Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 21:11 - Dec 1 with 2642 viewsEssex_Ranger

is there a way of getting AJ into the team without going back to 4-4-2? IMO I don't think 442 will work as we don't have the midfield players for 2 in the middle. But we are in desperate need of some more clout going forward.

Would something like this work?

-----------------Green-----------------
---Simpson------Dunne-------Hill--------BEO
----------------Carroll--------------
-----Phillips-------Barton--------O'Neil
------------------------AJ---------------
--------------Austin--------------

I know its kind of like a 442 but with Carroll sitting deeper controlling the tempo and keeping the ball and Barton's Guile. Unfortunately based on the last couple of performances its Niko that looses out as I would play O'Neil wide right for his work-rate as we would need cover in the center and also a bit more cover for when BEO goes forward.

AJ playing just off of Austin - not in the hole more off the shoulder. (its a bit hard to illustrate it on here!

Thoughts?
[Post edited 1 Dec 2013 21:25]
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 21:36 - Dec 1 with 2207 viewsNorthernr

We haven't been playing 442 when he's been coming on lately. He played in the role behind Austin yesterday and came in from the left against Reading - both of which worked ok.
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 21:36 - Dec 1 with 2206 viewsWestonsuperR

I agree that we should try and get AJ in the team, probably in place of Niko. I was wondering how much experience he had of playing wide? Would give him a chance to cut in and join Austin and could keep us as a 4-5-1. I have to say I did think he had little impact yesterday, not totally convinced he would make a huge difference but I guess worth trying.
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 21:39 - Dec 1 with 2199 viewsRBlock

Not in my opinion. Firstly you are neutralizing one of our few strengths in recent weeks which has been Phillips' delivery from the right. Also you would be asking AJ to work in a role that he really isn't suited to. It is playing 2 up top, without saying we are playing 2 up top. Johnson is not a playmaker, so it is pointless playing him in that role when his natural inclination will be to bomb forward, so we would loose a midfield ball player, while AJ would have to be more reserved and wouldn't get forward as much and we loose a striker.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2013 21:40]
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 21:42 - Dec 1 with 2191 viewsWatford_Ranger

Would beat playing with ten men as we are currently so play him as the most attacking 'midfield' player and see what happens.
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 21:43 - Dec 1 with 2185 viewsHollowayRanger

ID TRY

Austin
kranjar
holliett barton oneill phillips
ekotto hill dunne simpsn
green

and if kranjar flops agian or we arent winning after 60 mins swap him for johnson and o'neill for carroll

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 21:46 - Dec 1 with 2183 viewsCamberleyR

I would go: 4-3-3/4-1-2-3

----------------------Green--------------------
Simpson-------Dunne------Hill----------BAE

--------------------Carroll-------------
----------Barton-------------O'Neil---------------
---Phillips---------- --------------------AJ---------
----------------------Austin-------------------------

I think Matt Phillips has got the attributes to play in a front 3 on the right with AJ on the other side supporting Austin but also able to track back and make a more solid 5 in midfield when defending. ditto AJ.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2013 22:16]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 22:10 - Dec 1 with 2138 viewsNorthernr

Personally I think the key is getting Hoilett and Phillips on the pitch at the same time consistently, playing very wide either side of Austin. We've looked at our most threatening - Reading A, Millwall A, Derby H - when we've been like that.

When one of them is injured - and they both frequently are - we have to find some way to inject some pace and tempo into our attack because we're too slow and too predictable when using O'Neil or Kranjcar in those wide roles.
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 22:31 - Dec 1 with 2079 viewsHollowayRanger

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 22:10 - Dec 1 by Northernr

Personally I think the key is getting Hoilett and Phillips on the pitch at the same time consistently, playing very wide either side of Austin. We've looked at our most threatening - Reading A, Millwall A, Derby H - when we've been like that.

When one of them is injured - and they both frequently are - we have to find some way to inject some pace and tempo into our attack because we're too slow and too predictable when using O'Neil or Kranjcar in those wide roles.

swp fit again for what its worth

as cover for them ,did have a decet camo last time out

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Login to get fewer ads

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 22:35 - Dec 1 with 2077 viewseghamranger

I don't know about you lot but I liked Chevanton when he came on, I know it was only 15 mins, but he had an eye for goal and had 3 or 4 shots. Saturdays result may have done the team a favour as they needed a kick up the arse as had not been playing great. Charlie needs support and service, Hoillet needs to stay fit too and Swp has done ok as an impact sub.

