling us for years.

Rather than the manager coming out and hinting at the future, I want to hear the plans from the board.

If they come out and say.. We want a self sustainable football club, bringing through a few youth team players every year, we'll be competitive in the league, try to give you a cup run each season and it's our ambition to be in a new stadium by 2030 then I'd happily take that. But...I want to see accountability and not just from the manager.
[Post edited 1 May 2023 9:24]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Gazball on 08:03 - May 1 with 2042 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Gazball on 07:22 - May 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

Yes, I look forward to 20% possession and hoofball just to come 18th. What larks, Pip.
Gazball on 08:53 - May 1 with 1975 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Gazball on 18:53 - Apr 30 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Hmmm, I dont recall much attacking yesterday with 20% possession

Well done to Gareth, however, the football is dross. Not asking for Barcelona, just more than 4 or 5 passes, but it wont happen.

He'll be gone by November.

We had more shots and shots on target than Stoke yesterday, so we can’t really say that the possesion statistic held us back in that regard.
Gazball on 08:58 - May 1 with 1962 viewsconnell10

Why does it have to be one style over another, why can't we have a combination of the two styles?
[Post edited 1 May 2023 8:59]

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Gazball on 09:18 - May 1 with 1899 viewsNorthantsHoop

The only way to go for me is strong and physical, find a style that allows us to be able to play from the back through to the front more quickly. We need a strong core through centre back, centre midfield and centre forward. We get overun time and again in midfield. I have been impressed by teams like Luton and Millwall this season they have developed styles that adapt and don't break the bank doing it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024