Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ospreys 13:09 - Jul 8 with 2215 viewsYrAlarch

Have announced that they will move to St Helens,Swansea from Season 2025/26.
There will be substantial ground improvements, including a 4G pitch.
Not been announced where Swansea CC will move to.
St Helens will be shared with Swansea RFC and Swansea University RFC.

From WR thread.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/articles/c98q79j7y90o

This post has been edited by an administrator
Ospreys on 23:40 - Jul 8 with 577 viewsBoundy

Ospreys on 22:34 - Jul 8 by raynor94

Well it certainly won't be the Welsh government!

Why not , they were happy to help the redevelopment of Sophia Gardens , much to the detriment of Welsh cricket.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Ospreys on 05:39 - Jul 9 with 539 views1983

Ospreys on 16:52 - Jul 8 by ReslovenSwan1

Bad news in my opinion. This is shrinkage in a nice new shiney box. All the benefits of shared infrastructure costs lost. They will get 8000 until the novelty wears off then it is back to 3,000. The stadium was not the problem. The rugby was the problem.

The happy clappers love Swansea seafront more than the football team. More loses for the Swans encouraged by the ratepayers and the University.

Good for the city
Good for the clubs involved
Good for the economy and for local business
Another part of the city opening up and growing
Another good reason to call for better transport systems towards Mumbles
Club rugby has never pulled in big crowds apart from certain games

Your arguments against are very poor Butt

Ospreys on 06:49 - Jul 9 with 522 viewsWhiterockin

Ospreys on 22:00 - Jul 8 by builthjack

How many will it hold?
Who is funding it?

The initial funding for the stadium will come from the Ospreys and Swansea City Council. Swansea City Council have brokered several major financial deals over the last couple of years the Arena, the Kingsway development, Mumbles promenade to name but a few. With hardly any complaints and thousands are reaping the benefits. The larger development that will follow, the creation of a centre of excellence within sport with world-class facilities for elite teams, community sports, along with sports technology and research will be funded by Swansea Bay City Deal who funded the Arena and the Kingsway development, In conjunction with Swansea University who will obviously be involved with financing the deal. The initial capacity will be 8,000 with the opportunity to expand this when the swansea Bay City Deal is progressing over the next ten years. The full development of the sporting centre of excellence should be completed by 2033, by which time the project incorporating the medical, health, well-being part of the project will have brought 1,000 well paid jobs to the area. This stadium is only a small, but vital part of the whole development.

As I say Swansea is a vibrant expanding city which the residents should be proud of. People from the backwater with little knowledge of life in a city like Swansea and the undoubted progress it is making, albeit slowly, should try and improve their own local amenities before criticising developments they know little about.
Ospreys on 08:09 - Jul 9 with 500 viewsonehunglow

Ospreys on 06:49 - Jul 9 by Whiterockin

The initial funding for the stadium will come from the Ospreys and Swansea City Council. Swansea City Council have brokered several major financial deals over the last couple of years the Arena, the Kingsway development, Mumbles promenade to name but a few. With hardly any complaints and thousands are reaping the benefits. The larger development that will follow, the creation of a centre of excellence within sport with world-class facilities for elite teams, community sports, along with sports technology and research will be funded by Swansea Bay City Deal who funded the Arena and the Kingsway development, In conjunction with Swansea University who will obviously be involved with financing the deal. The initial capacity will be 8,000 with the opportunity to expand this when the swansea Bay City Deal is progressing over the next ten years. The full development of the sporting centre of excellence should be completed by 2033, by which time the project incorporating the medical, health, well-being part of the project will have brought 1,000 well paid jobs to the area. This stadium is only a small, but vital part of the whole development.

As I say Swansea is a vibrant expanding city which the residents should be proud of. People from the backwater with little knowledge of life in a city like Swansea and the undoubted progress it is making, albeit slowly, should try and improve their own local amenities before criticising developments they know little about.

Whitey.
This fills me with joy
Over fifty years I’ve seen my beloved home town drift into virtual oblivion . This is great news
The valleys always had an inferiority complex with Swansea but used it as a focal point for south west wales,which it is .

Floreat Swansea

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Ospreys on 09:11 - Jul 9 with 475 viewsWhiterockin

Ospreys on 08:09 - Jul 9 by onehunglow

Whitey.
This fills me with joy
Over fifty years I’ve seen my beloved home town drift into virtual oblivion . This is great news
The valleys always had an inferiority complex with Swansea but used it as a focal point for south west wales,which it is .