I saw a bit about Bournemouth on sky earlier, it said they always score and that fella they have called Ritchie that played on sat after 4 months out looks tasty. We have got to put in a massive performance on Tuesday to get a result.

I hope nico and jenas are dropped for Hoillet and Johnson!
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 22:37 - Dec 1 with 2076 viewsdaveB

agree with Clive the key is getting those two wide players fit and playing regularly, If Johnson is fit I'd play him not sure on what formation to use with him but he is an asset, problem is he's always struggled to play 2 games in a row for us
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 22:43 - Dec 1 with 2068 viewseghamranger

I can't work out how HR can't see that Austin and Johnson could be a great partnership in this league, Austin is scoring which is good for confidence and even though I can't work out whether Johnson wants to be at HQ or Selhurst, he is still a quality goalscorer. Can't he just start and then if it's not happening or he has done ok and scored, he can be taken off and rested.
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 23:03 - Dec 1 with 2047 viewsShotKneesHoop

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 22:31 - Dec 1 by HollowayRanger

Don't start me off!

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 23:17 - Dec 1 with 2035 viewsessextaxiboy

Traore could do a wide left role when Hoilett is injured ... and when Traore isnt
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 23:25 - Dec 1 with 2025 viewsNorthernr

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 22:31 - Dec 1 by HollowayRanger

"for what it's worth"

not even the steam off my pis etc etc
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 10:04 - Dec 2 with 1908 viewsstevec

If you've got strikers like Austin and Johnson then you build the team around that, not the inadequacies of our midfield.

Bolton/Leeds were 2 tough games, we won both. Who played centre mid? Barton and Henry.
All this fancy footwork in midfield is only needed when the opposition back four are pushing us back. Get Henry and Barton to feed 2 widemen (Phillips/SWP/Hoilett/Traore, depending on fitness) and let them feed the front 2. Charlton looked crap, 2 centre halfs leaving massive gap between, but it didn't matter with only 1 forward to worry about. Johnson came on and their back 4 dropped 5 to 10 yards. Space in midfield and you're moving.

Henry made a couple of big errors against Burnley and everyone was on his back. Sure he is probably the least gifted out there, but he knows it and sticks to his game (a la Holloway/Leach/Mahon), you always need one of them in your midfleld.

Its got to the point where I'd be happy to see a more open game, mistakes, lose one maybe win two, but the thought of watching this turgid football with 5 in midfleld for much longer is too much to take.
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 10:22 - Dec 2 with 1889 viewsdaveB

I think the big problem with playing AJ is his injury record which is why Redknapp signed Carroll and Krancjkar and switched to 4-5-1 after Johnsons third injury of the season in August.
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 10:24 - Dec 2 with 1887 viewsJonDoeman

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 10:22 - Dec 2 by daveB

I think the big problem with playing AJ is his injury record which is why Redknapp signed Carroll and Krancjkar and switched to 4-5-1 after Johnsons third injury of the season in August.

Spot on . That can be the only reason he's getting used sparingly, we look a much better side with him on the pitch. But he breaks.

It Is What It Is !!

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 10:30 - Dec 2 with 1882 viewsAntti_Heinola

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 10:04 - Dec 2 by stevec

If you've got strikers like Austin and Johnson then you build the team around that, not the inadequacies of our midfield.

Bolton/Leeds were 2 tough games, we won both. Who played centre mid? Barton and Henry.
All this fancy footwork in midfield is only needed when the opposition back four are pushing us back. Get Henry and Barton to feed 2 widemen (Phillips/SWP/Hoilett/Traore, depending on fitness) and let them feed the front 2. Charlton looked crap, 2 centre halfs leaving massive gap between, but it didn't matter with only 1 forward to worry about. Johnson came on and their back 4 dropped 5 to 10 yards. Space in midfield and you're moving.

Henry made a couple of big errors against Burnley and everyone was on his back. Sure he is probably the least gifted out there, but he knows it and sticks to his game (a la Holloway/Leach/Mahon), you always need one of them in your midfleld.

Its got to the point where I'd be happy to see a more open game, mistakes, lose one maybe win two, but the thought of watching this turgid football with 5 in midfleld for much longer is too much to take.

If only Henry was half as good as Holloway, or Leach, or Mahon. He shouldn't even be considered unless it's absolutely necessary. Terrible, pointless signing.

