Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
US Election 09:58 - Nov 6 with 7396 viewsderbyhoop

As a change from all the gloom and doom, the world's biggest economy goes to the polls today.

Any interest?
Any predictions?

It's going to be close but I believe Obama will keep his job. Audacity of Hope seems to have dwindled considerably.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one's lifetime." (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop and now on Bluesky

US Election on 10:55 - Nov 6 with 848 viewsKonk

Having done extensive polling of the Americans I know who are voting in this election, the results are as follows:

Democrats have won votes in Wisconsin (3), Illinois (2), Michigan (1), NY (2), Massachusetts (1)

Republicans have won Florida (1)

Either my polling sample wasn't quite big enough or the other pollsters have fu cked this one up because I'm calling a landslide in Obama's favour.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

US Election on 10:56 - Nov 6 with 842 viewsklr

Like I've said watch BBC 3 tonight 8PM "Free Speech"

Political Propaganda aimed at young people

Obama = Good

Romney = Bad / Evil

The Programme hasnt even been broadcast yet, lets see if i'm wrong.
US Election on 10:56 - Nov 6 with 839 viewsklr

US Election on 10:55 - Nov 6 by Konk

Having done extensive polling of the Americans I know who are voting in this election, the results are as follows:

Democrats have won votes in Wisconsin (3), Illinois (2), Michigan (1), NY (2), Massachusetts (1)

Either my polling sample wasn't quite big enough or the other pollsters have fu cked this one up because I'm calling a landslide in Obama's favour.

lol, wishful thinking on your part I think.
US Election on 10:58 - Nov 6 with 836 viewsKonk

US Election on 10:56 - Nov 6 by klr

lol, wishful thinking on your part I think.

Do you think so? I thought I'd been pretty scientific. Oh, and I've just remembered two more Democrat voters in Texas. This is pretty conclusive.

US Election on 11:04 - Nov 6 with 817 viewsKonk

on 01:00 - Jan 1 by

Ha-ha. The one from Massachusetts isn't...he's a season-ticket holder.

PS. I'll be back on here in a few weeks to see how you lot reckon the South Korean Presidential election's going to go.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

US Election on 11:06 - Nov 6 with 809 viewsdaveB

Obama = Good

Romney = Bad / Evil

won't matter what goes out at 8pm tonight as everyone in this country able to vote has already done so
US Election on 11:08 - Nov 6 with 800 viewsTHEBUSH

Obama = Good

Romney = Bad / Evil

I don't care what the BBC says or Fox News I can make up my own mind.
You seem to think that because a program is biased one way or another, this is going to change peoples minds, I don't see it like that !!
Most people are fixed in their views and it's just the people on the cusp that maybe swing elections.
US Election on 11:10 - Nov 6 with 789 viewsklr

US Election on 11:08 - Nov 6 by THEBUSH

I don't care what the BBC says or Fox News I can make up my own mind.
You seem to think that because a program is biased one way or another, this is going to change peoples minds, I don't see it like that !!
Most people are fixed in their views and it's just the people on the cusp that maybe swing elections.

Read this thread for confirmation, we've already had a few come out with the stereotypical "Romney will be a disaster" nonsense
Login to get fewer ads

US Election on 11:12 - Nov 6 with 783 viewsgueRRilla

US Election on 10:35 - Nov 6 by klr

I'd say Romney will win comfortably, even if things get nasty a la 2000 with Lawyers getting involved, Obama will still have no mandate to continue as President.

The Liberal media are kidding themselves & burying their heads in the sands, their man is just not well liked in America & has not been a success as President.

Oh dear, I think someone is going to be a little disappointed today. Pretty much every pundit worth their salt has called it for Obama already. Sure Paddy Power even paid out on an Obama win on Sunday.

Reckon Obama will take the popular vote and ride in with 300 odd electoral college votes. This despite the most cynical attempt by any group to disenfranchise and intimidate millions of black, hispanic, minority voters since the Jim Crow laws. (I'm talking about the Republicans obviously.)

If/When Romney loses tonight, will be a fascinating blow for Republicans and their ideological basis. Obama should have been easy to beat by any historical standards, but they've isolated themselves so far to the right of the political spectrum and draw support from an ever shrinking white base that they theoretically might not win for a long long time. Explained better here.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83305.html?hp=l20
US Election on 11:12 - Nov 6 with 783 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I don't like either of them.

It's like being asked to chosse between Ted Heath and Neil Kinnock.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

US Election on 11:12 - Nov 6 with 780 viewsJAPRANGERS

Hot off the press predictions:

Obama 1 Romney 0

Stoke 4 QPR 1

Harry 1 MH 0
US Election on 11:21 - Nov 6 with 733 viewsRangersDave

Dont care who wins and sick to the back teeth of it TBH.

last night 40,000 New yorkers were without a roof over their head in sub zero temeratures, with 1m still without power, price gouging going on etc.

This, the worlds not so 'superpower', cant even get it's own house in order.