Floreat Swansea

Swansea University are trying to get up there with Loughborough and Bath Universities with regard sports science, development and centres of excellence. I have visited and been shown around both, I think Bath is attainable but Loughborough may possibly be a step too far, but possible over time, it will still be the best in Wales. Without a doubt the whole project will put Swansea on the map worldwide and if the Ospreys benefit from the facilities as well as the stadium good luck to them. Anything thats lifts the cities profile and benefits the City of Swansea is just fine by me.
Ospreys on 11:07 - Jul 9 with 427 viewsmajorraglan

Ospreys on 23:40 - Jul 8 by Boundy

Why not , they were happy to help the redevelopment of Sophia Gardens , much to the detriment of Welsh cricket.

I think you’ll find it was Cardiff City Council that wrote off a lot of the Sophia Gardens costs.

St Helens is a poor ground, it was a terrible ground when I watched cricket there back in the day. Operating 2 stadiums is a costly so it comes down to prioritising and Sophia Gardens won. I think if offers so much more than St Helens.
Ospreys on 11:45 - Jul 9 with 402 viewsBoundy

Ospreys on 11:07 - Jul 9 by majorraglan

I think you’ll find it was Cardiff City Council that wrote off a lot of the Sophia Gardens costs.

St Helens is a poor ground, it was a terrible ground when I watched cricket there back in the day. Operating 2 stadiums is a costly so it comes down to prioritising and Sophia Gardens won. I think if offers so much more than St Helens.

I think you'll find they provided funding for its redevelopment along with its partner Cardiff City Council and its leader Russell Goodway in 2005/6. Where the focus was on the betterment of Cardiff which in turn left the rest of Welsh cricket to fall by the wayside , but hi ho who cares eh.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Ospreys on 12:09 - Jul 9 with 374 viewsonehunglow

Ospreys on 11:07 - Jul 9 by majorraglan

Not from the pavilion stand it wasn’t nor the boundaries adjoining the rugby side. Behind the bowlers end at the Sea end was awesome.
The ground has re@ history

Look at 5.00

Login to get fewer ads

Ospreys on 16:12 - Jul 9 with 304 viewsSullutaCreturned

Ospreys on 21:17 - Jul 8 by Whiterockin

You really don't have a clue what is happening in Swansea. I think this development is part of the £132M investment being made by the University and partners to develop Medical Technology and Sports Technology sectors. It is proposed to create another 1,000 jobs on top of the 3,500 directly employed by the University. Also generating £150M for the local economy in the next 10 years. It's not just a couple of stands but a massive project and St Helens is just a part of it. When the big city does something it does it. We are not a little two bit valley village. You need to look at the bigger comercial implications, I have said for a while if it goes to St Helens the University will be going in big time and it looks as if they are.

But he's POTY mun, he knows everything....

This is obviously great news for the city and the ground will be a proper rugby stadium, a proper home that the Ospreys can afford to run and if properly managed can benefit and grow in.
The Neath Ospreys won't be happy with it but maybe more Swansea people will back the team again.
During the rebel season I used to leave the Vetch and walk to St Helens and the rugby was good, the crowds were good, often around 8000 so maybe that is why they chose that capacity and the hope they can improve it.
Then we can hope our football pitch will remain a better playing surface without rugby happening on it. I'm also pretty sure that for bigger games, where the O's can sell the tickets, they will be allowed to lease the Swansea.com if they want to.
Ospreys on 16:57 - Jul 9 with 281 viewsonehunglow

Ospreys on 16:12 - Jul 9 by SullutaCreturned

But he's POTY mun, he knows everything....

This is obviously great news for the city and the ground will be a proper rugby stadium, a proper home that the Ospreys can afford to run and if properly managed can benefit and grow in.
The Neath Ospreys won't be happy with it but maybe more Swansea people will back the team again.
During the rebel season I used to leave the Vetch and walk to St Helens and the rugby was good, the crowds were good, often around 8000 so maybe that is why they chose that capacity and the hope they can improve it.
Then we can hope our football pitch will remain a better playing surface without rugby happening on it. I'm also pretty sure that for bigger games, where the O's can sell the tickets, they will be allowed to lease the Swansea.com if they want to.

Bravo.
I had a little pithy riposte over “ hating” Neath rfc.
Dead right I did.
They were the Millwall of Welsh rugby.

I am certain thousands walked when Neath was used as part of the Brand

Swansea or nowt.

I would have had Swansea Cardiff Newport Llanelli as the pro regions.
East valley boys could make it with Newport ,Our own valley with Ospreys and the Turks ….

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024