A formation change won't yield sudden great play. It's about the mentality of the team, not where players stand. Currently, we move the ball too slowly and we don't commit enough players forward from midfield when we attack. Just sticking AJ up front won't really change that I'm afraid. There's nothing wrong with the formation we're playing - where it falls down is when the 3 players behind Austin don't support him, get next to him, or run past him. Strangely the one person who did that was Ale, playing in an unfamiliar role v Middlesbrough.

Bare bones.

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 11:06 - Dec 2 with 1869 viewsstevec

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 10:30 - Dec 2 by Antti_Heinola

If only Henry was half as good as Holloway, or Leach, or Mahon. He shouldn't even be considered unless it's absolutely necessary. Terrible, pointless signing.

A formation change won't yield sudden great play. It's about the mentality of the team, not where players stand. Currently, we move the ball too slowly and we don't commit enough players forward from midfield when we attack. Just sticking AJ up front won't really change that I'm afraid. There's nothing wrong with the formation we're playing - where it falls down is when the 3 players behind Austin don't support him, get next to him, or run past him. Strangely the one person who did that was Ale, playing in an unfamiliar role v Middlesbrough.

Agree, Henry is not up with those 3, but if not him we need someone brought in who can play that role.

If you're waiting for the 3 players behind Austin to support him, you could be in for a long wait.

We've got 2 good forwards, 2 good wide men, I just want a reason to stand up and have the bloke behind me telling me to sit down and they are it.
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 11:16 - Dec 2 with 1856 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 11:06 - Dec 2 by stevec

Agree, Henry is not up with those 3, but if not him we need someone brought in who can play that role.

If you're waiting for the 3 players behind Austin to support him, you could be in for a long wait.

We've got 2 good forwards, 2 good wide men, I just want a reason to stand up and have the bloke behind me telling me to sit down and they are it.

Our squad seems to me to be woefully unbalanced. If either of the injury-prone Hoillet or Philips gets injured the nature of our squad means that we have to change formation and or/style.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 11:57 - Dec 2 with 1832 viewsstevec

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 11:16 - Dec 2 by BrianMcCarthy

Our squad seems to me to be woefully unbalanced. If either of the injury-prone Hoillet or Philips gets injured the nature of our squad means that we have to change formation and or/style.

Very true, I guess that is the reason why we play 451. Still, I'd like to see us at least try to field a formation that suited the best when the best are available.
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 12:12 - Dec 2 with 1817 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 11:57 - Dec 2 by stevec

Very true, I guess that is the reason why we play 451. Still, I'd like to see us at least try to field a formation that suited the best when the best are available.

Sorry, Steve, my point is that we can't play 4-4-2 because we don't have two strikers that Redknapp trusts, so we have to play 4-5-1. But then if one of the our only two wingers gets injured, which is often, 4-5-1 doesn't suit us either.

Baseball and American football build their squads on depth charts, where you plan two, three or four deep in every position depending on your resources. We do the same in our humble Gaelic Football club. Rangers don't seem to have such a plan. We just buy players. Often.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 12:22 - Dec 2 with 1803 viewsPinnerPaul

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 21:36 - Dec 1 by Northernr

We haven't been playing 442 when he's been coming on lately. He played in the role behind Austin yesterday and came in from the left against Reading - both of which worked ok.

Harry seemed to imply that he wasn't happy with the impact on the number chances created by AJ's appearance - that's probably more to do with the poor performance of the team as a whole rather than AJ or the "system"

However, would you start with AJ and Charlie tomorrow and do you think Harry will?
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 12:34 - Dec 2 with 1783 viewsjonno

Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 12:22 - Dec 2 by PinnerPaul

Harry seemed to imply that he wasn't happy with the impact on the number chances created by AJ's appearance - that's probably more to do with the poor performance of the team as a whole rather than AJ or the "system"

However, would you start with AJ and Charlie tomorrow and do you think Harry will?

It's probably worth starting both if only to disrupt whatever game plan Bournemouth come up with.
Playing AJ but not 4-4-2 on 13:10 - Dec 2 with 1763 viewsderbyhoop

When we start playing 4-4-2 one of the 4 in the middle will have to be Karl Henry to shield the 2 old men at the back.
Ad, if that's what we have to do, who's going to create chances for the front 2? Barton is probably a shoe in but hasn't got the speed to get up in support. I wouldn't trust any 2 from Phillips, Hoilett, Krancjar to do a great deal of defensive work, either.

It's all well and good winning 1-0 and boring people but, if we don't do the defensive side as well, we could score 3 and lose 4-3.

Which is why we'll stick at 4-5-1. What we really need is the midfield getting up in support a lot quicker than they have done so far.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024