They shouldnt be campaigning , they should have put all their energy into filling the skies with transport helicopters bringing food, troops to help rebuild the place, and at least get people undercover and warm quickly.

If one of them gave up campaining to do this and told the American people why on TV, the polls wouldnt be so close.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

US Election on 11:44 - Nov 6 with 709 viewsJAPRANGERS

US Election on 11:21 - Nov 6 by RangersDave

Dont care who wins and sick to the back teeth of it TBH.

last night 40,000 New yorkers were without a roof over their head in sub zero temeratures, with 1m still without power, price gouging going on etc.

This, the worlds not so 'superpower', cant even get it's own house in order.

They shouldnt be campaigning , they should have put all their energy into filling the skies with transport helicopters bringing food, troops to help rebuild the place, and at least get people undercover and warm quickly.

If one of them gave up campaining to do this and told the American people why on TV, the polls wouldnt be so close.

yes of course, a fine perspective on events.

US Election on 11:51 - Nov 6 with 695 viewsderbyhoop

US Election on 10:55 - Nov 6 by Konk

That sample size is bigger than Fulham's away support. Sorry, Konk, couldn't resist

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one's lifetime." (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop and now on Bluesky

US Election on 11:52 - Nov 6 with 690 viewsQPR_Nippon

The news networks have desperately been trying to paint this race as 'neck-and-neck' and 'too close to call' but the reality is that, for Romney to win, the polls (in particular the state polls) will have to be quite spectacularly wrong.
US Election on 11:59 - Nov 6 with 676 viewsBAWHoops

It isn't actually close. Romney needs a lot of things to fall into place for him to win, Obama needs 1 or 2 swing states.

After living there for the last 4 years I can tell you that it is a crazy, backwards, messed up place in the middle with a very liberal coast.

It seems that a black man becoming President has made the right even more ridiculous.

Obama hasn't been great, but I just don't see how Romney would be an improvement at all. Had The Republicans had a decent candidate it would have actually been close.

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

US Election on 12:15 - Nov 6 with 665 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Looks like Obama's. So less chance of a war. Not no chance just less.

The big decision in the US is who wins the House, though. If the President's party takes the house, then things will change, for better or for worse. Otherwise, he'll be as spancilled as Obama was these last four years.

Even allowing for that, Obama made progress on Social Security and didn't bomb anyone. That's good for a US President. That's superb for a US President.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

US Election on 12:16 - Nov 6 with 664 viewsTacticalR

US Election on 10:39 - Nov 6 by AlbRanger

Can't stand Obama - really hope he loses.I have a nasty feeling he will stay though.

I think the Republicans have, yet again, given themselves an uphill struggle with their choice of candidate. I think Santorum would have been far better.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I do find it hilarious how many people in this country rant on about how 'the World needs Obama to win' an 'it'll be dangerous if the Republicans get in' etc.

People need to realise that not everyone in the world shares the same opnion - particularly in America - and they're not necessarily wrong, scary or evil!!

The Americans are voting for who's best for them - not the whole planet. I'm guessing most Brits would get the hump if the Yanks started telling us how to vote!

On your last point while it's true that Americans are voting for themselves, surely the reality is is that America is an international power with international reach (just as Britain was in the 19th century). The American government also has a long history of installing governments it considered sympathetic to its interests in other countries 'by any means necessary'. Of course that doesn't mean that ordinary Americans are 'wrong, scary or evil'.

Air hostess clique

US Election on 12:49 - Nov 6 with 633 viewsKonk

US Election on 11:51 - Nov 6 by derbyhoop

That sample size is bigger than Fulham's away support. Sorry, Konk, couldn't resist

Oh, you cow!

US Election on 13:32 - Nov 6 with 595 viewsAlbRanger

US Election on 12:16 - Nov 6 by TacticalR

On your last point while it's true that Americans are voting for themselves, surely the reality is is that America is an international power with international reach (just as Britain was in the 19th century). The American government also has a long history of installing governments it considered sympathetic to its interests in other countries 'by any means necessary'. Of course that doesn't mean that ordinary Americans are 'wrong, scary or evil'.

I agree with what you're saying - at the end of the day the whole existence of this thread is down to the fact that people are interested in the US elections. Due in no small part to the fact that they are a/the superpower.

My issue really comes from how vocal/arrogant people get when sharing what they feel America should do.

My Twitter and Facebook feeds have been full of (admittedly) Liberal hyperbole saying things like 'the World needs them to vote for Obama', 'the US are idiots if Romney gets in' etc. This all gets tied in with things like 'the extreme Right', 'Religious nutters' etc.

It does, in my experience, all come from Left leaning individuals who, to my mind, consequently come across as far more bigoted and lacking in tolerance than the very people they are decrying.

I'm sure there are Right of Centre/Republican voices shouting similar thing - I just haven't seen or heard them.

I can understand how the Palestinians, for example, may have an even more vested interest from the outside given the way the US does look after it's own overseas interests as the outcome can directly affect them.

However, for the main part, I just find it another excuse for the Left to show their intolerance of a different way of thinking.
US Election on 13:34 - Nov 6 with 592 viewsHunterhoop

US Election on 12:15 - Nov 6 by BrianMcCarthy

The big decision in the US is who wins the House, though. If the President's party takes the house, then things will change, for better or for worse. Otherwise, he'll be as spancilled as Obama was these last four years.

Even allowing for that, Obama made progress on Social Security and didn't bomb anyone. That's good for a US President. That's superb for a US President.

This.

Romney has been demonsied unfairly in the British press.

IDS was right in saying the coverage of him has been unfair.

HOWEVER, how any rational thinking British citizen can think Romney will be better for the world (and America) than Obama is frankly odd.

1) His jobs policy is flawed. He'll create jobs but reduce the state??? Err...so the private sector will take up the slack? Maybe if you rowed back from rampant, laissez faire capitalism and enforced legislation but in a free market??

2) His economic policy is flawed. Reducing the national deficit whilst reducing tax. Explain that one, Mitt! Oh, wait, you haven't and you won't....because you can't.

3) Significantly increase defence spending...again whilst reducing the deficit...where's the money coming from?!

He simply hasn't explained the maths and have been widely derided by most economists.

In reality he won't actually do all this because he won't be able to, but he's basing his campaign of mistruths and lies over 'what he will do'.

On top of all of this, there's his pro-life stance, which any rational, well balanced individual should be against.

Then there's his hawkish approach to the Middle East. Well that worked under Bush, didn't it chaps!

Then there's his opposition to "Obamacara" which is actually based loosely on a bill he himself introduced when running Massachusetts.

Look, there has been a media bias against him here and in Europe. Heck, I know of a couple of people who are quite right wing and would probably vote for him if they actually knew what his policies are, but won't because they have accepted this view that he's a moron.

Nevertheless, his policy his based on promises he simply can't keep. The maths doesn't work. And his economically insular perspective coupled with his hawkish foreign policy WOULD be a disaster for the rest of the world.

Now all of that isn't me being a sold a story by the media. It's called rational analysis.
US Election on 13:38 - Nov 6 with 725 viewsBasingstokeR

US Election on 13:34 - Nov 6 by Hunterhoop

This.

HOWEVER, how any rational thinking British citizen can think Romney will be better for the world (and America) than Obama is frankly odd.

1) His jobs policy is flawed. He'll create jobs but reduce the state??? Err...so the private sector will take up the slack? Maybe if you rowed back from rampant, laissez faire capitalism and enforced legislation but in a free market??

2) His economic policy is flawed. Reducing the national deficit whilst reducing tax. Explain that one, Mitt! Oh, wait, you haven't and you won't....because you can't.

3) Significantly increase defence spending...again whilst reducing the deficit...where's the money coming from?!

He simply hasn't explained the maths and have been widely derided by most economists.

In reality he won't actually do all this because he won't be able to, but he's basing his campaign of mistruths and lies over 'what he will do'.

On top of all of this, there's his pro-life stance, which any rational, well balanced individual should be against.

Then there's his hawkish approach to the Middle East. Well that worked under Bush, didn't it chaps!

Then there's his opposition to "Obamacara" which is actually based loosely on a bill he himself introduced when running Massachusetts.

Look, there has been a media bias against him here and in Europe. Heck, I know of a couple of people who are quite right wing and would probably vote for him if they actually knew what his policies are, but won't because they have accepted this view that he's a moron.

Nevertheless, his policy his based on promises he simply can't keep. The maths doesn't work. And his economically insular perspective coupled with his hawkish foreign policy WOULD be a disaster for the rest of the world.

Now all of that isn't me being a sold a story by the media. It's called rational analysis.

THIS ^^^^
US Election on 13:40 - Nov 6 with 724 viewsHunterhoop

US Election on 13:34 - Nov 6 by Hunterhoop

This.

Alb, I accept what you're saying. And I think there is a lot of that hyperbole being spouted from left leaning individuals who haven't actually looked into the policies.

However, that doesn't mean the statements/conclusions are wrong.

As my post above makes out. I can't understand a citizen outside of America looking at Romney's policies and thinking they'll be good for them. They won't. The world needs America. The world will be better off with Obama.

That's not saying he'll solve all the issues (he won't) or even be particularly successful (he won't), but Romney's economic and foreign policy will be bad for Europe, APAC and the Middle East.

Oh, and then there' the frightening idea that he's riding the militant pro-life lobby as a core policy. How western thinking can still accept this as a reasoned position on an important topic is beyond me. But maybe that's just me.
US Election on 14:14 - Nov 6 with 707 viewsTheBlob

Who's better for the economy?I think the Yanks may be fed up with green issues and new taxes.

Just a shame they don't spend as much time on government as they do in the election/fundraising process.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

US Election on 14:24 - Nov 6 with 701 viewsklr

US Election on 12:15 - Nov 6 by BrianMcCarthy

"less chance of a war" under Obama ?! lol

The war is happening whoever ends up in The White House.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024